Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's (Philosopher's) Stone

Datameister

Have I missed something? Where's this 3 note loop and all these CoS cues being mentioned:?!

Edit: for clarity - HP:SS Recording sessions have leaked. Ambiguity not required..!

Three note loop is on the SS leak. COS was brought up becuase of a few things... the heavy usage of SS material, the need for it's recording for HWW and there was a video on youtube of someone showing off their COS complete score lol

Ok...i'll ask it more openly.

The inly differences i hear between a Lonely night versions are that one has the volume higher. Are there musical differences?

What take of diagon alley and 6m4 should we choose?

I'm going to do covers for this... i'm looking for the struzan poster with philosopher stone title on it, or how can i write the logo?

There are no differences in content between the two takes of "Lonely First Night." You can choose whichever one you want...I went with the second one, I think. As for "Diagon Alley" and "Owl's Flight", I say just choose whichever one has the performance you like best. I don't remember which ones I picked. We have no way of knowing which ones fit the film better, since those cues were written for a longer cut of the film, so just pick whichever ones make the most musical sense. (Randy Kerber performed the celeste solo in "Owl's Flight" much better in certain takes than in others, so that was a deciding factor for me.)

ok thanks ;)

And then the longer version of "Hedwig's Theme" isn't part of the Children's Suite, so it's really up to you where to put it. I always put it right after "End Credits Part 1", before the Children's Suite, because it was probably intended to be used in the credits (as it indeed was).

That makes sense. DOesnt hedwing theme end with the same or similar passage as the COS Harry's wondrous world?

havn't not been on this forum for months, i know last time i was around, topics like this were shunned...

Yeah, but it's the single most important Williams score event in the history of this MB.

But it's so perfect there's almost nothing to discuss. No sound quality issues,no missing music, no weird edits, no chronological order problems...the ultimate ideal of how a label should release a score.

There's only 4 modifications to do:

1)Raise the baseline volume of every cue by about 5db (very quiet cues +5.5. db and very loud ones +4.5db) in a music editor. Or adjust itunes volume in track music options at +75-100%.

2)Edit out the silences or Williams talking in some cues

3)Remove from playlist a few redundant cue (like Diagon Alley and Lonely Night takes)

4)Write the cue titles

havn't not been on this forum for months, i know last time i was around, topics like this were shunned...

Yeah, but it's the single most important Williams score event in the history of this MB.

But it's so perfect there's almost nothing to discuss. No sound quality issues,no missing music, no weird edits, no chronological order problems...the ultimate ideal of how a label should release a score.

There are 2 small bits missing (ending to "You're a Wizard Harry" and the cue for Snape's class), but they're pretty unimportant/unnoticeable cues really.

Apart from that, this is exactly what many of us were waiting for.

I've gone for a 'heard in the film' approach for a few cues - Diagon Alley (that old English stuff sucks), A Lonely Night (film version is ingrained in my mind), and recreated Halloween.

Hmm.. now I have listened to the recording of the Ghostly Christmas Song 100times and I can't help myself, but...

is the higher man-singer in the left channel STING??

I could imagine that he dropped by at the studio, or he had a short time gap in the week when they did the recording..

I've made an edit of Owl's Flight using parts of the best of each take.

As for Diagon Alley, even the revised take doesn't quite fit the edit of the film released.

The cue for Snapes class is missing? Are you sure it's not tracked? A lot of small pieces in the film are tracked.

I also made an edit using the album version of the "Cast a Christmas Spell" which i love hehe

;)

Good.....Lord. I have been away for a few days and had to pick my jaw up from off the floor....this is exciting news!

And to think that I just finished making a SS edit with rear-channel rips :lol:

Can't wait to listen to it all!

And to think that I just finished making a SS edit with rear-channel rips :lol:

Those can be the bonus discs, like how stupid people only ever want films scores if they have the dialogue over them.

I don't know what cue for Snape's class you're talking about, richuk...I don't think there are any cues missing from the body of the score itself.

is the missing ending of you are a wizard a sfx-less rip? i would like to fix the track...

I really hate not being able to post back covers without official tracklisting..but life if life.

Enjoy. I was not very creative with this one, but if it is not broken dont fix it :lol:

HP1front.jpg

HP1backcopy.jpg

20200946.th.jpg

This is how I organized it. Owl's Flight and all the alternates aren't really important to me. I'm unsure if Christmas Music Box should be considered source music or what. I'm probably going to add it and the wizard pub back in with the score because they're cool. But the ghost music is really unnecessary. Were there ghosts in the movie shown singing this? Or was this cut? I remember you can barely hear it in the movie.

I really hate not being able to post back covers without official tracklisting..but life if life.

No worries, since most of us will have divergent tracklistings for these kinds of things anyway, it's even better this way. Thanks for the covers!

Do you use Audacity?

Won't editing MP3s hurt the sound quality?

Editing doesn't hurt at all as long as the output is lossless (WAV, FLAC,...).

Do you use Audacity?

transform it to wav, and edit the wav file, there you dont lose any quality. Just dont re-encode it in mp3 before burning...

I don't know what cue for Snape's class you're talking about, richuk...I don't think there are any cues missing from the body of the score itself.

I just looked at it again - the mkv I have is from the extended version, so it's probably tracked (and if not, explains why it's not in the cue list).

Still not sure though whether the ending of "You're a Wizard Harry" is missing or tracked. But I don't care enough about that cue to go looking for it/recreate it.

And Luke S, that front cover rocks, thanks!

it ends too abruptly... i think it was badly transferred, if it was meant to have a coda it should have ended with the intruments fading or with some musical mark to make the mix...

like the different takes of diagon alley and owls flight

Yeah, the track just ended up getting cut off somehow. The ending was recorded along with the rest of the cue; it just somehow ended up getting truncated in this set.

As for "Owl's Flight", I recommend using the first take (34). The celeste is the most fluid and consistent in tempo during that take.

Do you use Audacity?

FLAC to WAV .Edit the WAV

After you can make final MP3's for ipods

Still not sure though whether the ending of "You're a Wizard Harry" is missing or tracked. But I don't care enough about that cue to go looking for it/recreate it.

Serioulsy ...who cares? I don't really want to "infect" this near perfect set with DVD rips.

Even if you convert mp3's to wave and then save the wave you're still loosing quality. Just because it's wave doesn't mean a damn thing. The original source is still lossy material.

Well if it's ever officially released as a 2 c.d. set it would be missing a lot more than that

I'd rather have the children's suite than the end of Your a Wizard,Harry

Well if it's ever officially released as a 2 c.d. set it would be missing a lot more than that

I'd rather have the children's suite than the end of Your a Wizard,Harry

No shit.

I have a feeling these won't get a legit release from the labels until after the old man has passed.

I agree.

Even if you convert mp3's to wave and then save the wave you're still loosing quality. Just because it's wave doesn't mean a damn thing. The original source is still lossy material.

This might be getting confusing for the guy who asked the question, so, for all clarity:

Just import whatever you have into Audacity (no need to convert it first. Audacity can also read FLAC), and then export it as FLAC or WAV. That way, no quality loss in comparison with the original file.

(But of course, if the original source is MP3, it will still be lossy material, but just not lossier than the original MP3.)

Serioulsy ...who cares? I don't really want to "infect" this near perfect set with DVD rips.

I don't care. And I wasn't going to use DVD-rips. If it was tracked from somewhere, I'd tack it on the end, but since it's not, you're right - nothing to worry about.

I ripped the ending to "Youre a wizard Harry" from the blu ry bu it unfortunately exists only in the front channels. All but the last note is clean.

As for owls fligh ill give a break down of how i edited it when i get home.

Rear channel DVD rips sound like nails on a chalkboard to me.

When all channels are music ( KotCS unreleased cues on the DVD featurettes) it's another story

It is a beautiful little passage. Great string writing across the harmonies. Shame we don't have it.. but, we've already got so much! I've been listening to this all day long. Over and over. The children's suite is fantastic!

It's not the same at all. Rear channel rips immediately remind me I'm listening to a dingy bootleg. Even if there's no sound effects they still sound like crap.

Right now I only use rear channel rips for the RotS Finale but I still kind of cringe since the rest of it could pass off as some kind of officially released expanded edition

DVD rips(music only in all channels):Yes

Videogame rips (music only) :Yes

Rear Channel DVD rips:No

I too avoid DVD rips unless absolutely essential. This set has perfect sound and the missing section isn't important enough to ruin with background noise.

If the set had left off, say the forest sequence, then it's a different story.