Alexandre Desplat will score "Deathly Hallows Pt. 1"

TownerFan

OOTP is Ok I play it on my ipod sometimes but HBP didn't cut it.

Same here. There are parts of OoTP that I genuinely enjoy, but there was nothing of value to me in HBP, aside from In Noctem.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not Desplat?

His cerebral approach to scoring doesn't suit my wild binge drinking lifestyle.

I'll drink to that. :)

I've got a nice flask of scotch I'll join in as well.

Yes, OotP was definately a better score, in fact for a rookie I thought it was a decent job. HBP was just, as I said in that thread, epic fail.

I really hate HBP, but I wouldn't call Hooper a rookie ...

He's just, well, not up to it.

I thought Hooper's score for HBP didn't deserve the lashing you guys are giving it. Yes, it could've been better if Williams had scored it (or Doyle even). But honestly, he gave what pleased David Yates, and sometimes for composers that's all that matters.

I do think that Yates went for Desplat is because some of his stylistic choices mirror Hooper's (there are some, admit it!). And because he wants someone to work with him during filming on Part Two and during post-production on Part One.

If you want to blame someone for HBP's score, blame David Yates too. In any rate, Yates and the producers scored major points for getting Desplat on this project.

I notice Erik is taking the news really, really hard. Not only because Williams isn't doing it, but because he's angry that a hot composer right now (and not an unknown composer he likes) has the gig.

I still love OotP, though maybe a bit less than I used to. HBP was much worse, I felt that there were some moments that only make for a horrible listen, but really hurt the film. At the same time, it has some very very strong moments that are great to listen to.

I still love OotP, though maybe a bit less than I used to. HBP was much worse, I felt that there were some moments that only make for a horrible listen, but really hurt the film. At the same time, it has some very very strong moments that are great to listen to.

What parts did you think actively hurt the movie?

The only thing I remember at the moment was when Dumbeldore falls off the tower, and there's that cello solo I think it was. It was cliche and boring. I was very disapointed.

Also, remember Desplat collaborates with Conrad Pope at the orchestrations, so maybe he will help to put some nice Williams-esque touches.

yes.. since he is actually responsible for the williams-sound this should not be a problem ;)

I am looking to get "into" Desplat, especially before D.H. I only have one c.d. of his (B.B.)and I like it. Oh, hold on, let me have a look in the Desplat section of my c.d. collection.......AHA! Found it. I remember now; I have "Hostage" that I bought a while back at a local charity shop for the princely sum of £1. I'll listen to it, and report back asap.

I am looking to get "into" Desplat, especially before D.H. I only have one c.d. of his (B.B.)and I like it. Oh, hold on, let me have a look in the Desplat section of my c.d. collection.......AHA! Found it. I remember now; I have "Hostage" that I bought a while back at a local charity shop for the princely sum of £1. I'll listen to it, and report back asap.

Hostage is a very nice action-drama score. Actually one of the first -if not the first one- of his done in US&A.

Also, remember Desplat collaborates with Conrad Pope at the orchestrations, so maybe he will help to put some nice Williams-esque touches.

Pope didn't orchestrate Desplat's New Moon score, but maybe that was due to scheduling conflicts.

I never heard of this guy, Desplat. If he doesn't score both of the DH films, it will kind of seem weird that the two films will have different style scores.

If he doesn't score both of the DH films, it will kind of seem weird that the two films will have different style scores.

Weirder than Prisoner of Azkaban followed by Goblet of Fire? Weirder than Goblet of Fire followed by Order of the Phoenix? Weirder than Half-Blood Prince followed by Deathly Hallows Part I?

Either people have already noticed the composer changes, or they never will. A change in composers between the 7th and 8th film will be a non-issue, unless of course it changes from Alexandre Desplat to John Williams, in which case those who notice will universally praise the result.

A lot of the casual fans are like "I want Hooper back!" or "Where's John Williams? I thought he was scoring the final movie!" I think two composers for Parts One and Two will be fine, since the studio and producers are aiming to make them two separate and completely different movies.

But on the other hand, they do want to make them interconnected pieces of one story. It'll be an abrupt change in tone if Desplat scores the seventh movie but Williams gets the final, eighth movie. I wouldn't mind it provided the caliber of both composers.

Continuity has never been a concern for the Potter films. Compare CoS with PoA--the films themselves could not be more different in tone, style, etc. Changing the composer between Part 1 and 2 will be A) unnoticable to almost all the moviegoers and B)not a problem if Potter fans are as willing to accept abrupt changes as they have in the past.

Like KM said, the divisions between story arcs between I'd say OotP and on are a bit fuzzy. The only black and white divisor I'd say is the end of the school years, but even that is non-existent from the HBP->DH switch (since Harry doesn't go back to school).

The only thing I remember at the moment was when Dumbeldore falls off the tower, and there's that cello solo I think it was. It was cliche and boring. I was very disapointed.

Yes! It made me cringe. Worst moment of the score. (Runners-up include the overbearingly melancholy music for Ron and Hermione's fight after the Quidditch match and any scene with Malfoy.)

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder what are the chances of Alexandre Desplat being replaced at the last moment by John Williams because what Desplat turned in didn't convince the producers?

I guess pretty low, considering Desplat is a much more talented composer than Hooper. :rolleyes:

I re-listened to The Golden Compass..I don't like it very much overall .There's some good ideas (Sky Ferry) but most of it seems to go nowhere and is generic orchestral

You guys are nuts :) Give it another listen and take note of the themes and how they're incorporated into the action music. Especially each statement of the Sky Ferry theme is awesome! (e.g. in the bear fight and the final fight)

There are probably dozen of recurring themes used troughout. It kind of reminds me of LOTR, but much subtler and carefull. Anyway, desplat is more than capable to write this. I'm sure he will be respectful to the Williams material. Not necessarily by using themes, but more by honouring his style. He might be asked to write gentler material though (like Hooper did).

Karol - who likes it very much