Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's (Philosopher's) Stone

Datameister

Sorry if this has been posted here before, but I thought it couldn't hurt to do so. This PDF is a very interesting (and apparently genuine) description of the conductor's scores for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. A lot of it is pretty hard to parse, since he's basically describingthe sheet music in words, but there's a lot of interesting informationto be found in it. There's also some information about the secondscore and Superman as well. Anyway, I took the liberty of compiling a quasi-complete cue list from the information scattered in the document:

Potter Logo Version 1 - 0:45

Poter Logo Lead-In Version 2 - 0:37

1M1 The Prologue

1M3 The Friendly Reptile - 2:50

1M4 Don't Burn My Letter - 1:56

1M5 Mail Delivery - 1:34

2M1 The Beach and the Arrival of Hagrid - 1:20

2M2 You're a Wizard, Harry - 3:29

2M3 The Wizard's Pub

2M4 Diagon Alley - 4:19

2M5 Harry Gets His Wand - 2:02

3M1 Hagrid's Flashback - 2:39

3M2 Platform Nine and Three Quarters - 2:18

3M3 Escaping Frog - 0:44

3M4 Arrival at Hogwarts - 1:57

3M5 Entry Into the Great Hall - 1:48

3M6 House Selection - 3:20

4M1 The Banquet - 3:45

4M2 Lonely First Night - 0:52

4M3 Mail Drop - 1:20

4M4 Mr. Longbottom Flies - 3:19

4M5 The Moving Stairs - 1:42

4M6 (Rev.) It's Guarding Something - 0:28

4M7 Introduction to Quidditch - 1:29

5M1 Hermione's Feather - 0:34

5M1X Troll in the Dungeon - 0:13

5M2 Fighting the Troll - 3:22

5M3 Nimbus 2000 - 1:12

5M4 (Pt I) Let the Games Begin - 1:42

5M4 (Pt II) The Scoring Begins - 1:32

5M4 (Pt III) Slytherin Scores - 2:22

5M4 (Pt IV) Harry's Great Victory - 2:17

6M1 Hagrid's Christmas Tree - 1:34

6M1A Christmas Music Box

6M1A Alt. Cast a Christmas Spell

6M2 Christmas Morning 1:59

6M2A The Library Scene - 5:15

6M3 Dumbledore's Advice - 2:19

6M4 Owl's Flight - 1:13

6M4 Alt. Hedwig's Time Transition - 1:13

6M5 (rev) Hermione's Reading - 1:06

6M6 The Norwegian Ridgeback - 1:33

7M1 Filch's Fond Remembrance - 1:06

7M2 The Blue Forest - 5:01

7M3 Three Note Loop - 3:39

7M3A Hagrid Plays the Flute

7M4 Running to McGonagall - 2:02

[7M5 and 7M6 should be the cue when the three friends sneak out and stupefy Neville, and "Fluffy's Harp", respectively]

7M7 In the Vinesnakes - 2:13

7M8 The Flying Keys - 1:52

8M1 The Chess Board - 2:38

8M2 The Game Begins - 2:58

8M3 Checkmate - 2:02

8M4 The Mirror Scene - 5:50

8M5 Love, Harry

9M1 Gryffindor Wins

9M2 Leaving Hogwarts - 2:07

End Credits Pt. 1 - 5:30

Diagon Alley (Children's Suite)

Family Portrait (Children's Suite)

Hedwig Tries a Cookie - 0:59

Hedwig's Theme (Children's Suite)

Hedwig's THeme (with inserts) - 5:00

Hogwarts Forever (Children's Suite)

Nimbus 2000 (Children's Suite)

Quidditch (Children's Suite) - 1:57

Voldemort (Children's Suite) - 2:00

Total 132:17

Also, here's an interesting bit of an engraved sketch from "The Prologue" from an unrelated source. I'm not sure what the story behind this is...I emailed the guy earlier today, but I haven't gotten a response yet.

