2009's Greatest Releases

Dean1700

With the end of the year fast approaching I think we should look back and review some of the most exciting releases for 2009. Obviously Back to The Future is one of them.

What else was released, that in your mind, was a great release?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rozsa Box set alone is the main highlight.

But so many others:

Airplane

Honey I Shrunk the Kids

Lonely Are The Brave

The Right Stuff

Back To The Future

Innerspace

The Fugitive

The Journey Of Natty Gann

Something Wicked This Way Comes

Star Trek II

7th Voyage Of Sinbad

Twilight Zone The Movie

Time After Time

In Harm's Way

Hanover Street

And probably a bunch I forgot.

The Rozsa Box set alone is the main highlight.

But so many others:

Airplane

Honey I Shrunk the Kids

Lonely Are The Brave

The Right Stuff

Back To The Future

Innerspace

The Fugitive

The Journey Of Natty Gann

Something Wicked This Way Comes

Star Trek II

7th Voyage Of Sinbad

Twilight Zone The Movie

Time After Time

In Harm's Way

Hanover Street

And probably a bunch I forgot.

All older scores :angry:

Back To The Future. :angry:

Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan. :)

Airplane! is good too, but I can only listen to it for short periods of time before I get bored, unlike the other two^. ;)

Star Trek . :)

Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest & Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End. Oh wait.......... :P

The Rozsa box, without a doubt. The effort and time that must have gone into it is staggering, I can't wait for it to ship!

Airplane! was probably the most exciting release of the earlier half of the summer, not only because it was an often requested score, but also because of what it represented in regards to Paramount.

The Wrath of Khan and Something Wicked This Way Comes were really cool releases.

Back to the Future really blew everyone away, so props to Intrada - especially for not hyping it and keeping it a secret this whole time.

But as I said, the Rozsa box is the most exciting release for me.

BTTF is of course, the release of the year, but I want to make a special mention of Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, sure it wasn't so desperately in need of expansion but it's a score I love and doens't get a lot of attention around these parts. Great year all around (last year was pretty good too with Indy).

In order:

Star Trek II

Back to the Future

Airplane

Just the top 3 in a great, great year.

John- who's planning on polling this after the first of the year, maybe even a...tournament?

I was happy with the original TWOK album, but wasn't happy with the previous hard-to-find Airplane! album.

How the hell can one be happy with such a release like GNP's for Star Trek II?

Have you even heard FSM's Star Trek II album? There's a lot of good stuff that was left off...and FSM's mix for the score is more natural than GNP's ever was.

Edit: For me the top two releases of the year are Back To The Future and Star Trek II.

I enjoyed Twilight Zone and TWOK, but I don't have BTTF or InnerSpace (yet).

Was it this year or last year we got the Indiana Jones box set and Alien?

Last year for the Indy boxset but not sure about Alien.

It's too bad that's pretty much all the Williams we got this year, hopefully there'll be more on the way. It's decent and interesting in the fact that it's early Williams, but nothing spectacular.

We also got Escapades (best album of the year in my opinion)...

On the other hand, Memoirs of a Geisha suite for cello and orchestra was released as part of the (expensive and not worth) Yo-Yo Ma anthology. It also includes Air and Simple Gifts, which was released on iTunes earlier this year.

"Air and Simple Gifts" is probably my favorite single piece that's been released this year. In terms of overall album, that'll probably either go to BTTF or STII. I'm betting the former--while the latter was a nice expansion, I was mostly satisfied with the OST

For me it'd be between BTTF and TWOK, with BTTF getting the edge for me. While Trent is not wrong saying that there's a lot of good stuff that was left off the original release, there's also most of the highlights in the score, and when combining it with the TSFS tracks, you have a pretty good representation of what Horner did for Star Trek. BTTF was a childhood favorite growing up, and it was a score I always wanted and even though I don't have a lot of cash these days, it was something I didn't think twice about buying.

