The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

5 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

The Mephisto Waltz is missing at least three cues as well as missing overlays and generally having an inaccurate mix on the previous Varese release. This is a masterpiece that needs a definitive edition.

So let's hope, when that happens, it won't be handled by the guys that made "definitive" versions of AFO and USM.

8 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

So let's hope, when that happens, it won't be handled by the guys that made "definitive" versions of AFO and USM.

I understand the issues with Air Force One, though they aren't dealbreakers for me. U.S. Marshals I have absolutely no issues with (short cues/tracks are no problem at all for me, unless there are long silences between them or something) aside from the fact that I've never really warmed up to the score. :) 

Yavar

6 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

What was wrong with the other releases?

Multiple admittedly minor issues that make them pale in comparison to all the other ambitously and meticulously crafted releases we're used to nowadays. What annoys me to no end is not the severity of the flaws, but the fact that they could have been fixed within minutes if only the producers would have cared enough.

I think so but if you read forward from the point in the thread I linked to, people point out many other problems with it

On 6/9/2020 at 3:28 AM, publicist said:

Lastly, but most importantly for customers outside of North America, we are very excited to be opening our new International Exclusives e-shop!

giphy.gif

On 6/9/2020 at 3:28 AM, publicist said:

Shipped out of the U.K., it will provide substantial savings in postage costs and shipping times for European customers. More details to come.

ShortNiceChickadee-small.gif

It's a business decision - I guess most of their international custom is European.

Someone at FSM suggested that they would bulk ship their releases to the UK... I think they've gotten the wrong end of the stick. I took it to mean that they've made an arrangement with a UK company to press and package CDs on their behalf.

Sounded to me like the idea was to ship to European customers from the UK to reduce shipping times and shipping costs/taxes. But at least the taxes thing is pretty much up in the air at this point.

They might have two shipments from their plants, one to a UK based company and the other sent to the US.

Another possibility is that an arrangement to the Colliseum Schallplatten releases of Varese titles in Europe (forgive the spelling).

14 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Sounded to me like the idea was to ship to European customers from the UK to reduce shipping times and shipping costs/taxes. But at least the taxes thing is pretty much up in the air at this point.

Oh don't you worry Marian. They'll always find some way to delay your parcels. 😉

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Oh don't you worry Marian. They'll always find some way to delay your parcels. 😉

May 24, 2020, 6:20 pm
Processed Through Regional Facility
LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER 
Your item was processed through our LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER facility on May 24, 2020 at 6:20 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

I have wondered in the past whether labels could manufacture internationally and ship directly from those countries. I guess it's not logistically feasible without outsourcing the shipping duties. 

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

May 24, 2020, 6:20 pm
Processed Through Regional Facility
LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER 
Your item was processed through our LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER facility on May 24, 2020 at 6:20 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Mine is even stranger:

Screenshot_2020-06-10-19-10-52-734_com.android.chrome.jpg

Karol

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if VS release a JW title this year it would be the first time the "big 3" labels released a JW title in the same year?  If so that would be cool!

Swimming and gambling?

Deep Blue Sea by Trevor Rabin?  Soul Surfer by Marco Beltrami?

Rounders by Christopher Young?  The Cooler by Mark Isham?

Oh man I'd love a proper Ocean's 11 score release; The OST is only part of the score and partially covered in dialogue, while the FYC promo seems to be complete, but without Gritty Shaker and A Little Less Conversation it really misses something.  Plus maybe there are previously unknown alts or unused cues

It doesn't really seem in their wheelhouse to expand that but anything is possible.

We'll find out in 2 hours 44 minutes I guess

Someone said Free Willy in the Facebook comments, and while I don't think that's it...it's all I want now. LOL. It's long overdue an expansion. Free Willy 2 is too.

1 hour ago, TSMefford said:

Someone said Free Willy in the Facebook comments, and while I don't think that's it...it's all I want now. LOL. It's long overdue an expansion. Free Willy 2 is too.

Well if Varese is going to be the ones to tackle, why not go for a box set ala The Karate Kid, and do all three Free Willy scores in complete form? They own the rights to Eidelman’s fine score to Free Willy 3 in perpetuity, I think.

Free Willy 2 is obviously the highest priority though, as IMO it is the finest of the three scores and has only 3 cues (10 minutes) released!

Yavar

Damn and Damn... lol.

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Well if Varese is going to be the ones to tackle, why not go for a box set ala The Karate Kid, and do all three Free Willy scores in complete form? They own the rights to Eidelman’s fine score to Free Willy 3 in perpetuity, I think.

Free Willy 2 is obviously the highest priority though, as IMO it is the finest of the three scores and has only 3 cues (10 minutes) released!

Yavar

Well sure, I would definitely prefer 2 over 1, but I imagine you've gotta start with 1. I'd love a box set of all 3. Or at least 1 & 2 bundled and 3 on it's own.

Well I clicked on their sale to buy the expanded Hellboy for $5, but it's sold out!  (I wonder if they meant to list the standard Hellboy OST - makes sense, since that's what I bought for $3 at Family Dollar a few years back - same as many of their other discs currently on sale).

Very strange to see Varese's site with GBP prices, and when they eventually release something I want, it'll only take a few days to get here :o

Can't help noticing this bit in their FAQs:

We comply fully with the regulations imposed by UK Customs & Border Protection and thus cannot declare your order as a "gift" or with a lesser value than is required. 

Feels like a very passive aggressive slap down to people who want them to do what the other labels do.

4 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Feels like a very passive aggressive slap down to people who want them to do what the other labels do.

Or just an honest upfront statement explaining why they can't do it.

55 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Is SeaQuest any good, though?

Obviously taste is subjective, but in my opinion the score is incredible! Basically its a lot of bombastic action music with a ton of Jaws references.

The show on the other hand... Meh. The score definitely deserved a much better show to accompany.

12 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Obviously taste is subjective, but in my opinion the score is incredible! Basically its a lot of bombastic action music with a ton of Jaws references.

The show on the other hand... Meh. The score definitely deserved a much better show to accompany.

Could you post a few highlights from YouTube?

30 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Could you post a few highlights from YouTube?

Unfortunately most of the highlights (or at least my personal favorites) were left off of the original release. I primarily listen to the leaked bootleg of the pilot episode, despite the terrible quality. Varese did upload several samples on their website for the new release, but here is the full original album: