The Big Bang Theory

MSM

My brother introduced me to The Big Bang Theory sitcom. I think it's really great smile.gif Normally not so much a fan of sitcoms (except maybe Friends and Life According to Jim sometimes) I have watched the entire Season 1 and I am waiting for Season 2-4 to come out here. Do you watch it, like it or hate it?

MSM, its only in it's 3rd season.

Great show, great cast.

Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Spock.

I like it a lot, although so far the 3rd season hasn't been great, the second season was hilarious, especially the Christmas episode.

I don't like it. But it's on CBS, so even if it sucks it'll never get cancelled.

Why don't you like it? The show is one of the best series on television right now, especially last season.

Seen a few eposides here and there....It's funny, but not as funny as How I Met Your Mother.

Quoted for truthiness.

wrong, its superior to How I Met Your Mother which is a show that needs an end game soon. I'm so over Ted's quest for finding this woman. It's a very funny show, better than 2 and 1/2 Men but Ted is the least interesting character on the show. Barnie, now that is a character.

Koray says (stupidly I might add) that the characters are cliched. Bull. There has never been a show where characters like these have been portrayed, and Sheldon is anything but cliched. He's one of tv's brightest, funniest, and most quirky characters. The whole ensemble is perhaps the best since friends, though I think Wolowitz and Koothrappali are underused.

The Christmas episode of the 2nd season and the camping episode of this season are among tv's all time funniest episodes ever. Sheer genius.

Incidently Penny is the only member of the cast without a last name.

Okay, I will give you that Ted's quest to find the kids mother is getting dragged out way to much. But I think that show has grown well past just Ted's quest. I love the whole Barney/Robin subplot, not to mention the slapgiving episodes are hillarious. I want to see more Robin Sparkle, lol.

But I do think that both shows have one thing working for them and that is the casts of both shows seem to be play well off of each other and have good chemistry.

well he supposedly may meet her next month in sweeps month.

I do like the whole Barney Robin thing, and I was pleased to hear that their break up may be played much like Ross and Rachael, and that in the end they may wind up back together.

I also like Lily and Marshall, hopefully the show will start focusing back on them again.

Last night's episode was rather predictable in that I knew that wasn't his his future wife, in fact I called it when he went over to her apartment, her roomate would be the wife.

Big Bang Theory was hilarious, Sheldon cracks me up. "I'll go sleep in Leonard's room."

I agree, last nights episode was rather predictable. I do think they are working back around to Lilly and Marshall. I do think that we will see the mother, but not realize that is who it is (i.e. she may move out from that apartment, end up leaving town for a while, etc.)

I did see Big Bang Theory last night and have to say it was funnier than HIMYM.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

How do you guys like the second and third (and fourth) season? Still think the first season was the best...but haven't seen the fourth yet.

The first and second are the best. The third season starts great, gets a bit worse, and gets better at the end. Season four doesn't start very well but gets better and better.

My main problem with TBBT is that Leonard is underused. I miss the original Leonard. Then he got his wishes fulfilled ans started being less interesting for Aa while. I feel they have to work more with this character now. Raj is also underused. It's a pity because it's a brilliant ensemble.

I also noticeable how they couldn't get Amy right at first, but they did later :)

If I had to compare it with HIMYM I'd say that I like it better. The cast is more original, it's less sappy and a bit more acid at times. I'd alos take into account that this show seems harder to write than HIMYM. I appreciate that. This said, I really enjoyed HIMYM while I was seeing it, of course :)

This show rocks and it fills the gap left by Frasier and Will and Grace.

I don't do American sitcoms normally, but Big Bang makes me laugh.

it's my favorite comedy. I'm wearing my rock paper scissor lizard Spock shirt. Dave and I collect Big Bang T-shirts.

The first and second are the best. The third season starts great, gets a bit worse, and gets better at the end. Season four doesn't start very well but gets better and better.

My main problem with TBBT is that Leonard is underused. I miss the original Leonard. Then he got his wishes fulfilled ans started being less interesting for Aa while. I feel they have to work more with this character now. Raj is also underused. It's a pity because it's a brilliant ensemble.

I also noticeable how they couldn't get Amy right at first, but they did later :)

If I had to compare it with HIMYM I'd say that I like it better. The cast is more original, it's less sappy and a bit more acid at times. I'd alos take into account that this show seems harder to write than HIMYM. I appreciate that. This said, I really enjoyed HIMYM while I was seeing it, of course :)

I think from the second season onward the science become less. While I think it is the most fun to catch the lines where they got the science wrong or where the logic is flawed :)

Like it a lot, though the latest season clearly wasn't as good as what came before. Overall not a match for HIMYM, which at its best times comes close to Coupling territory.

Worst mistake BBT ever made: Sheldon citing the score as one of the reasons why STTMP sucks.

Like it a lot, though the latest season clearly wasn't as good as what came before. Overall not a match for HIMYM, which at its best times comes close to Coupling territory.

Worst mistake BBT ever made: Sheldon citing the score as one of the reasons why STTMP sucks.

He said that? What a nerd.

It was quite obvious that it was done to fit a joke but it just ruined the joke instead.

