The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

The River was an MCA LP, later issued onto CD by Varese in the 90s, just like Earthquake or Eiger Sanction, or Conan The Destroyer or whatever else.

Nothing unusual or complicated about this.

Universal Pictures has been licensing their scores to all the labels.  Heck, Mike has been hired by Universal Pictures to go through their catalog and get titles out on various labels as The Heritage Collection (Child's Play 2 was just announced today).  It seems likely that The River will come out expanded at some point, there's just no way to know which specialty label it would be from ahead of time.

I have the Varese CD but barely listen to it, I would LOVE a new expanded edition as a catalyst to re-discover the scores.

That's what happened with Stanley & Iris and The Cowboys, I rarely listened to those scores before, now I love em!

And I don't have it.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

A Cowboys suite that's different from the recorded one?

No, I think it was already on one compilation.

Karol

It's better than Stepmom.

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

And I don't have it.

No, I think it was already on one compilation.

Karol

Just buy By Request then. The suite is much better than the complete score.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

The Cowboys is really good. But the Tanglewood concert makes me want to have that suite as well.

Karol

If you don’t have this album, I highly recommend it. It has the Cowboys suite.

A31D842C-BE1D-495C-8F76-89D6FDD21EA6.jpeg

I was hoping Philips would issue a box set of his run with them like Sony did for their run, but alas, I doubt that will ever happen, or that they'll ever get remastered.  Pity

They actually had it at the Tanglewood gift shop but I looked it up on Amazon UK and it's even cheaper there. I might just pick up a used copy for £1.

Karol

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I was hoping Philips would issue a box set of his run with them like Sony did for their run, but alas, I doubt that will ever happen, or that they'll ever get remastered.  Pity

That’s the 2nd oldest cd I have in my collection. I’ve have it for almost 32 years.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Same here, but I decided instead to procure them 2nd hand for cheap from eBay and Amazon.  There were some stinker releases that I most likely will never listen to again but there were some really good ones as well!

They actually had it at the Tanglewood gift shop but I looked it up on Amazon UK and it's even cheaper there. I might just pick up a used copy for £1.

I told you to get it, but you wouldn't listen to me. ;)

It's essential for the Cowboys overture and the Liberty Fanfare.

12 hours ago, Jay said:

The River was an MCA LP, later issued onto CD by Varese in the 90s, just like Earthquake or Eiger Sanction, or Conan The Destroyer or whatever else.

Nothing unusual or complicated about this.

Nothing complicated about people thinking it's Varese, either, since the CD is from Varese.  You should really try to talk down to people less often.

I suppose the horse can be a stand-in for any western title, and the UFO can be a stand-in for any film about aliens or sci-fi in general.  But yea, the middle one's gotta be Air Force One!

Horse?

Oh, I would love an expanded edition of Thomas Newman's The Horse Whisperer, it's one of my favorite scores of his... Though, since I haven't watched the movie, I don't know if there's much unreleased stuff.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's a Touchstone (Disney) film that had an OST on Hollywood Records, so it's Intrada territory, not Varese

I was just joking, but thanks for the info anyway.

Still, I'm not so sure if we would get this wonderful score expanded... So far, the only Thomas Newman expansion I've seen is Shawshank Redemption. I've not seen no label tackle his classic scores from the 1990s, like Horse Whisperer, Little Women, Oscar and Lucinda, Meet Joe Black, The Green Mile... I'm not sure if this is because they think it would sell poorly, or because of an actual disinterest by Newman, or what have you.

Yeah - Newman tends to include most of the score because of all of the shorter cues that other composers would omit. He's the opposite of JW/Zimmer.

Shawshank has about 15-20 mins of unreleased music and that's on the higher end. I suspect most of his early 00s albums have fairly little missing.

There have occasionally been scores where I'd like the odd extra cue here or there (Road to Perdition comes to mind), but a full-on expansion never seems necessary. Even with Shawshank, I made my own 45 minute OST.

On 9/24/2019 at 9:59 PM, Brundlefly said:

Hoping for: Air Force One and The Matrix - whatever the other title(s) would be doesn't matter, it would already exceed the two batches from 2018.

...The year that brought us Dracula: The Deluxe Edition, The Cowboys: The Deluxe Edition, Small Soldiers: The Deluxe Edition (I love this score more than AFO now), and On Dangerous Ground: The Deluxe Edition??

Yavar

21 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

If you’re going to pirate it anyway it’s already been out there in complete and good sounding form for some time now...

Yavar

If I were able to buy the actual CD I would so don't judge me.

The T. Newman expansion I desire the most is Little Women, which MV expresses interest in doing on the FSM board...my favorite Newman score and there’s good music unreleased...

15 minutes ago, Trent B said:

If I were able to buy the actual CD I would so don't judge me.

I’m not. It’s not as if I’ve never downloaded anything. I was merely pointing out that there’s no need to wait for Varese when the complete work of Goldsmith, McNeely, and Newman has been released unofficially but in great sound, already...

The reason I’m excited for AFO is that I’ll be able to actually own an official physical copy with liner notes. But the score’s already “out there” in great sound for those inclined to look...

Yavar

10 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I thought we could openly discuss bootlegs?

Jay is referring to Trent's comment about getting a rip of the Varese release if it is AFO because he cannot a afford to buy it.