Sorry if this has been posted here before, but I thought it couldn't hurt to do so. This PDF is a very interesting (and apparently genuine) description of the conductor's scores for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. A lot of it is pretty hard to parse, since he's basically describingthe sheet music in words, but there's a lot of interesting informationto be found in it. There's also some information about the secondscore and Superman as well. Anyway, I took the liberty of compiling a quasi-complete cue list from the information scattered in the document:

Potter Logo Version 1 - 0:45

Poter Logo Lead-In Version 2 - 0:37

1M1 The Prologue

1M3 The Friendly Reptile - 2:50

1M4 Don't Burn My Letter - 1:56

1M5 Mail Delivery - 1:34

2M1 The Beach and the Arrival of Hagrid - 1:20

2M2 You're a Wizard, Harry - 3:29

2M3 The Wizard's Pub

2M4 Diagon Alley - 4:19

2M5 Harry Gets His Wand - 2:02

3M1 Hagrid's Flashback - 2:39

3M2 Platform Nine and Three Quarters - 2:18

3M3 Escaping Frog - 0:44

3M4 Arrival at Hogwarts - 1:57

3M5 Entry Into the Great Hall - 1:48

3M6 House Selection - 3:20

4M1 The Banquet - 3:45

4M2 Lonely First Night - 0:52

4M3 Mail Drop - 1:20

4M4 Mr. Longbottom Flies - 3:19

4M5 The Moving Stairs - 1:42

4M6 (Rev.) It's Guarding Something - 0:28

4M7 Introduction to Quidditch - 1:29

5M1 Hermione's Feather - 0:34

5M1X Troll in the Dungeon - 0:13

5M2 Fighting the Troll - 3:22

5M3 Nimbus 2000 - 1:12

5M4 (Pt I) Let the Games Begin - 1:42

5M4 (Pt II) The Scoring Begins - 1:32

5M4 (Pt III) Slytherin Scores - 2:22

5M4 (Pt IV) Harry's Great Victory - 2:17

6M1 Hagrid's Christmas Tree - 1:34

6M1A Christmas Music Box

6M1A Alt. Cast a Christmas Spell

6M2 Christmas Morning 1:59

6M2A The Library Scene - 5:15

6M3 Dumbledore's Advice - 2:19

6M4 Owl's Flight - 1:13

6M4 Alt. Hedwig's Time Transition - 1:13

6M5 (rev) Hermione's Reading - 1:06

6M6 The Norwegian Ridgeback - 1:33

7M1 Filch's Fond Remembrance - 1:06

7M2 The Blue Forest - 5:01

7M3 Three Note Loop - 3:39

7M3A Hagrid Plays the Flute

7M4 Running to McGonagall - 2:02

[7M5 and 7M6 should be the cue when the three friends sneak out and stupefy Neville, and "Fluffy's Harp", respectively]

7M7 In the Vinesnakes - 2:13

7M8 The Flying Keys - 1:52

8M1 The Chess Board - 2:38

8M2 The Game Begins - 2:58

8M3 Checkmate - 2:02

8M4 The Mirror Scene - 5:50

8M5 Love, Harry

9M1 Gryffindor Wins

9M2 Leaving Hogwarts - 2:07

End Credits Pt. 1 - 5:30

Hedwig Tries a Cookie - 0:59

Hedwig's Theme (Children's Suite)

Hedwig's THeme (with inserts) - 5:00

Quidditch (Children's Suite) - 1:57

Voldemort (Children's Suite) - 2:00

Total 132:17

Also, here's an interesting bit of an engraved sketch from "The Prologue" from an unrelated source. I'm not sure what the story behind this is...I emailed the guy earlier today, but I haven't gotten a response yet.

Interesting DM. So is this the complete cue list for Potter 1? :huh:

I never knew the Quidditch match had so many parts! ;)

I thought this was an interesting bit:

However, when I looked at the sketches, I discovered that Williams did indeed compose all of the music. So what Ross did exactly besides some conducting work, I am not sure. It is possible he adapted some of the cues to the final edit of the film (??) but I do not know.

“Introducing Dobbie” [Note: This is how the Lucius’ house elf was

spelled (instead of “Dobby”)]

Williams really has an issue with words that end on 'y' ;)

I think this is an old article, but it's always nice to re-read (the parts that I understand...)

