Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's (Philosopher's) Stone

Datameister

I love every note of this score. I was so glad to hear it leaked out, maybe this is a forthcoming of a possible re-release from WB about all 7 (soon-to-be 8) scores? Or just leaked...either way, fantastic, fantastic music. Fingers crossed for more leaks.

I got the impression someone's had it for a while and decided to finally leak it (just like we know someone has the CoS sessions from that YT video).

*But* I'd be interested in knowing any plans WB has for expansions, given that they won't give LLL the rights (assuming of course that no other label has them).

I feel like Warner would want to keep the property to release themselves. I just hope whatever product they turn out is decent, but they do have a fairly good track record, overall.

I guess it depends on who produces such a project.

I'm not saying WB will make a hash of it, but with the sessions, any legit release is likely to fall short of our true expectations.

This is probably true, although in general our expectations are usually a bit outlandish, and don't generally fall in with the business side of the way labels - all labels - are run.

I got the impression someone's had it for a while and decided to finally leak it (just like we know someone has the CoS sessions from that YT video).

*But* I'd be interested in knowing any plans WB has for expansions, given that they won't give LLL the rights (assuming of course that no other label has them).

Wait, there are COS recording sessions too? Maybe all of them (sans hallows, for obvious reasons) are out there.. :eh:

I think maybe they will. I just hope it isn't like TDK's "complete score". I still love it...but I could have done with more music, less remixes, and not having the same cd I already owned.

I just hope it isn't like TDK's "complete score". I still love it...but I could have done with more music, less remixes, and not having the same cd I already owned.

Um, this is a bit off-topic, but doesn't the 2-disc reissue of TDK already have the complete score?

The COS sessions are definitely out there, but they haven't trickled down to us yet. I don't know about any of the others, though. I know I'd really like to get POA...

I'd like to get them all. Yes, Hooper's also.

Um, this is a bit off-topic, but doesn't the 2-disc reissue of TDK already have the complete score?

Nope, it's still missing, maybe a solid 30-40 minutes of music. Including film version edits and endings.

This is the sort of thing I'm referring to. A big studio's idea of giving fans what they want is reissuing the OST, with a second disc of some unreleased music and some remixes - basically not the full score.

I'm just not that optimistic that anything they give us for Potter will be better than this.

Nope, it's still missing, maybe a solid 30-40 minutes of music. Including film version edits and endings.

Well, clean openings, endings and different versions are one thing, but within those 30-40 mins. of unreleased music are entire cues? Do you remember any specific examples?

I said many times if they release a 2 c.d. HPSS for example we won't get the Children's Suite

and that was sort of a mini holy grail in itself

Well that doesn't matter now does it.

The only reason I'm even talking about this is because it'd be nice to own it legitimately.

I'd reluctantly buy it. If it were getting a TRUE complete release by La-La Land or something, the "reluctantly" would no longer apply, but there's no denying that any release by a big label is going to be flawed compared to the recording sessions.

Well, clean openings, endings and different versions are one thing, but within those 30-40 mins. of unreleased music are entire cues? Do you remember any specific examples?

~ The joker going to the mob

~ End credits suite

~ "Unlucky Driver" where the car tips over

~ the montage of the mob money being taken leading up to joker speaking to the mob

There's more...but it's been a while since I've seen it. The recording sessions leaked, but I haven't found them anywhere.

This is the sort of thing I'm referring to. A big studio's idea of giving fans what they want is reissuing the OST, with a second disc of some unreleased music and some remixes - basically not the full score.

I'm just not that optimistic that anything they give us for Potter will be better than this.

Which is why, as much as I love the DH score, I am not buying the re-issue set. :angry:

I guess it depends on who produces such a project.

I'm not saying WB will make a hash of it, but with the sessions, any legit release is likely to fall short of our true expectations.

This is probably true, although in general our expectations are usually a bit outlandish, and don't generally fall in with the business side of the way labels - all labels - are run.

Taking all the cues from the theatrical release, how they were recorded, no edits, and a bit of remixing isn't that outlandish.

I don't even need alternates (except the unedited PoA end credits suite).

We need the missing part of You're a Wizard and the trailer version of Hedwig's Theme. We have everything else, so the only way an expanded version of the first score can really fail us is to not include those two cues.

Yeah, I'd buy the official version even if it contained less music, and it will.

It'd be cool to have it normalized more like the sound on the OST.

I agree. I've tried my hardest to get the volume levels consistent, but it isn't as pleasant a listening experience as a professional could put out there.

I think it's safe to say we won't be getting the trailer music. There's very little unique content in there, and the score itself is a later, more polished performance. That's not to say I wouldn't like to have it - there are at least three trailer cues, mind you - but the only way we'd even have a chance is if one of the small labels got ahold of the rights to the score.

It'd actually be more interesting to have the POA trailer music - it's a pretty different arrangement of "Double Trouble", plus the short orchestral intro is eerily magical in the most wonderful way.

