James Bond 23: Skyfall FILM Discussion

Greg1138

That was pretty good!

SNL is still worth DVRing, IMHO. It's the kind of show we throw on while eating or cleaning up the house, etc. There's just enough funny skits a year to make it worth watching. Lot of crap to wade through though

No Aston Martin = bad movie

ROTFLMAO

No, seriously, this looks far better than the first one, which was pretty bland. Has the potential to be the best of the Craigs IMO.

Now, Mr. Newman, report to duty, and better don't screw it up!

The new Q, however, is a miscast I think. Looks like Scarecrow from Batman Begins.

Ah, no, Whishaw's great. Although I admit that he looks a bit too hipster for my taste.

And he looks nothing like Cillian Murphy. I'm not an avid fan of the Batman films, so I can see your criticism.

Actually, Newman's SkyFall is the only score left this year I'm excited for.

You don't like Shore's LOTR scores?

XD

This winter will be fun, I can already tell. I absolutely adore the LOTR scores.

So, assuming Newman uses the title song in his score, which he apparently does, did he have a hand in writing it?

Or have we indeed have come to the point where pop artists dictate the main theme for the composer?

So, assuming Newman uses the title song in his score, which he apparently does, did he have a hand in writing it?

Or have we indeed have come to the point where pop artists dictate the main theme for the composer?

Read the thread we have for the title song. It was written by Adele and her writing partner that cowrote most of 21 with her. No Newman credit on it.

I want to go into this one as fresh as possible, like with most films I see in the theater. I'm more excited for it as a new Mendes film than a new Bond film, but combine them both and it's gonna be a sweet ride.

Read the thread we have for the title song. It was written by Adele and her writing partner that cowrote most of 21 with her. No Newman credit on it.

J.A.C. Redford co-arranged the song. Redford's orchestrated almost all of Newman's scores for the past couple of years.

Newman may not have arranged it, but his orchestrator did.

Yeah, plenty of Bond songs have been written by the artist, not the score composer. This elitism is complete nonsense, and insulting to so-called pop musicians. As if the line between composition and songwriting is absolute.

M’s house in the film is the former home of the legendary Bond composer John Barry. Filmmakers thought it would be a lovely tribute to the late composer, who passed away in 2011.

Source: The press book of SKYFALL (page 50, "Additional Fun Facts")

http://www.comingsoo...ws.php?id=95855

New clip with a bit Newman action music.

Now this REALLY sounds 'Hello, i'm standard action movie #487'. Fast electronics under whole notes - as if any personal flair got sucked out of it.

http://www.comingsoo...ws.php?id=95855

New clip with a bit Newman action music.

Nice. Like the Celtic ostinato, the major chord as the camera whips to the tunnel, and the building horn clusters as the tension builds to breaking point. Economic but highly effective. No wonder Williams is a fan.

• 2 weeks later...

Few observations:

It is a beautifully shot film. Just for that worth seeing on big screen.

I wasn't exactly sure what was I watching, to be honest? Was it supposed to be a fun action film or an art film? It tries so hard to give you both at the same time. It throws in so many different contradicting things at you. You get so new direction for the series, but, at the same time, references some older stuff as well. Trouble is I'm not sure it works at all.

It is not really all that fun, as the more recent trailers seem to suggest. Feels more like the first teaser. Not everyone is going to like that. It seems that the Bond film you usually get happens in the first half, and then the other half starts. It is apparent to me now David Arnold wouldn't be suitable choice to score it. And while stylistic choices can be questioned, no one can doubt Thomas Newman is a superior dramatist and he definitely helps to sell the film we're given, especially in the final part. It's mostly subtle stuff and his trademarks that make it work. Question is: what does it have to do with 007 that you all know and love?

Bond feels more human in this one. Well, kind of. And so does M. The plot is supposed to feel more personal this time and there are some major revelations in the film (or at least they are meant to be major) and that's where the title comes in. And while part of me welcomes those, I can't help but wonder why those elements are introduced at all. Well, I guess it somehow ties the whole film tonally to its finale, but can't say there is too much of an emotional resonance when you get there. Other that it does look really nice, visually.

Can't say I was all that involved. It is well directed, well acted, well shot and scored. But not exciting/sutble/moving/interesting enough for me to revisit.

If anything, it made me appreciate the score more. Oh yes and there is David Arnold track used twice. The first statement, I think, replaces the Breadcrumbs cue. Maybe I'm wrong.

Karol

Yes and no. It isn't shot the way Bourne films are and that's a good thing. It is the script that I have problems with, not the technical stuff.

Go and see it, Alex. You might like it.

Maybe I'm a bit too harsh, but I expected something more... fun.

Karol

I wasn't exactly sure what was I watching, to be honest?

Bourne maybe?

Alex

the whole point of Mendes was to get away from it being a Jason Bourne film.

I just watched the movie. The score does really well in in. Although it's not particularly memorable on its own, it really stands out in great number of scenes. The cinematography is absolutely stunning - best part of this movie hands down. As for the picture itself, I didn't like it as much as I had expected. Way too serious for my taste (makes LtK and QoS look like one of Roger Moore's tongue-in-cheek Bond movies) and the pace drags at times. Nevertheless, it isn't bad, not at all. Quite the contrary. It's possibly one of the best, but not my cup of tea for a Bond movie. Ending, which I won't spoil here, suggests they want to go back to basics now, which I hope they will do.

Another serious Bond movie? Sigh. I really thought after CR and QOS they would give us a more traditional fun popcorn action spy movie. Oh well.

It is fun when it starts, but in the second half gets much more serious. It has some funny moments sprinkled throughout its length, but it's not exactly what we'd expect (or want) as a whole. By its final sequence it looks nothing like James Bond film.

Karol

It is fun when it starts, but in the second half gets much more serious. It has some funny moments sprinkled throughout its length, but it's not exactly what we'd expect (or want) as a whole. By its final sequence it looks nothing like James Bond film.

Well, that's disappointing. Those dark and ominous trailers really misrepresented this apparently dark and ominous movie.

In other news, John Logan's writing the next two Bonds: http://www.avclub.com/articles/next-two-james-bond-movies-given-to-guy-who-writes,88014/

Well, that's disappointing. Those dark and ominous trailers really misrepresented this apparently dark and ominous movie.

:thumbup:

Since when was Mendes a fun popcorn action director? Bond has had his run of camp with the Moore films. As long as it's got lighthearted wit sprinkled throughout I'm good. I don't remember a single joke in Quantum Of Solace, and the "We're gonna kill them first" line already trumps it in that department.

As for Arnold, he's had his run. Bring someone else in, if not Newman again.

Well these Bond flicks are rated, not for kids. I never understood the Moore films, a Camel watching a flying motorcycle..? Very funny?

The only decent Bond film is CR, What I have heard, this sounds very promising. Bury the camp already.