The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

The Deluxe Edition of Air Force One didn't do that for me.

I think AFO is a rare Goldsmith score like Star Trek: Nemesis where neither the original album nor the complete score are ideal, but an excellent program can be edited out of the complete score. But I’m already on record for saying I don’t love AFO as much as everyone else seems to, and my favorite music in the score is mostly by Joel McNeely. :) 

Yavar

19 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I think AFO is a rare Goldsmith score like Star Trek: Nemesis where neither the original album nor the complete score are ideal, but an excellent program can be edited out of the complete score. But I’m already on record for saying I don’t love AFO as much as everyone else seems to, and my favorite music in the score is mostly by Joel McNeely. :) 

I’m with you there. AFO is actually a purchase I kind of regret making because there isn’t much on there that I care for. I should have put that $36 toward filling some catalog gaps in my collection from the reseller market.

Nothing about a return of Masters Film Music, alas... maybe if Robert doesn’t feel like tackling them himself he could/would license Lionheart and The Final Conflict our to others for new definitive editions to be produced...

Yavar

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Robert Townson is the most prolific producer of film music in the world.

:lol:

I'd believe he's beaten by James Fitzpatrick with his monstrous Silva Screen output.

• 2 months later...

I would be happy with a remastered and expanded Presumed Innocent.  I saw the movie long ago just once so don't remember much of it.  I've got the OST but unsure of how much music wasn't included?

Literally any label can do those, Thor. Varese only puts out a handful of Club titles every year. Don’t begrudge the rest of us our few expansions which only the Varese Club can do because the label holds rights in perpetuity.

Yavar

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

A complete BRAINSTORM, with all source music, the original score, and the remastered L.S.O. rerecording, would be a dream come true!

This is Varese we're talking about -- they'd probably drop the album recording entirely.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

Please, no expanded/C&C/"Deluxe" (sic.) releases!

Crossing fingers and toes for a premiere release of something, preferably a score and composer I connect to.

It's one thing to wish for something you want, it's quite another to wish that the rest of us don't get what we want. That's just douchey.

14 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

It's one thing to wish for something you want, it's quite another to wish that the rest of us don't get what we want. That's just douchey.

Quite the contrary. You guys have been getting basically nothing but expansions in the last decade or so. Premiere releases are few and far between. It's time people in my camp get some interesting new archival releases too.

18 minutes ago, Thor said:

Quite the contrary. You guys have been getting basically nothing but expansions in the last decade or so. Premiere releases are few and far between. It's time people in my camp get some interesting new archival releases too.

Except for the fact that most of us would buy the premier releases as well.  I'm sure if folks pooh-pooh'd premier releases you would take some offense to that, no?

34 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

This is the guy who was sad when a rare interview got into wider circles because it wasn't his little ultrarare secret baby from the 90s anymore.

6 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Except for the fact that most of us would buy the premier releases as well.  I'm sure if folks pooh-pooh'd premier releases you would take some offense to that, no?

Not at all. We have the preferences that we do. I prefer premiere releases (preferably also arranged for listening, but I don't expect that from Varese) over expansions, and hence it is only natural that I want a premiere release and NOT an expansion.

4 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

But Thor: there is no reason premieres have to come from the Varese Club, or even Varese at all.

Sure, but I don't see what that has to do with anything. This thread was about an upcoming Varese batch, so why would I be talking about releases from other labels? Let's keep the wishes from other labels to threads about releases from other labels. Varese has released premieres in the past, and will hopefully do so again. They're good at archival releases, and I always look forward to them, hoping for something up my alley. I still remember with fondness the great day Varese (finally!) premiered HEARTBEEPS back in the early 2000s. Or THE LONG GOODBYE. Just to mention a couple of Williams titles.

I honestly don't see what the problem is. Again: I prefer premiere releases, and I hate expanded releases. Hence I wish this will be a premiere release and not an expanded release. Perfectly natural, and not farfetched. It's not like Varese has issued a press statement that they will never be releasing premieres again (that I'm aware of anyway).

