• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's funny that now the mugglenetters are panicking that JW isn't coming back

http://www.mugglenet.../news/show/3190

Bahaha, they're really taking it worse than most of us! Here's a choice quote:

"Way to dig your own grave, WB".

Yes, I'm sure the Potter juggernaut will be stopped because once again a new composer has been brought aboard. That's definitely how consumers think.

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!!!! ALEXANDRE DESPLAT!!???? WTF THIS MOVIE’S SCORE BELONGS TO JOHN WILLIAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I CANT BELIEVE THIS BULL….. WHERES JOHN WILLIAMS!!!!!!???!!!!! NOOOOOO /sob

Where is John Williams?? I do not care what he has done or how good some folks think he is, John should do the last two installments of HP! Cellar Door ["SQUEE"] is absolutely correct!!!!!

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!!!! ALEXANDRE DESPLAT!!???? WTF THIS MOVIE’S SCORE BELONGS TO JOHN WILLIAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I CANT BELIEVE THIS BULL….. WHERES JOHN WILLIAMS!!!!!!???!!!!! NOOOOOO /sob

Where is John Williams?? I do not care what he has done or how good some folks think he is, John should do the last two installments of HP! Cellar Door ["SQUEE"] is absolutely correct!!!!!

The international OnlinePostLicense cannot come soon enough....

Well a Desplat score would just be great. A pity though.

But didn't Heyman say something like :"Yes it is all about his schedule for part 2" which we interpreted as(because we are fanboys/girls afterall): "ahh so he will have time for Part 1 and all they have to check if he can be available for p2."

Which leads me to following conlusions:

1. At that point Heyman knew Williams could only do the 2nd part

2. They where still waiting to see if Williams can do both parts - which he can't, so he had to back out.

(allthough he could probably do one, but the producers don't want that)

he actually NEVER mentioned the 1st part.

2. They where still waiting to see if Williams can do both parts - which he can't, so he had to back out.

I believe the second case is the more likely and that's why probably Desplat will do Part II as well.

One of the peculiarity about contracting Williams for scoring services is that he has the right to back out from the project after he sees the first cut if he doesn't like it, especially in the case of a director he never worked with.

I believe the second case is the more likely and that's why probably Desplat will do Part II as well.

One of the peculiarity about contracting Williams for scoring services is that he has the right to back out from the project after he sees the first cut if he doesn't like it, especially in the case of a director he never worked with.

Huh? This makes no sense. If #2 is the case, then Desplat would have been signed and confirmed for BOTH parts.

So, because Desplat is confirmed only for the first part, it suggests that the producers weren't desperate to have the same composer for both Part I and II.

Therefore, Heyman's original comments about Part II have nothing to do with Part I. "It's all about his schedule for Part II" means just that -- he was most likely unable to do Part I but they were working out Part II."

Whatever you think, though, NOTHING is known about Part II. Yet.

Well since it's been mentioned in the past, by people who work in the industry, that composers are usually the last ones to be attached to a film (Remember the WOTW fiasco when Williams' name wasn't attached until late in the game?) I'd say we have another long wait.

For all we know Desplat will be back.

I would say if Williams truly wants to score DH part 2, he will. He's going to be 78, he's obviously slowed down on the Hollywood scene.

I liken him to athletes I've watched over the years, eventually they step away and retire and as a fan you have to accept it.

Heh, no there was no doubt to me but you should have been here. His name wasn't on any of the early posters.

There was some panicking going on. From Tom Cruise influencing Spielberg to wanting Hans Zimmer...it was rather hilarious to read at times.

I believe that's when someone stepped up and mentioned composers are the last attached.

Heh, no there was no doubt to me but you should have been here. His name wasn't on any of the early posters.

There was some panicking going on. From Tom Cruise influencing Spielberg to wanting Hans Zimmer...it was rather hilarious to read at times.

Yeah, I believe I may have had something to do with that... :lol:

Yeah, I believe I may have had something to do with that... :lol:

I didn't mention your name on purpose but yeah you sure started an uproar. :D

What if they are doing the smart thing and are not making a two-part movie,

but instead are making two movies out of the last book?

In that case, continuity wouldn't be as much of an issue and they can bring back Williams for the last one anyway.

If it were me, I'd also ask J.K. Rowling to come up with a seperate name for Part 2.

The first film named as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and the last film, say, Harry Potter and the Battle of Hogwarts, sounds so much better than

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, doesn't it?

Riiiiiiiiiight. Just like The Lord of the Rings wasn't a three part movie, it was three movies out of the same book.

Six one, half dozen the other. It's still a two part movie because they need some kind of climax between the two halves, and not just stop somebody in mid-sentence.