However, when I looked at the sketches, I discovered that Williams did indeed compose all of the music. So what Ross did exactly besides some conducting work, I am not sure. It is possible he adapted some of the cues to the final edit of the film (??) but I do not know.

Please don't start this again.

It will never die Mark, it will never die.

I think that artice/paper/whatever was posted 2 or 3 years ago, I remember a thread about it or something similar. Which probably turned into a "who composed what in CoS" argument.

It's interesting that it seems Williams recorded the Children's suite, yet a lot of it wasn't released, if it wasn't used in the movie and it wasn't released, why bother to record it?

Please don't start this again.

;)

As would I, richuk. :D If you compare it to the DVD rips, though, you'll find that they match up pretty well. There's still some music we haven't heard at all, though.

Interesting DM. So is this the complete cue list for Potter 1? :huh: I never knew the Quidditch match had so many parts! ;)

Haha, yep. Well, almost complete. There are at least two cues missing, but most of it seems to be there. And yeah, "The Quidditch Match" is a lot like "Desert Chase" - hold your horses! - in that it was written as a series of cues to be edited together afterward. Using the track times, you can piece together where some of the transitions are...pretty interesting.

Interesting DM. So is this the complete cue list for Potter 1? :huh: I never knew the Quidditch match had so many parts! ;)

Haha, yep. Well, almost complete. There are at least two cues missing, but most of it seems to be there. And yeah, "The Quidditch Match" is a lot like "Desert Chase" - hold your horses! - in that it was written as a series of cues to be edited together afterward. Using the track times, you can piece together where some of the transitions are...pretty interesting.

That's pretty common though, to record large, complex cues in sections, especially action cues.

True.

I'm most interested to hear the unused "Owl's Flight" and the unused majority of "Three Note Loop." (An amusing track title, I must say - it's got to be a reference to the theme for the sorcerer's stone, which really is just a three-note loop.) I also wonder what "Hedwig Tries a Cookie" is.

Troll In The Dungeon - I presume this is the part in the film just before Quirrel runs into The Great Hall shouting, i.e. a lovely statement of the Hogwarts Theme.

If it is, surely this was released on the OST, tacked (badly) onto the end of 'The Arrival Of Baby Harry'?

EDIT: Just listened to the aforementioned snippet, and even with my 4% speed-up it's still 20-odd seconds rather than 13. Could this cue also be un-used? Or am I forgetting some music that's in the film?

Nope - in the film, "Troll in the Dungeon" and "Fighting the Troll" are combined into what sounds like one longer piece. The former is short, brooding, and nonthematic, followed immediately by the scurrying, frantic strings that start the latter. The music you're talking about is mostly tracked from "Arrival at Hogwarts", with the ending coming from "Running to McGonagall." As far as I know, the end of "The Arrival of Baby Harry" (AKA "The Prologue") is not tracked.

Also, while we're on the topic...I think those sorts of big horn statements of the second part of Hedwig's theme are among my very favorite Williams moments. Particularly that one from "The Prologue." Think I'm going to have a listen to it again. Oooh...shivers.

Nope - in the film, "Troll in the Dungeon" and "Fighting the Troll" are combined into what sounds like one longer piece. The former is short, brooding, and nonthematic, followed immediately by the scurrying, frantic strings that start the latter. The music you're talking about is mostly tracked from "Arrival at Hogwarts", with the ending coming from "Running to McGonagall." As far as I know, the end of "The Arrival of Baby Harry" (AKA "The Prologue") is not tracked.

Also, while we're on the topic...I think those sorts of big horn statements of the second part of Hedwig's theme are among my very favorite Williams moments. Particularly that one from "The Prologue." Think I'm going to have a listen to it again. Oooh...shivers.

Ah, I see. I knew you'd put me right. :huh:

I'm not too knowledgable about any of the Potter scores. ;) Although the presentation of Potter 1's OST is very repetitive at the start.

Yeah, and it's even more repetitive with all the unreleased cues thrown in there. "Hedwig's Theme" ranks as a truly great Williams theme, IMO, but he did overuse it in SS.

Haha, yeah. I think Hedwig's Theme from Potter 1 is probably used even more than the Raider's March in Indiana Jones 2! :lol:

It's ironic when you think about it. As both the Potter and Indy films have gone on, the main themes (i.e. Hedwig's Theme & Raider's March) have got less and less! :lol:

Granted you could blame Hooper for Potter 5 & 6, but as for Indy 4...oh dear Johnny boy, what were you thinking?! :P

I don't know about the Raiders March quantity in KOTCS, but I agree it was highly uninteresting throughout. The best appearances were when Indy gets on the train, when the boat travels to the camp on the map and the Mutt/alternate "b" version. I hate it during the Jungle Chase when the b section builds up to this goofy-ass Mickey Mousing moment straight out of Home Alone 2 or something. What the hell were they thinking???

Hedwig's Theme in the first Potter movie was brilliant every time, I thought. Right from the start Warner Brothers logo to the glorious concert arrangement finale.

Those were certainly highlights in KOTCS. I also love the statement of the B-theme during the flight to Peru. Something very cute about it. I wouldn't say the other statements were downright boring, though...just nothing particularly new about them.

I thought every single statement of Hedwig's theme was brilliant in HP:SS, but again, they get extremely repetitive when considered as a whole score. Many of them are extremely similar in orchestration and so forth. (Didn't stop me from ripping every single one from the DVDs, though... ;))

I kind of cringed when Indy started running from the Russians and Williams just quoted the airplane escape from ROTLA. Ugh. I never want to watch that movie again.

But damn was that Sorcerer's Stone Ultimate Edition DVD pretty damn tempting today...

Yeah, and it's even more repetitive with all the unreleased cues thrown in there. "Hedwig's Theme" ranks as a truly great Williams theme, IMO, but he did overuse it in SS.

yes but unlike most composers every variation on a theme Williams writes is usually great

Hedwig's theme is used a lot in the first half or so of SS, and I think it works fine. But in the second half of the score it fades more toward the background and the other themes are allowed a more prominent role.

yes but unlike most composers every variation on a theme Williams writes is usually great

Perhaps you should re-read the post in which I said that "every single statement of Hedwig's theme was brilliant in HP:SS." ;) It's their collective presence that gets repetitive and a little old...that'll be the case with any theme, no matter how great.

The Raiders March was probably used more in KotCS than in any other Indy score, actually, but few of its appearances were very interesting.

Really? :P

I must have been asleep when I was listening, because I must have missed most of them.....

I thought the B Theme from Indy 4 was great in two places; first when Indy and Mutt are on the plane to Akator (as DM mentioned - lovely soft variant), and secondly the bolder version from The Jungle Chase. As usual though with Williams OSTs, the latter is omitted from the Jungle Chase "cue" (humph, more like part of a cue) on the OST..... ;)

You're favouritism is unbelievable!!!

• 8 months later...

Not to revive a dead topic but i wanted to weigh in my two cents here since i've found some information online with their proper lengths and on some of the unreleased cues

Potter Logo Version 1 - [00:17]

This heard in one of the trailers for i think it's film 6. It's the celeste playing the usual harry potter theme slowly and strings coming in at the end and fading out playing a low chord. Listed as "1m2"

Poter Logo Lead-In Version 2 - [00:18]

This is the version heard in the film. Listed as "1m2a"

1M1 The Prologue - [04:15]

This i keep reading is listed as 1m1 but is chronologically after 1m2. They must have changed their minds on something. The album presents this with the center section edited out and instead something that is known as "Hedwig tries a cookie" according to that PDF. I'm gonna argue that the PDF writer misread it or thought williams had misspelled something. The other name for this cue is "Coke Ad 60s" which stands for "60 second coke ad." If my guess is correct, it SHOULD be "Hedwig tries a Coke-ey" which i'm guessing is slang for the drink in the UK (although i know plenty of people here who say things that way all the time " Chickey" for Chik-Fil-A, Cokey, for Coke, swipey for swiping your card, etc ) and that williams wrote it "cokie" and the PDF author misread it as "cookie" or assumed williams had misspelled the word.

1M3 The Friendly Reptile - [02:59]

1M4 Don't Burn My Letter - [02:04]

1M5 Mail Delivery - [01:39]

2M1 The Beach and the Arrival of Hagrid - [01:22]

2M2 You're a Wizard, Harry - [3:29]

The film ending to this must have been tacked on late in the game as it seems to be missing. In the film, interestingly, it fades from being a 5.1 musical mix to simply a stereo music mix at this point which leads me to believe it was a late recording added on that never got properly edited or mixed. (although the PDF does list it as the correct time length so i dunno)

2M3 The Wizard's Pub - [01:19]

Really interesting and weird source. sometimes i wonder how williams goes about these, if he doesn't just come up with a sound and follow it through somehow lol

2M4 Diagon Alley - [4:36]

The actual Diagon Alley part is SOO amazingly fast in this! They also apparently had trouble recording the mid section when they have the solo violin come in (when we see the animals on display) as they seemingly had to record it several times to get the pacing right through the segment. It looks to also have gone to a longer cut of the film. The film version of this cue utilizes "Entry into the Great Hall" instead.

2M5 Harry Gets His Wand - [02:04]

3M1 Hagrid's Flashback - [02:52]

3M2 Platform Nine and Three Quarters - [02:38]

3M3 Escaping Frog - [00:49]

3M4 Arrival at Hogwarts - [02:04]

3M5 Entry Into the Great Hall - [01:57]

3M6 House Selection - [03:28]

4M1 The Banquet - [03:40]

4M2 Lonely First Night - [01:05]

4M3 Mail Drop - [01:32]

4M4 Mr. Longbottom Flies - [03:32]

4M5 The Moving Stairs - [01:57]

4M6 (Rev.) It's Guarding Something - [00:34]

This cue is tracked into where Neville is petrified. It doesn't come in until they group begins to leave apologizing. The opening of neville being petrified i still haven't figured out.

4M7 Introduction to Quidditch - [01:30]

5M1 Hermione's Feather - [00:40]

5M1X Troll in the Dungeon - [00:22]

5M2 Fighting the Troll - [03:45]

5M3 Nimbus 2000 - [01:13]

5M4 (Pt I) Let the Games Begin - [02:12]

5M4 (Pt II) The Scoring Begins - [01:37]

5M4 (Pt III) Slytherin Scores - [02:26]

5M4 (Pt IV) Harry's Great Victory - [02:24]

6M1 Hagrid's Christmas Tree - [00:55]

6M1A Christmas music Box - [01:16]

6M1A Alt. Cast a Christmas Spell - [1:20]

6M2 Christmas Morning [02:08]

6M2A The Library Scene - [05:16]

6M3 Dumbledore's Advice - [02:28]

6M4 Owl's Flight - [01:07]

This cue is unused and is relatively sparse. It begins with a bell tree "tolling" along with the oboe and a quiet string chord. Harmonous winds come in as we see Hedwig begin to move his wings. The celeste plays as Hedwig begins to fly, eventually opening up with the entire orchestra and finishing in a increasingly quiet scale to the top with a chime at the end. The alternate is MUCH better.

6M4 Alt. Hedwig's Time Transition - [01:10]

This is the film version of this sequence although the film actually cuts a shot between the pan down revealing the change of season at Hogwarts to then cut to inside the library.

6M5 (rev) Hermione's Reading - [01:06]

6M6 The Norwegian Ridgeback - [01:37]

7M1 Filch's Fond Remembrance - [01:30]

7M2 The Blue Forest - [05:14]

7M3 Three Note Loop - [03:37]

7M3A Hagrid Plays the Flute - [00:41]

7M4 Running to McGonagall - [02:12]

7m5? - [00:38]

I had thought this would be when Neville is stupified BUT the problem is it appears to be sourced. I still can't find the opening which makes me think maybe it is for this scene, but that they sourced in alternate music. Either way, the "real" 7m5 has never been revealed.

