The How Well Do You Know Your Own Collection Challenge

Marian Schedenig

I accidentally unplugged my external harddrive before the computer had shut down yesterday, meaning that my Windows PC at work wouldn't mount it before I let Linux check the filesystem. So I was stuck in the office without my music collection and just a 30 track trial account of last.fm radio. It was quite interesting to figure out what each track would turn out to be.

So I thought: How many tracks of my own collection would I actually recognise in a random playlist taken from anything I have? And then I thought: Why not turn it into another guessing game for the board?

The rules:

1) You must have your entire collection (or at least most of it) on your computer/music player.

2) You must use a player which allows you to create a random playlist from everything in your collection.

3) You must try to guess, as close as possible, every track that plays, without looking at the playlist. It doesn't matter *when* you figure it out, just do it before you look at the playlist or it doesn't count. Try to guess composer/artist/score/work/title/scene/song name/whatever.

4) If you, like me, have stuff in your collection which you have never listened to, or gotten from a friend and only played once or twice without ever actually thinking of it as "owning it", and you don't recognise it, you may discard that track and pick another random track instead.

5) Something recognised more or less in full is worth three points. Just recognising the composer & work without the specific part of the work, or song without album, is worth two points. Recognising just the composer/artist: One point.

When done, post your result here.

Here's my first attempt:

Discarded: Richard Strauss: Die Frau ohne Schatten (got that one from Chris and never listened to it... recognised it as "probably that Strauss opera I have yet to listen to"); Blur: Beachcoma; Pet Shop Boys: The Theatre; Schubert: Symphony No. 4, 4th movement (recognised it as "probably a Schubert symphony")

1. Jerry Goldsmith - The Cassandra Crossing - I'm Still on My Way (Vocal): Recognised it as 70s Goldsmith, probably Cassandra Crossing [2]

2. John Williams: The Eiger Sanction- Theme from "The Eigher Sanction" (Hernlock and Jemma): Recognised composer & score [2]

3. The Rolling Stones: No Security - Out of Control (live): Everything [3]

4. The Rolling Stones: Shine A Light - As Tears Go By: Knew it was the Stones doing a live version of the song, didn't know which album [2]

5. Andrew Lloyd Webber: Jesus Christ Superstar - The Last Supper: Composer & work, but not track [2]

6. Christopher Young: Bless the Child - Introitus: Composer, score, first track (didn't remember track title) [3]

7. Loituma: Kuutamolla - Mikaelin kirkonkellot: Thought it was something by Die Knödel... [0]

8. Richard Wagner: Das Rheingold - Nicht so leicht und locker gefügt! (Böhm/Bayreuth recording): Composer, work, scene in the opera, recording [3]

9. Michael Nyman: Trombone Concerto - Section 1: Everything [3]

10. Alan Menken: Pocahontas - Pocahontas: Composer & score [2]

Total: 22 for 10 tracks

Average 2.2 per track

Your turn.

Interesting idea. I could do this about 5 years ago, but then my collection got too big and there are quite a few scores I rarely listen to.

I'll keep it just to scores as I barely know my classical and I know my songs too well.

1. Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Ahsoka. Didn't get this. Haven't had the entire OST very long and the beginning sounds very golden age.

2. Daylight - Latura's Theme. Didn't get this either. Theme was on the tip of my tongue.

3. The Incredible Hulk - It Was Banner. Ok, I'm useless at this game so far. I thought this was from The Matrix 2 or 3.

4. Armageddon - Sacrifice, Goodbye Gracie - I guessed the "Long Distance Landing, Goodbye" cue, but I believe one was a rescore, so technically I got the right sequence... (2)

5. Pirates: AWE - At Wit's End - Got this one right. (3)

6. Erin Brockovich - Water Board> Got this one right (3)

(so far this isn't representing my collection particularly well....)

7. The Abyss - Bud on the Ledge - I got Silvestri and The Abyss, but couldn't nail the cue (2)

8. 10,000 BC - End Credits - I guessed 10,000BC but I'm not that familiar with the score. (2)

9. Quantum of Solace - DC3 - Didn't get this.

10. Ice Age 3 - Nite Nite. Didn't get this one. Damn CD is too broken up even if you do know the score (which I don't).

That was a pathetic performance, I'm sorry :P

I did however like every cue that I just 'rediscovered'. That wouldn't have happened last year.

