The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

I think it works far less as an album than Chicken Run, mostly because of the score sharing the film with so many songs.

Sort of score where if they'd done a bit more arranging (joining short cues, etc) they could've just released the complete score to begin with. If you're only leaving 8 minutes unreleased, you might as well find a way to release it.

The only cue in Shrek that I think it was memorable is when Shrek and Donkey are flying the dragon to stop the wedding, at the end of the movie. Pure Powell magic there.

There's also some fun electronic percussion for when they're saving Fiona from the Dragon, which I think it was HGW.

Besides that, the most memorable musical moments in the movie are scored with songs. 

I think there is a lot of nice stuff in Shrek!  Fairy Tale, Eating Alone, Starry Night, Fiona’s secret, the finale which was mentioned.  I’m not sure I’d be in $20-25 for a complete version, especially since the highlights from the movie are represented, but if it pops up digitally for cheaper I would likely go for it.

I like Shrek quite a bit. While an expanded wouldn't be much longer, I was told one cue has a unique variant in film that isn't on the leak, so there is material there to warrant a release. I probably would wait for a digital release as well, given how much HTTYD ended up not being scarce like people would've expected.

1 hour ago, HunterTech said:

I like Shrek quite a bit. While an expanded wouldn't be much longer, I was told one cue has a unique variant in film that isn't on the leak, so there is material there to warrant a release. I probably would wait for a digital release as well, given how much HTTYD ended up not being scarce like people would've expected.

I think that's Fairytale Deathcamp. I'm not famliar with the difference, but I remember someone else mentioning the scene, where there's less instrumentation, or something like that.

I'd likely buy a CD, mostly as it would cost around the same as a lossless download would.

4 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I think that's Fairytale Deathcamp. I'm not famliar with the difference, but I remember someone else mentioning the scene, where there's less instrumentation, or something like that.

I'd likely buy a CD, mostly as it would cost around the same as a lossless download would.

I imagine that one was a stem edit of the original track. What I was thinking of is 4m49 I'll Tell Him, which apparently is completely different in film. Not sure if that was a last minute revision that was too late to make it on the album, or if it's hacked together from various cues.

I only tend to buy CDs when it's for a score I really admire or if I know I'll listen to the official presentation instead of a fan made one. Since some scores that I could buy have custom configurations I've gotten real used to, I'm less likely to buy an official set for those (though I could make exceptions).

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The infamous action motif!

I've heard some comparisons with HGW's work on Metal Gear Solid 2, which I can hear from the one track I know.

My thing is more that I'm one of those people that essentially only buys CDs as an item to display and occasionally look at after ripping them, given my general preference for digital music players, as well as not having much space around the room to get much disc sets. So I tend to get super picky about what I want to buy, especially if it's a set that is known for having issues. For example, I own the Superman Returns LLL set purely because of my admiration of the score, in spite of finding it basically unlistenable. Given how relatively new I am to this film score business, I am sure my thought process could change once I get more acquainted with the medium. Heck, I am considering grabbing the LLL Elfman Batman set in spite of having a custom for 89.

2 hours ago, HunterTech said:

I've heard some comparisons with HGW's work on Metal Gear Solid 2, which I can hear from the one track I know.

No one seems to exactly who wrote it or when. It’s in Deep Blue Sea and I believe Children Of Dune?

2:10 here. 

54 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think when you enjoy a bootleg of a score, you should be MORE inclined to buy an official release of it, not less inclined.  Even if you go back to listening to your bootleg version instead of the ones a professional team put together legally, it's the right thing to do to support the artists who made the art you are enjoying, and teams that will continue to work on other scores, including ones you may have long desired that doesn't have a bootleg

I've always bought official releases of boots.

Obviously!

15 minutes ago, EhTar said:

Yes! I've always loved that score and will definitely be getting this one.

No Williams titles here but I'm sure the LLL announcement will not disappoint us :) 

23 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Some parts strongly remind me of Williams War of the Worlds, especially the more kinetic action music (also obvious Herrmann references in the score as well).

