The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Mike Matessino found them

Source: http://www.jwfan.com/?p=11733

Well, maybe he just said that to impress someone. ;)

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

They were eating up everything he said

I didn't know soundtrack producers have groupies. I'm in the wrong business!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

There was two hot young ladies there he was trying to impress, he told us all that he was the one who found the missing tapes to make the release happen

In true Dracula fashion... ;)  Never thought of using soundtrack-related pick-up lines before ROTFLMAO

Speaking of Dracula, did you guys know that La La Land was initiaily going to release the DE set ??? But Varese got the final gig.

Anyways, I really Hope BRAINSTORM gets released from Varese this year. Its one of my most important Horner scores that is missing from my collection.

1 hour ago, Amer said:

Speaking of Dracula, did you guys know that La La Land was initiaily going to release the DE set ??? But Varese got the final gig.

Yeah I can totally imagine Mike going to Varese, picking the Dracula box up, actually taking a look inside, then just walking off with it to technically their competitors.

Sounds like Townson's departure from Varese will be good for us in the long run.

Even if there have been some issues with the most recent club releases, I'd rather have a team with a hunger to get scores out, than someone who only wants to associate themselves with certain scores.

I wonder whether Townson snapped up all the 90s scores he could back in the day, regardless of whether he thought they were any good, then when times allow for expansions, he tries to distance himself from scores he doesn't like?

8 hours ago, Holko said:

Yeah I can totally imagine Mike going to Varese, picking the Dracula box up, actually taking a look inside, then just walking off with it to technically their competitors.

What are you implying? That this wasnt the case?  Other than that the  deal didnt get through for LLL. 

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, publicist said:

Yeah, we're out of Goldsmiths.

Many Goldsmith fans still want Timeline and Looney Tunes Back In Action I guess

Yeah, it's pretty good.  It's one of those OSTs I never really visited often but have always liked.  Do the expansion/film recordings really add anything over the original album experience?  That's a tougher question for me.

4 minutes ago, Romão said:

Customs were always unforgiving with Varese's shipments

Why shouldn't they be?

"Secondly, we will be launching our annual Spring Cleaning sale on the same day, featuring dozens of titles down to their very last manufactured copies."

Why do these things always happen when I don't have money? Sigh.

1 minute ago, JTWfan77 said:

Why shouldn't they be?

For some reason, they hardly ever charged for shipments from La La Land or Intrada. But with Varesse, it's every single time. Shipment is high enough as it is, I'd rather not have to pay customs fees on top of it

2 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

It's the law. You declare your import value and pay your dues. Like any other taxation.

I don't work at customs. if they charge me, I pay, if they don't, I won't aproach them to pay voluntarily

5 minutes ago, Romão said:

I don't work at customs. if they charge me, I pay, if they don't, I won't aproach them to pay voluntarily

Do you commit other tax fraud as well? ;)

Europeans don't have to complain. At least your currencies haven't devalued by 40% this year alone.

One of these LEs now costs me the equivalent of three week's groceries. I actually dread these announcements nowadays but then breathe a sigh of relief when they are for titles I don't want.

2 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Do you commit other tax fraud as well? ;)

Oh sure, I also smuggle drugs and exotic animals whenever I can...

3 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Europeans don't have to complain. At least your currencies haven't devalued by 40% this year alone.

Stop boasting!

1 minute ago, Romão said:

I also smuggle drugs and exotic animals whenever I can...

From Varese Sarabande?

10 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

One of these LEs now costs me the equivalent of three week's groceries. I actually dread these announcements nowadays but then breathe a sigh of relief when they are for titles I don't want.

Where do you live, by curiosity?

Customs are for protecting the local businesses, tell me which European labels are direct competitors of Varese and are releasing expanded editions of their own of the same scores. It's bullshit. LLL and Intrada are not as expensive because they have a deal with outside reseller stores, they get the stock wholesale for a lower price so they can sell it for a lower price.

9 minutes ago, Romão said:

Where do you live, by curiosity?

South Africa

5 minutes ago, Holko said:

Customs are for protecting the local businesses, tell me which European labels are direct competitors of Varese and are releasing expanded editions of their own of the same scores.

Customs are primarily to fund the fiscus.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Yeah, we're out of Goldsmiths.

Not even close! Love Field has a central action cue (in the film) and a hell of a lot of other music (not in the film or on the original 28 minute album) still unreleased. I think an expansion of that would likely be a revelation.

Speaking of more classic scores, The Other and both Flint scores are *over half unreleased*! Now we do have the Twilight Time isolated score tracks which double the time and give us an idea of all the other wonderful music that hasn't been put out on CD...but all three of these feature film micro-edits and such and even they are not the complete scores.

The Mephisto Waltz is missing at least three cues as well as missing overlays and generally having an inaccurate mix on the previous Varese release. This is a masterpiece that needs a definitive edition.

Medicine Man and City Hall are only missing 12-15 minutes of music, but I love both scores and want every note.
Rudy and The 13th Warrior are generally beloved and even if the ~20 minutes of unreleased music is just more variations on the same material, I think it's still perfectly valid to want them...this is Goldsmith we are talking about, and he almost always did *something* new with each variation.

Hollow Man and Along Came a Spider are not favorites of mine at all but they're missing a lot more music and I know many people do want them.

And even though there are boots of varying quality, we *obviously* need definitive official editions of both Matinee and Looney Tunes: Back in Action (complete with the John Debney finale cues...so that there IS a finale to the score even if it doesn't quite reach Goldsmith levels). C'mon.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Many Goldsmith fans still want Timeline and Looney Tunes Back In Action I guess

Oh yeah...Timeline too! (Even though the boot sounds great...gimme officially licensed, all the way!)

Oh yeah and "honorary Dante score" Mom and Dad Save the World has some great unreleased music (and the boot is TERRIBLE sounding). How could I forget? (So many people seem to.)

Yavar

P.S. you're the only one bringing up Criminal Law, publicist...even though I don't think that score deserves the hatred it gets it's not remotely one of my favorites, and I think the existing album is the complete score or very very close to it.

19 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

C'mon.

I guess i just have so much other stuff to do, and also listen to non-film music a lot, that just don't get all that feverish anticipation for a lot of scores i consider good at best, subpar at worst...and which have been released in quite sufficient editions. Virtually the only one i would add something to would be 'The Other', but that never had an album.

2 minutes ago, publicist said:

I guess i just have so much other stuff to do, and also listen to non-film music a lot, that just don't get all that feverish anticipation for a lot of scores i consider good at best, subpar at worst...and which have been released in quite sufficient editions. Virtually the only one i would add something to would be 'The Other', but that never had an album.

Well, I'd just ask you to speak for yourself then, rather than declaring collectively "we're out of Goldsmiths" which isn't remotely true.

Horner's Willow was an early favorite of mine when I would young, but at this point I consider it merely "good" (I'll take Krull almost any day), and an expansion of it a much lower priority than at least a third of the Goldsmith scores Varese still controls. Yet it's your #1 most wanted expansion at this point, despite the fact that we already got a very generous 73 minute album! Much of the unreleased music from Willow is variations on that same material (which itself was heavily indebted to a piece of folk music and several concert hall composers, of course). I just don't understand why that music, to you, is "must have" material while you dismiss the unreleased 20 minutes of music from say, The 13th Warrior which is a similar situation IMO. And 13th Warrior is one of the lucky ones, that got an original Varese release well over 30 minutes long. Many of these others like Love Field have had UNDER 30 minutes released!

Yavar