"The Planet Krypton (Alternate)" from Superman

"E.T. Is Alive!" from E.T. (and I could tell it apart from "E.T. Phone Home")

"Attack Of The Giant Fish" from Star Wars Episode I

"Fluffy's Harp" from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

"Yoda and the Younglings" from Star Wars Episode II

"E.T. And Me" from E.T.

"Finale And End Title March" from Superman

"Shark Attack" from Jaws

"Duel of the Fates" from Star Wars Episode I

"Main Title & Storm Sequence" from Dracula

I accidentally unplugged my external harddrive before the computer had shut down yesterday, meaning that my Windows PC at work wouldn't mount it before I let Linux check the filesystem.

? what did you do exactly? If you unplug your USB at the wrong moment it can screw up an external hard drive?...never heard of that.

Nice idea, Marian. Sounds like fun.

1. The Wind and the Lion, recognize the theme instantly. Don't know which cue. 2 (The Fleet's In)

2. DVD rip, Star Trek V. The cue where Sybok's followers take over Paradise City, segueing into the first Enterprise shot. I call it Paradise Lost. 3

3. Hook complete, called Peter Fails Hook's Test on the ConcordE b**t. 3

4. Final Fantasy VII, Anxious Heart. 3

5. Independence Day complete, Finale. 3

6. Hmm...piano, soft start...ah! Back to the Future III, the western theme! This is when Marty first arrives in the Western town, don't know the cue name. 2.5 (Hill Valley)

7. Action. Very good but it's not ringing a bell...Oh, Raiders March! Must be the Emperor's Tomb game score by Bajakian. No idea which cue, don't listen to it very often. Maybe I should, this is good. 2 (The Streets of Hong Kong)

8. The Two Towers CR, Thoeden Rides Forth. Great stuff. 3

9. LotR again, soft Minas Tirith theme. The Mirror of Galadrial from the Fellowship CR. 3

10. Wow...no idea. Wait, was that the Superman theme? Superman Returns? Sounds bland enough, and yep there's the wallpaper chorus. Don't know which cue. 2 (Parting Words)

Score: 26.5 out of 30. Wow, pretty good. And that was really fun, this might have me hooked for a while!

1. "What's this?" from Nightmare Before Christmas, Danny Elfman 3

2. "Family Life" from "Presumed Innocent", John Williams 1, I just got the composer right.

3. "Arrius' Party Parts 1 " from Ben Hur, Miklos Rozsa 1, just the composer again I though this was "El Cid" .

4. "Batman: The Terminator" from Batman: TAS The Last Laugh, Shirley Walker, 3, I even got the episode right.

5. "Princess Leia's Theme" from Star Wars, John Williams (from the Mehta recording), 3

6. "Valiant & Valiant" from Who framed Roger Rabbit, Alan Silvestri, 3

7. "Arthur's Fanfare" from First Knight, Jerry Goldsmith, 0... dammit, how did I miss it completely?

8. "The Rooftops Of The Hanamachi from Memoirs of a Geisah, John Williams, 0, I don't listen to this score very often, though it was maybe Shogun.

9. "Forced Flight" from King Solomon's Mines, Jerry Goldsmith, 2

10."Zool" from Ghostbusters, Elmer Bernstein, 3.

Total: 19.... man, that's not very good, and I got help from some very easy ones

I've limited my data set to only my soundtracks, rock, and classical music.

I randomized the list about 12 times, because I kept seeing the track titles, and I needed to go back into Winamp after the first song to set my keyboard audio control shortcuts and hide the taskbar, so I wouldn't have to take two hours to play this.

1) Danny Elfman, some track from "Spiderman" -- It was "On the Bus"; 2 points

2) Jerry Goldsmith, some track from "The Boys from Brazil", it sounds like the third track -- It IS the third track, "Frau Doring," wow, I have to give myself 3 points for this

3) REM, "The Place Where You Live" -- actually it's called "Stand" so the file is misnamed!; 1 point

4) Bruce Springsteen, "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" from the 3-disc live set 1975-1985 -- 3 points

5) Miklos Rozsa, the last track from the third disc of Tadlow's El Cid, which is the suite from "Double Indemnity" -- 3 points

6) Howard Shore, "Return of the King CR", it's definitely Moria music, probably when Sam and Frodo depart Minas Morgul -- "The Land of Shadow"; 3 points

7) Elmer Bernstein, "The Ten Commandments," some early track -- "Love and Ambition"; 3 points

8) "Heaven Isn't Too Far Away" by some 80s band. 38 Special? -- nope, Warrant's "Heaven"; 0 points

9) Journey's "Magestic" which opens the Captured album -- Yes x3; 3 points

10) It sounds like a song from a musical..."Thank You for the Music", but the only musical in the selection is "West Side Story" -- It's actually by ABBA, but I got the title right by guessing; 1 point

22 points, not bad. This was fun. I could see this becoming addictive.

