Star Trek Into Darkness (The Big Bad Star Trek (X)II Thread)

John Crichton

I just have no desire to ever review the new movie. To me, it's not much different than all these modern movie remakes of old TV shows that are over-the-top and satirical. But it's more than that. Star Treks I-X are movies that, despite their flaws, I can always watch and enjoy at any given time. If it's on, I'm watching it. Lazy day? Let's put on Star Trek. You know, like any decent episode of the series (or even the crappier ones that are still kinda okay for whatever reason). Star Trek's always there for you. The new one was nothing like that for me. Whatever I could get out of it, I suppose I had once those couple hours were up.

I like the design of the ship okay, it's not great but it works.

The Kirk era Enterprise had its best moment in TMP, where it was beautiful and statuesque.

I love the shots were the hull is very dark, and the light of all the windows really stand out.

Such a fantastic design.

The Kirk era Enterprise had its best moment in TMP, where it was beautiful and statuesque.

I love the shots were the hull is very dark, and the light of all the windows really stand out.

Such a fantastic design.

The Motion Picture Enterprise is definitely a beautiful design. It actually is my number one favorite Enterprise design.

Abram's version was definitely based off the TMP version but the secondary hull is just ugly. If it had been designed to be proportional to the rest of the ship then I would not complain about it as much.

Such a fantastic design.

The Motion Picture Enterprise is definitely a beautiful design. It actually is my number one favorite Enterprise design.

+1 to that. The Refit Enterprise from TMP is "my Enterprise", and I think one of the best miniatures ever put on film.

I think without a doubt the refit Enterprise NCC-1701 is the most beautiful ship EVER, and I think a majority of space ship fans would agree.

I think without a doubt the refit Enterprise NCC-1701 is the most beautiful ship EVER, and I think a majority of space ship fans would agree.

It definitely is and most definitely would agree with you.

The Motion Picture Enterprise is definitely a beautiful design and I think one of the best miniatures ever put on film.

Agreed.

I'm hoping to get the 1/350th refit Enterprise from Round 2 this year. If I can I'm definitely gonna get one of the pre-made light kits for it. That model just screams to be light. I thought about making the 1701-A but I think I'll have her as the 1701.

• 3 weeks later...

That was debunked a while ago. Cumberbatch is playing a new character named John Harrison, and Alice Eve is playing Carol Marcus, they just made her hair look like Elizabeth Dehner's to throw people off

That was debunked a while ago. Cumberbatch is playing a new character named John Harrison, and Alice Eve is playing Carol Marcus, they just made her hair look like Elizabeth Dehner's to throw people off

I wonder about that still.

Well we don't know how many years have passed between the end of the first movie and start of this one right? Could have been a decade of booty-tappin'!

Well we don't know how many years have passed between the end of the first movie and start of this one right? Could have been a decade of booty-tappin'!

Into Darkness picks up six months later.

That's really disappointing...at least 5 years would give them a plausible excuse for these characters to be so experienced and in command positions, instead of being put in charge of a Starship just out the the academy.

That's really disappointing...at least 5 years would give them a plausible excuse for these characters to be so experienced and in command positions, instead of being put in charge of a Starship just out the the academy.

Well they did save a shit ton of people in the first movie. Kinda proved themselves, yeah?

So what you're saying is that you have no faith in Starfleet Academy's success rate at job placement for new graduates? Would you rather they all move back in with mommy and daddy after graduation and sell slushos for five years while moonlighting as ensigns before becoming real officers? Or would you like to accept that this reimagining of the original legendary crew is supposed to be something special?

• 2 weeks later...

so the UK is getting the film before the US, well lucky them???

Trailer 2

What! The trailer gives away that Spock survives the volcano opening from the IMAX prologue!!! :P

Wow, I can't believe JJ put "punch it" in a Star Trek film, LOL

I see nothing special. The images are completely devoid of any emotion.

This is the "Kid's Teaser," to be played ahead of Oz.

What do you want, Schindler's List? ;)

I do agree with you. But we've seen nothing but teasers so far. The teasers for the 2009 film left me cold as well.

Until this trailer:

That third trailer was brilliantly put together. It has some images that made me actually wonder what they were back in the day, and it had that intriguing "that was another life" quote.

I haven't seen anything yet in the trailers for the new film that surprises me, but it might be there somewhere.

History shows it's more likely the sequel will suck than be as good or improved upon the predecessor!

For all we know the film is a discombobulated mess and that's why the teasers are so random. Even the IMAX opening was a little "Ok? Soooo....what?"

Frankly, it had little going on that I found interesting. I don't think it would be difficult to make a better sequel.

Although I saw the prologue and there were some things I didn't understand or looked silly. Maybe some of that will be neutralized in the final complete film. Or not.

It was already in the other film, hehe.

I just replayed it with The Chieftains playing out loud and suddenly it looked like a fun movie. lol

For all we know the film is a discombobulated mess and that's why the teasers are so random. Even the IMAX opening was a little "Ok? Soooo....what?"

I have no idea what's going on in this film. There's this superhuman villain character, a sick girl, Klingons chasing the heroes, the Enterprise somehow underwater for some odd reason, the Enterprise falling through the atmosphere, an attack on London, a ship that isn't the Enterprise crashing in the sea, Kirk dodging debris in a spacesuit trying to reach another starfleet ship, the villain fighting klingons, Spock randomly jumping off a tall building, Kirk and McCoy randomly jumping out of a very tall cliff just because the writers couldn't think on something else... My mind can't put it together so far.

And Spock and Uhura are still together and adding completely useless minutes of token romance.

Trailer 2

What! The trailer gives away that Spock survives the volcano opening from the IMAX prologue!!! :P

He already did: Pike tells Sulu twice to "punch it" when they head out to investigate the distress call. So they're taking Han's saying and turning it into a point of mentor/mentee imitation. It was a nice wink in the first one. Now I'm kind of going, "God, you've got both franchises now. Just let it fucking go, man."