I think it's safe to say we won't be getting the trailer music. There's very little unique content in there, and the score itself is a later, more polished performance. That's not to say I wouldn't like to have it - there are at least three trailer cues, mind you - but the only way we'd even have a chance is if one of the small labels got ahold of the rights to the score.

It'd actually be more interesting to have the POA trailer music - it's a pretty different arrangement of "Double Trouble", plus the short orchestral intro is eerily magical in the most wonderful way.

The intro isn't a Williams composition, although it's certainly one of the better pieces of trailer music I've heard. I believe it was done by Immediate Music, or Something Something Box.

No, it's not. I remember reading somewhere [i believe on Brand X Music's site, before they redesigned it] about getting the news that they would use a brand new John Williams song, and not only that, they would write a 30 seconds opening, which Williams himself would conduct. I have the track [Anticipation], except it doesn't feature Hedwig's Theme. :)

"Running to Mcgonagall" Holy hell. I took some time off from listening to this score, and now this track has smacked me in the face. It's so deliciously brilliant. Only JW.

Which reel number is that?

No, it's not. I remember reading somewhere [i believe on Brand X Music's site, before they redesigned it] about getting the news that they would use a brand new John Williams song, and not only that, they would write a 30 seconds opening, which Williams himself would conduct. I have the track [Anticipation], except it doesn't feature Hedwig's Theme. :)

Well, this is puzzling. You're right that "Anticipation" features the same chord progression and overall style as the opening of the trailer, although the trailer version is clearly a different version altogether - different key signature, not synthesized, different orchestration, has the transition in "Double Trouble", etc. Maybe Brand X wrote the chord progression, and then Williams arranged it in a more Williams-like style. In any case, the sheet music solely credits Williams as the composer and Eddie Karam as the orchestrator, and it contains both the intro and "Double Trouble." (Please don't PM me about this; unfortunately, I'm not allowed to share this cue.)

"Running to Mcgonagall" Holy hell. I took some time off from listening to this score, and now this track has smacked me in the face. It's so deliciously brilliant. Only JW.

7M4. :)

Well, this is puzzling. You're right that "Anticipation" features the same chord progression and overall style as the opening of the trailer, although the trailer version is clearly a different version altogether - different key signature, not synthesized, different orchestration, has the transition in "Double Trouble", etc. Maybe Brand X wrote the chord progression, and then Williams arranged it in a more Williams-like style. In any case, the sheet music solely credits Williams as the composer and Eddie Karam as the orchestrator, and it contains both the intro and "Double Trouble." (Please don't PM me about this; unfortunately, I'm not allowed to share this cue.)

I was just telling what I read. :) They just seemed really excited to have John Williams conduct a piece written by them.

7m4

• 4 weeks later...

I think I might just have discovered something unique...

You thought the Frienship Theme from the first two Harry Potter was absent in POA? Well, check the following video from 0:35 to 0:39...

Sounds similar, doesn't it? It could be a coincidence, as it doesn't have a purpose in the scene, but it could be... What do you experts out there think?

Coincidence, definitely. If it were a longer quote or if that moment had anything to do with the ideas that this theme represents, I might feel differently.

Incidentally, "The Rescue of Sirius" is one my favorite unreleased POA cues. And for some reason, I like hearing Emma Watson's scream in the DVD rip. huh.gif

I'm not a fan of the film and I still love this cue.

Although the rendition of Buckbeak at the end is clean during the film version of Mischief Managed, which helps. (was Williams not content with just leaving highlights off, but also has to give us a version of the credits suite that doesn't have unreleased music? grrr...)

I don't know how involved Williams was in the album and (especially) film versions of the end credits. I believe his original plan was to just have straight Hedwig's theme instead of all that tracked music. Might have even recorded it that way...I'm not sure. I suppose he must have been involved in the album version, though.

I think the plan was to have the Double Trouble material specifically written for the credits, then A Window to the Past and end with Buckbeack's Flight. I think so because one of the suites City of Prague plays consists on exactly that material.

However, I remember someone here said Williams didn't know the credits were going to be so long, so that's why they decided to track all that music.

I try not to put much trust in re-recordings...sometimes they even include album edits and whatnot. tongue.gif And I know that Hedwig's theme was definitely the plan at one point...I just don't know much Williams was involved in the change to tracked music.

I think the idea was to actually record a whole new recording of Hedwig's theme along with the first part of the credits - same orchestration as in SS, just shortened. But I'm not sure if they actually ended up doing that or not.

I don't know anything about "Harry's Wondrous World" being involved, though, KM. I haven't heard of anything like that.

We need a complete POA release. Or recording sessions...or both...

Well, it'd be nice if a very decent complete release happened so we could buy it legitimately, followed shortly thereafter by the leak of complete sessions to fill in the inevitable missing material. Considering the extraordinary amount of alternate cues and inserts in this score, the only way there'd be any chance of a complete release being anywhere near satisfactory is if one of the small film score labels managed to get the rights to it.