6) Howard Shore, "Return of the King CR", it's definitely Moria music, probably when Sam and Frodo depart Minas Morgul -- "The Land of Shadow"; 3 points

Moria? Don't you mean Mordor? And you call yourself a Tolkien fan, you should knock a point off for that. :P

I would have done better mixing pop music with scores I think, cause a lot of it would be The Beatles or John, Paul, George or Ringo :P

1. Something from American Journey by John Williams: It was "Arts and Sports"--2 points

2. "Candle on the Water": It was "Candle on the Water"---3 points

3. Something from PotC: Black Pearl by Klaus Badelt/Hans Zimmer: It was "Wheel of Fortune"--1 point

4. Something from LotR: Return of the King by Howard Shore: It was "The Crack of Doom"--2 points

5. "Summon the Heroes" by JW: It was "Summon the Heroes"--3 points

6. "The Pier Incident" by John Williams: It was "Three Barrels Under"--2 points

7. "Han Solo and the Princess" by JW: It was "Han Solo and hte Princess"--3 points

8. My God, I have absolutely no clue....: It was "Cancelling Operation K"--0 points

9. Ugh...maybe something from The Ilusionist by Philip Glass?: It was "Politics is Theatre"---0 points

10. "Green Finch and Linnet Bird" by Stephen Sondheim, film version: It was "Green Finch and Linnet Bird"--3 points

Total: 19 points (30 possible)

Geeze, that's a 63%

I would fail miserably. So much in my iTunes I don't know/hardly listen to.

So would I, although I actually listen to mine.

Too much music and for some reason iTunes loves to play Akira Ifukube for most of the cues when I have it or my iPod on shuffle.

Guess: Howard Shore, Lord Of The Rings

Actual: "The Road To Isengard" from Return Of The King

Guess: Charlie's Theme/Struggle from LOST - Michael Giacchino

Actual: "Charlie's Fate"

Guess: Moby, Play

Actual: "Rushing"

Guess: "Operation Varsity" from MOH Airborne - Michael Giacchino

Actual: ""

Guess: John Powell

Actual: "Ambushed" from Jax And Daxter: The Lost Frontier - James Dooley

Guess: John Williams

Actual: "Destruction Of Alderaan" from ESB

Guess: John Williams, Star Wars

Actual: "Hail To The Winner, Anakin Skywalker" from TPM

Guess: --

Actual: "Pie Hole Holding" from Pushing Dasies - James dooley

Actual: "Victor's Deception" from Corpse Bride, Danny Elfman

Actual: "You're Alive" from New Moon, Alexandre Desplat

Guess: Some Golden Age composer

Actual: "For Spain/Farewell" from El Cid, Miklo Rozsa

TOTAL: 14 out of 30

Guess: John Williams

Actual: "Destruction Of Alderaan" from ESB

Wow, you've totally f***** up that one big time, even your iTunes screwed it up. ;)

Redemption attempt for me:

1. Quiet, synthy, sounds like 90s JNH.

Answer: Typset from Snow Falling on Cedars. (1)

2. MV sounding, something from The Rock

Answer: 3, 2, 1 from Crimson Tide.

3. Very light cue with piano melody that I recognise.

Answer: Salt Fractal from The Seeker: The Dark is Rising (Christophe Beck). Wouldn't have got that - had the score for only a few days.

4. Something from Beyond Rangoon, but every 'relaxing' cue in this score sounds the same.

Answer: Memories of the Dead from Beyond Rangoon. (1)

5. Vancouver Headquarters from Dante's Peak. (3)

6. Something from BTTF 2 or 3. It's got too generic a passage to be more specific.

Answer: A Flying Delorean (1)

7. Siren from Isham's Crash. (3)

8. The Township of East from The Witches of Eastwick (3)

9. Visions from JNH's Unbreakable (3)

10. Hmm, very dark and foreboding but not a composing style I recognise well. Maybe something from Christophe Beck's Buffy?

Nope, there's weird dialogue, it's something from The X-Files.

Answer: Memoria. (1)

16/30. Better than my first go. This was fun.

