Bill Conti's Masters of the Universe

Kevin

When I listened to Conti's score today, my intelligence was a bit insulted with the unoriginality of it all. The music feels like John Williams's less talented half brother wrote it. The superman march and the Death star theme are basically in the score. Holst makes frequent appearances through the bad guy theme.

But the listen is a guilty pleasure.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic score.....many scores can lay claim to the "unoriginality" complaint, and maybe this is not exactly innocent in that respect - but when a score is this much fun sometimes the listener just has to sit back and enjoy rather than over-analyse.

A comic book score for a comic book movie - what's not to like?

Fantastic score.....many scores can lay claim to the "unoriginality" complaint, and maybe this is not exactly innocent in that respect - but when a score is this much fun sometimes the listener just has to sit back and enjoy rather than over-analyse.

A comic book score for a comic book movie - what's not to like?

What if you don't read/understand the comic book reading mentality?

When I listened to Conti's score today, my intelligence was a bit insulted with the unoriginality of it all. The music feels like John Williams's less talented half brother wrote it.

I didnt knew the score was timpani beats all throughout... :angry:

j/k.

This is one score I regret not buying, even though it isn't currently demanding too much of a premium. I loved the movie as a kid, especially imitating the foul-mouthed police officer played by Back to the Future's Principal Strickland (which led to the video being taken away from me). Langella was incredible. This score was more of a holy grail for me than Back to the Future, absolutely.

This is one score I regret not buying, even though it isn't currently demanding too much of a premium. I loved the movie as a kid, especially imitating the foul-mouthed police officer played by Back to the Future's Principal Strickland (which led to the video being taken away from me). Langella was incredible. This score was more of a holy grail for me than Back to the Future, absolutely.

It seems is in stock at moviemusic.com for $28.99 which I think it's the standard price for 2 CDs limited edition sets.

A guilty pleasure that contains a hefty amount of childhood nostalgia for me. One of the first film scores I do remember from the film that made an impact. I guess the subject matter was so cool for a 6 or 7 year old that the music became somehow mystified along with it.

And I did buy the 2 disc set La La-Land Records put out that had the nice cheap 20$ pricetag. Even got Conti's autograph.

A lot of fun and rackuous music that might wear you down after barrage of high volume adventure/action stuff for nearly 77 minutes. But it is indeed a guilty pleasure. :)

I have a sealed copy (The La-La-Land release) and will consider offers for trade.

I'd sell my mother if she wasn't boney looking.

Less talented half brother? That particular score is one of the best scores ever composed, Even John Williams could not have composed such a marvellous score. There is no score that makes me feel so much than Conti's Masters of the Universe, its sublime fanfares and also the sombre moments. That score is more than 70 % of the film, the music really saves that film.

I have heard the claims that it sounds like Superman, but I do not hear any similarity.

Indeed.

It's okay, but I've never really seen the fuss about it. I wouldn't say it rips off John, but I wouldn't say it's particularly inspired either. Then again, when you look at the film it was composed for, you can understand.

I have heard the claims that it sounds like Superman, but I do not hear any similarity.

Sir, you must be deft!

Not at all. I really have tried to listen with care, maybe there are some similar note patterns but nothing big. It stands on its own.

• 2 weeks later...

Not that I hold anything against Conti's score (which I also own), but I really think that, had he been given a chance, Shuki Levy (who scored the original animated series) would surely have written a better score, but I guess the producers of the movie didn't even think of him. His main theme for He-Man and the MotU animated series (

) is probably my favourite TV series main theme.

I loved that cartoon when I was a child. I do think Conti should have used that theme in his score, even if just to make a connection with the cartoon, which was way better known and popular than the movie, cheesy and poorly animated as it was. Even as a kid I didn't like the movie at all and I was like 5 or 6 and completely loved He-Man and the toys.

I think Rocky is the only one of Stickman's albums that I have. I'll have to make familiarizing myself with Conti a New Year's resolution.