Even the cover art looks similar :D 

A good batch indeed ! Knowing is my favourite Beltrami (love the mood and the amazing finale), and though I'm not familiar with Lionheart I know it's Goldsmith and it has a great theme, so yeah, I'm getting this :)

Why is the first disc of Lionheart so short?  At first glance I assumed it must be preserving an original release assembly, but no it says the tracks are in film order, not the order of the original LP releases.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Why is the first disc of Lionheart so short?  At first glance I assumed it must be preserving an original release assembly, but no it says the tracks are in film order, not the order of the original LP releases.

The blurb is very confusing.

" Because the new cues are sourced from reference material, they are labeled as “bonus tracks” at the end of a shorter-than-expected disc one, so as to remain in chronological order."

The tracks add up to about 82 minutes, so there had to be a disc split somewhere. From that quote, I think  "Bondage" and "Black Prince" come from a different, worse source? And that's where they put the split so that they can be marked as "bonus tracks" at the end of a disc but still be chronological on the whole? But they are not marked as such in this online tracklist because... they are not.

I own these two albums:

lionheart-epic.jpgR-4099722-1355210904-3299.jpeg.jpg

Looking at the track list, I'm only missing the tracks Bondage and Black Prince, which total less that 4 minutes. Unless the sound has been significantlly improved, I'm not sure if the this warrants the purchase. Anyone else in this situation?

14 minutes ago, EhTar said:

Except the very last seen of Knowing, which sooo cheesy, the film is brillant. And such is the score. One of the best from Mr Beltrami with Scream, Mimic, Hellboy and Gods of Egypt if you ask me. Ordered !

Agreed, it's one of my favorite Beltrami scores and I haven't heard it in a long time. Great opportunity to revisit it!

12 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I thought the film was surprisingly good up until the last handful of scenes as well.  Among the “best” of Nic Cage’s aughts efforts.

Also agreed. Damn. Maybe I should rewatch it this weekend. It's been awhile!

3 hours ago, Romão said:

Looking at the track list, I'm only missing the tracks Bondage and Black Prince, which total less that 4 minutes. Unless the sound has been significantlly improved, I'm not sure if the this warrants the purchase. Anyone else in this situation?

I have the 1 disc Volcano (Japanese Varese) release, which has almost everything from the previous two albums on one disc. I too was mainly hoping for improved sound, but since I only have Japanese liner notes, I figure this will be worth getting even if the sound stays the same.

2 hours ago, EhTar said:

Except for its very last scene, which sooo cheesy,

knowing-ending.jpg

Knowing is a brillant movie. And such is the score. One of the best from Mr Beltrami with Scream, Mimic, Hellboy and Gods of Egypt if you ask me. Ordered !

Looks like The Fountain.

8 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Nobody has actually seen LIONHEART

Like with INCHON!

I've seen both. And believe me Lionheart is much better than Inchon. There are actually a lot of hints of greatness about it; you can tell it had an assured director at the helm filming things, and Gabriel Byrne is really good as the villain. The worst thing is Eric Stoltz as the protagonist; he's terribly lame and sinks the movie (most of the other kid actors are pretty decent IMO). But budget cuts and (later) film cuts are what really sank this movie which otherwise would have been promising (you can absolutely see the hints of a really good movie in it), apart from that lead performance.

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

6 hours ago, Holko said:

The blurb is very confusing.

" Because the new cues are sourced from reference material, they are labeled as “bonus tracks” at the end of a shorter-than-expected disc one, so as to remain in chronological order."

The tracks add up to about 82 minutes, so there had to be a disc split somewhere. From that quote, I think  "Bondage" and "Black Prince" come from a different, worse source? And that's where they put the split so that they can be marked as "bonus tracks" at the end of a disc but still be chronological on the whole? But they are not marked as such in this online tracklist because... they are not.

The tracks actually add up to 83.5 minutes. I answered all your inquiries in the other thread, here:

By the way, the album is *absolutely* worth getting for those two unreleased cues -- they are the whole introduction to the villainous Black Prince motif, and add a lot to the musical/thematic architecture of the score which otherwise first introduces the theme in "Children in Bondage" mixed with a lot of other material into an action cue. Also, those two unreleased cues play brilliantly when restored into the film scenes they were written for, and I'm working on a way for you all to see what I mean...

Yavar