I would fail miserably. So much in my iTunes I don't know/hardly listen to.

So would I, although I actually listen to mine.

Too much music and for some reason iTunes loves to play Akira Ifukube for most of the cues when I have it or my iPod on shuffle.

That may because you have "Display: Recently Played Songs" selected at a certain number. I'm not sure what iTunes means by "upcoming songs," I assume it's just random.

Some good performances there. I probably suck at it. 10 years ago I think I could have named every single cue in my collection, now my first score probably makes me look better than I am.

? what did you do exactly? If you unplug your USB at the wrong moment it can screw up an external hard drive?...never heard of that.

Didn't screw it up. But it recognises that the hard disk wasn't unmounted cleanly, prompting a security scan at the next boot. The Windows drivers for the ext3 file system can't do the scan and refuse to mount the drive (a security measure I guess).

7. Loituma: Kuutamolla - Mikaelin kirkonkellot

I think this should have been easy... some folkmusic from Finland...

Where in the world you got this...?

On the interwebs. At times it sounds quite similar to the Austrian group Die Knödel, and since there was no singing before I decided it was them and checked the track info...

1. Zelda: Twilight Princess. A location cue...I should know this...Oderon Village? (Bah, Lake Hylia!) 2

2. Back to the Future II, End Credits. 3

3. Star Trek: Nemesis, Ideals. 3

4. Nemesis again. I'm not sure how good this randomizer is, I should try another program. One of the quiet Shinzon cues, they tend to blend together. (The Knife) 2.5

5. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Reunion of Friends. 3

6. Wow, mega synthy...something from Super Mario RPG? (Yes, Weapons Factory) 2

7. Twilight Princess again, not a surprise, there's over 6 hours worth! One of the mini-games, the River Game. 3

8. Chrono Trigger, the AD 600 world map cue. 3

9. I am completely stumped. It sounds like a concert piece, but I'm drawing a blank. (The Seduction of Suki/The Ballroom Scene, The Witches of Eastwick. Man, a centerpiece cue. I hardly listen to it) DUD 0

10. Farscape, Into the Lion's Den part 2, opening cue. 3

Score- 24.5 out of 30. Hey, with a (really dumb) 0 that's pretty good.

Second go:

1. Twilight Zone from Pops Out of this Wolrd, very easy 3

2. Remembrances from Schindler's List (Williams on Williams) 3

3. Victor's Deception from Corpse Bride 2... I should have known this one, it's my favorite score from 2005, listened to it a lot back then

4. The Return from 7th Voyage of Sinbad 2

5. The Womping Willow / Snowball Figth from Azkaban 3

6. The Godfather's at home from The Godfather II, 3

7. Overworld hurry up from Super Mario Bros, 3

8. The Hanging from BTTF 3, 2

9. The Menu from Jaws 2, 2

10. Fighting for Dough from Far and Away, 2

Total: 25, I did better, probably because my iPod was in a Williams mood.

1 - Pretty sure it's Doctor Who... Thinking "Survival" by Dominic Glynn... track title, who knows... "Dinner Time" apparently. Oh well. 2 pts

2 - Raiders March, obviously... but which one? Orchestration/etc. sounds "Raiders"-ey. I'm going with "Raiders". JW of course. Ah, crap, KOTCS. Close. 2 pts

3 - We Didn't Start the Fire, Billy Joel, off of "Storm Front". 3 pts

4 - Elvis. Treat Me Like a Fool. Off of "1"? Dang, nope, 2nd to None. 2 pts

5 - They Might Be Giants... Flood... track name, trickier... "Hearing Aid"? Yes! 3 pts

6 - Some filmscore... Bond? David Arnold... which one... A Brosnan, I think... "Tomorrow Never Dies" is my guess, but no idea on track title. Dang. "Die Another Day" (no wonder I didn't recognize it), "Some Kind of Hero". 1 pt

7 - "Are You and Me Gonna Happen" by E, album "A Man Called (E)". 3 pts

8 - "Scorpio" song from "The Simpsons". Alf Clausen? Hmm, nope, iTunes says Sally Stevens. "Go Simpsonic with the Simpsons". 2 pts

9 - "Tied to the Whipping Post", Allman Brothers Band, I'm guessing from Freaks & Geeks. Yep! 3 pts

10 - Smiths, "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want"... Best I? Yep! 3 pts

Total: 24

Average: 2.4

OK having so much fun, here's round 2 from me...

