James Cameron's Director's Cuts

Greg1138

Cameron's Director's Cuts and Special Editions seem to have a habit of elevating the original film to a far better experience.

The Director's Cut of Aliens is arguable one of the greatest action flicks of all time and expands and improves immeasurably beyond the original theatrical version.

The Special Edition of The Abyss, whilst not exactly a classic film to start with, adds a new dimension to the movie - and though the ending was far from classic in the first place, the newer version ultimately improves the film no end whilst still not reaching the dizzy heights that perhaps it should have. (Shame).

Terminator 2 - I was surprised to find on my DVD yet another cut of this (A Special Edition Director's Cut, no less!), which does not add that much in the way of footage, but what it DOES add is important in the development of more thn a few scenes, and more overtly shows a slightly disturbing aspect to Robert Patrick's T-1000 character that is easy to miss in the original cut (Cameron manages this with just a few seconds of footage and one or two extra lines).

What's he going to touch next? Has he ever gone back and revised his original Terminatorat all? I think I read that he helped supervise the sound mix and touched up a few effects for DVD release, but are there alternate cuts out there? What did he chop out originally? Would you even like to see a new Director's Cut?

What about Titanic? Avatar? (anyone heard how much was cut from Avatar? I heard some reports that it was a significant amount). Aliens of the Deep? True Lies (when is that movie going to get a decent DVD release??)? I remember reading that about half an hour was cut from True Lies - mainly from the middle act which, to be honest, I think I could do without seeing....but would you?

Greg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll agree on THE ABYSS, although both versions need trimming. ALIENS: SPECIAL EDITION is an inferior cut to the theatrical. While it's interesting to see what happens after seeing the theatrical edition, it removes a lot of the tension and leaves a little too much fat, as well as putting Ripley's need for a surrogate daughter in way too much of an obvious through line instead of just suggesting.

I'll go with T2's DC as I really like the scene with the chip in his head in the service station, although nothing's really significant. Again, I think both versions need trimming. With Director's Cuts, there's far too much temptation to add but not subtract. I'd like it if Cameron cut some of the early dialogue from THE ABYSS as it's awful.

There are some deleted scenes on the DVD of THE TERMINATOR, one of which is from outside the factory at the end, where two employees find the chip and sneak it away, with the camera panning up to the Cyberdyne Systems sign on the building. But a DC is not necessary for the film at all, as the editing is the strongest thing about the film.

I just watched the Abyss for the first time, yesterday, and found out afterwards that there was a shorter version! I was was shocked when I found out that it actualy is about 31 minutes shorter...

now why would anybody in his right mind cut out the scenes where Bud talks to the Aliens and the huge wave? I think that is the most important message from the film - otherwise it is just an underwater actionflick (well not really a bad one) but the Aliens appereance remains unexplained which is kinda stupid..

Hollywood producers.. I hate these guys

I'd like it if Cameron cut some of the early dialogue from THE ABYSS as it's awful.

I didn't notice that, but then again I watched the german dubbed version

I've often wished that Cameron would spend just a few quid on script doctors...and I include Avatar with that.....much as I like the film....

I was under the opinion that Aliens: The Special Edition was actually a vastly superior film.....am I in the minority?

The Abyss - MissPadme - the story behind the making of the movie and the construction of the Special Edition is fascinating - go have a look - I'm sure it's on-line somewhere....

Charlie - the only DVD I've ever had is a vanilla one so not seen the scene you mention....but I agree that the editing is utterly breathless throughout - a real masterclass.

We have yet to receive an anamorphic "The Abyss" in the UK....the extras on the 2-Disc set that is available are excellent, but let down by the crappy letterbox main feature.

We have yet to receive an anamorphic "The Abyss" in the UK....the extras on the 2-Disc set that is available are excellent, but let down by the crappy letterbox main feature.

I don't think it's anamorphic anywhere in the world, Greg. I'm hoping it'll get a rerelease soon, or better on Blu-Ray.

