Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's (Philosopher's) Stone

Datameister

uh.. am i the only one leaving the volume as is?

I leave the volume alone as well.

Me too. I'll just turn the volume of my player up rather than muck around with the files.

Well, everyone should keep the Flacs unaltered as "Masters"...and saved to multiple drives and a cdr

Then what you do with WAVS you made for editing doesn't matter. Altering the volume without inducing clipping doesn't muck up anything. Also it's better to cut some silences before/after cues and Williams talking before a few cues

Well, everyone should keep the Flacs unaltered as "Masters"...and saved to multiple drives and a cdr

Then what you do with WAVS you made for editing doesn't matter. Altering the volume without inducing clipping doesn't muck up anything. Also it's better to cut some silences before/after cues and Williams talking before a few cues

Haha. That's exactly what I did. I've got the FLAC files on every storage drive I own.

Flac of what though? He only ever leaked it in 320 mp3?

There are those who have it in lossless originally though... if that's what you mean

I store mine as originals in flac but i altered the track names.

Ahhh true. Cool

Yea, I've kept several copies and edits.

It makes me wonder then if this is the recording used in Trailer 1, no wonder it's kinda...not the best performance...technically i mean. There are quite a few flubs. Is this the recording that was lost? How again was it lost?

I noticed in the trailer that the audio levels for the music are kinda weird and the channels are also flipped. If i understood right, they lost the masters... so when they mixed it in, they had to mix it from something right? a lower quality backup? And one that had its channels flipped?

Here's a sneak peak at the Harry Potter music featurette on the new Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Ultimate Edition DVD. John Williams talks about bringing "Hedwig's Theme" to the film makers.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B08HSI7NdCU

Is Hedwig's Theme so difficult for the violins to play?

That and its quiet which means you gotta be careful what your doing. You can't over accent different bowings and you can't just switch around too much. Its rather precise and if the work takes of "Owl's Flight" is any observation, Williams was a stickler for the violins getting it right lol... i think also because that was one of the first cues recorded, he wanted to be sure they "got it"

Sight reading can always be kinda scary lol... Do we know for a fact that the trailers were recorded by the LSO as well? I mean, we know the score was...

Also anytime seeing something like that the first time is like ...Ughhh... but once you hear it you usually get it. Just that the first response is "omg" after some practicing and hearing it, you can focus on performance not just notes.

Was James Thatcher principal horn?

I highly doubt that Williams brought any other American musicians than Randy Kerber to the recording sessions in UK no matter how distinguished studio musicians they are.

A side note on James Thatcher: His bio at the USC Thornton School of Music site says: ...but principally he is a studio player, a recipient of the Most Valuable Player Award from the National Association of Recording Arts and Sciences, and arguably the most often heard horn player in the world due to his performances on some 70 to 80 films per year for the last 15 years. ;)

Yea, my brother in law is a horn player for the National Opera in Washington, DC and had mentioned Williams and Horner(among others) specifically choose Thatcher for most of their scores. I had never really paid attention before. I noticed that he was credited for Jurassic Park, so I wasn't sure I that meant Williams brought him along for all scores. Either way, he's got one hell of a job.

I feel like I have missed the end of the world with this complete score being dropped. Wonderful stuff and reigniting my love for Williams' Potter scores. Now all I need is a complete Hook, Jurassic Park and Lost World.

KM is right, always work with a copy of your original files, and keet the ones you downloaded somewere safely.

These days even if you screw up your originals it hardly matters, these files are out now, they can easily be obtained.

(this post in no way claims downloading of music is a good thing, support of illigal downloading should in no way be inferred.)

Hearing that JW was asked to do first music for a reel of footage to show WB execs explains how they got the original music quickly for the teaser trailer for Sorcerer's Stone! The first time I heard "Hedwig's Theme" was in the teaser months before the movie came out and I wondered how they got new music so fast when scores are typically recorded just a short time before release. That's why they use temp scores from the library in movie trailers.

I'm wondering if any of you have been listening to COS lately, now that you've become a little more familiar with the whole of its predecessor. There's a lot of unreleased (and sometimes unused) SS material that ended up being put to use in COS, and these moments might be a little more obvious to y'all now.

I know you are sarcastic...

but more or less that's it...but the arena was partialy used, and completely released so it is not like, wow!. And it's tracked not re-recorded and arranged for the scenes.

if they had used the 'great dual' for AOTC or ROTS duel of the fates scenes it would have been awesome. If we had not heard it before in videogames...

Eh, if you edit it properly (that is, if you remove half of its tracks) it can be interesting to listen to. Incoherent (which applies to the whole album anyway) but interesting nonetheless.

I'm wondering if any of you have been listening to COS lately, now that you've become a little more familiar with the whole of its predecessor. There's a lot of unreleased (and sometimes unused) SS material that ended up being put to use in COS, and these moments might be a little more obvious to y'all now.

Not really. Most of what was reused in COS CD was either on the first CD or memorable enough to recognize it.

Believe me or not but I completely discarded this thread for being "about these crazy guys who rip the music off their DVD's". Me bad. :)

Karol

Yeah, I wasn't looking at it until a couple days ago either. Holy crap.

Just a little. ;)

Believe me or not but I completely discarded this thread for being "about these crazy guys who rip the music off their DVD's". Me bad. ;)

Karol

Yeah, I wasn't looking at it until a couple days ago either. Holy crap.

I wonder how many regulars still haven't figured it out

Is Hedwig's Theme so difficult for the violins to play?

Evidently. Somebody I know who had talked to Williams about Potter asked about the violins. Williams said that he wrote it intentionally that way because "the kids liked it" or something to that effect.

I remember when Universal did the live feed of the Harry Potter opening. After the performance they were still broadcasting Diagon Alley with an extended ending. That proceeded to drive me nuts, but only for a couple months now.

Here's a sneak peak at the Harry Potter music featurette on the new Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Ultimate Edition DVD. John Williams talks about bringing "Hedwig's Theme" to the film makers.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B08HSI7NdCU

:lol: I find this hilarious!

Leave it to John Williams to make even the most jaded and experienced LSO players drops their jaws and exclaim in shocked dismay: "Oh my God! So much black... so many notes!"

When the agent told them to take a look at the music beforehand, some players might have thought: Uh-oh. Here we go again. Give us a break, we are still recovering from the TPM sessions!

ROTFLMAO

KM is right most everyone here has it in lossless and it's definitely 100% lossless.

There's a lossless FLAC version? I've only heard about the 320kps version. That's pretty amazing.

I'd like to try editing the cues together as intended. I was wondering, which ones were meant to be mixed (aside from the obvious quidditch cues)?

For whatever reason, Williams didn't write many cues to be combined or segued for SS. 1m5 ("Mail Delivery") was probably supposed to segue into 2m1 ("The Beach and The Arrival of Hagrid"), but as we discussed perhaps a few pages back, the film was re-cut, and we have no way of knowing exactly what that segue was supposed to sound like. Regarding the Quidditch sequence, keep in mind that not only the four parts of 5m4 get combined...5m3 ("Nimbus 2000") should be added onto the beginning. (The first beat of 5m4 pt 1 should come in a moment after the final chord of 5m3 begins.) Last but not least, 8m1 ("The Chess Board"), 8m2 ("The Game Begins"), and 8m3 ("Checkmate") need to be combined, and that's pretty simple - each one pretty much starts where the previous one left off.

So there's really not much editing to do in that sense. Most of the editing I did was just chopping off all that unnecessary silence at the beginnings of the tracks...that and tweaking the volume to louder and more consistent levels.