New Varèse Club releases

TownerFan

Hats off to Varese for digging deep into the annals of soundtrack history (50s, 60s) and getting scores released that people never thought would be. It's optimistic of things to come.

That being said, the two limiteds don't interest me, and while the Revolution clips sound nice, I will probably wait until it hits stores to not incur shipping for one album, with no other must-have on the horizon. I don't want to tack it onto my MovieMusic order because that contains a Christmas present I don't want delayed.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freud is a much welcomed release. Finally.

Whew, thank god there is only one I want out of this batch. ;)

Now those who are truly anal about constructing the proper release of their scores can truly do an ultimate edition of Alien. ;)

Some people will dismiss them just because they're not John Williams.

Did you know we've only had one Williams release this year?! :P

I will also point out a fact that some people here fail to mention, Williams had quite a bit of his stuff expanded and released before these labels really took off.

He started getting his scores expanded in the 90's, he already had releases for most of his scores upon the films original release and also his regular releases are usually longer than most other composers.

So for those who cry, not you Maxxie, they are ignoring the facts.

For all we know, Williams has projects in the pipe we don't know about.

Examine the bottom of your Back to the Future album. The year given is 2008. The year on the back cover of In Search of Peace is 2009. Both albums were released on the same day about five weeks before the start of 2010.

Who are we to know of the releases to come, which we cannot dream of just yet?

I will also point out a fact that some people here fail to mention, Williams had quite a bit of his stuff expanded and released before these labels really took off.

He started getting his scores expanded in the 90's, he already had releases for most of his scores upon the films original release and also his regular releases are usually longer than most other composers.

So for those who cry, not you Maxxie, they are ignoring the facts.

Oh I know that Mark, and I'm in complete agreement with you. ;)

I'm satisfied with all my Williams albums, with perhaps the exception of Harry Potter 1. :P

I can safely say these three are ones I won't be getting, which I'm a bit thankful for. Kudos to Varese for releasing these though, especially for those that wanted them. The only CD now that I have to wait to arrive is La-La Land's The Fugitive.

For all we know, Williams has projects in the pipe we don't know about.

Examine the bottom of your Back to the Future album. The year given is 2008. The year on the back cover of In Search of Peace is 2009. Both albums were released on the same day about five weeks before the start of 2010.

Who are we to know of the releases to come, which we cannot dream of just yet?

Roger from Intrada mentioned they have a disc coming out in 2010 that they have been working on for 8 years. Robert Townson mention in the Lonely Are The Brave liner notes that Jerry Goldsmith knew a release was in the works before he passed and that was 5 years ago.

I believe Lukas Kendall mentioned that they started on the Rozsa box set in 2004.

Plus most of Williams' unreleased / in need of expansion scores come from Universal and Paramount. And those doors just opened.

As was mentioned several years ago by either Nick Redman, M Matessino, Doug Fake or Lukas Kendall, I can't remember, the labels know what we want and if they can release it, they will or they will try to get it done.

But they also have to gauge the fan interest, just because 400 fans of one composer want a release doesn't mean it's practical for them to do a disc.

I believe one of the names I mentioned about explained that Hook would be a massive undertaking cost wise and there was concern over how many they might actually sell outside of Williams' fanbase. I can't remember if it was said with tongue in cheek or if they were being serious.

I think if a 2CD Complete Hook was announced by one of the labels as a limited edition of 3,000 units, it would be the quickest film score sell out of all time

I think BTTF might hold the single day record, although who knows how many Star Trek II's went.

I know quite a few 3000 units from Intrada have moved 2000 in the first day or two.

Having just ordered another batch of 5 CDs from SAE, I'll pass on these 3, though I might order Freud after New Year if it doesn't sell out before (which I think it won't). :D

I'll unfortunately have to pass on Freud. I'm actually slacking, as there are 3 releases that interest me that I don't have:

- Alien (2 disk)

- Superman Blue-Box (FSM)

- Back To The Future (2-disk)

Unfortunately, I have to watch my spending a bit.

Wow, FREUD. That's a great release.

Hmm, I have to rejig my Christmas list now.

Jeez, Varese's European retailer (Colosseum) has some ridiculous pricing. If I want FREUD from there it'll cost me £22 before shipping, but if I order it direct from Varese US, it's £17 shipped.

Guess I know where I'll be getting it from.

Jeez, Varese's European retailer (Colosseum) has some ridiculous pricing. If I want FREUD from there it'll cost me £22 before shipping, but if I order it direct from Varese US, it's £17 shipped.

True, but let us not forget that Colosseum often has available VS Club CDs after they are "sold out" at VS website. Sometimes quite a long time after that.

I'll unfortunately have to pass on Freud. I'm actually slacking, as there are 3 releases that interest me that I don't have:

- Alien (2 disk)

- Superman Blue-Box (FSM)

- Back To The Future (2-disk)

Unfortunately, I have to watch my spending a bit.

Alien is a non limited title so you can get that when ever. Superman Blue Box is still limited I believe...all though I'm sure SAE will still have copies after the new year.

Back To The Future though you should jump on. Doug believes when they do restock that the stock won't last long. They probably were able to do no more than 5,000 pressing of that CD.

So I would get BTTF as soon as you can then the others after the new year.

Whoa, I must say I'm impressed by the sound clips from "Revolution". I definitely have to get this when it hits stores. Great sweeping thematic writing in there, motivic/thematic links apparent already from the clips (the guy thinks his music through), and the "Fox Hunt" cue has great action writing in it. Given the limited number of scores Corigliano has done, this one is a must-have for me eventually :rolleyes: