Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's (Philosopher's) Stone

Datameister

I don't know what you're talking about, KM...it's still there. Fommes, it's "Owl's Flight", the unused original cue that "Hedwig's Time Transition" (AKA "A Change of Season") replaced. And it starts with the unused original Warner Bros. logo cue, too, although we've already heard that because it was tracked into the part of the film when Harry finally opens his letter.

Hey guys, be courteous to the board rules please. We can talk about the music itself, but not where to get it from, and we can't use the board to ask for PMs when it's clear illegal stuff is going around. Just move all distribution discussion entirely to PMs, and just talk about the music itself on the board. Thanks!

Finally Johnny got himself a YouTube account! :P

Seriously though, the three of them are great! The music box music sounds kinda like the Christmas song from POA and what Double Trouble would become.

And I love the small fanfare at the end of "Lonely Night". It starts kinda somber, but then it gets beautiful. A lot better than "Hogwarts Forever".

Maybe the guy who posted the video will post the first recordings of POA which included more of the other themes! (Of course, kidding, I believe there is no such thing)

PS: Someone make sure to record them, I have a feeling they won't be out there for long!

lol... I was listening to the Chamber of Secrets credits last night and found that the COS expansion for Harry's Wondrous World is pitch shifted up a whole step for some reason lol... knowing them they'd try to replicate it

The ending is so obviously tacked on, Ross should have just re-recorded it.

Chamber of Secrets has to be out there considering some guy (this one?) posted a video on YouTube of the entire score in his iTunes (?) with samples some time ago.

I don't see any in that video... it actually looks like one of the fanmade complete scores... only with different title names.. I mean, I could make that video if I had the fan-edit. :thumbup:

the opening Celeste to book II is unreleased. the album is a horribly done edit. the tempo is different. small details... but yea...

The fanmade complete score is ripped from the movie, so I can't see why it couldn't still be that one. :thumbup:

becasue even the blu ray has horrible wind mixed in... you can only get that anyway from the front channels where the wind is loudest :(

You might be right.. I know it's bad mixed, but I used to have a fanmade complete version... some years ago, and I used to think they sounded good! I didn't know much about quality though. :thumbup:

I always imagined it was just for usage however Chris Columbus wanted it. It almost fits the movie if you kinda loosely follow the action and cue it in near the end of them talking about voldemort... it hink about when she says that as long as Dumbledore is around its ok, and it kinda follows up to when Hagrid says how he got the dragon and the suprised looks on the kids faces at the climax...

but again, i don't think it was literally intended for there... maybe williams knew from Home Alone there would be a lot of editing of the music?

Some interesting things about the score:

"[1m5] Mail Delivery" and "[2m1] The Beach and the Arrival of Hagrid" are actually one piece of music.

There is a note in the score of "Mail Delivery" giving the option for a final cello "bullet" which is used in the film. If unused, the layering of the two tracks is easy and it's interesting to see the transition between the scenes with the original music kinda showcasing each of the Dursley's sleeping until it gets to harry making himself a birthday cake.

"[2m3] The Wizard's Pub (Source)" has a written in collapsing of the music as Harry says who he is. Unliike source music William's has written for similar sequences this literally has the ending written in.

"[2m4] Diagon Alley" is almost completely unused in the film and the irony is that Williams tried very hard to record a version that fit the film as the tempos of each piece recorded separately didn't quite work right. The concert suite version is similar to what's heard except the solo violin isn't in until much later and the tempo is amazingly fast! The music continues all the way to harry seeing the door to the vault holding the S.S. close.

"[3m4] Arrival at Hogwarts" has an introduction slightly longer than how it would have been used in the film which makes me think Williams wrote music more along the lines of how it should sound and be rather than what exactly fits the film (possibly sourcing from a place in his mind after reading the books and not neccesarily isolated to the film).

"[3m5] Entry into the Great Hall" has an omitted opening as Malfoy speaks about Harry being at Hogwarts and everyone being surprised and Harry stating he can pick his own friends.

"[4m2] Lonely First Night" is a beautifully sullen cue which isn't used at all in the film. There seems to be evidence there may have been an alternate but I haven't seen or heard it. The video showing the cue can be seen on youtube on the video i posted. The statement of Hogwarts theme plays as the boys run to class.

"[6m1a Alt] Cast a Christmas Spell (Ghosts" and "[6m1a] Christmas Music Box" are kinda interesting in that he wrote two little pieces for the same stretch of film and both get partial usage in it.

"[6m4a] Hedwig Time Transition" and "[6m4] Owl's Flight" are very different and both reflect there had been a longer edit of the film. I hear the "Philosophers Stone" version of the film has a different take of Hermione coming in with her 'light reading' which makes me wonder if this longer version may in fact have been that? Makes you wonder which version William's scored.

Owl's Flight is sparse where as Time Transition is perhaps one of the best pieces of the score.

"[6m5] Hermione's Reading (Revised)" which is partially unused does contain the opening "Prologue" music. Makes you wonder if it was an addition that made it "revised" or if it had been originally williams idea?

"[7m3] Three Note Loop" doesn't really fit the film very well and makes me think that it was written somewhat arbitrarily to fit the film but with the intent of it being able to be used however someone wanted to in editing, giving a sort of general SS melody with various incarnations and inflections to be used however wanted.

"[TRACKED] Petrified Longbottom" is obviously tracked. The slate number is skipped implying that something had possibly been written for this scene but it's hard to say. No one knows.

"[uNNUMBERED] End Credits Pt. I" is also known as 'Harry's Wondrous World' on the albums but this version omits the Chamber of Secrets extension used in the concert performances (obviously)

We know that Williams wrote music for the first two trailers but none of that has surfaced.

"Hedwig Tries a Cokie (60 Second Coke Ad)" is used in the album in "Prologue" in the middle to supliment a similar version in the real cue but that is only part of this motif.

The concert suites were all recorded and it's really interesting to hear these versions which we're all familiar with hearing from elsewhere.

This score is awesome beyond words. Easily dislodges Hook in my top 5 Williams scores now

Too bad about the Teaser Trailer music,it's the absolute best version of Hedwig's Theme..I guess those Music Box guys really destroyed the tapes.

...and the missing orchestral ending to Diagon Alley

Well, Hook is still my #1 most desired complete score. This was #2. Christmas has come early. JW's music once again has me wrapped in that warm fuzzy blanket I've had since I first saw and heard Hook, Star Wars, Home Alone, E.T., Indy, Superman, etc. This is his best work of the 2000s, easily.

It would be interesting if this guy uploaded the Voldemort's theme from the Children's Suite. Or the Sorcerer's Stone concert version! Any of them would be awesome.