The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

The compilation itself is fine; it's simply way overpriced.

I'd buy a separate release of just disc 1 of the set. Everything on discs 2-6 has been available for years

Sooo... a collection of scores released in 1985.

What the heck was the point of that. I'd much rather they focused on expanding their perpetuity titles.

And, the 'Varese Sarabande Symphony Orchestra'? Hah. Nothing like a label with an ego is there.

I'll buy it because I want the most comprehensive collection of film score boxsets imaginable. Well I don't have the Elfman/Burton box because the price tag was astronomical.

I didn't buy that one (and I could) because it presented only soundtrack albums with some extra bits at the end. So, in order to make a proper listen, it would take me a lot of work to arrange those into some sort of playable list. Plus, it costed more than an all possible expanded albums for each of those scores separately (maybe even twice that!).

Karol

The compilation itself is fine

Of course, it is, but calling it "a very big and very historic announcement"? Wut?

And the price, too..

I can't even call the announcement an exaggeration because the most de-hyped version of it still doesn't seem to apply to this release at all.

Was it my imagination, or did MV from La-La Land say at FSM about a year or so ago that Varese was going to knock everyone's socks off in the near future? It seemed like he was hinting at some real breakthroughs that would bring them back center stage among the labels.

MV did not say that. He said they could if they wanted, with all the perpetuity titles they have.

But Robert doesn't seen interested in working on much of those.

Nobody knows what Varese is planning for the future, certainly not their competitors.

But Robert doesn't seen interested in working on much of those.

That's one of the most worrying things in the current film music world.

And he's said explicitly that he doesn't think everything needs expanding.

Why doesn't he just give up the perpetual rights he has over some titles, then (if such a thing can be done), if he doesn't intend to do anything with them?

SO, which Williams scores Varese owns in perpetuity that we won't see then in expanded form?

Why would he? These are company assets. They have a value!

It's a smart business attitude -- what I own, nobody else can profit from -- but it's tremendously selfish.

Are Jaws 2 and Dracula in print? No, their old CDs are long out of print. This means they don't represent current revenue streams for Varese. Varese makes money from other albums, in the soundtrack genre as well as others that we don't worry about here.

But Varese recognizes that as long as they own the rights to those scores, their competition does not, so they are protecting that potential untapped revenue from being exploited by competitors without using it themselves, because they have alternate sources of revenue.

Varese remains profitable, while we the fans are forced to pay through the nose for antiquated editions on the second hand market or resort to piracy.

I interpret this as a disconnect between Varese and its audience. You have to spend money to make money, and we can't compel them to invest in cleaning up their old assets for re-release or expansion because at the moment, they don't have to. And the fact they don't seem to care is sad.

Are Jaws 2 and Dracula in print? No, their old CDs are long out of print. This means they don't represent current revenue streams for Varese. Varese makes money from other albums, in the soundtrack genre as well as others that we don't worry about here.

Those are licensed MCA releases that might have reverted back from Varése - PSYCHO II is from the same deal and Intrada did it. Both cd's are rather easy to get on the secondary market and not outrageously expensive, so i guess that revenue stream might not really amount to much more than the odd JWFanner filling a gap in his/her collection. Business-wise it makes more sense to release the complete scores so that everyone has to buy or re-buy it but as we learned with DRACULA, that's where the hassles start. So i think at least 4 or 5 companies have looked hard into the matter for the last 10 years but it just wasn't possible for various reasons, not because Varése was selfish.

Both cd's are rather easy to get on the secondary market and not outrageously expensive

Maybe we disagree on what is outrageous, but a copy of Jaws 2 rarely goes for less than $70. The cheapest one on Amazon at the moment is $95.

And unfortunately, neither John Williams nor the putzes at Varese will see a dime of that $70 or $95, making the download of the music a victimless crime. Anyone who *needs* the plastic disc on their shelf, you're welcome to it.

Well, MV of LLL seems to think Varese will release a lot of long-wanted catalog titles by year's end

Something tells me by years end alot of you naysayers are gonna be eating crow about Varese and their output...singing praises and shouting Hallelujah, praise be Bob!

Btw I think this is a very cool release. A unique release for sure. Just wished they did this in 2012 to celebrate 1962 and 1982!!!!

:)

MV

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=109566&forumID=1&archive=0

Hopefully he's right!

In other news

We've received numerous requests asking if the BACK IN TIME...1985 AT THE MOVIES 6-CD box set will be available by itself at a later date, and the answer is yes! Stay tuned...

https://www.facebook.com/varesesarabanderecords/photos/a.207302096128750.1073741832.190580891134204/389621207896837/?type=1&theater

That's nice, but a separate release of JUST Disc 1 would be nicer....

Did anybody else just get a newsletter from Varese in their email? It was pretty pointless - all it does it tell me about their upcoming releases that they've already had on their site for a while.

But the interesting part was that it was addressed to me, but CCed to someone else - I assume another person on their email list.

Hopefully my email address wasn't CCed on another person's newsletter!

But the interesting part was that it was addressed to me, but CCed to someone else - I assume another person on their email list.

The "other person" is Jeff Safran, right? He works at Varèse, so he probably CCed himself :)

Yes - that is the person. I was concerned because it was an "@gmail.com" address, not an "@varesesarabande.com" email address.

Phew - nothing to worry about, then!

Looks like an announcement that they are going to be re-issuing long OOP vinyl OSTs on CD to me - who knows if expanded or not, though.

