Musical highlight of 2009

I have a couple.

Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan finally complete on CD, positively glorious.

Rediscovering the soundtracks of Michael Kamen. Such a shame not a single label seems willing or unable to release any of his work since he passed away.

The highlight though was Michael Jackson, after he died, suddenly the music on the radio became much better for about 2 weeks.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically, it's not 2009. But I went to Epcot this year and JG's Soarin' music was playing at the entrance plaza as you approach Spaceship Earth. You'd think JG composed it for the place. I was very captivated.

Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan finally complete on CD, positively glorious.

Paramount, Universal and Disney finally opening their doors.

Ditto x2.

Also Giacchino's output, including the oft overlooked but enjoyable Land of the Lost, and topped by Star Trek.

And, though it includes one day into '10, Murray Gold's wonderful and presumably final work for Doctor Who. I'll be happy with just a CD release for all the specials, but the complete score for The End of Time would be a dream.

John Adams' City Noir

Followed by John Williams' On Willows and Birches, Viola Concerto and Air and Simple Gifts.

And then...

Daniel Schnyder's African Tales

Joey Roukens' Concerto for Alto Sax and Orchestra and Fast Movement and Epilogue

John Adams' String Quartet

Jennifer Higdon's Concerto 4-3, The Singing Room and Violin Concerto

Christopher Theofanidis' Violin Concerto and Radiant Mind

Esa-Pekka Salonen's Violin Concerto

Andrew Schultz's Beach Burial

And next...

Arvo Pärt's Symphony No. 4 Los Angeles

Einojuhani Rautavaara's Incantations

Philip Glass' Madrigal Opera

Joe Hisaishi's Minimarythm

Joan Albert Amargós' Obertura per a deixalles reciclades i orquestra

Osvaldo Golijov's Tetro

Erkki-Sven Tüür's Symphony No. 7 Pietas

And, needless to say, the remastered editions of

Freud, Lonely are the Brave, Revolution

and the recordings of

Memoirs of a Geisha Suite for Cello and Orchestra and Escapades for Saxophone and Orchestra

And, though it includes one day into '10, Murray Gold's wonderful and presumably final work for Doctor Who. I'll be happy with just a CD release for all the specials, but the complete score for The End of Time would be a dream.

I hope there will be one, and given that Gold has expressed some interest in the past at releasing complete episode scores, maybe he'll treat his final outing with some respect and give it to us complete. There are a total of 5 hour long specials to consider, so if they did a single CD, then we'd probably get about 1/3 of each score, which isn't bad.

Must be said that not that much from the last few specials really stood out to me that much, but I find DW's music often works better on CD because it tends to overpower the show for me.

Film music-wise, my single favorite use of music in a movie from 2009 was in the final seconds of Inglorious Basterds, and the first minutes of the end credits. The use of that Morricone piece sent chills down my spine every time I saw the movie.

Star Trek had a couple of great 'nailing the momet' moments. The main title and the second that preceded it most of all.

Desplat's New Moon theme made a far bigger dent than any other new theme this year.

Not much in the archival section, I've had no money to spend on special releases (Haven't heard WoK or BTTF yet, nor several dozen more CDs I was interested in).

The only other musical thing of note that sticks out is seeing Dreamtheater in concert, which was pretty kick-ass.

All the great expanded releases we got this year, may it all continue into 2010.

Film-wise, it'd be the part of 'Enterprising Young Men' in STAR TREK when you first see the Enterprise in space. As soon as that happened, my wife and I both gripped each other's hands tightly. That was movie and music magic, even if it only lasted a few seconds. I just wish they'd cut the Sulu joke afterwards.

The re-relase of TWOK score. I liked this score before, but now it is even better. I wouldn't expect that.

The Red Canvas: Apart from the originality stuff (or, better yet, homage stuff) and how it probably is a disaster in its film (I can't imagine how it could work), its a pretty stunning music.

TTT live: This pretty much sells itself, doesn't it?

Avatar: an uber-James Horner score. I mean, it is actually probably the ultimate JH music. He quite literally throws everything in there. And makes most out of it.