7m6 Fluffy's Harp - [02:29]

This is nearly identical to the album except that it lacks the other instruments. Simple enough.

7M7 In the Vinesnakes - [02:28]

7M8 The Flying Keys - [01:57]

8M1 The Chess Board - [01:58]

8M2 The Game Begins - [03:46

8M3 Checkmate - [01:58]

8M4 The Mirror Scene - [06:11]

8M5 Love, Harry - [01:41]

9M1 Gryffindor Wins - [02:38]

9M2 Leaving Hogwarts - [02:14]

End Credits Pt. 1 - [05:25]

Harry's Wonderous World on the album.

Diagon Alley (Children's Suite) - [02:50]

SO much slower than the actual cue but still a great cue. Only partially presented on the album edited into actual score. Based on the actual cue though pretty closely until the second half.

Family Portrait (Children's Suite) - [3:22]

Much faster opening tempo than usually done in concerts.

Fluffy's Harp - [02:40]

Album Version

Hedwig's Theme (Children's Suite) - [02:12]

"Prologue" on Album

Hedwig's Theme (with inserts) - [05:03]

Album Version

Hogwarts Forever (Children's Suite) - [01:53]

Partially presented on the album edited into film cues.

Nimbus 2000 (Children's Suite) - [02:25]

A very unique arrangement of all wind instruments covering the theme quizzically.

Quidditch (Children's Suite) - [01:47]

The Quidditch theme with a great opening on trumpet heard in the concerts.

Voldemort (Children's Suite) - [02:18]

Another wind arrangement of a theme.

Hedwig Tries a Cookie - [01:02]

This cue is known as "Coke Ad 60s" meaning "60 second Coke Ad." The title "Hedwig tries a Cookie" i believe is a misrepresentation of what williams had written which may have simply been "Hedwig tries a Coke-ey" but spelled "Cokie" as Williams has a thing for spelling words with "ie" instead of "y"

Still missing after all this are:

Teaser Trailer - [01:50]

Trailer #2

#2 Intro

New Trailer Intro

I think this is referring to this trailer as i don't recognize the intro although some of the rest after it sounds like it could be tracked but the transitions sound genuinely new so i think this may be original.

MX 8 & 10 - 10 pages , 36 Bars

Unknown??

Full Run Time - A little over 2 and a half hours if you include pretty much everything.

Hmm,watching the trailer reminds me how how good the first film actually was

And that rendition of Hedwig's theme in the Teaser Trailer (the second half of it) is my favorite ever

Thank you for your post GoodMusician, I'm so glad the whole "Hedwig Tries A Cookie" thing has finally been solved!

Leave it to Williams to insert music he wrote for a commercial into the middle of a track on an OST! He must have really liked it.

I've also now realized that the "Petrified Longbottom" is a mix of three cues. A small middle section of "You're a Wizard Harry," then a "whomp" from the end of "Troll in the Dungeon" and then the final part is from "It's Guarding Something"

So the film version of that cue is not at all new material... which makes me wonder if williams accidently skipped a slate number (which he's done in the past) as the guy in the pdf notes he didn't see it at all. The Harp is obviously the source cue and is one of t hose two slates skipped... but what the other one is? no idea... Perhaps williams wrote a cue and never used it and its never presented itself anywhere.

Most likely they reserved a slate number for a cue there, but then they never got around to writing/recording one because the music editors had created a cue out of other ones in its place that worked fine before they had a chance to

I have a copy of the complete score. Well, 46 cues - missing some source cues and logos, but apart from that it's complete. If anyone wants to study it just drop me a PM.

Maybe I should take the time to mock up some unheard music. Perhaps the Diagon Alley cue...

Yea he was talking about the sheet music. Hopefully the recording sessions to SS will leak someday... and the sessions for COS and POA

Anyone know what order the children's suite was meant to be listened in, if any?

Also: I know Fluffy's Harp, Hogwarts Forever, Hedwigs Theme, and part of Diagon Alley were included on the OST.... and that Nimbus 2000 and Family Portrait are available via re-recordings.... but does anyone know if Voldemort or Quidditch are available anywhere?

