The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

On 10/22/2020 at 10:41 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Another example is the great re-recording of North by Northwest, which I believe was limited to 3000 units and sold out relatively quickly.

I'd buy that in a heartbeat. For some unforgivable reason, I never picked it up when it was still available, even though it's probably (and especially back then) the Herrmann score I'm most familiar with.

Fortunately, it's available as a lossless download. It definitely would prefer to have the CD but it is something at least.

@Marian Schedenig I cannot explain why I skipped both this and Intrada release. :lol:

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Fortunately, it's available as a lossless download. It definitely would prefer to have the CD but it is something at least.

@Marian Schedenig I cannot explain why I skipped both this and Intrada release. :lol:

Karol

Thankfully I purchased both. :)

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

I've got the Rhino and the Intrada, which explains even less why I skipped the McNeely.

49 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Does it have informative liner notes?

That it does, I think. I don't remember what they say, but there's a page listing all the tracks with their recording dates, a 4 page essay about Herrmann and the score by Christopher Husted, 3 pages of Producer's Notes, and a 10 page essay "The Story" which is both a plot synopsis and a track by track analysis. And many of the photos and film stills have captions describing them.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BryonDavis said:

It's unlikely the Final Conflict will be expanded.  I could be wrong but it's been looked into.  Things can always change though.

What about a straight up re-release of the Deluxe Edition? After all, it's almost 20 years since it came out, and a lot of newer score collectors must be missing it. To me, it's an essential Goldsmith score, and I'm sure most people would agree.

1 hour ago, BryonDavis said:

I have suggested this get a proper reissue. 

That's great!

22 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

The Final Conflict is up to another label. The is no perpetuity license for Varese Sarabande.

Yes, I was wondering the same becuase Robert Townson has the rights through his MASTERS FILM MUSIC label.

But I really want this to fully expanded and complete.

29 minutes ago, Amer said:

Yes, I was wondering the same becuase Robert Townson has the rights through his MASTERS FILM MUSIC label.

Huh, he transferred the rights from VS before he left?

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Huh, he transferred the rights from VS before he left?

the rights were shared by Varese and MFM. (See the MFM logo with Varese on the cd backside below). The perpetuity rights stand with Townson.

TFC.jpg

6 hours ago, Amer said:

I would really like to have a trilogy box set à la Planet of the Apes released by Intrada or La-La Land. The first one would have another chance to get truly completion - maybe the elements turned up surprisingly. The second one is already complete, but would benefit from a sonic update and the third one has obviously stuff missing. Three CDs for $50 - I'd buy that in a heartbeat. No stand against that if the license owners agree to let the special labels do their job.

2 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

There are only three short cues missing -

• R4P1 Speakers Corner
  • R9P2 After Hours
  • R10P1 The Tube

A couple of minutes at most. 

I'm aware of SPEAKERS CORNER, but where do the other two cues appear in the film?

23 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'm aware of SPEAKERS CORNER, but where do the other two cues appear in the film?

Thats my is wanted cue. One understands why Townson was not in a rush to do it again. There are only few cues. But a complete program on Disc 1 and OST assembly on Disc 2 would be justified. 

10 minutes ago, Amer said:

But a complete program on Disc 1 and OST assembly on Disc 2 would be justified. 

Do we really need a second disc for the OST assembly, when the complete score is basically the same with six cues added in between?

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm not championing a release of the complete score, but rather getting the score back on CD.

I would buy a new expansion with the missing cues, just because, but I don't know them and therefore can't say if I would consider them relevant. In any case, it should be available, in some form at least. It's as essential as anything Goldsmith has written.

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Do we really need a second disc for the OST assembly, when the complete score is basically the same with six cues added in between?

Yes.Just as we need the 2CD of THE OMEN which Varese did.

What?  The first expansion and 40th Anniversary expansion are both just one disc without the OST program

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/the-omen-40th-anniversary-edition

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19EmaHJccotmN1prBkX78PN2uvRyrfKWBGSkZ4-aoMgU/

AFAIK for The Omen the OST album was already the same takes as the film so you can just remove tracks from either expansion to end up with the OST program (other than the fact that Safari Park was edited down)

I could’ve sworn I’d heard for years that there were (at least) four cues still missing from The Final Conflict.

What I had argued for years ago on the boards (before the original Omen was further expanded with the Anniversary Edition) was a full franchise release including definitive versions of all FIVE Omen scores — the two not by Goldsmith I believe Varese controls in perpetuity since they released the original albums:

1. The Omen (expanded to complete form, as basically happened on its own)

2. Damien: Omen II (remastered/restored with new technology which can hopefully rescue the damaged film recording better)

3. The Final Conflict (with the four missing cues)

4. Omen IV: The Awakening by Jonathan Sheffer (expanded to complete-as-recorded — this is quality music even if not on Goldsmith’s level; it was treated very poorly in the film and much went unused)

5. The Omen by Marco Beltrami (I think this is really excellent work and would love an official complete edition, though it might not have a ton of sales potential on its own.)

Yavar

13 hours ago, Jay said:

What?  The first expansion and 40th Anniversary expansion are both just one disc without the OST program

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/the-omen-40th-anniversary-edition

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19EmaHJccotmN1prBkX78PN2uvRyrfKWBGSkZ4-aoMgU/

Yikes. I need to open my set. Still unopened. I forgot. 

15 hours ago, Jay said:

AFAIK for The Omen the OST album was already the same takes as the film so you can just remove tracks from either expansion to end up with the OST program (other than the fact that Safari Park was edited down)

So you’d have to not just rearrange but do your own editing to listen to the OST.

The only scores I wouldn’t want a separate OST presentation are scores where it’s already presented as-is, with the new cues added as bonus tracks (see: SPR, Schindler’s, Dick Tracy, etc.).  To me, any definitive presentation of a score would also present the listening program.

i know the point of these things is to make money and to present the new music, so I don’t begrudge the labels for NOT always including the OST.  Certainly the addition of an additional disc, if it would come to that, makes any release more expensive to put together and a tougher sell.  I’m just talkin’ my preference.

9 hours ago, mstrox said:

So you’d have to not just rearrange but do your own editing to listen to the OST.

The only scores I wouldn’t want a separate OST presentation are scores where it’s already presented as-is, with the new cues added as bonus tracks (see: SPR, Schindler’s, Dick Tracy, etc.).  To me, any definitive presentation of a score would also present the listening program.

i know the point of these things is to make money and to present the new music, so I don’t begrudge the labels for NOT always including the OST.  Certainly the addition of an additional disc, if it would come to that, makes any release more expensive to put together and a tougher sell.  I’m just talkin’ my preference.

You're right, of course.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2020 at 11:23 PM, Amer said:

I find it interesting how so many seem to know the rights to Varese releases. I am quite certain that VS has rights for Final Conflict.  All I will say on this.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Imminent re-release confirmed! :)

No but here's a tip for you sleuths, if its up digitally, it means rights are still with Varese. Final Conflict is still up and still with Varese. Just because the former producer started a production company (1 release in over a year btw) does not mean he will ever reissue anything like he did with Varese. My 2 cents.

7 minutes ago, BryonDavis said:

No but here's a tip for you sleuths, if its up digitally, it means rights are still with Varese. Final Conflict is still up and still with Varese.

That's indeed great, but I still hope for another CD release. After all, it's essential Goldsmith, and it's 19 years since the last release.