Star Trek Into Darkness (The Big Bad Star Trek (X)II Thread)

John Crichton

How? Nero died at the end of the movie, and all the red matter -- which could have been used to destroy the star now that goes supernova or simply keep in storage for a hundred years or so -- was destroyed in the singularity that destroyed his ship, the Narada.

If we are to believe that Nero, while waiting for Spock to arrive, has already taken the Narada to Romulus and already taken care of the star that will go bad, and then returned to receive Spock, well....A) if they didn't show or mention it, it didn't happen (sorry Klingon prison) and B) Nero wasn't that smart or foresighted.

I meant if he didnt die obviously...

You mean the old soap opera trick of "we watched your ship get pulled into a black hole, crushed, then exploded outwards," but you survived anyways?

Oh sure, it could happen.

I meant if he defeated kirk (or kirk beamed into a star, or a supernova, beaming is NOT like dusting crops Wojo, instead of the Enterprise's engineering section) obviously. (obviously not obvious enough since you posted that)

• 1 month later...

So from an old friend who is on VFX for this movie it's evident they are ramping up work on shots that will go in the trailer.

Given the timeline for the shots it's looking like we'll see the trailer debut with Skyfall.

So from an old friend who is on VFX for this movie it's evident they are ramping up work on shots that will go in the trailer.

Given the timeline for the shots it's looking like we'll see the trailer debut with Skyfall.

Great news. It seems like there's always a star trek trailer in front of the bond movies.

Sent from Tapatalk

Not a very good title!

I guess this means they will go dark and gritty like all films theses days?

Say what you want about Star Trek (2009) I liked the fact that they actually used a color scheme consisting of more then dark blue, black, grey and brown

So it's Star Trek Into Darkness or Star Trek: Into Darkness?

Come to think of it I think the fatal flaw of the title is the lack of "the."

It throws off the rhythm and power of the title.

Read it out loud:

Star Trek Into Darkness

Star Trek Into the Darkness

English is weird. Into the Darkness sounds way better to my ears. This will be solved translating the title to languages without articles or that require them.

Star Trek Into Darkness, without colon, reminds me a lot of the primal aspect of Star Trek, and I think it's a good sign. On the other hand I'm still convinced that the film will find a way to suck.

Edit: I just had an awesome idea about the title, the story and Benedict Cumberbatch's character. But I'm not sure about it so I'll shut up until further confirmation.

Read it out loud:

Star Trek Into Darkness

Wow! The difference is stunning.

I think "fatal" is overdoing it a tad, don't you think? It has to do with how you speak the title and where you put the emphasis.

If you say "Star Trek" quickly and then leave a pause for the subtitle, then you will miss the missing "the" because your tongue gets hung up on "Into" which throws off the meter of the title.

But if you put the mental pause between "Star" and "Trek," it works better. It makes "Trek Into Darkness" the primary title, which demotes "Star" to an afterthought that just happens to come first in the title. And this is what Starfleet ships do in Star Trek: they trek into darkness.

But Wojo, don't they "trek into THE darkness of space?"

Why yes, they certainly do.

~*~

In the end, we're arguing about the semantics of the twelfth film title in a series that first made grammar teachers everywhere shudder 46 years ago by splitting the infinitive: "To boldly go" as opposed to the more grammatically correct but much lamer sounding "to go boldly." Leave the grammar lessons out of Star Trek; they've been ignored since Day One.

Not a good title, but since it's designed to appeal to a dumb downed crowd not a surprise.

The hacks scribing this films just spit on fans again.

still must keep fingers crossed that a subpar director and terrible writers will be drowned out by a superior cast.

for those of you who would like to own Star Trek '09 on blu you can find it in the bargain bins at Walmart for 5 bucks.

It's a weird title for a Star Trek film.

I agree and I also agree that not having the word "the" in the title throws things off.

Star Trek Motion Picture

Star Trek II Wrath Of Khan

Star Trek III Search For Spock

Star Trek IV Voyage Home

Star Trek V Final Frontier

Star Trek VI Undiscovered Country

As you can see it seems so weird if those didn't have the word "the" in them.

Read it out loud:

Star Trek Into Darkness

Wow! The difference is stunning.

I think "fatal" is overdoing it a tad, don't you think?

I think fatal is overdoing it a tad, yes. Dramatic flair.

If you say "Star Trek" quickly and then leave a pause for the subtitle, then you will miss the missing "the" because your tongue gets hung up on "Into" which throws off the meter of the title.

But if you put the mental pause between "Star" and "Trek," it works better. It makes "Trek Into Darkness" the primary title, which demotes "Star" to an afterthought that just happens to come first in the title. And this is what Starfleet ships do in Star Trek: they trek into darkness.

You have lost your damned mind. And yes, I think "damned" is overdoing it a tad.

In the end, we're arguing about the semantics of the twelfth film title in a series that first made grammar teachers everywhere shudder 46 years ago by splitting the infinitive: "To boldly go" as opposed to the more grammatically correct but much lamer sounding "to go boldly." Leave the grammar lessons out of Star Trek; they've been ignored since Day One.

Split infinitives have nothing to do with metrical rhythm!

plot hole, bad writing, semantics as far as I'm concerned.