Yeah, to the best of my knowledge, "Voldemort" and "Quidditch" haven't surfaced on CDs at all. I can understand why "Voldemort" wouldn't, but "Quidditch" is amazing. As far as I know, the only publicly available recordings of those are the ones on YouTube.

I was actually comparing the conductors score and i found that "[5m3] Nimbus 2000" lacks the final celeste melody on the last few measures stating the HP theme. Maybe Williams felt it was "too much" and just told him not to play it. I also noticed the the final pizz at the end of "[1m5] Mail Delivery" is considered optional heh... Also "[3m4] Arrival at Hogwarts" has an alternate Harp II line that is used for the final two measures as McGonigal talks to the children.

I'm noticing that the conductors score does skip the two slate numbers where petrifying longbottom and fluffy's harp would go which makes me think that williams had at least planned to write something for that scene... why he didn't, or why it wasn't recorded or why no trace of it exists... i do not know lol... I wonder if he had felt the scene didn't need music but left a slate number for it just incase he wrote one? Cause it doesn't really need the music but it does add a nice touch and make Hermione seem that much more powerful heh. The other slate number is correctly titled "[7m6] Fluffy and his Harp."

I've also seen no indication for the proper track order of the concert suites but i felt they best go:

Harry's Wondrous World (End Credits)

Hedwig's Theme (Miniature Children's Suite)

Quidditch (Children's Suite)

Fluffy's Harp (Children's Suite)

Voldemort (Children's Suite)

Hedwig's Theme (Children's Suite with Inserts)

Well, Williams ostensibly chose the order in which the Children's Suite is presented in the published sheet music, which is:

1. Hedwig's Theme (Children's Suite) [OST track "Prologue", or "Hedwig's Flight" in published sheet music]

2. Hogwarts Forever

3. Voldemort

4. Nimbus 2000

5. Fluffy and His Harp (Children's Suite)

6. Quidditch

7. Family Portrait

8. Diagon Alley (Children's Suite)

9. Harry's Wondrous World

Note that "Harry's Wondrous World" was NOT included on the OST - what you hear on the OST is "End Credits Part 1." "Harry's Wondrous World" apparently was written with the ending we hear on the COS OST, not the quieter ending written for the credits version. And then the longer version of "Hedwig's Theme" isn't part of the Children's Suite, so it's really up to you where to put it. I always put it right after "End Credits Part 1", before the Children's Suite, because it was probably intended to be used in the credits (as it indeed was).

So...to sum up...my preferred order for my HP:SS edit is:

1. score in intended chronological order

2. end credits

3. alternates, etc.

4. Children's Suite

Well, Williams ostensibly chose the order in which the Children's Suite is presented in the published sheet music, which is:

1. Hedwig's Theme (Children's Suite) [OST track "Prologue", or "Hedwig's Flight" in published sheet music]

2. Hogwarts Forever

3. Voldemort

4. Nimbus 2000

5. Fluffy and His Harp (Children's Suite)

6. Quidditch

7. Family Portrait

8. Diagon Alley (Children's Suite)

9. Harry's Wondrous World

Note that "Harry's Wondrous World" was NOT included on the OST - what you hear on the OST is "End Credits Part 1." "Harry's Wondrous World" apparently was written with the ending we hear on the COS OST, not the quieter ending written for the credits version. And then the longer version of "Hedwig's Theme" isn't part of the Children's Suite, so it's really up to you where to put it. I always put it right after "End Credits Part 1", before the Children's Suite, because it was probably intended to be used in the credits (as it indeed was).

So...to sum up...my preferred order for my HP:SS edit is:

1. score in intended chronological order

2. end credits

3. alternates, etc.

4. Children's Suite

Thanks for the order, Datameister. I've been wondering this!

Sure thing! :lol: (Another thing to note is that there are small differences between the published sheet music and what Williams wrote at the time of the film score - most notably, the optional orchestral ending to "Diagon Alley." Actually, that might be the only difference. The performance of "Quidditch" on YouTube has an additional fanfare at the beginning, though.)

• 3 weeks later...