The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

On 9/28/2020 at 4:33 PM, Jay said:

Bryon Davis revealed to JWFan here that it is a goal of his to make a new release of Brainstorm happen

If you click on the tracklist tab on the website entry, it tells you who is behind each track - many are directly off their OST albums

The ones I'm most interested in, the Star Wars tracks, just say "John Williams" -  the track times don't match the OST.  If they just licensed SW OST tracks, I won't bother with the rest, though.

Sony owns the TPM OST tracks and wouldn't have licensed them to Varese- it's definitely a new recording and is definitely the concert suites and not the OST edits of film cues but I don't remember the conductor/orchestra any more

Did some digging and apparently it's the RSNO with Talgorn.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8735513--themes-from-the-phantom-menace-and-other-film-hits

Good enough for my five bucks!  Especially because 

9 minutes ago, Romão said:

it's the only release of Adventures of Jar Jar

OMFG I can't believe it! Hope they soon do the sequels, too (especially the second one)! I got HTTYD plus both of those LOST albums (somehow I only have the "Final Episodes" album on CD!),  and that Vertigo re-recording for just 5 bucks!

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

This is a nice surprise. Looks like Powell is on a roll of revisiting his older works. Wonder what’ll be next!

You never know!

4 hours ago, Bayesian said:

Is Horner's Where the River Runs Black worth $10? I'm tempted to get this alongside HTTYD.

I think it is.

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

This is a nice surprise. Looks like Powell is on a roll of revisiting his older works. Wonder what’ll be next!

With any luck, Bourne.

The only thing on the table would be pre-2005 scores (like Forces of Nature) or non-union scores (like Solo and all three HTTYD).  All his post-2005 LA-recorded scores are presumably much more difficult to make happen

7 hours ago, Romão said:

Looks like Robocop 2 and Black Cauldron are out of stock. Are they gone for good?

The international store has RoboCop 2 for £9.

EDIT: Oh wait, they don't. :(

Is Scream 2 any good?

Karol

Does anyone know what CEPO is? Varese gave me a tracking number, but after a google search I can't find a site to enter the tracking number.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

Does anyone know what CEPO is? Varese gave me a tracking number, but after a google search I can't find a site to enter the tracking number.

Which store eid you order it from? I don't think you can track international orders from the US store. 

Karol

14 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Which store eid you order it from? I don't think you can track international orders from the US store. 

Karol

Well, I ordered from the Shocktober sales with titles only available in the US store and their email provided a tracking number saying it was shipped using 'CEPO'. Not sure whether to email Varese or just leave it.

5 hours ago, Arpy said:

If I go to their website, log in, pull up my order history, and click open any old order, the tracking numbers shown are clickable and clicking one brings me directly to the tracking of the package in a new tab

19 hours ago, Jay said:

If I go to their website, log in, pull up my order history, and click open any old order, the tracking numbers shown are clickable and clicking one brings me directly to the tracking of the package in a new tab

I tried that, but the link just redirects to the order. I've emailed Varese, so hopefully I get to the bottom of this.

It's strange because according to a google search, 'CEPO' doesn't exist.

What service did they use? If you go to the website and log on it should tell you. If it's something called "Worldmail" you won't be able to track it. I already asked them when a couple of orders were delayed some time ago.

Karol

18 hours ago, crocodile said:

What service did they use? If you go to the website and log on it should tell you. If it's something called "Worldmail" you won't be able to track it. I already asked them when a couple of orders were delayed some time ago.

Karol

Varese responded and it turns out this was the case, no tracking with Worldmail. Guess I'll have to just sit and wait and wonder.

On 10/16/2020 at 2:05 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

@BryonDavis, it would be great if VS re-released the four albums of Waxman re-recordings conducted by Richard Mills.

Honestly?  I don't know if we will be doing that.  The focus is on the film scores in the catalog.  I'll make a note and look into it to see if it's feasible.

3 hours ago, BryonDavis said:

Honestly?  I don't know if we will be doing that.  The focus is on the film scores in the catalog.  I'll make a note and look into it to see if it's feasible.

That's just one example of the many good-to-great VS re-recordings that's not available anymore. There's also the excellent re-recording of Sunset Boulevard that's been OOP for several years. Perhaps a Waxman box of re-recordings could be done?

Another example is the great re-recording of North by Northwest, which I believe was limited to 3000 units and sold out relatively quickly.