Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's (Philosopher's) Stone

Datameister

• 7 years later...

I'm posting this question here because it concerns the recording sessions.

I was just listening to Diagon Alley take 569a and have a few questions.

1. Did they really record this passage at least 569 times?

2. At the very beginning of the cue, you can hear the orchestra's pitch shifting, like someone is tinkering with the speed of a vinyl during playback. How can that be explained?

3. The cue ends when the orchestra is suddenly muted, but the celesta keeps playing. What's going on there?

Didn't realise Potter 1 had that many takes! I always thought TFA was an extreme case up in the 800s (and probably far higher once all said and done).

Takes on HP1 started in LA with the teaser recording in November 2000 and got up into the 700s when they finished on Sep 12 2001. The last cue recorded was the Christmas music box

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

Takes on HP1 started in LA with the teaser recording in November 2000 and got up into the 700s when they finished on Sep 12 2001. The last cue recorded was the Christmas music box

So they carried over the LA recording takes through to the LSO sessions?

Could that mean the take numbers from JW's early TFA trailer sessions (Sept/Oct 2014) carried over to the film score sessions? If JW recorded more than just the teaser trailer, that would have contributed to the substantial number of takes (hence take 756 for Main Title, which was probably not even the final session).

I do not remember info or discussion about this so I'll just be lazy and ask (again?): could Hedwig on Harp be an early version of Fluffy's Harp, possibly rejected because it was too on the nose especially not long after Hagrid Plays The Flute?

10 hours ago, Jay said:

That's such a nice way to end the sessions! Any chance we could get the list of takes/cues per day at one point for HP1-3?

• 10 months later...
On 1/3/2020 at 8:22 AM, bollemanneke said:

I'm posting this question here because it concerns the recording sessions.

I was just listening to Diagon Alley take 569a and have a few questions.

1. Did they really record this passage at least 569 times?

2. At the very beginning of the cue, you can hear the orchestra's pitch shifting, like someone is tinkering with the speed of a vinyl during playback. How can that be explained?

3. The cue ends when the orchestra is suddenly muted, but the celesta keeps playing. What's going on there?

My understanding of the tech and why you're hearing the pitch shifting and cut outs is probably due to how the board was being handled.

I always understood that since they changed from one take to the next, it might cause a slight dip in the playback speed as they transition from take to take. Normally you wouldn't roll through the takes so you wouldn't be privy to this sound but since he's rolling from take to take, you hear it.

As for the orchestra being muted except celeste, i think it was a similar thing. They meant to end the take at that moment and perhaps to say "this is the end of the take" they muted the groupings of all instruments but I guess the celeste was on a separate grouping and didn't get muted?

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...