Let's see.
Spock views the destruction of Vulcan from Delta Vega. Vulcan is larger in the sky than our own moon. Delta Vega is light years from Vulcan, so Spock being without communication equipment would have no way of knowing that Vulcan is destroyed. He would not know he's emotional compromised and therefore could not advise Kirk to use this to his advantage. (this isn't just bad writing, it's a plot hole). I suppose they could have used the telepathic link that was used in the Immunity Syndrome, but I choose not to give them help..
All of this assumes that it is the same Delta Vega we saw in TOS: WNMGB, which was not the frozen environment, was in a completely different area of space, and who's Starfleet outpost was an unmanned ore mining facility. Obviously, this was a different planetoid located in the Vulcan system.
Nero going after Spock in the more recent time is pointless. He has no specific knowledge that he'll appear anywhere.
Not the case. He did some "calculations" to figure out where/when he would arrive. We don't need to know how he did his calculations to know that he did them, acted on them, and they were correct.
Once Nero does capture Spock he plans to destroy Vulcan, and then the Earth. But now he has the means in his hands to prevent the destruction of his world. He choose to follow his base need for revenge rather than to save his world.

25 years waiting for Spock, he clearly doesn't have all his marbles in that area. Completely in character for someone who doesn't think in terms of time travel, alternate realities etc. Shared Vulcan ancestry does not mean Vulcan thinking style.
Wojo, I've been very consistent in my praise for Star Trek 2009's casting, and acting, except for Simon Pegg who I think is all wrong.

Fair thoughts in Simon Pegg, though I liked him well enough.

Well, if it's fashionable for the usual loudmouths (they know who they are) to take up one position, I enjoy playing devil's advocate, regardless of my personal feelings of the title. I don't hate the title, and it could have been better, but I think it's perfectly serviceable. It makes me think of Heart of Darkness...maybe they'll give the Enterprise head lights to create extra lens flares, and when they turn them off, it'll get dark outside so they can trek into darkness.

It's a better title than "Star Trek: The Motion Picture," which is just lame, but fits in well with the late 70's practice of making "The Movie" or "The Motion Picture" the subtitle that Superman and Santa Claus also used. Oh, the first movie was a great one, it's just a lousy title.

Frankly, I think that "Star Trek: The Final Frontier" was damn near one of the best film titles, since it fits in well with Star Trek's mission statement that Kirk reads. The movie didn't live up to the grandeur that its title promised.

Oh, and losing one's damned mind is a pre-req for continued membership at this bin of loonies.

I don't hate the title, and it could have been better, but I think it's perfectly serviceable. It makes me think of Heart of Darkness...

This is what I was thinking. This and these pictures of Benedict Cumberbatch as a Starfleet officer fighting Spock. Is Benedict Cumberbatch playing a space Kurtz? In the context of a war with the klingons, who are in the film?

I don't hate the title, and it could have been better, but I think it's perfectly serviceable. It makes me think of Heart of Darkness...

This is what I was thinking. This and these pictures of Benedict Cumberbatch as a Starfleet officer fighting Spock. Is Benedict Cumberbatch playing a space Kurtz? In the context of a war with the klingons, who are in the film?

:eek:

Neat idea!

Star Trek: Apocalypse Now Into The Heart of Darkness

I think it would be a good idea. They admitted they had the options of creating a big villain and creating a journey/discovery story where the unkown is the advesary. As well as the posibility of doing something with the Klingons. An Apocalypse Now plot solves the problem combinating all of that.

It's a timeless template whose structure is rarely deviated from in any meaningful sense, but it'd certainly be good to see someone one pull a fresh take off. It probably doesn't help that I've just finished a game which lifted heavily from Conrad's classic.

I'm not crazy about the title, but I've heard worse. Hell, "The Empire Strikes Back" is a pretty lame title, if you really think about it (which none of us do anymore, of course), yet it's widely received as an excellent sequel, and for good reason.

Well, in the serial tribute context of the series, it's an excellent title (as is the oft-maligned "The Phantom Menace").

I do like the idea of using Heart of Darkness as a springboard for a Trek film. It would certainly point the series in a more reflective direction, which I think is a very good thing, despite the fact that I rather enjoyed ST09.

Knock off the word "Star", and I think I see where they are going. I guess the movie is a <star> Trek Into Darkness.

I said that already....

Knock off the word "Star", and I think I see where they are going. I guess the movie is a <star> Trek Into Darkness.

I said that already....

No, you really didn't.

I say it as "A Star Trek Into The Darkness" but without a A.

Maybe they were inspired by that line Picard said in the trailer to Nemesis, but which I think was cut from the finished film. Something to the effect of "it feels like we truly are sailing into the unknown."

Well, in the serial tribute context of the series, it's an excellent title (as is the oft-maligned "The Phantom Menace").

I do like the idea of using Heart of Darkness as a springboard for a Trek film. It would certainly point the series in a more reflective direction, which I think is a very good thing, despite the fact that I rather enjoyed ST09.

If that's the case, maybe they should call it... Aspockalypse Now!

http://instantrimshot.com/

Exactly, people's minds automatically group Star and Trek to be read together as a singular title, which is why some think there should be a colon.