Finally, what business is it to anyone else what I wish for or don't wish for? You guys can have your wishes, and I have mine.

The problem is this: a bunch of 90s scores that only Varese can expand. They only have so many slots to do that.

All of the other labels (Intrada/LLL, and all the smaller ones) can do premieres to their heart's content, and unless I'm mistaken, I'm seeing them a lot from Intrada.

So if Varese just does premieres for the next 5 years, you're happy, but virtually no one else is. If they do mostly expansions for the next 5 years, you still get premieres from the other labels, and we get some 30-minuters rectified.

Not quite sure about your logic there, Richard. 90% of what LaLaLand does, for example, are expansions. There are a couple of smaller labels that I truly cherish, that do premieres/A&A (arranged and abbreviated) albums on a regular basis, like Moviescore Media and Caldera, but they belong to the exceptions - and rarely have the opportunity to do premieres of the big names. The majority of archival releases these days, from Varese and others, are expansions. Premieres are much rarer. So I'd say it's pretty justified for people in my camp to wish for more premieres and less expansions. I'm not saying exclusively that, but more, to even it out a bit.

On 3/25/2020 at 8:15 PM, Thor said:

You may have an old, unreleased HanZ score. :P

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You may have an old, unreleased HanZ score. :P

Would be a neat with HanS premiere, but I doubt we're going to see if from Varese.

9 hours ago, Thor said:

Not quite sure about your logic there, Richard. 90% of what LaLaLand does, for example, are expansions. There are a couple of smaller labels that I truly cherish, that do premieres/A&A (arranged and abbreviated) albums on a regular basis, like Moviescore Media and Caldera, but they belong to the exceptions - and rarely have the opportunity to do premieres of the big names. The majority of archival releases these days, from Varese and others, are expansions. Premieres are much rarer. So I'd say it's pretty justified for people in my camp to wish for more premieres and less expansions. I'm not saying exclusively that, but more, to even it out a bit.

His logic's pretty sound. Say you're right about LLL, even if your figure seems a little high to me -- that still means that 10% of their releases are premieres. And I recently outlined how well *over half* of Intrada's releases for the past half a year were premieres (or practically so). And some of their other releases have been straight album reissues (like their recent The Collector/David & Lisa twofer) which also don't bother you. So why are you acting like Richard's logic is faulty when he specifically said "I'm seeing them [premieres] a lot from Intrada", and then you proceed to ignore Intrada entirely in your reply?

So let's see...there's Intrada, Caldera, MovieScore Media doing plenty of premieres. Varese too if you look outside their occasional Club titles (many of which have been reissues this past year). LLL and Quartet and Music Box and Kritzerland do some premieres but not as many as you would like, presumably? But I think it's safe to say that between all of them we still get at least two or three dozen film music premiere albums each year.

Now please answer me these questions honestly: how many *premiere* releases of film scores did you buy last year from the labels, including the two you mentioned? Do you still buy any premiere releases from Intrada or LLL when they release them? What were the last five you bought? When was the last time you purchased a film music CD by a composer other than Williams, Elfman, or Goldenthal, for that matter?

And you know my follow up question is this: so aren't most of the premiere releases the labels go to the trouble of putting out effectively just as ignored by (and useless to) you as the handful of Varese expansions we get every year, and you regularly complain about? I submit that this has entirely become a tiresome repetitive philosophical exercise for you, rather than you actually being affected much in any way (in terms of your actual purchases) by what the film music specialty labels produce. You have said over and over that you only will spend money on a CD if it is a premiere and if it is by Williams, Elfman, or Goldenthal...with an occasional other title you express interest in because you have some personal connection to the score or film, but even with those you often just seem to say, "I *might* pick this up some time" -- I usually only see a definite commitment to purchase from you when it's a premiere release from one of the three composers you consider yourself a completist of. Now tell me I'm wrong.