On the flipside of that - the sound design of the Abyss DVD is astonishing - better than anything Lucas, or anyone else, has come out with for the shiny disc.

I prefer the theatrical Terminator 2.

Titanic doesn't need a director's cut. I think the theatrical cut IS the director's cut. All the deleted scenes released on the DVD are unnecessary and the deleted ending is awful as in the case of T2.

I think Titanic - all criticisms aside - is just fine as it is....although I wouldn't object if he took a leaf out of Ridley Scott's book and made a director's cut that was shorter.....

I was under the opinion that Aliens: The Special Edition was actually a vastly superior film.....am I in the minority?

Nope. I've always loved the Aliens SE cut. One of the things that makes Cameron's movies so great is that the stories are so full. The theatrical versions had to be cut down, and that's fine, but when you put all the rest back it's not just a bunch of deleted scenes--it's more story that adds to the richness and depth. It made Aliens better; it made The Abyss back into the movie it should've been in the first place. Critics and audiences alike agreed that the ending was the weakest part of that film, and small wonder . . . the entire point of the last third of the movie had been excised. Without the conversation, without the threat to civilization, the aliens' ascent the surface is made arbitrary and senseless. I got to see the director's cut in the theatrical rerelease, and it was a fantastic experience.

I could definitely do with an extended cut of True Lies. I would agree that The Terminator doesn't seem to need it, and Titanic would actually suffer from anything additional. That one always seemed like it was a director's cut to begin with (and it probably was). As for Avatar . . . I'm curious to see what else there might be, though I have to say it's hard to imagine what could be added that would enrich what's already there. If a Director's Cut could be made that would replace some of what's there--make someone other than the chief her father, tank the ridiculous Unobtanium exposition scene, stuff like that--then it might be worth it.

- Uni

There is no doubt when it comes to dvd's and extra's no one does it better than Cameron. I was hoping that Spielberg would follow suit but he didn't. Shame.

I think Aliens on DVD is the best dvd I have. Not the best movie, but combining all the extra's it's just heads above every other set.

If that's the same 2-Disc set that is included in the Alien Quadrilogy box set (the 2-Disc sets are available separately in the UK), then I totally agree. "Exhaustive" just....doesn't....cover it - and it is so brilliantly put together.

The ALIENS DVD was not made by Cameron, it was made by Charles De Laurizika and Paul Prischman (who sadly passed away recently), as part of the Quadrilogy. Charles is responsible for all of Ridley Scott's (including BLADE RUNNER) and always makes stunning discs. THE ABYSS I believe was produced by Van Ling, who is a friend of Cameron's but who also created the STAR WARS DVDs.

I think Titanic - all criticisms aside - is just fine as it is....although I wouldn't object if he took a leaf out of Ridley Scott's book and made a director's cut that was shorter.....

At least I now know how David Warner gets a bloody nose! I've heard that approx. 45 mins was cut from "Avatar". The SE "Abyss" turns it into a completely different film, and I will not watch the original version anymore. Yes, Greg, the sound on "The Abyss" is amazing! The way the chain clicks in the moonpool when Coffey is pulling on it is great, and the underwater bullets ("the safety's on, the safety's on!"), always impresses me.

The Aliens DVD has poor image quality which makes the film look dated.

Not really. The original Legacy DVD, yeah it's bad, but even with the Quadrilogy, it's poor but that isn't due to the transfer, it's the shitty film stock it was shot on - grainy as hell and flat instead of anamorphic, which Cameron admits was a mistake in the commentary. That - like many other films shot in the 80s - makes it look dated. Using the same fuzzy stock seems to be a theme with a lot of 80s flicks.

To be honest - I don't mind it quite so much as some......gives the film a gritty atmospheric edge.......I remember (and still have) the first VHS release of the Spec Ed - bought it on release day - and the picture quality on that (esp in the new bits) is diabolical.

