New Varèse Club releases

TownerFan

http://www.varesesarabande.com/News.asp

CD CLUB HOLIDAY EDITION!

Date: 11/30/2009

A holiday trio of Yuletide merriment will appear under the Varèse Sarabande Christmas tree on December 7. Get up early for something to celebrate.

Man, this is becoming heavy... ;)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe one of these will be Scrooged?

I, too, would like to get the complete score to this. However... It's been years since I've read the liner notes to Music for a Darkened Theatre, but I recall that Elfman states the total length of this score as being on the short side (20-25 minutes). Can anyone please confirm?

Also, can we get a full length version of "The Night the Reindeer Died"? I'm surprised that no one has made this yet.

Truth be told, I am not particularly excited about Scrooged, I just have the very peculiar sensation that it will be released this year. And while I do not have the Music for a Darkened Theater albums, I too seem to recall hearing that the score was not very long. If that is true, and the score is being released, then I think it is safe to assume that it would be doubled with another score.

Here's what he says on the liner notes from Music for a Darkened Theatre:

"The original tone of this film, as you can hear in the music, was much darker than what ended up on screen. Although the score was a pleasure to write, it was pretty much buried in the final film. Another one of "life's bitter pills"... Oh well"

So, no mention about lenght. I like what's on the CD so I'll probably get it if released. I hardly remember anything about the film other than going to the theater when I was quite young (7 or 8) and very disappointed since, in an act of great merchandising, the movie was called "The ghost strike back" in Mexico and with Bill Murray starring most people where expecting some sort of Ghostbusters sequel. I then noticed it was the same story from a "Mickey's Christmas Carol" which was my first introduction to the story of Scrooge.

Thank you for checking.

Now I gotta figure out where I got that length estimate. It's one of those things that get me thinking about how my Grandma had Alzheimer's and that it is genetic...

I want it complete and remastered. The DVD released a few years back has a phenomenal 5.1 audio track and the music sounds so much better than on CD. There are a few highlights I seek: the best part of the entire score, when Kevin says goodnight to the photo of his family, the complete "Attack on the House" with the film version of the swing to the treehouse.

I wonder if Varese will have something special in this batch to try and go out with a bang like the other labels have.

Perhaps a major Universal title is coming.

I would say Dracula, Family Plot or Sugarland Express, although Williams has nixed that one.

But there are quite a bit of Universal titles that are wanted by the film score community. Too many to list. But it's been rumored that Varese has a bunch of Universal titles on their docket.

Didn't Varese promise something huge this year on the occasion of their nth release or so?

Robert Townson said his own 1000th produced album will be something truly special, but it will be released in 2010. The general consensus among fans is that the 1000th release will be Alex North's Spartacus.

However, it seems that the gates are completely open for the soundtrack labels, so I guess there will be something cool in this upcoming Varèse batch. I'm sure a Goldsmith title will be one of the three, probably The List of Adrian Messenger, as Varèse said they're now sifting through the Universal catalog. But I have a feel there will be a Williams title as well.

I was hoping this fabled Trek vol 2 was going to appear this year, but we're running out of time for that. Besides, I'd much rather they spent their time producing a grail for Dec 7th :D (while BTTF was an important release which I'm excited about, I have yet to see a true personal grail released)

Damn I wish Varese gave clues!

How many releases are we away from the 1,000th at this point? We've been teased about it for over a year now!

Actually we may have already passed the actual 1000th number.

Remember that CDs may not be released in their actual numerical order. Robert Townson posted on Varese's Facebook page that the album would likely slip into early 2010.

It certainly won't be the complete score to Hook. Dracula? Family Plot? Home Alone?? Please.

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for Home Alone. Varese's HA2 is one of my very favourite soundtrack treasures and I can only hope that someday, the first one would also receive the same treatment. Were that already to happen this year, along with BttF it would be my perfect Christmas/New Year's gift. ;)

I would not mind Hook, Dracula or Home Alone complete score. Even Family Plot would be nice.