Karol

I just wish they'd cut the Sulu joke afterwards.

By having Sulu screw up and delay the Enterprise joining the rest of the fleet saved the ship from being immediately destroyed.

And not to derail this thread, I love everything about the Hanover Street album.

Neil

There were few music highlights in 2009 for me but they were particularly special. For one thing you have Back to the Future, which is (well, was) a holy grail for many people. It wasn't that for me but it is a great album to a great score, one that I have a new appreciation for. Beyond that the single biggest highlight, moreso than BTTF, turned out to be the score to one of my favorite films of the year and maybe the decade: UP. What Giacchino did with it is rare I think, and is THE reason why the movie works in any capacity. The way he utilizes Ellie's theme, the main theme, is amazing, from the heartbreaking simple piano solos to the big, adventurous statements. It represents the film itself and I absolutely adore it.

Hearing "Gathering All the Na'vi Clans" in glorious IMAX 3D surround-sound! :grin:

Definitely one of THE musical highlights of the cinema lately

Back To The Future and Star Trek II's complete scores were my highlights. ROTFLMAO

The fact I finally got the complete score for Back To The Future after a 20 year wait...well let's just say I could die a happy man now. This score had been my #1 holy grail.

Now if we get a complete Star Trek III, V and maybe Independence Day in the next year or two I'll be even more happier.

(Haven't heard WoK or BTTF yet, nor several dozen more CDs I was interested in).

Shame on you. :P

"Star Trek II",

"InnerSpace",

"Twilight Zone: The Movie",

"In Harm's Way",

"Escape From The POTA".

Although it was out a few years before, last year, I could finally afford the £90 or so to fork out for The Blue Box. I was not dissapointed...

P.s., I would kill for a complete "Star Trek V", complete "Explorers", and complete "Empire Of The Sun".

For me, it was a rather fruitful year, filmmusic-wise, that is.

2009 scores worth mentioning are CHÈRIE and NEW MOON (Desplat), MAO'S LAST DANCER (Gordon), STAR TREK (Giacchino), TERMINATOR: SALVATION (Elfman), RED CANVAS (at least the 11-minute piece, Petersen), ICE AGE 3 (Powell) and, with reservations, AVATAR (which shortcomings seem to be more Camerons than Horners fault).

As for re-releases: BLACK STALLION RETURNS (Delerue), HOUSE OF CARDS, JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN, SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES, STAR TREK II (Horner), INNERSPACE, LONELY ARE THE BRAVE, FREUD (Goldsmith) and, for some funky greatness, THE SPLIT (Quincy Jones).

RED CANVAS (at least the 11-minute piece, Petersen),

You didn't like The Red Canvas as a whole?

Karol

The long piece is the best representation of the material therein. I try to select only the most characteristic pieces of any given score. MP3 collecting made me selective....i could produce very good albums now, because i've gotten used to trim the fat since 2001. ;)

My own highlights:

. John Williams' Memoirs of a Geisha: Suite for Cello and Orchestra, On Willows and Birches: Concerto for Harp and Concerto for Viola and Orchestra: the Maestro is still at the top of his game.

. Alan Silvestri's Back to the Future on CD.

. All the new Tribute Film Classics (i.e. Morgan & Stromberg) re-recordings.

. Discovering the music of Christopher Gordon and Philippe Rombi.

. Alexandre Desplat's lovely waltzes ("Chez Chanel" from Coco Avant Chanel, "Volturi's Waltz" from New Moon and "The Rose Acacia" from Chèri)

. Michael Giacchino's ever-growing talent.

- film music concert of the London Symphony Orchestra @ the Barbican

- concert of the London Symphony Orchestra in Ljubljana

- Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan soundtrack (FINALLY)

- Back to the Future soundtrack (FINALLY)

- playing for the second time (with the symphony orchestra) in Rome's magnificent chiesa di Santa Maria sopra Minerva

The highlight though was Michael Jackson, after he died, suddenly the music on the radio became much better for about 2 weeks.

