Star Trek Into Darkness (The Big Bad Star Trek (X)II Thread)

John Crichton

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

JJ Abrams confirms Star Trek (X)II will be shot ON FILM, and in 2D

It will sadly also be converted to 3D in post, something he seems completely nonplussed about.

http://trekmovie.com/2011/12/20/jj-abrams-gives-star-trek-sequel-update-to-be-shot-in-2-d-converted/

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised nobody here yet has heard about the Cumberbatch chief villain announcement from early Thurs afternoon. I heard it on the radio in the car. Almost forgotten about it.

Excellent choice, btw.

A Brit as the chief villain in a Star Trek movie? It's not happened as often as it seemed to this uneducated Amerikanskie. Nerd analysis forthcoming.

1 was a machine, then an Indian (Khambatta) acting as the machine's avatar.

II was Mexican (Montalban).

III was American (Lloyd).

IV was another machine, with no avatar or clear human antagonist.

V was American (Luckinbill; the actor who played the "god" at Sha Ka Ree is also American).

VI was Canadian (Plummer, chief among his Starfleet co-conspirators).

VII was British (McDowell). Hooray!

VIII was South African (Krige).

IX was American (Abraham; the actor who played his Starfleet enabler is also American).

X was also British ("Tom Hardy, who is from Hammersmith, which i think you'll find is in London....")

XI was Australian (Bana).

That's it. Ok twice, in all the long history of Star Trek movies, have we actually had a primary villain played by an actor born in the Isles (based on info at Memory Alpha), instead of merely a British-sounding villain.

This parity is acceptable.

Thanks Steef.

Not a fan of the 3D conversion, but I've heard that many directors have found the filming process a pain in the butt.

I think that if enough time is spent on it, it can be effective, but quite often some shots look a bit 'off'.

Hopefully Varese will get the score release right this time! (i.e. a full CD)

D'oh! I put Nemesis so far outta my mind that I forgot about it. I also assigned X to Abrams' movie. Kinda thought "captain correction" Jay woulda jumped all over that typo.

"Done." Past tense. I think Steef may have been looking for past roles, not ones in upcoming movies.

And to be perfectly honest, outside of knowing that he is in BBC's Sherlock, which I have not seen, there is really no reason that an undereducated, undercultured Amerikanskie like myself should have ever heard of this man. I guess that means "no, no legendary roles to date."

• 1 month later...

Apart from Sherlock, what other legendary roles has he done?

He is the be brave guy in Warhorse.

Nero was a new character. Well, he tried to be.

I think he was just Khan and Shinzon combined in a transporter accident, a la Tuvix, but who am I kidding.

Ha! That makes a lot of sense.

I thought he was playing a Vulcan/human hybrid, Sher'lok.

Seriously, the one suggestion I think has any sort of merit to it, based on a few other related tidbits I've seen, is...

Gary Mitchell.

But that could be completely wrong, too.

I thought he was playing a Vulcan/human hybrid, Sher'lok.

Seriously, the one suggestion I think has any sort of merit to it, based on a few other related tidbits I've seen, is...

Gary Mitchell.

But that could be completely wrong, too.

I would rather go with that character than Khan.

Maybe he's playing Captain Crunch?

That's possible. After all, Will Riker told a malevolent alien species that he served aboard the Good Ship Lollipop. Star Trek is terribly inconsistent regarding which aspects of 20th century life are still known in the far future.

Benedict's photo in the leaked photo doesn't look at all like what a "Khan"-like genetically engineered superman should. He also doesn't seem to overpower Spock in the leaked footage, but they fight as equals.

However, Spock easily subdued Kirk in the first Abrams movie when Kirk pushed all the right buttons to torque him off. That would suggest a human is no match for a Vulcan-human hybrid, but a genetic superman would be his equal, not superior to Vulcan.

If BC is playing KNS, I don't want to see it.

Nero, now there is one poorly written, poorly conceived, poorly acted villain. He so stoopid.

I really just hope that Star Trek (X) II:

1. Has NO time travel elements whatsoever

2. Does NOT end up just being a "Enterprise saves the world from a humanoid villian who is destroying worlds out of personal revenge"

That's all I ask

The current crew running Trek is too smart to try to redo Khan, I'm fully confident they won't go there. The Gary Mitchell idea is an interesting one, that's a more obscure (less know by the general public) one and I could see it being fleshed out nicely.

Speaking of Khan, I've long said that a really cool opening for the next Trek movie (when I was also hoping that it would be a Klingon movie) would be a Klingon ship in space, maybe a battle with a Federation ship, and a huge piece of space debris gets in the way and gets blasted to pieces. One of the pieces flys by the camera and we see just barely on the charred remains of this small piece of hull: SS Botany Bay.

The current crew running Trek is too smart to try to redo Khan,

OMG I nearly fell out of the chair.

You're talking about a team that couldn't form a logic thought if Life itself depended on it.

My expectations for Star Trek 2 is the cast will continue to be engaging and thoroughly entertaining, except Simon I'm all wrong for the part Peg. The music will be droll and uninspired like the last one, come on MG knock it out of the park this time, you don't have to acheive Goldsmith, Horner or even L. R status, but better than 6, 7 and11 should be doable for a guy like you. The story will be borderline horrible but better than last time. The engine room will be better because no one like the milk processing plant, I beams and concrete in space do not work idiots.

I really hope they don't do Khan. It's too obvious, too expected. If they do, they technically could only redo the TV episode "Space Seed", or a variation of it, right? "Wrath of Khan" only works if it's set years after the initial encounter with Khan. If they just jump right to "Wrath of Khan", how can there be a proper backstory? Kirk exiled Khan when Kirk was, what, 4 years old? Please. And I sure hope they don't try to force "Space Seed" and "Wrath of Khan" into one movie, that would suck too.

So I'm hoping for either an original bad guy or Gary Mitchell who I'd be OK with.

"Where No Man Has Gone Before" is being redone in a comic to tie into the movie. So I doubt Gary Mitchell will also feature in the film. Which is good, of course... bring on an original villain.