If that's the same 2-Disc set that is included in the Alien Quadrilogy box set (the 2-Disc sets are available separately in the UK), then I totally agree. "Exhaustive" just....doesn't....cover it - and it is so brilliantly put together.

yeah, its available separately here as well.

I only went for Alien and Aliens, which forms a perfect 2 film combo.

I owned The Abyss on VHS and watched it many many times, and yes the release ending was very sudden, without explanation and rather ridiculous.

You sat there with a "Erm, huh?" darting of the eyes as the two smooched on an alien craft they seemed perfectly comfortable on as if they knew what it was all about but the viewer didn't. Luckily it didn't affect what else I loved about the film, but the ending was bizzare. When the Abyss Special Edition came out later on, it was like watching a completely new film with a perfectly meaningful ending at last. With Aliens, I watched the theatrical release on VHS for years and loved it as it was.

Like every other Alien/Aliens fan, I couldn't wait when the news came of a Special Edition coming on VHS though. Along with everyone else, I pre-ordered it because if I remember correctly there was a 'rumour' at the time that there may only be a certain amount of copies made and if you missed you missed it (this is in the days before proper Home PC and internet). Clever marketing, and we all fell for it. Sheer curiosity got the better of me, with the Aliens SE really. Certain scenes are good, but those colony scenes felt so completely out of place to me. And being a viewer of Red Dwarf, seeing the guy who played the comedic Captain Hollister playing the role of a space Colony Chief meant I couldn't take them seriously. In a way I'd loved how the colony and its people were a complete unknown. All the marines encountered was an aftermath, as with the mysterious scenes with the Space Jockey in Ridley's Alien. After seeing Aliens SE I really wish I hadn't seen those scenes.

Another scene, the "Ellen" was right out of a move like Casablanca too, and didn't feel right to me either.

I liked those auto machine guns scenes and a few others, but Greg 113 is right that the film quality between the release and re-introduced scenes was extremely noticeable on VHS, with the re-introduced ones having a kind of higher contrast and purplish tinge to the scenes. It grabbed your attention way too much. I haven't seen any edition of Aliens on DVD, so I don't know if that was ever sorted. What I do know is that I went back to my theatrical release VHS very soon. I haven't seen a directors cut of T2 and it wouldn't interst me. T2 is long enough as it is if you ask me.

At least I now know how David Warner gets a bloody nose!

He was down where the ship split apart when it has reached its highest angle and people/debris were plummeting down the decks. We don't need to see a cheesy scene of him walking around in a flooded dining room for 10 minutes and getting beat up by Leo to explain some blood on his face. If anything, him standing at the point of the break-up should have been cut. It's quite tacky to put one of the "villains" there to meet a terrible fate.

The UK release of The Abyss, which I have myself unfortunately, is cut by the BBFC if I'm not mistaken. They don't show that rat or hamster or whatever drowning for instance. For me The Abyss is his best film - at least the one with the proper ending. Aliens comes close, but The Abyss seems to be his most mature film, if that's an adjective that can ever be used with Cameron.

Personally, I wouldn't know why anyone would ever watch True Lies again though. I hope I'm not offending anyone, but that film is truly, truly atrocious.

The UK release of The Abyss, which I have myself unfortunately, is cut by the BBFC if I'm not mistaken. They don't show that rat or hamster or whatever drowning for instance.

This is true, although that scene was included when it was shown on Channel 4.

Personally, I wouldn't know why anyone would ever watch True Lies again though. I hope I'm not offending anyone, but that film is truly, truly atrocious.

I sort of agree. I think it's pretty terrible, but I love Bill Paxton in it.

The UK release of The Abyss, which I have myself unfortunately, is cut by the BBFC if I'm not mistaken. They don't show that rat or hamster or whatever drowning for instance. For me The Abyss is his best film - at least the one with the proper ending. Aliens comes close, but The Abyss seems to be his most mature film, if that's an adjective that can ever be used with Cameron.

you're quite wrong, its quite fun on so many levels.

It's a playful film.