I think from the second season onward the science become less. While I think it is the most fun to catch the lines where they got the science wrong or where the logic is flawed :)

I miss the science jokes :(

It was quite obvious that it was done to fit a joke but it just ruined the joke instead.

I miss the science jokes :(

If you're not into science it's hard to follow sometimes...anyway it can be still funny I think.

My point is that as far as nerds who notice the music in STTMP go, very few would say it sucks.

My point is that as far as nerds who notice the music in STTMP go, very few would say it sucks.

Understood was just kidding :)

I just watched the first season and some of the second and I find this series to be extremely hilarious. In part it is because you can relate to some of the geekiness and nerdiness but most of the time because these guys are a geek x 10. Leonard, Raj and Howard are a great balancing trio to Sheldon's completely out-of-this-world persona.

I have to give credit to Jim Parsons for portraying Sheldon, this nearly 30 year old hugely brilliant, sheltered, pampered, neurotic and egotistic but in most ways mentally 12-year old guy in all his strange glory. His complete lack of social grace, his megalomania and enormous image of self-worth he thinks everybody shares, his rather cold and logical way of thinking, complete lack in conventional sense of humour and the naive childishness that runs very deep in him. He is also endlessly selfish which provides such great opporturnities for humour and often are the catalyst to the entire episode.

The exploits of the group with time machines, experiements, collectibles and women are truly a source of nearly infinite humour. I have not felt any slowing down or fatigue in the 1st or even 2nd season but the on/off relationship of Leonard and Penny is getting a little tiring. She as a friend provides a regular person's view to the things and the clash of the views with those of Sheldon especially is often the most fun part of an episode.

Actually I have never seen this, though many people I know like it.

I am a bit turned off by the fact that it's by the same people responsible for Two and a Half Men. Is the humor in Big Bang really that different from that in Two and a Half Men?

Well I can say that I prefer this show to Two and a Half Men by far. The humor in the Big Bang Theory rises from the world of geeks and nerds and their interaction with normal everyday issues and from their own strange agendas.

Okay, I watched the first ten episodes or so of the First Season.

And I gotta say, while this is slightly better than TAAHM, I am not that terribly impressed. Dunno, I just don't find it that funny. Or maybe I am missing something? Penny is cute, though, and Sheldon is pretty whacky, in a good way.

Okay, I watched the first ten episodes or so of the First Season.

And I gotta say, while this is slightly better than TAAHM, I am not that terribly impressed. Dunno, I just don't find it that funny. Or maybe I am missing something? Penny is cute, though, and Sheldon is pretty whacky, in a good way.

I think that I have several IT engineer friends somehow affects the way I watch the series. I can see a lot of them in it and of course it appeals to my inner geek even though the scale of nerdiness in the show is beyond anything I would ever do. Sheldon is the best thing about the show by far. His continuing difficulties to understand normal human behaviour are just so funny. He is truly like a martian on earth.

Sheldon is the best thing about the show by far. His continuing difficulties to understand normal human behaviour are just so funny. He is truly like a martian on earth.

You know, I agree. Speaking of martians, while watching the episodes I kept thinking that he bears an eerie resemblance to Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean. Not just his behavior, but his appearance as well.

Being a physicist, I've seen a lot of BBT episodes (sometimes with colleagues) and I've always found them wonderful! All characters are perfectly portrayed and situations are very fun. Sheldon is great and I am always amazed to see how the actor was able and accurate to impersonate that kind of person, which is not exactly the guy you typically encounter in real life (but believe me, he is quite realistic :D ). I'm fairly sure the crew spent some time in a Physics department and had lunch with some of the guys there...

BBT is sometimes even cited in conference talks at the beginning, just to catch the attention of the attendees. That's because sometimes Sheldon is showed dealing with very "hot" and contemporary topics, always with hilarious results. So speakers would say, like, "You see, this topic is so popular nowadays that even BBT characters are dealing with it..." and they show snippets from the show.

Being a physicist, I've seen a lot of BBT episodes (sometimes with colleagues) and I've always found them wonderful! All characters are perfectly portrayed and situations are very fun. Sheldon is great and I am always amazed to see how the actor was able and accurate to impersonate that kind of person, which is not exactly the guy you typically encounter in real life (but believe me, he is quite realistic :D ). I'm fairly sure the crew spent some time in a Physics department and had lunch with some of the guys there...

BBT is sometimes even cited in conference talks at the beginning, just to catch the attention of the attendees. That's because sometimes Sheldon is showed dealing with very "hot" and contemporary topics, always with hilarious results. So speakers would say, like, "You see, this topic is so popular nowadays that even BBT characters are dealing with it..." and they show snippets from the show.

Nice to read. ;)

Sheldon is the best thing about the show by far. His continuing difficulties to understand normal human behaviour are just so funny. He is truly like a martian on earth.

You know, I agree. Speaking of martians, while watching the episodes I kept thinking that he bears an eerie resemblance to Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean. Not just his behavior, but his appearance as well.

no he doesn't.

One of the makers is familiar with the physics world.

Funny btw, Sheldon does remind me of how my elder brother used to be behave when he was a teenager...he became a theoretical physicist and got his PhD in string theory, and even worked at Caltech in Pasadena :)