I was happy with the original TWOK album, but wasn't happy with the previous hard-to-find Airplane! album.

How the hell can one be happy with such a release like GNP's for Star Trek II?

Have you even heard FSM's Star Trek II album? There's a lot of good stuff that was left off...and FSM's mix for the score is more natural than GNP's ever was.

I think what Wojo is trying to say is that, while the FSM ST2 is amazing, the original album served us well for many years and wasn't to shabby as OSTs go, especially when we didn't have the FSM's extra bits and mix to compare it to. Whereas we had fuck all AIRPLANE to go around.

I'll be honest, I listen to AIRPLANE more than I listen to ST2, but again, that's probably because I've been listening to ST2 for the last decade.

Yes, Charlie explained it much better than I thought I had to. No need to get bent out of shape, Trent. I own both albums.

In fact, for those keeping score at home, it's been an expensive year for me, as I have bought these new ones:

Airplane; Honey I Shrunk the Kids; Back To The Future; Innerspace; The Fugitive; Something Wicked This Way Comes; Star Trek II; Twilight Zone The Movie; In Harm's Way; Hanover Street; BATMAN: MASK OF THE PHANTASM; None but the Brave; Star Trek; Exodus; The Red Canvas; In Search of Peace; Public Enemies; in addition to a bunch of older releases, an iPod, and that big azure-colored box of Kryptonian goodness.

How was Nightwing? It sold out before I got a chance to purchase it....

It's a very nice score with some annoyingly memorable themes, although the sound quality seems some to be desired. I bought it on the strength of the samples.

My personal greats this year were Airplane and BTTF. Airplane was only really because I've seen the film and can actually attach strong images to most of the score.

You know, I was thinking about it. I think the 2009 releases that I've listened to the most this year are:

1. Star Trek

2. Lost: Season 4

3. Twilight Zone: The Movie

4. Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan (Expanded)

5. Honey I Shrunk The Kids

6. Drag Me To Hell

But it's really hard to vote until:

- We know what the last 4 Intradas of the year are

- We know what Monday's Varese releases are

- We have heard all the scores to all the December movies that aren't even out yet

etc

Not to mention I haven't had time to properly evaluate BTTF yet or received Innerspace & Fugitive yet!

Star Trek II and Back to the Future are solid choices. Not like, say, Star Trek (2009), a score that I don't even like. However, that pathetic CD should have had at least a 65-minute running time. I'm not a particular fan of None But the Brave, but it kicks the Star Trek CD's ass with a complete presentation of the score plus bonus tracks and the liner notes. But that's mostly all I listened to this year in terms of new stuff.

I still say None But the Brave because it's a JW release that almost nobody knew about and was done perfectly

it's the ONLY JW c.d. we got this year :lol:

But it's not because I haven't listened to all the other ones

Well it's not that great music wise but interesting in terms of the evolution in Williams music

I agree completely.

Star Trek is easily going to be my favorite new score of the year. I automatically assumed this thread was just about releases of older scores, but there's so little good being made nowadays that's pretty much where you have to go.

There actually has been some really solid, amazing music for film written in the latter part of this year. Chris Gordon's Mao's Last Dancer and Daybreakers are both amazing scores. James Peterson's Red Canvas still knocks me out after 30 listenings (and a 3 hour interview with him about the score), Yared's Amelia which soars, and I could thrown in Giacchino's UP as well (though I really don't listen to it away from the film like I do with the others)

Two of my personal favourites from this year have been Mr. Majestyk and Foul Play, both from Intrada. The original soundtrack / original album combo of Bullitt from FSM may just top them both if the guy with the white beard* drops it down my chimney on Christmas morn'.

* That's Father Christmas, not John Williams, although the latter would be kinda cool. Imagine having John Williams stuck in your chimney and having to call the fire brigade to get him out, Towering Inferno stylee!

Airplane was only really because I've seen the film and can actually attach strong images to most of the score.

Ditto.