The Lost World and Capricorn One

ChuckM

I just listened to the main theme from Capricorn One (Goldsmith), and I can't help but notice that the main theme from The Lost World sounds a lot like it. Anyone else notice the similarities?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, since one possible definition or synonym of the word "alike" is "similar," I can't help but scratch my head at the logic of some people.

That being said, I hear two similarities. Both themes feature emphasis on drums to drive the themes. And both include chord sounds that are similar in their note structure and effect, of presenting long sustained notes for a few beats each. To me, it creates some tension and openness, as the rest of the music waits for the chords to end before resuming.

To illustrate, I would compare 0:13-0:25 of the "Capricorn One Overture":

to

0:14-0:26 of "The Lost World":

I hear similarities in techniques used in crafting the themes, but that's it. It's a gimmicky comparison.

I do not hear a strong resemblance and think Williams' theme is much closer in spirit with the Maurice Jarre's Lawrence of Arabia overture with its percussive beginning.

Nah, they're pretty different. Now, there are numerous other Williams passages that tread dangerously close to TLW's theme, but I was surprised at the amount of dissent last time I brought that up so perhaps I shouldn't mention it now.

Nah, they're pretty different. Now, there are numerous other Williams passages that tread dangerously close to TLW's theme, but I was surprised at the amount of dissent last time I brought that up so perhaps I shouldn't mention it now.

Yes silence is the best option. I'd hate to send fanatical JW-crazed baton wieding assassin nerds after you. The faith in JW has to be kept pure of these heretical thoughts of unoriginality and "borrowings". There are no such things.

Well, since one possible definition or synonym of the word "alike" is "similar," I can't help but scratch my head at the logic of some people.

Logic?! Where? What?!

You're so perpendicular Wojo :D

Try comparing Capricorn One and The Anvil Of Crom instead.

That comparison works for the emphasis on drums in both themes.

But accusing JW of stealing some chords or their technique of use from an earlier JG theme is folly. Chords are free and there to be used.

It's like accusing Michael G of stealing an interval for Star Trek from Shore's Rohan theme. Um, no, not deliberate theft.

If someone looks (or in this case, listens) hard enough, they can find musical building blocks that are common in many scores, both in cases written by the same composer (Horner, Zimmer, JG, JW, etc) or between composers, as in this case between JG and JW. It does not indicate theft, just coincidence.

Does this type of discussion happen in rock music forums, where people accuse one band of stealing chords and riffs from earlier bands, even if 98% of the rest of the piece is different?

You're so perpendicular Wojo :D

My dear Quint, I would rather be obtuse than obese. However, seeing as I am both...ho hum...

I don't know what you guys are smoking. After hearing the youtube clip above, I'm sure Spielberg went to JW and said, "Hey Maestro, I got a revelation and I want TLW theme to sound like this... <plays Capricorn One>...can you do it?"

It has to be. And Spielberg really liked the TLW theme, right? I'm sure, it makes total sense now. No question.

Try comparing Capricorn One and The Anvil Of Crom instead.

A good point, and well made. Personally, I prefer "The Lost World" to "Jurassic Park", but "Capricorn One" craps on both of them from a very great height (and that's coming from a J.W. fan!).

Yes, the resemblance is known and Capricorn One clearly has inspired JW to write his The Lost World Theme, as much as O Fortuna has inspired him for Duel of the Fates.

And Spielberg really liked the TLW theme, right? I'm sure, it makes total sense now. No question.

I think so. Didn't he replace like half the God damn score in the film with the main theme?