I'd buy Hook. Others not so much, although I haven't seen Home Alone recently enough to know what's missing

I just have a hard time picturing Williams limited releases though given how little interest he has in seeing any of his music released in a decent form.

As I suggested earlier, I doubt it will be anything Christmas related. Also as others have stated earlier (I think it was Mark O?) Varese never gives hints at its releases. They just said they're releasing 3 scores on Monday.

I just have a hard time picturing Williams limited releases though given how little interest he has in seeing any of his music released in a decent form.

So do I. I can easily see all three releases being pass-o-ramas. An obscure Goldsmith score and two other composers/scores I've never even heard of.

Well Williams has approved some releases but he has also nixed a release, The Sugarland Express.

I don't know how much he is involved on certain releases. It appears whenever Laurent Bouzereau does a release, Williams is involved somehow. I don't think they got his approval when the did the RCA Special Editions and I don't think FSM or Intrada sought his approval for any of their releases.

Now there are some scores that you can't expect the smaller labels to release, like the Prequels and Harry Potter. those are in Lucasfilm and Warner's hands.

I'd like to think they have something that would get us excited, I'd hate for this to be a lackluster event after everything we just got from LaLaLand, FSM, and Intrada.

Well Varese always seems to get crapped on, even when they don't release a "big one", which is a shame because their club releases are all quality scores.

I have yet to be disappointed by any of Varese's club batches, of course I don't worry about whether or not I've seen the film and some of my purchasing habits are based on the composer.

Well Williams has approved some releases but he has also nixed a release, The Sugarland Express.

I don't know how much he is involved on certain releases. It appears whenever Laurent Bouzereau does a release, Williams is involved somehow. I don't think they got his approval when the did the RCA Special Editions and I don't think FSM or Intrada sought his approval for any of their releases.

Now there are some scores that you can't expect the smaller labels to release, like the Prequels and Harry Potter. those are in Lucasfilm and Warner's hands.

I'd like to think they have something that would get us excited, I'd hate for this to be a lackluster event after everything we just got from LaLaLand, FSM, and Intrada.

Well Varese always seems to get crapped on, even when they don't release a "big one", which is a shame because their club releases are all quality scores.

I have yet to be disappointed by any of Varese's club batches, of course I don't worry about whether or not I've seen the film and some of my purchasing habits are based on the composer.

I agree, they've done some brilliant club releases.

The labels don't need composer approval to release a score?

I'd heard about the Sugarland Express thing. Could Williams really just say "I don't want this released" and that's it?

Maybe WB will consider a 10-year anniversary score release for at least the first Potter.

As I suggested earlier, I doubt it will be anything Christmas related.Also as others have stated earlier (I think it was Mark O?) Varesenever gives hints at its releases. They just said they're releasing 3scores on Monday.

Doesn't stop us discussing Christmas scores though. And I know far better than to interpret anything Varese says as a clue.

Depends on who owns the rights. Standard for studio films is that the studio owns the rights to the score, but sometimes a composer will do a score for less than his normal fee and retain the rights. I read that Horner had that arrangement for a film in the '80s (Testament, I think) and it may be the deal that Williams had with The Sugarland Express. On more than one occasion, Jerry Goldsmith expressed a desire to have less of his music released on soundtracks albums.

Well I'm sure Williams might have more clout than some composers, especially at Universal. But yes Intrada looked into the Sugarland Express and Williams requested Universal not allow it, or something along that line.

But from what I understand quite a few of the Williams expanded / complete releases did not go thru him for approval.

I would think most composers would like to be involved somewhat. Jerry Goldsmith had some say in his releases. Sony had to get permission, in writing from Goldsmith, what cues to use on the 20th Anniversary ST:TMP set. That was one of the reasons for the delay from what was posted at FSM many years ago. I believe he nixed some cues off the album.

I believe Doug Fake mentioned that Goldsmith wasn't against alot of his music being released but he wanted to be involved in the process.

The music doesn't belong to the composer, it belongs to the studios. Fortunately most composers have been helpful and approve of their music being released. Even providing the material they have if the masters have been lost or damaged.

Perhaps Neil could chime in since that's his field of expertise these days. :)