Star Trek Into Darkness (The Big Bad Star Trek (X)II Thread)

John Crichton

I remember I wrote a few pages describing my "own" Star Trek film after I saw the 11th film.

I involved the search of an artifact through space and finding it in a weird but scientifically accurate solar system. The climax of the film involved the main crew inside the mechanical remains of a city of an lost civilization trying to save their life. Sort of like Indy IV but cooler. The main villain was an alien queen who wanted to be human.

Then I realized I would never write any actual Star Trek film and I ditched the thing as useless.

I want a big space battle this time with many dozens of starships.

It depends on the actor or the villain. Unfortunately, most of the movies seem to want to ape Khan, which I guess makes sense given its plaudits. But I'm getting tired of it.

Bana was fine as Nero, but the role was really underwritten.

The point is. Star Trek (2009) was a big action spectacle, and a big hit. They are not going to follow that be a cerebral "thinking man's" sci-fi film. Best we can hope for that this time the script will be good....

I say we should have the Enterprise deciding to go on its own in the middle of aall that and ending the war.

They could also use relativistic bombs! Mountains disintegrating instantly! So many cool things to do in a space opera and we get lasers! :(

I just don't want another "The Enterprise has to save planets from getting destroyed by an alien who wants revenge" storyline.

I also think it would be cool if the second film sets up a much larger storyline that only partially gets resolved at the end, with the adversary not being truly defeated until the third film

I also think it would be cool if the second film sets up a much larger storyline that only partially gets resolved at the end, with the adversary not being truly defeated until the third film

Booring. That's like The Matrix all over again.

So we get one big OS Star Trek story. Like cold war with the Klingons (second movie deals with an isolated incident, which, when resolved reveals a larger Klingon plan?) or something.

Seems like a waste of two films. Let them explore. The only between-installment continuity should lie within the main characters.

And Pirates of the Caribbean. And Star Wars.

I think it's difficult to get it right.

QF frickin' T. It's a great concept - in theory, I have no problem with a standalone film spawning a trilogy in which the two sequels tell a single story - but there's significant precedent for it being done really, really poorly. (I'm thinking POTC more than Star Wars here.)

In retrospect, I don't think it worked as well with the Back to the Futures (but I'm someone who's kind of outgrown the sequels). My problem is that 2 is so busy that 3 feels like nothing is happening. 3 has all the character stuff, which is weird. 2 has little breathing room between time-hopping and all the various quests in each time period.

Empire didn't quite lead directly into Jedi. There's some form of finale there. I like that more than the BTTF/Matrix/POTC style cliffhanger with a requirement to view a sequel.

Back To The Future Part 2 did show us though what could happen if one man (especially an evil person) was able to change history for themselves. I do agree though there wasn't much breathing room in between the two films.

Referring back to what I said for BTTF 2 showing us what could happen if one person changed history to benefit themselves, Doc even tried to warn Marty about that when Doc caught Marty with the Sports Almanac. When they figured out how Biff changed history Marty then realized that something similar could have happened had Marty changed history just for himself and or his family.

"Even if your intentions are good, they can backfire drastically!" - 1955 Doc Brown.

In retrospect, I don't think it worked as well with the Back to the Futures (but I'm someone who's kind of outgrown the sequels). My problem is that 2 is so busy that 3 feels like nothing is happening. 3 has all the character stuff, which is weird. 2 has little breathing room between time-hopping and all the various quests in each time period.

Empire didn't quite lead directly into Jedi. There's some form of finale there. I like that more than the BTTF/Matrix/POTC style cliffhanger with a requirement to view a sequel.

BttF 2 feels disjointed. The stuff with Marty's girlfriend at the begining (can't remember her name), where the script just tries to make her disappear already, for example :lol:

The third film was a great conclusion, though!

Duh. Once the sequels were greenlit, the screenwriters were stuck with the first movie's conclusion that makes them bring Jennifer along to the future. For whatever reason Doc brings her along, he quickly regrets it when he knocks her out. This creates two moments of tension.

First, we get to see what happens when Past Self meets Future Self. Does the universe end in paradoxical catastrophe as suggested by Doc Brown? Of course not, they both pass out from shock. Later on, we see Doc 1985 talking to Doc 1955 without incident, and Marty 1985 B watches Marty 1985 A play guitar without incident.

The second is that by leaving Jennifer in the bad 1985 when they return to 1955 to destroy the book, Doc intends to make Jennifer a focal point of the temporal realignment, by which the corrections to the timeline will revolve around her and she will remain intact and unaware. It's a huge gamble and probably bullshit, but if we care anything about Jennifer, we now have to root extra hard for the duo to succeed. They "must succeed."

But yea, she is a third wheel. You can't have more characters in your movie than you have seats for in your movie's car. That's why Doc had to build a train.

So in other words, keep time travel out of the next Star Trek flick. Good to know.

Hopefully the next one will NOT have any sort of time travel in it at all. Time travel has been used to death during the Star Trek franchise. I was a bit annoyed when time travel was used in Star Trek (2009).

I was fine with the time travel in the 2009 movie, especially with how they utilized it as a way to reset the universe somewhat for the movies going forward.

I will say, however, that there should not be any future time travel/alternate reality type stories for a while.

I'd say let's get back to basics: Encounter something we have never seen before that tests our crew personally, morally, ethically and professionally.

This and a surprise or two. Something original and thoughtful, and hopefully fun.

I wonder if the last film of this 2009 reboot ST series will be a "normal" ending, or an ending where the timeline is "restored"....

How could that be as in how would they be able to do it?

have Alt universe picard (or whatever) go back in time and do something (destroy the narada before it kills Kirks father)

but of course it would go against there idea (but if this is their last film it shouldnt matter anyway)

It's only news to the mainstream public who may have forgotten about the 2009 movie and its sequel. Some of us can't go five minutes without saying how hard it sucked or how much we miss the choir music or how badly we want to see some putz cast as Khan.

The rest of us are merely waiting patiently.

Paramount has finally announced a new release date for that Star Trek sequel (no official title) yet: May 17, 2013 in 3D.

J.J. Abrams is returning to direct, so that means Giacchino will be back.

EDIT: Giacchino said in a recent ComingSoon interview that he WILL score it.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=84605