The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

1 hour ago, Jay said:

@EhTar pointed out something cool on FSM

I'm at that point where I'm starting to think they deliberately post one picture every time that *can* be interpreted as a Brainstorm teaser just to mess with us. I'll get excited when they actually release it.

17 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

What is the guy in the Varese photo doing, which is not happening on any of the Brainstorm images?

Yavar

BRAISNTORM featured a gadget that was worn on the head,  similar to a headset.

And, induced strong emotions, like bliss, upon the wearer.

9 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I think there is an obvious detail that everyone is missing...

7 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

What is the guy in the Varese photo doing, which is not happening on any of the Brainstorm images?

I don't like this game.  Why don't you just tell us what you think it is?

7 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Yavar

Until Yavar gets back to us with the answer, I'm gonna suggest that the guy in the Varese pic is doing much more that's alike to the person in the Brainstorm poster than different: He's clutching at his head with both hands, fingers tented; he's got his eyes closed and his mouth is open; and his expression is one of pleasure. Whatever is different isn't going to outweigh those parallels.

Ergo, Brainstorm it is! QED.

8 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Yavar

Screaming?

Not how I interpreted it. I would say he’s listening to music on those headphones (which I assume is not what happens in Brainstorm?)

We will find out soon what it is. If it is Brainstorm I will be surprised, but very happy. But I’m expecting to be happy either way...

Yavar

I don't understand the point of looking at a picture, thinking of a possibility, then not telling us what you think that possibility is.  What do you think is going to happen if you share your guess here?

19 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Yeah, why would they use an isolated photo of a guy listening to headphones if listening to headphones wasn't part of the clue?

Could it be... the Sound of Music?  ;)

Or just some other music?

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't understand the point of looking at a picture, thinking of a possibility, then not telling us what you think that possibility is.  What do you think is going to happen if you share your guess here?

It can only mean that he knows what it is, but isn't allowed to say anything. So it has to be Goldsmith.

8 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

So it will be a CD of music. We've made good progress today.

More likely an LP.

49 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Not how I interpreted it. I would say he’s listening to music on those headphones (which I assume is not what happens in Brainstorm?)

It's The Music Man!

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Or just some other music?

It can only mean that he knows what it is, but isn't allowed to say anything. So it has to be Goldsmith.

I don’t know for sure what it is, but I have a strong suspicion and let’s say an unfair advantage, and at this point I kinda regret trying to steer people in a different direction since Jay seems so hell bent on dragging it out of me and we will find out soon enough. I only commented about the detail people were missing because I remembered how upset folks were last time when it turned out not to be Brainstorm and I didn’t want to see a repeat of that disappointment and frustration with the clues. So once again, I don’t *know* that it isn’t Brainstorm and I will be very happy if it is!

Yavar

I just think it's strange behavior to tell people you have a guess, but then not want to tell people what your guess is.  You can't understand that viewpoint at all?

I literally just explained my behavior to you; if you still find it strange...sorry? And I never said “I have a guess!” What I said was, “I think there’s a detail in the clue photo that most people are missing.” And that’s all I wanted to say. :) 

People were SOOOO sure it was Brainstorm last time (hell I was too!) and then so many of them were disappointed and even pissed off at Varese for “stupid clues” when it wasn’t! (The clues still fit the other titles, but people got so fixated on the reasons that their desired title was a BETTER fit for them.)

Yavar

21 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I literally just explained my behavior to you; if you still find it strange...sorry?

I read your post too quickly and missed the "unfair advantage" part, now I get it again

It's all good my friend

6 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

“I think there’s a detail in the clue photo that most people are missing.”

Surely you can tell us which specific detail you are referring to, no?

What’s “a heritage title”?

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Surely you can tell us which specific detail you are referring to, no?

I did. And I will say no more on the subject, especially if people start throwing around guesses. It’s not my place to hint, and I don’t even know for sure what Varese is announcing today.

Yavar

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Universal's heritage series of classic film scores. I thought this wasn't limited to LLLR, but I may be mistaken.

"The Universal Heritage Collection" is no longer called that, it's called "The Universal Classics Collection" now.

LLLR has released all the titles with that branding except for one, Rooser Cogburn by Varese.  However, MM has done many many other titles from Universal's vaults since the branding started that didn't carry that branding, and those have come out via LLL, Varese, Intrada and Quartet.

I don't know how they decide what gets the branding and what does not; It seemed for a while like "premieres" get the branding and "expansions" do not... but then Two Mules was an expansion got the branding and The Big Fix was a premiere that did not, so who knows!

I maintain a list of all of this here:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28632-universal-classics-collection-from-universal-pictures-mike-matessino/

19 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I did.

Oh!  This was the detail?

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I would say he’s listening to music on those headphones

I definitely did not think that was the detail, I thought you were just making a different observation

Looking at the picture again, there's no indication he's listening to music.  He could be listening to anything.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Looking at the picture again, there's no indication he's listening to music.  He could be listening to anything.

If it helps anybody the stock photo seems to have labels and tags mostly related to audio, headphones, listening to music, listening to his favorite song, singing, etc.

The full description: Enjoying his favorite song. Man listening favourite song in headphones and singing. Guy with earphones listens music. Man screaming face enjoy listening music isolated white background.

The farmhouse has the obvious tags.

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'd say his facial expression points towards listening to music.

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh!  This was the detail?

I definitely did not think that was the detail, I thought you were just making a different observation

He does not look like he’s listening to a podcast, IMO. ;) Though maybe he’s listening to The Goldsmith Odyssey...

Now that it’s announced and my suspicions have been confirmed... me I saw that photo and instantly thought to myself, “it’s finally coming! It’s a (kinda looney-looking) guy listening to tunes!”

Yavar

Yea, in retrospect the image makes sense, but there's no way anybody could have guessed it ahead of time.

A perfect clue image! 

I wonder how long it took them to find an image of a guy listening to music that looked looney enough?

3 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

“it’s finally coming! It’s a (kinda looney-looking) guy listening to tunes!”

You're the only one who'd think that! 

4 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Though maybe he’s listening to The Goldsmith Odyssey...

:lol:

Very excited for Babe! I loved Westlake's treatment of Saint-Saens' theme (and his incorporation of melodies by other French composers) and the movie itself is something of a gem. Ordered.