James Bond 23: Skyfall FILM Discussion

Greg1138

I'm actually more impressed with the Komodo dragon scene from an FX perspective, now that I know everything in this picture is CGI:

d1Csi.jpg

here it says the pit is not CGI...

To create the first ever CG creature to feature in a Bond film, Neill’s team staged a shoot at London Zoo to capture footage and stills of Komodo dragons interacting. Using this reference material, Cinesite’s character animation team modelled the creature in Maya and textured it using Mudbox and Mari, before compositing it into the live-action plate using Nuke. The challenge was to ensure the creature interacted with the live-action plate and looked photo-real to portray the sense of realism the franchise prides itself on. CG dust and gravel that mirrored the action within the dragon’s pit were also added, while the lighting and shading had to be carefully angled to ensure the correct depth of field.

BTW the eyes look innacurate!

Komodo-dragon.jpg

I think i remember it doing this...but im not sure. It did stick its tongue out every few seconds right?

IT'S A FFFFFFAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKEEE!!!

bmgFX.jpg

People are over-analysing Skyfall. It's a fun yarn with loads of British tourism product placement.

It marks a return to the approach of not taking itself too seriously without being obnoxiously flippant. It's all fantasy. The ending was far more touching than even OHMSS.

People are over-analysing Skyfall. It's a fun yarn with loads of British tourism product placement.

It marks a return to the approach of not taking itself too seriously without being obnoxiously flippant. It's all fantasy. The ending was far more touching than even OHMSS.

True, the ending was very touching. Without trying too hard. Because people actually cared about the character.

I thought it was a good theatre experience, but a bad Bond movie. We were promissed a "flemingesque" movie, but received psycobabble fitting for the lifetime cable network.

yesterday Skyfall moved to #5 for the year in the states behind Avengers, Dark Knight Rises, The Hunger Games, and Breaking Dawn Pt 2.

I thought it was a good theatre experience, but a bad Bond movie. We were promissed a "flemingesque" movie, but received psycobabble fitting for the lifetime cable network.

Have you actually read Fleming?

SPOILERS

The whole too old supbplot is taken directly from The Man With The Golden Gun, as its questioned whether Bond is still fit for service. The shooting range is directly from Moonraker. While Skyfall and Kincaide were never in the books, the names of his parents and the fact that they died in a climbing accident at a young age is straight from the creator. While the general plot about Silva's quest for revenge is original, Bond's struggles throughout the movie deride from his backstory as written by Ian Fleming.

I have read all of the Fleming Bond novels, currently reading From Russia With Love. Picking parts from the Bond novels doesn't make it a Fleming Bond.

Really, using aspects of the character that Fleming came up with that haven't been used or explored before isn't Fleming? Its the most Fleming Bond has been since the 60s, and honestly Connery's persona took over Fleming's Bond before You Only Live Twice; truthfully, we haven't seen Fleming's Bond in a long time. Dalton tried to bring him back, but the vestiges of the Moore era were ever-present. Skyfall is a film that choose to ignore the Bond formula (thank god) and just tell its story. Its very down to Earth and shows the peril and dangers of the profession and how it can pervert someone like Silva to become the enemy.

Really, using aspects of the character that Fleming came up with that haven't been used or explored before isn't Fleming? Its the most Fleming Bond has been since the 60s, and honestly Connery's persona took over Fleming's Bond before You Only Live Twice; truthfully, we haven't seen Fleming's Bond in a long time. Dalton tried to bring him back, but the vestiges of the Moore era were ever-present. Skyfall is a film that choose to ignore the Bond formula (thank god) and just tell its story. Its very down to Earth and shows the peril and dangers of the profession and how it can pervert someone like Silva to become the enemy.

If you want an emasculated and politically correct James Bond who lacks any of the characteristics of the Fleming Bond, go ahead. If you like that crap, go watch it. If you want a wussy Bond who mumbles his lines, then you can have it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...