Here's a list someone on FSM grabbed from the Varese wiki page of vinyl titles they haven't put on CD yet

STV 81117 Blood And Sand - Alfred Newman / Blood for Dracula - Claudio Gizzi / Golden Earrings - Victor Young

STV 81118 Magnificent Obsession - Frank Skinner

STV 81122 It Started In Naples - Alessandro Cicognini, Carlo Savina

STV 81128 Knights Of The Round Table - Miklós Rózsa

STV 81129 Meetings With Remarkable Men - Thomas de Hartmann

STV 81131 Bloodline - Ennio Morricone

STV 81137 Prince Of The City - Paul Chihara

STV 81149 Enola Gay: The Men, The Mission, The Atomic Bomb - Maurice Jarre

STV 81154 Swamp Thing - Harry Manfredini

STV 81156 Blood for Dracula - Claudio Gizzi

STV 81157 Flesh For Frankenstein - Claudio Gizzi

STV 81159 The Twelve Chairs - John Morris

STV 81162 The Burning - Rick Wakeman

STV 81163 Slapstick (Of Another Kind) - Morton Stevens, Michel Legrand

STV 81164 Eating Raoul - Arlon Ober

STV 81172 10 To Midnight - Robert O. Ragland

STV 81175 La Notte Di San Lorenzo - Nicola Piovani

STV 81181 Liquid Sky - Slava Tsukerman

STV 81186 Young Warriors - Robert J. Walsh

STV 81188 Who Dares Wins - Roy Budd

STV 81189 Invitation au Voyage - Gabriel Yared

STV 81190 Il Gattopardo - Nino Rota

STV 81193 A Minor Miracle - Rick Patterson

STV 81194 Heat And Dust - Richard Robbins, Zakir Hussan

STV 81195 Revenge Of The Ninja - Robert J. Walsh, W. Michael Lewis, Laurin Rinder

STV 81198 The Osterman Weekend - Lalo Schifrin

STV 81202 Blind Date - Stanley Myers

STV 81210 Blame It On Rio - Kenneth Wannberg

STV 81211 Sahara - Ennio Morricone

STV 81212 Roy Rogers And The Sons Of The Pioneers - Various Artists

STV 81213 Oltre La Porta - Pino Donaggio

STV 81217 Berlin Alexanderplatz - Peer Raben

STV 81220 Cousteau - Amazon Part 1 The River - John Scott

STV 81222 The Fourth Man - Loek Dikker

STV 81224 Swann In Love - Hans Werner Henze / Verlorene Ehre Der Katharina Blum Oder: Wie Gewalt Entstehen Und Wohin Sie Führen Kann, Die -

STV 81227 La Pirate - Philippe Sarde / Dimanche à La Campagne, Un - Louis Ducreux, Marc Perrone

STV 81229 Places In The Heart - John Kander

STV 81230 Phar Lap - Bruce Rowland

STV 81232 The Flamingo Kid - Curt Sobel

STV 81239 Certain Fury - George Masenburg, Russell Kunkel, Bill Payne

STV 81242 The Company Of Wolves - George Fenton

STV 81243 The Gods Must Be Crazy - John Bosshoff

STV 81245 Christopher Columbus - Riz Ortolan

STV 81247 Just The Way You Are - Vladimir Cosma / Wetherby - Nick Bicât

STV 81250 Music of the Republic Studios - William Lava, Cy Feuer, Paul Sawtell

STV 81251 Dance With A Stranger - Richard Hartley

STV 81255 Ediths Tagebuch - Jürgen Knieper

STV 81258 Paroles Et Musique - Michel Legrand

STV 81259 The Red Pony - Aaron Copland

STV 81262 Zone Troopers - Richard Band / The Alchemist - Richard Band

STV 81265 Marie - Francis Lai

STV 81266 Year Of The Dragon - David Mansfield

STV 81273 Lord Mountbatten: The Last Viceroy - John Scott

STV 81277 Ginger E Fred - Nicola Piovani

STV 81278 April Fool's Day - Charles Bernstein

STV 81279 Crawlspace - Pino Donaggio

STV 81281 The Ewok Adventure - Peter Bernstein

STV 81281 Ewoks: The Battle For Endor -

STV 81300 52 Pick-Up - Gary Chang

STV 81301 Let's Get Harry - Brad Fiedel

STV 81303 Firewalker - Gary Chang

STV 81305 Down Twisted - Eric Allaman

STV 81307 The Bedroom Window - Michael Shrieve, Patrick Gleeson

STV 81309 From The Hip - Paul Zaza

STV 81310 Death Before Dishonor - Brian May

STV 81315 The Whistle Blower - John Scott

STV 81317 Good Morning, Babylon - Nicola Piovani

STV 81319 Three For The Road - Barry Goldberg

STV 81321 Capriccio - Riz Ortolani

STV 81327 Giulia E Giulia - Maurice Jarre

STV 81329 Hope And Glory - Peter Martin

STV 81331 The Penitent - Alex North

STV 81334 No Way Out - Maurice Jarre

STV 81336 Nowhere To Hide - Brad Fiedel

STV 81353 Anna - Greg Hawkes

STV 81355 Sister, Sister - Richard Einhorn

STV 81360 Noble House - Paul Chihara

STV 81361 Prison - Richard Band, Christopher L. Stone

Also, that's a lot of LPs to distract them from expanding their 90s output.

MV's comment is encouraging, although I hope that Townson's older comments about not everything needing an expansion refers mainly to full existing CDs. Suggesting that we should be happy with a 30-minute release is downright condescending.

Suggesting that we should be happy with a 30-minute release is downright condescending.

It is what the composers wanted, no less, no more!