Yavar

33 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

His logic's pretty sound. Say you're right about LLL, even if your figure seems a little high to me -- that still means that 10% of their releases are premieres. And I recently outlined how well *over half* of Intrada's releases for the past half a year were premieres (or practically so). And some of their other releases have been straight album reissues (like their recent The Collector/David & Lisa twofer) which also don't bother you. So why are you acting like Richard's logic is faulty when he specifically said "I'm seeing them [premieres] a lot from Intrada", and then you proceed to ignore Intrada entirely in your reply?

Because ultimately this is a Varese thread. I really don't know why you keep bringing in other labels (and now you've made me do it as well). My wish is for a premiere release from VARESE, specifically, and in this particular context. I do NOT wish for an expanded release from Varese. Simple as that. My preference, my wish, my choice. You have another one, and that is also fine by me. It's completely absurd to police people's preferences and wishes.

Now please answer me these questions honestly: how many *premiere* releases of film scores did you buy last year from the labels, including the two you mentioned? Do you still buy any premiere releases from Intrada or LLL when they release them? What were the last five you bought? When was the last time you purchased a film music CD by a composer other than Williams, Elfman, or Goldenthal, for that matter?

I don't know what 'purchase' has got to do with anything. I'm first and foremost interested in getting premieres out there (stuff like score-only versions of Faltermeyer's TOP GUN and Moroder's SCARFACE are high on the list, for example, even though I doubt they are Varese-type scores). The acquisition process, i.e. whether I buy them or get promotional, digital versions from the label is really irrelevant.

I just don't get the problem. Everyone is free to wish whatever they want. Some wish for expansions, some wish for both expansions and premieres, and others yet again wish only for premieres, like yours truly. It's just an innocent wish, it's not a decree that is immediately followed by all labels! :D

All of this is a moot point anyway, because we all know that when this batch is announced, they will be expansions.

We would just prefer that they used their more limited resources on handling the scores that they won't let other labels do, rather than doing scores that anyone could do.

My number 1 Varese grail is Dante's Peak. No one else can expand that score, so if they instead released the premiere of some other score which they didn't exclusively own, it feels like resources aren't being used in the best way to get more scores out there quicker.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Because ultimately this is a Varese thread. I really don't know why you keep bringing in other labels (and now you've made me do it as well). My wish is for a premiere release from VARESE in this particular context. I do NOT wish for an expanded release from Varese. Simple as that. My preference, my wish, my choice. You have another one, and that is also fine by me.

Other labels were brought up to make the point that *even if every Varese Club release is an expansion* (and that has never been the case), you still have plenty other sources to get the premieres you crave. There is literally no need for Varese to cater to your premiere-only tastes; your needs are met. On the other hand our needs (yes, they're wants really I know) for Varese to get a move on and expand their many 30 minute (and sub 30 minute) 90s albums before compact discs die as a format... these can only be met by Varese continuing to release expansions you don't care about.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I don't know what 'purchase' has got to do with anything. I'm first and foremost interested in getting premieres out there (stuff like score-only versions of Faltermeyer's TOP GUN and Moroder's SCARFACE are high on the list, for example, even though I doubt they are Varese-type scores). The acquisition process, i.e. whether I buy them or get promotional, digital versions from the label is really irrelevant.

I notice you don't want to answer my question. I think it's because the reality is as I laid it out: whether a label releases a premiere, reissue, or expansion, you're unlikely to buy it unless it's a premiere of a previously-unreleased score by one of your three favorite composers (with maybe a few others like Top Gun thrown in, in addition). So you only care philosophically -- when Varese released the 100% premiere a batch or two ago of Laurence Rosenthal's Rooster Cogburn (don't be confused by them using the Deluxe Edition banner -- it had *never* been released before at all), did you buy it? Were you even tempted? I submit that when Varese recently released a premiere in their Club series, it was just useless to you as when they release an expansion.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I just don't get the problem. Everyone is free to wish whatever they want. Some wish for expansions, some wish for both expansions and premieres, and others yet again wish only for premieres, like yours truly. It's just an innocent wish, it's not a decree that is immediately followed by all labels! :D

All of this is a moot point anyway, because we all know that when this batch is announced, they will be expansions.

