New Varèse Club releases

TownerFan

Well Williams has approved some releases but he has also nixed a release, The Sugarland Express.

I don't know how much he is involved on certain releases. It appears whenever Laurent Bouzereau does a release, Williams is involved somehow. I don't think they got his approval when the did the RCA Special Editions and I don't think FSM or Intrada sought his approval for any of their releases.

Now there are some scores that you can't expect the smaller labels to release, like the Prequels and Harry Potter. those are in Lucasfilm and Warner's hands.

I'd like to think they have something that would get us excited, I'd hate for this to be a lackluster event after everything we just got from LaLaLand, FSM, and Intrada.

Well Varese always seems to get crapped on, even when they don't release a "big one", which is a shame because their club releases are all quality scores.

I have yet to be disappointed by any of Varese's club batches, of course I don't worry about whether or not I've seen the film and some of my purchasing habits are based on the composer.

I agree, they've done some brilliant club releases.

I'm usually pretty happy with at least one title from each batch. I've only once ordered an entire batch, though.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think most composers would like to be involved somewhat. Jerry Goldsmith had some say in his releases. Sony had to get permission, in writing from Goldsmith, what cues to use on the 20th Anniversary ST:TMP set. That was one of the reasons for the delay from what was posted at FSM many years ago. I believe he nixed some cues off the album.

Yes, I'd always heard that the reason the second disc was all interviews is because Goldsmith didn't want the complete score released.

I know we're not exactly 'entitled' to scores automatically, but I really do feel a composer is being a bit selfish when they want to prevent a release entirely, especially to a limited label.

I've only got one Varese club CD, Nightwing, and that was based on the samples. I would've got Home Alone 2 as well, but that unfortunately sold out before I really knew who Varese were and the limited nature of the product.

Very cautiously optimistic about the Dec 7th batch with Universal's doors apparently wide open.

He always said he didn't like long releases. He got bored with them, so I guess that meant the rest of us did too. :)

Granted, he usually did a better job of album edits than Williams does. But I'm still happy about the expanded releases, although in more cases than with Williams' scores, the additional material doesn't add all that much (think Final Conflict, for example).

Home Alone 2 finally sold out? Huh, didn't know that. That set was my first Varèse Club purchase.

Now if only I could go back in time and snag a copy of their Die Hard release...

Yup Home Alone 2 sold out a few months ago.

You and me both about Die Hard.

Perhaps Neil could chime in since that's his field of expertise these days. :)

The composers are no longer with us on most of the albums on which I work. I did work closely with Arthur B. Rubinstein on "Whose Life Is It Anyway?" and he had very specific requests for the presentation, and who was I to debate the composer of the music?

Neil

I've read online smatterings that suggest Varese will present out-of-sale albums at iTunes for online purchase, even though there's no list yet. I'm optimistic they'll dig deep into their archives to put some of these limited editions there, but I have a feeling that the limited licenses will make it prohibitive.

I don't see why they wouldn't go into their archives. If a CD is merely OOP, then it's because they can't justify pressing CDs, and putting the music on download services solves that problem.

But yes, limited editions would be problematic.

Although one of these days, the labels, and indeed the AFM, are going to have to wake up and face the fact that all limited releases end up online anyway (although I'll make it clear now that I consider downloading a LE before it's sold out to be very inappropriate).

I don't understand how it's inappropriate. You already know whether you're going to buy something or not. Would simply waiting for it to sell out justify the downloading somehow? You're still downloading it, when you do so seems irrelevant to me.

Sorry, didn't word that right.

I meant downloading it, with no intention of buying it, before it's actually sold out. That's certainly depriving the label of revenue until someone else comes along to pay for it.

Downloading after it's sold out is a different matter IMO, as the label has sold all the units it produced. That's what the label can't really control.

I really would like what are the reasong of Williams not wanting Sugarland to be released.

The music is not bad and he had a good time doing it, since the stuck with Spielberg for life.

Only thing i can think of is that it was ghostwritten...

Or maybe has something to do with his lost wife? :/

I really would like what are the reasong of Williams not wanting Sugarland to be released.

The music is not bad and he had a good time doing it, since the stuck with Spielberg for life.

His reason was that he felt the theme represented the score enough and that was already available on his Boston Pops recording.

Personally I think this is a very important score in Williams' history and needs to be released.

His reason was that he felt the theme represented the score enough and that was already available on his Boston Pops recording.

Personally I think this is a very important score in Williams' history and needs to be released.

As much as i love williams, that day he spat bulls*it...

Like if he has not released other one theme driven scores.

Thanks to a helpful composer now there you have a score i would like to surface as a good quality BOOTLEG :angry:

I saw a post on FSM that says this:

The cat is out of the bag the releases are:

1. "List of Adrian Messanger"- Goldsmith

2. "Where's Jack"- Bernstein

3. "Unchained"- North

But I have no idea if its real or not

Somebody else posted a cover of a Deluxe Edition of Conan The Barbarian, but that is almost certainly fake

It is, I checked the url and it comes from that person's personal site directory.

I also believe the person who posted that list has done so in the past with similar wrong results.