That plus I jumped right on the bandwagon and bought the complete CDs of the Jackson 5. 1973's "Get It Together" is an absolute gem! I'd never have heard of it if I hadn't been such a fickle Jackson fan.

Okay, I have to ammend my musical hilights, so here is the Deluxe Edition (Limited to 3000 Copies):

Star Trek (2009) - Score more than the CD presentation.

Star Trek II (Complete) - Nice one FSM !!!

Twilight Zone: The Movie (Complete) - Again, thanks FSM !!!

InnerSpace (Complete) - Spoiled again, this time by Intrada !!!

Battlestar Galactica: Season 4 - Thanks LaLaLand. Love this one !!!!

Avatar - Lots of good stuff on the first half of the album, cheesy song not withstanding.

Some releases from prior years I obtained in 2009:

Species (Intrada) - Fantastic meeting Christopher Young at Dark Del.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - Lots of fun from Bear.

North By Northwest (Rerecording, limited 3000) - Nice one Varese !!!

Event Hilights:

- Big composer signings at Dark Delicacies, meeting Stu Philips, Bear McCreary (for the 3rd time), Michael Giacchino, Christopher Young and Ron Jones, as well as getting CDs signed. All great people to meet in person. I got ALL of my Bear McCreary CDs signed :thumbup:

- Seeing the FSM/SAE booth at Comic-Con, and meeting Christpher Young for the second time. About the nicest guy one can meet. Obtaining Star Trek II and BSG S4 there was great.

Things I learned of and added to my want list:

- Alien (Complete) - Intrada, I'll get it soon.

- BTTF (Complete) - Seems Intrada has quite the grail, and the samples reminded me how great this one is.

I think that in many ways, this has been a great year for CD releases, with some fun scores released or expanded.

Lets see what 2010 will bring in terms of music.

Star Trek (2009) Vol. 2? Varese? If this is happening, you have a guaranteed customer right here !!!

Yeah, how long can it possibly take to make a Trek vol 2? If they're taking time busting the AFM's ass, I say no hurry....

Not living in/near L.A. appears to be a major impairment to having any fun with film music :thumbup:

Things I learned of and added to my want list:

- Alien (Complete) - Intrada, I'll get it soon.

- BTTF (Complete) - Seems Intrada has quite the grail, and the samples reminded me how great this one is.

Absolutely do get them both ASAP, can't recommend them enough!!!

I still have yet to pick up Alien and even the complete recordings for Fellowship Of The Ring, to complete my LOTR collection. FOTR may have to wait until March but Alien I will probably nab next month.

- film music concert of the London Symphony Orchestra @ the Barbican

- concert of the London Symphony Orchestra in Ljubljana

- Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan soundtrack (FINALLY)

- Back to the Future soundtrack (FINALLY)

- playing for the second time (with the symphony orchestra) in Rome's magnificent chiesa di Santa Maria sopra Minerva

do you know of any recordings available anywhere of the LSO concert at the Barbican, i couldnt make it becuase i went to see Star Wars at the O2, i didnt know about the LSO concert till afterwards :P

do you know of any recordings available anywhere of the LSO concert at the Barbican, i couldnt make it becuase i went to see Star Wars at the O2, i didnt know about the LSO concert till afterwards :)

Unfortunately not, unless there's some fan-made "bootleg" floating around the internet ... But it's definitely never been officially issued on a CD. :( Which is, come to think of it, too bad - why only release classical music on the LSO Live label?! :P

• 2 weeks later...

do you know of any recordings available anywhere of the LSO concert at the Barbican, i couldnt make it becuase i went to see Star Wars at the O2, i didnt know about the LSO concert till afterwards :P

Unfortunately not, unless there's some fan-made "bootleg" floating around the internet ... But it's definitely never been officially issued on a CD. :) Which is, come to think of it, too bad - why only release classical music on the LSO Live label?! :thumbup:

I know, id love to hear the LSO perform some Williams music (Star Wars Mainly) away from the Official OST's. With another conductor and perhaps out of the studio in a concert hall.