No Tom Arnold is actually funny in this film. He works better when playing second fiddle. True Lies is a rather good film and quite funny.

I'm curious if an extended cut might have more of Charlton Heston.

No Tom Arnold is actually funny in this film. He works better when playing second fiddle. True Lies is a rather good film and quite funny.

I'm curious if an extended cut might have more of Charlton Heston.

I loved True Lies as well one of my favorite Schwarzenegger classics.

Edit: BTW the director's cut for The Abyss really helps the movie a lot more, especially at the end with Bud and The Aliens. I love Terminator 2 and love the Director's Cut even more.

I do not remember Charlton Heston in the film.

And he even has one of the best lines - "Sweet Jesus, Harry, you surely screwed the pooch last night, didn't you?".....ridiculous, but the delivery is perfect.....much like most of the the rest of the film, actually....

The Director's Cut of Aliens is arguable one of the greatest action flicks of all time and expands and improves immeasurably beyond the original theatrical version.

I absolutely agree with that, and in similar way, the 2001 expanded and remastered Deluxe Edition soundtrack is waaay above the crappy original CD. :D

BTW, when is Aliens finally coming out on Blu-ray?! :wub::P

I absolutely agree with that, and in similar way, the 2001 expanded and remastered Deluxe Edition soundtrack is waaay above the crappy original CD. :D

Later on this year. Go to digitalbits.com for the best info on upcoming films on dvd and BR.

I read somewhere, though not at digitalbits that the BR version of Aliens may include even more material.

There was originally a scene (which was also in the novelisation) rather similar to the Dallas cocoon deleted scene in ALIEN, where Ripley finds Burke on her hunt for Newt at the end, and gives him a grenade so he can kill himself.

I absolutely agree with that, and in similar way, the 2001 expanded and remastered Deluxe Edition soundtrack is waaay above the crappy original CD. :P

Later on this year. Go to digitalbits.com for the best info on upcoming films on dvd and BR.

I read somewhere, though not at digitalbits that the BR version of Aliens may include even more material.

Great, thanks for the tip, Joey. Christmas may come early this year. :D

I think True Lies is lots of fun.

Paxton's character is superb. We've all met someone like him.

The bit with Heston is when the computer guy mentions the lead terrorist's name, "The Sand Spider" and Heston asks - "Why?"

"Probably because it sounds scary" is the response :D

"

" (one of the many hilarious moments) :wub:

Yeah the score is enjoyable on it's own. I think that has more to do with Shirley Walker's contributions.

But the scene where she does the striptease dance gets a thumbs up from me.

"

" (one of the many hilarious moments) :P

Haha, thanks for posting this, it's really great, all the more hillarious for being so well acted by Malik and the camera guy. :lol:

Yeah the score is enjoyable on it's own. I think that has more to do with Shirley Walker's contributions.

I've missed something.....what contributions?

True Lies is a truly great spy adventure romp. It's got Arnold at his self-deprecating best, gives the other Arnold (Tom) a character that can finally support his smart-ass delivery, a great--and previously unexplored--twist by asking what a Bond-caliber spy might be like if he had a family, more fun action scenes than any Bond film ever had, a sly, stylish sense of humor, and to top it all off the single best live-action stunt shot of all time (the bit with the limousine falling away from Curtis as Brad Fiedel peaks the music).

I can't call it my favorite Cameron film, but it's a worthy addition to his repertoire.

"I'm tired of being in the van. Next time you get to be in the van, Harry. I've been in the van for fifteen years."

- Uni

I think Tom Arnold is very good in this film. He's under the control of a very good director and isn't the main star. He makes a wonderful sidekick for Arnold.

I've missed something.....what contributions?

Shirley Walker orchestrated and conducted the score.

I'm not surprised no one's mentioned Piranha 2: Flying Killers yet (or whatever subtitle you care to give it), but legend has it there's a director's cut of that floating around somewhere. Who'd have thought?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082910/board/nest/135756297