The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

"What are you two on about," “what part don’t you understand” and “it’s not complicated” will generally be understood as condescending. Like almost always.

Fixed.

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

“What part don’t you understand?” and “It’s not complicated” can be inferred as condescending. 

Moderators are always rude and condescending. It's their Job. Right Jay? 😂

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Has anybody ordered from Varese's international store? Do they declare both content value and shipping charge on the package?

Where do you live? If it's in the EU that won't matter. Not until the end of this year anyway.

Karol

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Has anybody ordered from Varese's international store? Do they declare both content value and shipping charge on the package?

I received Wild Wild West from the Intl. store last week, and it was just a normal Royal Mail package, with no declarations needed.

It sounds like what they're doing is shipping a bulk load to the UK to a local warehousing company, with a few extra £s on the price to contribute towards this, and taking care of customs bits themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

The day after LLL tells us not to get excited, Varese comes around and tells us to get excited about 2 titles!

Here's hoping for Brainstorm or Sneakers!

Coming this Friday:

Another " collection of cues".

😔

54 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

t I do hope they can make Brainstorm happen someday.

Yavar

Well, at least we should get the VERY listenable ost.😊

Don't know how  the film tracks will be presented or what will be new.

2 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Fingers crossed for a Presumed Innocent  30th anniversary Deluxe Edition!  :rock2: :banana:

I'm gonna ask this every time a post like this appears as a reaction to a CD Club announcement: Why, for fuck's sake?!

8 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I'm gonna ask this every time a post like this appears as a reaction to a CD Club announcement: Why, for fuck's sake?!

Presumably because it's the very last unexpanded Williams score that Varese controls in perpetuity.

Yavar

Just now, Yavar Moradi said:

Presumably because it's the very last unexpanded Williams score that Varese controls in perpetuity.

Yavar

Outrageous! Who in their right mind would care! Bah humbug!

13 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Like Yavar said, it's the last JW score that VS owns in perpetuity.  Is it in my top-10 wish list?  No, but there's bound to be some unreleased music.

Hopefully they won't hold on to it because it's the last JW title they own, after the fantastic Dracula and Cowboys releases a few years ago I'd love to hear a new presentation of PI.

32 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

after the fantastic Dracula and Cowboys releases a few years ago

Those were milestones! I look forward to listening to Dracula during the spookiest month. And the Cowboys was a pleasant surprise, as I didn't know what to expect from such an early JW score, but ended up enjoying it a lot.

13 hours ago, Arpy said:

@Brundlefly Why do you hate Presumed Innocent? Why shit on people's dreams?

Probably not a case of 'hating' the score, but Varese controls a lot of scores with likely much more unreleased music than Presumed.

It's the same sort of debate as when we were discussing whether Varese was using their resources effectively by doing scores that other labels could do.

To be frank, the hype surrounding SPR was ridiculous, with almost all of the release being identical, with a few minutes' unreleased. It's nice for fans that it happened, but other scores need attention more.

SPR is one of my all-time favorite Williams scores, so its expansion was a bigger deal for me than, say, The River, even though the amount of new material was far less... (not a River diss, more about how I feel about SPR).  Erbodys got a different view on these things!

As for the Varese Club, as always, I'll buy any Williams or Elfman release.  I have very few "grails" left, so few now that usually those are things are a surprise to me - scores I don't actively think about or consider but they tickle my brain when they actually get released, like Barry's Howard the Duck.  I'd buy Giacchino's Speed Racer, Varese, if you're listening.

23 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Probably not a case of 'hating' the score, but Varese controls a lot of scores with likely much more unreleased music than Presumed...

...other scores need attention more.

All Williams scores take priority. 

I wanted to get JNH's Peter Pan as I'd been eyeing it for a while but it's sold out from VS! I emailed them about another print but they said they had no plans to reissue it. Oh well, guess I'll have to go on the secondary market...

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oooh, some Elfman for the fall would be nice.  Maybe Beetlejuice, Nightbreed, The Frighteners or Sleepy Hollow?

Well, you know I'd be in.  

It's real stupid since we already have SO MUCH, but one Elfman wish is a new Dick Tracy expansion - an attempt at putting together the complete score as a complete story, with all the songs (cost issue, I know).  The existing OOP expansion is basically a session dump, so scorewise, it's a comprehensive release - but my dream version would be a very different version of comprehensive.  

I have my doubts about something exclusively "spooky" from the labels in October, only because of 2020's challenges - I'm sure nothing is coming out when it was anticipated to.  But that genre is probably the one I'm most likely to buy from, or maybe second only to superhero.

I'd jump on a vol 2 of the Varese Horror Movie Box, for instance.

It seems bizarre that one hasn't come out yet - Paramount's vaults have been wide open to all the labels for 11 years now and I see that one requested often

I know that Elfman/Burton box was a bit of a mess, but didn't it cover most of the unreleased material from Sleepy Hollow?

Great score though, would love to see it expanded properly (not just the OST + bonus tracks at the end).

It didn't, no, there's still tons of stuff missing

Nightmare Before Christmas was the only expansion in that box set that was really comprehensive.  Well plus PeeWee too I think... maybe Beetlejuice.

But even if they all were comprehensive, that was a $500 box that's been Out Of Print for what, 8 years now?  Well worth the labels revisiting each score individually, as they've already done with Batman, Edward Scissorhands, and Planet of The Apes.

44 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Those were milestones! I look forward to listening to Dracula during the spookiest month. And the Cowboys was a pleasant surprise, as I didn't know what to expect from such an early JW score, but ended up enjoying it a lot.

Is now a good time to confess I don't know either of them?

17 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm not saying Rudy is in desperate need of expansion or anything, it's been so long since I saw the movie I have no idea how much music is missing, but.... well it's college football season, the air is turning crisp, and I'd be very down to listen to a new presentation of Rudy :) 

I'm so excited this is the first time I'm going to say this...  I agree with Disco Stu ;)

I love the score to Rudy, especially the final game sequence.  This would be a day-one purchase for me.

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I know that Elfman/Burton box was a bit of a mess, but didn't it cover most of the unreleased material from Sleepy Hollow?

Not even close. Even a sessions leak a few years ago didn't include everything, plus there are about a million alternates.

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Great score though, would love to see it expanded properly (not just the OST + bonus tracks at the end).

:up:

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Is now a good time to confess I don't know either of them?

bolle, you've got to get these two releases, you will not be disappointed.

2 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Not even close. Even a sessions leak a few years ago didn't include everything, plus there are about a million alternates.

Sounds cool! Hopefully one of the labels tackle it properly then, had no idea so much was missing.