The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes, unfortunately for expansions, he was rather closely associated with them for a run of films in the 90s.

All WB:

Demolition Man

Interview with the Vampire

Cobb

Batman Forever

Heat

Michael Collins

A Time to Kill

The Butcher Boy

Batman & Robin

Sphere

I have a suspicion that since Heat is a Fox title now, it may be eligible for expansion

4 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

I have a suspicion that since Heat is a Fox title now, it may be eligible for expansion

Oddly JFK is still a WB movie, the blu-ray was distributed by Fox in Australia. I'm still not clear on what happened there.

• 1 month later...

Just got this email for VS BF sale!

101c20a3-2984-46d5-bd60-62c0594837a9.png

Black Friday Sale!

4eaa1bab-efd8-462d-85f7-477473ce714c.jpg
Save big from the 27th of November through the 1st of December with two special Black Friday offers.  Spend $50 in the store to receive 15% off by using the discount code BF15 during the checkout process.  Spend $100 in the store and the discount jumps to 20% off by using the discount code BF20.   Good only on in-stock product.  Some recent CD Club titles and The Nightmare on Elm Street box set are excluded.
SHOP NOW

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 4:39 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

Correct, and they've had one so far. Two batches in four months will be more concentrated than normal for Varese, but I hope they pull it off. Hopefully one in the next month or two tops, and then a December batch for Christmas?

Yavar

Any other updates on another batch for 2019?  Looking at @Jay's comprehensive post here they have done December releases in years past (as late as Dec. 12th in 2017).

• 1 month later...

Nice!  Maybe a 30th anniversary release for Presumed Innocent?  Unsure what is unreleased, but there's gotta be more than what was on the OST (~45 min if my math is correct).

8 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I wouldn’t say that—why?

It was more of a joke, but Varese really has a fast pace throwing Goldsmith releases at us, while Intrada has considerably slowed down for the last year.

11 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

It was more of a joke, but Varese really has a fast pace throwing Goldsmith releases at us, while Intrada has considerably slowed down for the last year.

image.gif

I think you guys are going to be surprised by Intrada this coming year. ;)

11 hours ago, publicist said:

Because there's just nothing left.

yes there is. :)

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Then they'll have to start over. It's time for a new release of The Final Conflict!

Yeah it’s insane that this is the one Goldsmith Omen score not to get a complete release yet, when it is largely regarded as the greatest of the three!

10 hours ago, publicist said:

'Not without my Daughter' still lacks that 20-second tv teaser bumper!

I know you jest, but there actually is a Not Without My Daughter unreleased cue whose inclusion would prompt me to re-buy the score (the best cue of it being unreleased):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/996won8iqu3uv1h/Number 6.mp3?dl=0

Roger actually shared it in this Intrada thread:

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8073

Actually finding this thread again reminded me just how badly we need the Under Fire complete tapes to be found...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9vq6fajj3xwzr1p/Number 5.mp3?dl=0

I mean, DAMN but I need that unreleased action music.

Yavar

6 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Yeah it’s insane that this is the one Goldsmith Omen score not to get a complete release yet, when it is largely regarded as the greatest of the three!

Does Varese hold perpituity rights for that one?

There's seems to be a handful of soundtracks that seem to be missing one cool cue that if they had just included it, the album wouldn't have needed an expansion.

That is so true. Under Fire, The Terminal and The Mission come to mind.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Does Varese hold perpituity rights for that one?

Nope. Leviathan and Lionheart are also confirmed not to be owned by them.

10 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I know you jest, but there actually is a Not Without My Daughter unreleased cue whose inclusion would prompt me to re-buy the score

Yavar, you are really beyond satire sometimes...:rolleyes:

During the scene when Robert DeNiro starts crying, there is a unique string build-up to the oboe theme that is played one octave lower this time. It is a wonderful very touching but very subtle cue, that is the only thing I miss on the almost-sufficient album.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What's missing from that?

The first cue that differs noticably from the rest of the score. A minimalistic, depressing string cue that reminds you of Cybertronics from Artificial Intelligence.

4 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

The first cue that differs noticably from the rest of the score. A minimalistic, depressing string cue that reminds you of Cybertronics from Artificial Intelligence.

Just listen to that then.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Dolores Claiborne is a great Elfman score

It is really good. Certainly a nice surprise. I was expecting U.S Marshals or some other middling 90's Goldsmith but we're actually getting something worthy. :)

Karol

35 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It is really good. Certainly a nice surprise. I was expecting U.S Marshals or some other middling 90's Goldsmith but we're actually getting something worthy. :)

I'm a bad, bad Goldsmith fan -- I too think Elfman's Dolores Claiborne is a superior score to Goldsmith's U.S. Marshals, though I have indeed been interested in re-assessing the latter score in complete form. At least we know it's still coming!

Yavar

3 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I'm a bad, bad Goldsmith fan -- I too think Elfman's Dolores Claiborne is a superior score to Goldsmith's U.S. Marshals, though I have indeed been interested in re-assessing the latter score in complete form. At least we know it's still coming!

Yavar

I'll get the Goldsmith too, of course. But it's not the score I would call essential. But yes, let's wait and see whether the expanded album will change my mind.

Karol

41 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I'll get the Goldsmith too, of course. But it's not the score I would call essential. But yes, let's wait and see whether the expanded album will change my mind.

I will say that the Varese expansion of Chain Reaction was terrific and hugely improved my opinion of that score (as is typical with Goldsmith expansions, to be honest...)

Yavar

3 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I will say that the Varese expansion of Chain Reaction was terrific and hugely improved my opinion of that score (as is typical with Goldsmith expansions, to be honest...)

The Deluxe Edition of Air Force One didn't do that for me.