The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

And the new batch is:

Mark McKenzie - DragonHeart 3: The Sorceror's Curse (300 autographed copies)

Dario Marianelli - Third Person (1,000 copies)

Nathan Barr - Hemlock Grove (Season 2) (1,000 copies)

Jeff Beal - The Dovekeepers (100 autographed copies)

Various - Fimucité 6 (3,000 copies)

My prayers have been answered! These were holy grails I've been clamoring for for ages!

In the description for the Fimucité release, it says:

Our Dracula is a special concert version, with revisions made by John Williams himself!

Is this the usual concert version, with a ridiculous attempt at hype by Townson and co, or is it indeed something new?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

11958156_436318773227080_128043687051573One…Two (Days)…Freddy’s coming for you..

https://www.facebook.com/varesesarabanderecords/photos/a.207302096128750.1073741832.190580891134204/436318773227080/

NEW LIMITED EDITIONS COMING!

A quartet of new Varèse Sarabande Limited Editions will be announced on Monday, September 21.

https://www.facebook.com/robert.townson.16/posts/1629442650651929

I wonder if The Seventh Son and/or The Monkey King will be among them.

From Bloody Disgusting:

Varèse Sarabande has announced that on October 16th, they will be releasing an 8-disc box set featuring the soundtracks to all of the films in the A Nightmare on Elm Street series, including Freddy vs Jason! This box set, which is limited to 2000 copies, will feature almost 3 hours of expanded bonus tracks and features brand new artwork from Shawn Conn. The original covers will be inside the actual box, so purists can remain happy!

The composers included in this release are Charles Bernstein, Christopher Young, Angelo Badalamenti, Craig Safan, Jay Ferguson, Brian May, J. Peter Robinson and Graeme Revell.

A very cool addition to this collection is the music of the video game featured in Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare as well as the theme from Harry Manfredini’s Friday the 13th, which was heard in Freddy vs Jason and was performed by Machine Head.

Also, as you can see in the images below, the set comes complete with the trademark knitted Freddy sweater encasing the outer box! This truly is a piece of horror memorabilia that any Freddy fan would be proud to place on their shelf!

Pre-orders for the set open up tomorrow at www.varesesarabande.com.

varesenightmare1.jpgvaresenightmare2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Next Monday! October 12, 2015 ... new CD Club titles! A batch of three, just like the old days. :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1635927896670071&set=a.1383486185247578.1073741834.100007586280737

My hopes:

John Williams - Dracula, Earthquake, or The Eiger Sanction (straight re-issues or expansions, either way)

Jerry Goldsmith - Air Force One (2CD Complete) or Small Soldiers (Complete)

Basil Poledouris - Starship Troopers (2CD Complete) or Robocop 3 (Complete)

Alan Silvestri - Back To The Future III (Complete) or Volcano (Complete)

James Newton Howard - The Sixth Sense (Complete)

Don Davis - The Matrix (Complete)

There doesn't seem to be anything on D2 Mastering this time....

That'd be a Limited Edition release, not a Club release, and its been posted by some bigwig that there are rights issues preventing it from ever being released (or at least for the time being) due to the Chinese company that owns the rights not wanting to license it, or something like that.

The last batch gives me hope that more 90s titles are on their way. It'd be nice if they're not trying to coincide with anniversaries all the time though.

Plus I'm patiently (sort of) waiting for someone to come out with Ghostbusters 2.

Well, it seems that one of the three titles is likely Chain Reaction by Jerry Goldsmith - I never noticed, but apparently it was briefly listed on d2 mastering's webpage, before being taken down. See here:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=81414&forumID=1&archive=0

And another one of the titles is likely BTTF3, since Roger F of Intrada just posted that BTTF1 and BTTF2 are coming from them on Monday.

I really hope the third title is Starship Troopers!

The last batch gives me hope that more 90s titles are on their way. It'd be nice if they're not trying to coincide with anniversaries all the time though.

Plus I'm patiently (sort of) waiting for someone to come out with Ghostbusters 2.

Count me in for GB 2. It's tremendous fun music in the film. Those little heroic moments really add to the underrated sequel IMO.