Like Pieter I don't see the problem with the "continuity" of the last 2 movies

the books are 7 books but all connected ,there is no real ending to the last few of them

The movies can be considered 8 movies

In that case, continuity wouldn't be as much of an issue and they can bring back Williams for the last one anyway.

If it were me, I'd also ask J.K. Rowling to come up with a seperate name for Part 2.

The first film named as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and the last film, say, Harry Potter and the Battle of Hogwarts, sounds so much better than

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, doesn't it?

Harry Potter and the Final Desperate Grab For Nerdcash?

As far as I know, the director and all the cast members are saying that the 2 movies will be pretty different. They are calling Part 1 a "road movie", for example. There have been rumors of where the split between the two films will occur, but the studio keeps saying that they will change their mind if they want to for whatever makes the most satisfying ending to Part 1. The rumor right now is the split will occur right before the trio is taken as prisoners to Malfoy Manor, which in a way does make it end on a cliffhanger. This was actually revealed in an interview with one of the cast members. But like I said, this isn't set in stone.

I think they very well could have 2 different composers for the 2 films. The 2nd half of the book is a bit different than how the first half was. I'm just now currently concerned that Desplat can do good action. Because Part 1 is actually full of action, no matter where the split occurs (the multiple Potters segment, the running through the Muggle town after the wedding breaks up, the part at the Ministry of Magic, and of course parts of their camping trip). Desplat has yet to please me with his action music.

Come on people, let's look at the bright side, just imagine how good Tin Tin is going to be now that he doesn't have any other scores to distract him. All the good new music in his head can now go to Tin Tin.

Of course if you want to take the more fanboyish route, maybe Desplat's score will be rejected and they'll have to call Johnny to save the day!

Yeah, this is disappointing. When Hooper stepped down, it was the best indication that Williams would return. Oh well...at this point it seems highly unlikely that he will return for DH2. We just have the face the fact that he is retired with the exception of Spielberg's movies. When looking back at Williams' career, his exit from the Potter series will be viewed as one of the biggest missed opportunities :spiny:

Regarding the inevitable illness concerns, if he has the energy to do the Texas and Tanglewood concerts and compose Tin Tin, I see no cause for concern. God forbid, if he starts cancelling concerts or pulls out of a Spielberg movie (it pained me to type that), then we should be concerned.

On the other hand, I'm pleased with Desplat. After such a productive year, he's earned such a high profile movie. His main theme to New Moon is lovely. He hasn't earned his "action music" badge yet, so that's my only concern but he could surprise us. He is certainly one of the best replacements for Williams. Afterall, could you only imagine the damage a guy from Media Ventures would have done!

Maybe the producers want a more action orientated composer for DH2 due to the massive battle scenes in that movies. They don't seem to care too much about musical consistency. James Newton Howard would be a good choice in this department (but I’m getting ahead of myself ;) )

Harry Potter and the Final Desperate Grab For Nerdcash?

I'd prefer Harry Potter and the Return of John Williams, although I will be surprised if Desplat doesn't score Part 2.

"Mr. Williams, we have your family, if you want to see them again you'll have to compose 3 new themes for Harry Potter".

Then it could be made into a movie, starring Harrison Ford as John Williams of course.

They could take a Steve Jablonsky score and threaten to put JW's name on it.

"Are you suggesting that I wrote this score? Are you saying that I composed those motifs and that I conducted that orchestra? How dare you! When I came home, there was another composer in my house. I fought with this man. He had a mechanical arm. You find this man. You find this man."

could have made

I don't think anybody can "make" him do anything. They ask him, if he says no, then they move on.

i suppose my choice of words was wrong.

Anywa, where do we sign to kidnap Williams family? :spiny:

I have been going back through New Moon since I dismissed it far too quickly. I still do not care for the main theme but the Dreamcatcher theme is very lovely and well developed. This is the kind of music Desplat excels at. THere's also some terrific action scoring towards the end of the soundtrack CD that some might have passed over due to the programming of earlier less inspired tracks. I would say from track 15 onward, there are some exceptional moments, worthy of Williams and certainly worthy of Harry Potter. I think this news is actually pretty decent compared to what we could have gotten:

Trevor Rabin

Brian Tyler

Klaus Badelt

John Ottman

and the list goes on and on.

Desplat can write themes and delicate melodies which seems to suit the Potter franchise. Didn't care for Hopper's Potter nor Doyle's even though both are British.

Better a minimalistic score with style than a minimalistic puke fest like HBP.

Not saying DH will be minimalistic though.

Not saying that HBP was either, of course. Because it wasn't. :cool:

I didn't think Hooper's scores for OOTP and HBP were "abysmal." There are far more scores deserving that moniker, at least Hooper knows some melody and decent orchestration.