How many times has Varese put out a batch that were all expansions, Thor?

Last time they did a small batch and it was one significant expansion (Dolores Claiborne) and one reissue (The Stand -- yes, this was marked as "The Deluxe Edition" but it was a straight reissue of the program from the Stephen King box set from a few years ago... and even then it's your kind of expansion, with the original album preserved on its own disc and an optional second disc with more music).

The time before that, they released one expansion (Air Force One), one reissue (Giacchino's Star Trek), and one premiere (Rooster Cogburn).
The time before that but have been difficult for you: they released two expansions (Robocop 2 and Dracula) and one reissue (Raggedy Man).
And before that, pretty much every Club batch included an Encore title... A Show of Force, Heathers, etc. All straight reissues of the original albums. Hell, their Delerue London Sessions reissue wasn't even an expansion or reissue, but a *contraction* -- it omitted a few tracks that were on the original volumes.

So tell me again how we're swimming in far too many expansions. I for one wish Varese would concentrate on them *exclusively* for the Club (because, once again: only the Club can do them!), but they haven't been so far. Maybe with the elimination of the Encore line that will change, but as I pointed out they've still managed a reissue in every batch so far since then. We only get maybe SIX Varese expansions TOPS in an entire *year*! (When we are lucky, that is. In 2019 do you know how many new expansions Varese released? TWO -- Air Force One and Robocop 2. TWO.) So... you really gonna begrudge us? One expansion every other month (or even every six months) is apparently something you cannot abide, and will complain about Varese concentrating on every time a new batch is announced?

38 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

We would just prefer that they used their more limited resources on handling the scores that they won't let other labels do, rather than doing scores that anyone could do.

My number 1 Varese grail is Dante's Peak. No one else can expand that score, so if they instead released the premiere of some other score which they didn't exclusively own, it feels like resources aren't being used in the best way to get more scores out there quicker.

Exactly. Surely Thor you can understand the clear logic of this.

Yavar

Thor walks into a sushi restaurant and bitches that everyone gets fish here, he hates fish and wants fried chicken, and the solution is for the restaurant to have a chicken only day. "Dude we have fried chicken in the corner of the menu and KFC's on the other street" "No, that's irrelevant, I'm in this place and I'm talking about this place, and me me me me."

Thor walks into a sushi restaurant and bitches that everyone gets fish here, he hates fish and wants fried chicken, and the solution is for the restaurant to have a chicken only day. "Dude we have fried chicken in the corner of the menu and KFC's on the other street" "No, that's irrelevant, I'm in this place and I'm talking about this place, and me me me me."

That analogy would really only work if Varese didn't do premiere releases of stuff, and that is clearly not true. They do, once in a while.

But whatever. I'm done justifying my wish (I repeat: my friggin' WISH!!!) to everyone. This is just absurd.

Let's see what Varese brings out today.

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

That analogy would really only work if Varese didn't do premiere releases of stuff, and that is clearly not true. They do, once in a while.

25 minutes ago, Thor said:

"Dude we have fried chicken in the corner of the menu

I think Williams THE EIGER SANCTION: DE could be a possibility this year from Varese given all the recent Williams 70's era catalogue that has been released such as THE TOWERING INFERNO, POSEIDON and EARTHQUAKE!

I remember reading on FSM forum that EIGER was a sub licensed to Varese. Its possible that license may have expired or may be retaken by Varese like they did for DRACULA DE!

I'm never that excited about these announcements, but the preceding, non-sensical 'discussion' has made me more curious than usual. I see that it's announced at 10 PM EST; which is like 3 in the morning here in Norway. Can't guarantee I'm up.