If it's Chain Reaction, seems that Jerry chose all the wrong cues for the 96 album, that it's much more exciting than what we got. He must've been under the weather that day.

If it's Chain Reaction, seems that Jerry chose all the wrong cues for the 96 album, that it's much more exciting than what we got. He must've been under the weather that day.

Haven't listened to the recording sessions?

Where is Jay when you need him?

BackToTheFuture3Deluxe_grande.jpg?v=1444

BACK TO THE FUTURE Part III: The Deluxe Edition
Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Music Composed and Conducted by Alan Silvestri

Everybody has been waiting for this one! And now’s the time! We’re just nine days away from Back to the Future Day on October 21 and we are thrilled to announce our 2-CD 25th Anniversary Edition of Alan Silvestri’s rousing western finale to the Back To The Future Trilogy … Back To The Future Part III: The Deluxe Edition is here!

They've saved the biggest trip for last as the most popular time-traveling movie trilogy ever comes to a rousing conclusion in Back to the Future Part III! Stranded in 1955 after a freak accident, Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) discovers he must travel back to 1885 to rescue Doc Brown (Christopher Lloyd) before he becomes smitten with school teacher Clara Clayton (Mary Steenburgen). Now, it's up to Marty to keep Doc out of trouble, get the DeLorean running, and put the past, present and future on track so they can all get back to where - and when - they belong. From the Academy Award-winning filmmakers Steven Spielberg and Robert Zemeckis, Back to the Future Part III is a spectacular grand finale to the timeless blockbuster series.

The epic conclusion of the Back to the Future saga is now complete!

CDs will begin shipping the week of October 26.

Limited Edition of 5000 copies

Disc 1 (Total Time: 60:41)

THE FILM SCORE:

1. Back To Back / Court House (1:25)
2. Main Title (2:43)
3. Into The Mine / Tombstone / It’s Me (3:18)
4. Warmed Up (1:30)
5. Indians (Film Version) (1:10)
6. Safe And Sound (:42)
7. Hill Valley (2:20)
8. The Hanging (1:42)
9. We’re Out Of Gas (1:17)
10. There Is No Bridge / Doc To The Rescue (1:26)
11. At First Sight (3:17)
12. Yellow (:47)
13. The Kiss (1:57)
14. You Talkin’ To Me? (:36)
15. The Future Isn’t Written (3:36)
16. Goodbye Clara (3:02)
17. What’s Up Doc / Marty Gallops / To The Future (1:45)
18. Wake Up Juice (1:12)
19. Callin’ You Out / Count Off (1:59)
20. The Showdown / The Kick (2:13)
21. A Science Experiment (The Train - Part I) (3:11)
22. It’s Clara (The Train - Part II) (4:36)
23. Point Of No Return (The Train - Part III) (3:49)
24. It’s Destroyed / Back To The Girlfriend / It Erased (3:41)
25. Doc Returns (2:52) 26. End Credits (4:01)

Disc 2 (Total Time: 48:39)

ALTERNATES:

1. Back To Back / Court House (Alternate) (:33)
2. I’m Back / Main Title (Alternate) (2:49)
3. Into The Mine /
Tombstone (Alternate) (3:19)
4. Warmed Up (Alternate) (1:47)
5. Indians (Alternate) (1:20)
6. The Hanging (Alternate) (1:44)
7. Goodbye Clara (Alternate Segment) (:52)
8. Count Off (Alternate) (1:30)
9. The Kick (Alternate) (:44)
10. Doc Returns (Alternate) (2:40)

SOURCE MUSIC:

11. Clock Dedication / Battle Cry Of Freedom (1:03)
12. Doubleback (Extended Version) (3:12)
13. Turkey In The Straw (3:00)
14. My Darling Clementine (2:51)
15. Saloon Piano Medley (1:44)
16. Arkansas Traveler (2:49)
17. Devil’s Dream (2:48)
18. Pop Goes The Weasel (2:59)
19. Virginia Reel (Tip-Top) (2:57)

ADDITIONAL MUSIC:

20. I’m Back (Alternate No. 2) (1:07)
21. Into The Mine (Alternate No. 2) (1:53)
22. Indians (Alternate No. 2) (1:11)
23. Doc Returns (Alternate No. 2) (3:02)

ChainReactionDeluxe_grande.jpg?v=1444429

CHAIN REACTION: The Deluxe Edition
Music Composed and Conducted by Jerry Goldsmith

Nobody wrote action music like Jerry Goldsmith. His entire career is filled with scores in each era that saw Jerry truly writing and then rewriting the book when it came to action scoring. Of course, he defined and redefined many more genres than action, but it’s his great rhythmic action writing that gets a workout in this 1996 score for 20th Century Fox’s Chain Reaction. For one, the cue Ice Chase is very clearly an “it could only be Jerry” kind of cue. More than doubling the length of the original soundtrack release, we are thrilled to present this greatly expanded Deluxe Edition of Jerry Goldsmith’s Chain Reaction.

Chain Reaction (1996) was directed by Andrew Davis and stars Keanu Reeves, Morgan Freeman, Rachel Weisz, Fred Ward, Kevin Dunn and Brian Cox. Two members of an advanced energy experiment--a clever machinist and ambitious female physicist--become fugitives from government operatives who've framed them for murder and the bombing of their lab as part of a concerted effort to bury their project's promising energy research.

Limited Edition of 3000 copies.

1. Meet Eddie (4:53)
2. Open Minds (2:47)
3. Invaders (1:04)
4. Too Late (2:28)
5. Aftermath (1:12)
6. Questions (1:45)
7. Can’t Stay (1:44)
8. Visitors /The Meeting (4:25)
9. Be Safe (5:52)
10. A Song / The Observatory (2:40)
11. Getting There / C Systems (4:15)
12. Ice Chase (5:52)
13. The Old House (2:50)
14. Assassins (5:44)
15. The Museum (4:01)
16. Sardines And Crackers (1:05)
17. Lily And Chen / Eddie (1:29)
18. The Number / Deeper In (2:19)
19. No Solution (2:48)
20. My Job / The Deal (1:42)
21. Well Done (2:02)
22. System Down (2:28)
23. On Your Way (1:50)
24. Inside The Plant (2:01)
25. Open Door (Extended) (3:18)
26. Out Of The Hole (3:35)

WhereTheRiverRunsBlackEncore_grande.jpg?

WHERE THE RIVER RUNS BLACK (Varèse Encore)
Music Composed by James Horner

James Horner's early, mystical and exotic score for director Christopher Cain's Where The River Runs Black caught many an ear when it was released. Horner had scored Cain’s earlier film The Stone Boy in 1984 and returned with an exceptionally sophisticated, largely electronic score for this story of an orphaned boy who was raised in the Amazon jungle. The boy is brought back to civilization by a priest who knew his father.

The score has been out of print for nearly 30 years. Sadly, its newly remastered return in our Encore series comes just a few short months following James Horner’s sudden and tragic passing. The film music world remains in shock over this. James’ music, however, will always be with us and this album is such a great reminder. For a generation that may be completely unfamiliar with this score, we are happy to re-introduce this truly beautiful, and very obscure Horner gem.

Limited Edition of 2000 copies.

1. Where The River Runs Black (4:41)
2. Underwater Ballet (3:09)
3. Serra Pelada (2:48)
4. Alone (3:43)
5. The Orphanage (3:22)
6. The Dolphins (2:27)
7. Baptism (4:34)
8. Down River (5:54)
9. Magic Kitchen (2:01)
10. Discovered At The Mine (3:53)
11. The City (1:13)
12. The Assassin (1:52)
13. End Title (5:32)

I have select parts of the (good) synth Horner, i'll get the Goldsmith out of sheer fan insanity, i never found any Silvestri remotely worth the running time of the original release let alone a double disc set.

So the Horner's worth it? I've never heard one note of it.

Chain Reaction's apparently missing some essential action music on the previous release, so I'd be willing to get this because it's Jerry and he hardly disappoints.

BTTF III, well it'll be the first time I own it legally, so yeah I'm getting it. It's almost as good as the first.