1. 1. What's your favourite score?

• The Incredibles
    • Ratatouille
    • Up

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incredibles is a fun action-filled score with a great main theme. Ratatouille is more restrained with lovely piano solos and string work. Up has a healthy dose of both and a great main theme, so it gets my vote! :lol:

This is very tough for me. The Incredibles was my first and instantly favourite Giacchino album for a long time. It took me a long while to get into Ratatouille but once I did I haven't been able to stop listening to it since, it's an incredibly fun score that I can pretty much listen to from start to finish. Up is wonderful, but I'm yet to "get" it like the other two. I'm sure after more listening and a couple more viewings of the film my opinion will solidify itself. So, for now, it's Ratatouille. The first two minutes of "End Creditouilles" alone is some of the finest orchestral jazz I've ever heard.

A Ratatouille for me too, please.

As much as I love the theme from The Incredibles and the Incredits suite, it borrows too heavily, and Ratatouille is much more in Giacchino's style. Of the three, it also suffers the least from his weak point, his tendency to unengaging loud & shrill action music (which seems to be either a big hit or an unfortunate miss with him. Though I must add the mixing often doesn't help it). Ratatouille is a great, consistent score from start to finish. His Colette Shows Him le Ropes theme must be one of his most fun themes, too!

I think that Ratatatouille is definitly the best of the three. Most varied, most interesting. I love The Incredibles, too. Never did get into Up. Not at all- I really don't care for the melodies, and given I had trouble with the movie, the context didn't help much either.

The Incredibles. It was my very first introduction to Giacchino, and while I wouldn't say it's my favorite of ALL of his works, I still really enjoy its jazzy homage to a fun genre of film scores. Ratatouille has some very nice elements, but I have trouble getting into it as a whole. Up is a stronger contender for me, largely because of the utterly amazing and simple beauty of its main theme. Got a chance to play it on a nice Steinway last week...oohhhhhhh. Sooooo good. But its action music tends to leave me cold, whereas The Incredibles never wanes in quality, so I knew how I had to vote.

Easily The Incredibles for me. Just plain awesome in every way.

Ratatouille is also good, but too, um, "French-sounding" for my tastes.

Up has a good theme and a few really cool moments, but I find it rather boring otherwise.

Paper chase is used; it underscores Skinner chasing Remy through the streets of Paris and eventually the river. Fantastic cue and a wonderful sequence.

That's the second version Giacchino composed. It's on the expanded score given out to Pixar employees and you can hear it on the blu-ray

Paper chase is used; it underscores Skinner chasing Remy through the streets of Paris and eventually the river. Fantastic cue and a wonderful sequence.

That's the second version Giacchino composed. It's on the expanded score given out to Pixar employees and you can hear it on the blu-ray

What??

The Incredibles. I didn't get into the other two movies like I did this one, so that may have a large influence.

- Uni

Don't know about the others, but I agree about the Up promo with a few exceptions:

- The promo has a shorter end credits piece than the OST by about 2:30 minutes.

- Carl Goes Up is also shorter on the promo, by about 20 seconds.

- On the promo, some of the action cues at the end are split up. I think I might go with the combined cues from the OST.

Speaking of UP, i just noticed that the Spanish version does not feature the 'Spirit of adventure' song in the end credits but an instrumental version of it (true instrumental, i mean, the voice melody is supplanted by instruments).

I suppose french, german, italian and every non english version will have this too. So since i have a PAL version i would prefer not to alter the speed... can somebody wink, wink, nudge, nudge? Please? <_<

- The promo has a shorter end credits piece than the OST by about 2:30 minutes.

- Carl Goes Up is also shorter on the promo, by about 20 seconds.

damn damn damn

it means we have to use those two lesser quality files.

EDIT: I noticed that OST's Carl goes Up has this string coda much like OST's Ratatouille Main Theme. Both have their alternates without coda in the promos, and both themes with codas feature in their respective end credits (in fact UP OST credits end with the coda, and an edit is clearly heard. Could it be an edit too?? Another edit at 6:30).

Could it be that the OST cues are edited to make concert version like pieces?

EDIT 2: damn the song spirit of adventure is 40 seconds longer in the OST too...

Can somebody with good ear (I dont...) try to discern what are edits and what arent?

• 3 months later...

I voted for UP, because I'm just not familiar enough with the other 2 scores. I have only seen Ratouille once and listened to the OST once - I need to see it again and checked out the expanded promo. With Incredibles I've seen the movie twice and love both the OST and expanded (and the expanded is definitely better). Up I've seen 3 times, and all 3 CD versions are great listens. Married Life is one of the best cues of the 2000's.

Indeed. Up is a very surface-y score. It's very melody dependant, rather than color or orchestration. That's fine if you like the melodies...but Ratatouille is better in every way, the melodies aren't a tenth as interesting as what's done with them.

Ratatouille still doesn't quite do it for me. Overall, I have to give the win to The Incredibles. Up is probably more original, and it's got a lot of truly wonderful music in it, but there's just something special about The Incredibles. I realize not many will share my opinion on that, though.

I do too, but I find the jazzy tone of the overall score can get a bit much in a single session. Ratatouille offers a more diverse listening experience with many different styles and genres touched upon and elaborated, with some truly fantastic themes. Up is probably the most traditional of the lot, and it's a great listen too.

Well, all the love for Ratatouille in this thread is definitely making me want to give it another spin!