The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

@BryonDavis Can you get us a fully expanded and remastered Omen trilogy box set?:D

Or go full APES and include the Scheffer and Beltrami Omen scores complete-as-recorded too! ;) 

Yavar

On 11/13/2020 at 12:46 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

I could’ve sworn I’d heard for years that there were (at least) four cues still missing from The Final Conflict.

What I had argued for years ago on the boards (before the original Omen was further expanded with the Anniversary Edition) was a full franchise release including definitive versions of all FIVE Omen scores — the two not by Goldsmith I believe Varese controls in perpetuity since they released the original albums:

1. The Omen (expanded to complete form, as basically happened on its own)

2. Damien: Omen II (remastered/restored with new technology which can hopefully rescue the damaged film recording better)

3. The Final Conflict (with the four missing cues)

4. Omen IV: The Awakening by Jonathan Sheffer (expanded to complete-as-recorded — this is quality music even if not on Goldsmith’s level; it was treated very poorly in the film and much went unused)

5. The Omen by Marco Beltrami (I think this is really excellent work and would love an official complete edition, though it might not have a ton of sales potential on its own.)

27 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Didn't Beltrami also score THE THING remake- which nobody saw?.  ((and STRAW DOGS also?)

Yes to the former. The latter was Larry Groupé. But Beltrami did score the excellent 3:10 to Yuma (2007) if you want to talk remakes.

Yavar

@BryonDavis I've often wondered this but didn't think to ask; since the Disney Records transfer, does Varese still have the distribution rights to the Ewok films? If so any case of an expansion in the distant future? :P

8 hours ago, BryonDavis said:

No but here's a tip for you sleuths, if its up digitally, it means rights are still with Varese. Final Conflict is still up and still with Varese. Just because the former producer started a production company (1 release in over a year btw) does not mean he will ever reissue anything like he did with Varese. My 2 cents.

And to start a label isn't so easy.  Bobby T is no longer interested in releasing soundtracks to films.  Most of the people he dealt with are not involved in such things plus the studios are either back logged or they want a LOT of money.  There is a lot more involved in running/starting a label other than contacting a studio and trying to license a title.  Shipping, manufacturing, royalties, employee(s), supplies, art design, and so much more.  Bobby has no desire to do this anymore and wants to keep doing those intimate albums.  And Bryon is correct, if you see a title up digitally saying VARESE, they have it and that's that.  I do hope Bobby keeps releasing those intimate albums of 2 musicians as they are a great listen.  Though he probably should tweak his language now saying in his bio..."been averaging one new album release a week for the last thirty years."  That is not factually correct anymore and hasn't been for almost a year.  Had lunch with him a few months back, he's doing good, has some ideas of albums in the future that I think many will enjoy.  I can't say what they are, but....we all love Jarre...

34 minutes ago, pjhackman said:

And to start a label isn't so easy.  Bobby T is no longer interested in releasing soundtracks to films.  Most of the people he dealt with are not involved in such things plus the studios are either back logged or they want a LOT of money.  There is a lot more involved in running/starting a label other than contacting a studio and trying to license a title.  Shipping, manufacturing, royalties, employee(s), supplies, art design, and so much more.  Bobby has no desire to do this anymore and wants to keep doing those intimate albums.  And Bryon is correct, if you see a title up digitally saying VARESE, they have it and that's that.  I do hope Bobby keeps releasing those intimate albums of 2 musicians as they are a great listen.  Though he probably should tweak his language now saying in his bio..."been averaging one new album release a week for the last thirty years."  That is not factually correct anymore and hasn't been for almost a year.  Had lunch with him a few months back, he's doing good, has some ideas of albums in the future that I think many will enjoy.  I can't say what they are, but....we all love Jarre...

Hey Peter...nice to see you here!  Jarre is awesome, you are right...running a label is a lot of work and while I do admit liking Cinema Morricone a lot (Simone is a great pianist) it seems he has no interest in releasing anything else.  But hey...he was prolific once upon a time.

Well Iam very pleased to learn that a fully expanded THE FINAL CONFLICT is being considered right under Varese.

Thanks for the clarification. :D

@BryonDavis do you know anything about the iTunes exclusive V/S releases that have disappeared from that platform?

I'm referring to things like The Black Cauldron, Lionheart DE, Article 99, Wisdom, Cocoon: The Return, etc.

Thanks

18 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

@BryonDavis do you know anything about the iTunes exclusive V/S releases that have disappeared from that platform?

I'm referring to things like The Black Cauldron, Lionheart DE, Article 99, Wisdom, Cocoon: The Return, etc.

Thanks

Honestly...the catalog team does not deal with digital.  It may be a number of issues I couldn't really explain.

New sale from VS!

SITEWIDE HOLIDAY SALE

Save between 10-20% off your entire purchase between 11/25-11/30.  The discount applies automatically during checkout based on the size of your cart.  A few recent releases are excluded.  The one time of year to stock your cart with big savings, don’t miss out! 
BUY U.S
BUY INTL

On 11/23/2020 at 11:12 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

@BryonDavis I've often wondered this but didn't think to ask; since the Disney Records transfer, does Varese still have the distribution rights to the Ewok films? If so any case of an expansion in the distant future? :P

You have the worst avatar in the history of avatars.

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2020 at 10:40 AM, Bryant Burnette said:

You have the worst avatar in the history of avatars.

I could fix it up for him if he posts it on as a separate pic on the photography thread

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Brainstorm?mmmmmmmmm

;)

Maybe no clue is the clue... What if the clues are here but invisible ?

So I predict HOLLOW MAN Deluxe Edition as a 2-CD set (Goldsmith) and MEMOIRS OF AN INVISIBLE MAN Deluxe Edition (Walker).