Keep your USB cords out of your mouth

Wojo

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

She must have been sucking on it long enough to let saliva enter the connector and complete the electrical circuit. Otherwise, there's no possibility of receiving a shock from such a device (unless, of course, the device was malfunctioning).

Certainly, that's what little kids do, they suck on objects that are in easy reach. The voltage of a USB cord is low, but the resistance of a wet mouth is low, which draws a high current, causing shock and or burns.

Sure.

There must have been a fault with this equipment that put way too much current into the child.

5v 0.5a. We're talking about a level of powe comparable to about 4x AA batteries.

I usually try and keep anything that plugs into electrical appliances or carries a possible electrical current out of my mouth and away from my kids as well.

Well until they at least reached the age where they knew better.

I've stuck a key in the socket before and lived. <checks> Yea, I've got a pulse.

I also went to plug a two-pronged non-polarized plug into a socket in the dark, and ended up sticking the left prong in the right slot, with my finger against the right prong. The act of getting shocked felt like pushing two north magnets together, only stronger.

I've stuck a key in the socket before and lived. <checks> Yea, I've got a pulse.

Trying this out in the US 120V socket is OK (that doesn't mean do it because you could be in circumstances that will fry you). Not sure about 220/230 Euro/Asia ones, I would hope they have very high quality insulation and wiring and safety features. :cool:

I've been shocked before thru faulty electrical equipment.

One time I was changing a light above on an old kitchen vent, standing on a chair, and the force of the jolt threw me off and into a cabinet.

Fortunately there were no marks and I should add that I was 9 or 10 years old and small.

But yeah, it scared the hell out of me.

In 2006, I switched my light on in my room and noticed it flickering. I stood right beneath it and looked up at it. I then walked away from it only to hear it explode right behind me. If I'd remained in that previous position any longer, I'd be blind today. I still shiver thinking about it.

I was climbing over a fence to escape dinosaurs when some bitch turned the power back on and the force threw my stunt double to the ground where I was revived by Alan Grant.

Oh damn, this is the wrong thread.