1 - "Doctor Who", "This is Gallifrey", Season 3, Murray Gold. Hmm, weird both rounds started with a "Doctor Who". 3 pts

2 - "Fat Bottomed Girls", Queen, Greatest Hits. Ah, crap, off of Freaks & Geeks again. 2 pts

3 - Percussion-y. Deep. LOTR-ish. Nope, there's some Horneresque Irish pipes. Braveheart, James Horner, no idea of the track. "Sons of Scotland" apparently. 2 pts

4 - Harp. Ah, Bond, John Barry, "You Only Live Twice". Track title, no idea. "The Wedding". 2 pts

5 - "Walking in Your Footsteps" by the Police, Synchronicity. 3 pts

6 - Bond, gunbarrel, John Barry. "On Her Majesty's Secret Service". Close, title is "This Never Happened To The Other Feller". Knew it wasn't just "Gunbarrel". 2 pts

7 - Dang, I should know this one. John Barry, I think. Whoa, nope. "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Vol 2", "Albert Schweitzer, Prisoner of War (The Congo 1917), Joel McNeely". 0 pts

8 - Something from LOTR. So Howard Shore. I'm guessing "Return of the King", no idea of the track. Aw crap, "The Caves of Isengard" from "Fellowship". 1 pt

9 - JW. Star Wars Episode III - Revenge of the Sith. What's the dang track, I know which one this is... Anakin and the Children or something like that? Sigh, nope, "Greivous Travels to Palpatine (Choirless). 2 pts

10 - Hmmm. "Bram Stoker's Dracula", by Woijeich (sp?) Kilar. Can't remember track title. "Lucy's Party". 2 pts

Total: 19

Average: 1.9

Getting worse! Better quit!

I tried again:

1. It has lots of synths, I'll guess Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story: It was "The Challenge Fight Warm-up"---2 points

2. Maybe something by JNH? From Atlantis perhaps?: It was "Mermaids"--1 points

3. "Beauty and the Beast" It was "Beauty and the Beast"--3 points

4. "I Just Can't Wait To Be King" It was: "I Just Can't Wait to be King"--3 points

5. From Forrest Gump: It was: "The Wedding Guest" -- 2 points

6. "New Arrival": It was "New Arrival"---3 points

7. I'll guess something from M:i:III: It was "Donnagon's Big Office/The Giggles"--0 points

8. "Love Pledge and the Arena": It was "Love Pledge/The Arena"--3 points

9. from Mission: Impossible: It was "Red Handed"--2 points

10. from Edward Scissorhands: It was "Beautiful New World/Home Sweet Home"--2 points

Total: 22

2 - "Fat Bottomed Girls", Queen, Greatest Hits. Ah, crap, off of Freaks & Geeks again. 2 pts

Well, with compilations, as long as the versions are identical, it should be sufficient to name *one* album on which it appears, not necessarily the one your player picked it from (how could you know). Of course, ideally you'd say... let me see :) ...Jazz. ;)

This is about as boring as tits on a camel

If it wasn't you, I'd ask if you preferred toes. :P

Here's my 2nd try:

1. Americana... harmonica... some Western... Golden Age? I know that theme... - How the West Was Won (and I even considered it, but didn't dare guess it) - 0 pts

2. Giacchino... MI:III? (Or Lost 4?) - MI:III: IMF Escape - 2 pts

X. Guitar, strings, female singer.... do I know this? Lyrics don't help... Picture of My Life/So Good to Feel Real (Jamiroquai - discarded)

X. Sounds funky... never haerd it... where does all this stuff come from? Jamoroquai - discarded (turns out it was still the same track)

3. Prokofiev, Lt. Kije... sounds a bit different than I'm used to, probably Abbado... first cue? - II. Romance, Previn - 2 pts

4. Goldsmith, Hollow Man.... opening track? no... This is Science?... no... the track after that - Not Right - 3 pts

5. Horner, Casper... hard to believe Murphy could once record bass sounds so well - Strangers in the House - 2 pts

X. Strange noise carried over from previous track... guitar... Dear Prudence, The Beatles (although I'm admittedly only familiar with it as a song title - no idea from which album)... discarded

6. Moody strings... woods play a lovely theme I don't know... short - The Man in the Iron Mask: The Queen Approaches (perhaps I should give this another try, although the ending did seem a bit MVish to me) - 0 pts

X. Wolfgang Ambros, something from Watzman, never listened to it.... - discarded, but would be 2 points

7. Coldplay, Glass of Water, Prospekt's March - 3 pts

8. JNH, Lady in the Water, opening track? boot? - The Village: The Shed Not to Be Used - 1 pt

9. Baroque... string, choir... Bach, B minor mass? - Kyrie - 2 pts

10. Shostakovich, Hamlet - To Be or Not to Be - 2 pts

Total: 17, Average: 1.7... lame

"Prologue" from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (made sure it wasn't "Prologue: Book II")

"Where Dreams Are Born" from A.I. (eh...)