Although the North and Goldsmith title would be most welcome, especially The List Of Adrian Messanger.

I hope it's true for the Goldsmith and North titles.

I know alot of people will be happy if the Goldsmith title is true.

Actually I'll probably be happy with whatever they release, unless it's he and his organization who shall not be named.

:angry:

I know alot of people will be happy if the Goldsmith title is true.

I recently saw the film and it's a fabulous score, with the fox hunt cues being tree-dynamiting stuff. It's all rather melodic despite the genre. The only drawback would be the archaic recording quality.

I don't want any of those. And don't lecture me on why these three (potential) releases are for the greater good or how I need to expand my musical horizons. I still don't want any of these. Couldn't the Goldsmith at least be something more interesting, like say Gremlins?

I don't want any of those. And don't lecture me on why these three (potential) releases are for the greater good or how I need to expand my musical horizons. I still don't want any of these. Couldn't the Goldsmith at least be something more interesting, like say Gremlins?

No, because it would require a lecture to you. If you don't want it, don't buy it. I've passed on some releases I consider worthless but I'm not going to criticize the labels or their releases because I know somewhere someone just had their dream come true.

I would tell you that I think FSM or LaLaLand will be the one to release Gremlins.

Whether 'pass' is being mistaken for "the labels are wasting their time with this old rubbish" I don't know, but that couldn't be further from what I think. Every batch invariably will have someone's grail, and that's fantastic.

Really, that's what I view Intrada and Varese club batches as - a steady trickle of grails, a small number of which will interest certain people here at the moment given how old some of it is.

Hence I also feel the 'lecture threat' quite often. But hey, if you enjoy and buy every limited release, you spend a bomb and wouldn't have the time to listen to it all.

If...and I do mean by IF that list is accurate, I can say I'll happily pass those.

Rich is right, every batch will have a grail for someone and I agree with him too that, that is great. But not every release is for everyone. Just like when The Matrix Deluxe Edition was released...I was surprised yet happy about that and that was the only one from that batch I had gotten.

The Matrix was one of those releases that by my own criteria I should've welcomed with open arms. Problem was that it didn't have the entire score, and even with the additional music they still managed to edit out several key favourite moments. I think they dropped the ball with that one a bit.

The Matrix was one of those releases that by my own criteria I should've welcomed with open arms. Problem was that it didn't have the entire score, and even with the additional music they still managed to edit out several key favourite moments. I think they dropped the ball with that one a bit.

Good point...and I too was a bit irritated that they still had "Main Title / Trinity Infinity", "Nascent Nauseous Neo", and "Ontological Shock" edited. They should have released this score and Stargate as the entire full score. Ya they probably would have had to put both on 2-CD's...but still.

Edit: BTW who's SillyString?

This condescending douche on FSM who thinks he's the ultimate know-it-all of film scores and labels. Can't take a joke, believes his opinions are facts, and shuts down anyone who doesn't "believe in his facts."

This condescending douche on FSM who thinks he's the ultimate know-it-all of film scores and labels. Can't take a joke, believes his opinions are facts, and shuts down anyone who doesn't "believe in his facts."

Al Gore posts at FSM?

No, because it would require a lecture to you. If you don't want it, don't buy it. I've passed on some releases I consider worthless but I'm not going to criticize the labels or their releases because I know somewhere someone just had their dream come true.

I would tell you that I think FSM or LaLaLand will be the one to release Gremlins.

Yeah, and then the constant whining will stop, hopefully. Then let's give them FAMILY PLOT, BLACK SUNDAY and HOOK and let's hope that will put an end to the unfortunate messageboarder habit of bitching about any release which doesn't fulfill their own tiny agenda.

Al Gore posts at FSM?

;)

My first thought was Ford Thaxton.

Bird Of Paradise / Lydia Bailey

by Daniele Amfitheatrof, Hugo Friedhofer

Limited Edition of 1000 copies

Revolution

by John Corigliano

This title will be released in stores, but not until later next year.

Freud: The Deluxe Edition

by Jerry Goldsmith

Limited Edition of 3000 copies

Hmmm...... I will buy the Goldsmith, but not until next year, if it is still available.

Bird Of Paradise / Lydia Bailey

by Daniele Amfitheatrof, Hugo Friedhofer

Limited Edition of 1000 copies

Revolution

by John Corigliano

This title will be released in stores, but not until later next year.

Freud: The Deluxe Edition

by Jerry Goldsmith

Limited Edition of 3000 copies

Hmmm...... I will buy the Goldsmith, but not until next year, if it is still available.

I don't know, the Goldsmith and Corigliano may be intellectually stimulating music, but i ain't gonna listen to either of them. The Amfitheatrof is just not my kind of music.

BUT...

Kudos to Varése for releasing stuff which is much more challenging (and a harder sell) than a lot of the fast sellouts of recent months. I know King Mark and cohorts will dismiss it roundly, but someone who desperately wanted this or Crime in the Streets (a brilliant Waxman) knows how much he/she owes to Varése.

Some people will dismiss them just because they're not John Williams.

Did you know we've only had one Williams release this year?! :P