"Anakin's Dream" from Episode III (what a crappy album edit--why does JW suck at that sort of thing now?)

"Darth Sidious And Darth Maul" from Episode I

"The Imperial March" from By Request... (not as good as the ESB CD recording or the Skywalker Symphony)

"I Can't Believe It's Real" from Close Encounters (I confused this with the film track initially)

"Star Wars Main Title and The Arrival at Naboo" from Episode I (needed to sit through this one to figure it out for obvious reasons)

"E.T. Is Alive!" from E.T. (second occurrence!)

"Remembrances" from Schindler's List (album)

"The Big Rescue" from Superman (yeah!)

I'd like to play as well, I'm curious how well I (still) know my collection, as there are many scores (and classical albums) I've not listened to in a long time... but at the moment I don'T have the means to store my collection in the PC :/

I don't get the discard rule here. It effectively makes this a 'How well do you know the parts of your own collection which you know' challenge

There's too much stuff in my collection I've absolutely never listened to and don't know I even, or only kept as a personal copy when I got the CD for someone else. I don't discard anything I pick up myself.

Love the idea Marian. I actually discovered this exercise myself a while back. Although I usually suck at it too much, and stick just to the composer.

It'd be easier if I could split my collection into stuff I should know and stuff that just crept into my collection. Also, all those early-years Williams and Goldsmith of recent years probably mean that I couldn't even get top marks for these two composers. And it's been years since I paid attention to track titles (at one point, I could probably have listed the JP track listing just from memory).

Same here, track titles are tough, unless it's a score I listen to a lot.

Indeed...which is why I know I'd suck at this test. A lot of expanded/complete stuff in my collection I've never listened to. There are also some Limited Edition CD's that I have bought, I've only listened to once or twice since I have gotten them.

I've gotten the same way. As my collection's expanded the track titles seem to matter less and less.

That's why I consider it enough (i.e. worth 1 point) to know where from the score/movie/work a cue is, even if you don't know the title. E.g. I knew that the Hollow Man cue followed after This is Science, and in other cases I might not know the track title but I might know the scene it accompanies. Of course, it's even more difficult for operas, where the track splits are arbitrary and the track titles are just the first few words of that track's lyrics.

It's simpler though for songs, obviously. ;)

Moria? Don't you mean Mordor? And you call yourself a Tolkien fan, you should knock a point off for that. ;)

Oops, I did mean Mordor. I knew what I meant even my fingers didn't.

I've gotten the same way. As my collection's expanded the track titles seem to matter less and less.

That's why I consider it enough (i.e. worth 1 point) to know where from the score/movie/work a cue is, even if you don't know the title. E.g. I knew that the Hollow Man cue followed after This is Science, and in other cases I might not know the track title but I might know the scene it accompanies. Of course, it's even more difficult for operas, where the track splits are arbitrary and the track titles are just the first few words of that track's lyrics.

It's simpler though for songs, obviously. ;)

I've been docking myself a half point when I know generally where a cue goes but not the exact place or the name.

Yes, especially if you're on a 4th release of something, ie Star Wars, that changes the damn titles with every release.

Plus the iTunes database doesn't have translations for some of my Akira Ifukube scores. Some his scores have over 60 tracks and translating Japanese to English can make for some long track titles. So I just leave them in Japanese and put the CD title in English.

"A New Hope And End Credits" from Revenge of the Sith

"The Racer Roars To Life / Anakin's Midi-Chlorian Count" from The Phantom Menace

"Anakin's Theme" from The Phantom Menace

"Marcus Is Captured/To Berlin" from The Last Crusade

"Secrets Of The Castle" from the Prisoner of Azkaban

"Theme from JAWS" from By Request...

"Watto's Deal / Shmi And Qui-Gon Talk" from The Phantom Menace

"The Snake Pit" from the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

"The Scroll/To Pankot Palace" from the Temple of Doom

Finally, one track I could NOT nail...

"Isabel's Picture Gallery" from Stepmom