The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

11 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Is Lionheart the score that Goldsmith fans have been wanting a definitive release of for a long time? Or was that some other score that was split over two releases?

As far as I know, Lionheart is the only Goldsmith score that was mainly released as two separate albums. Those have been hard to find as long as I've seen the score being discussed online, probably 20+ years. The mostly complete release that combines almost all the material of those two discs has been even rarer, as far as I know. I have the Volcano (Japanese Varese) release, which I must have picked up around 2000, and for many years I haven't seen it mentioned online at all (and even after that very rarely).

So it's certainly the one Goldsmith score that all those who never got their hands on either both albums or the near-complete version have been wanting for at least two decades.

However, it's also one of the Goldsmith scores with the poorest performance by the orchestra - the brass is quite heavily augmented with synths, and possibly just because the real brass was so weak. Therefore it's the one Goldsmith score (possibly besides Rambo III) that many of us have had as a top candidate for a re-recording for a long time. So while this should sell very well (I'm surprised it's only 1,500 copies), I'm sure a new quality recording (like the Tadlows) would also be a good seller. 

No, there was a French TV program which covered the RS from Lionheart and you can see Jerry integrating the electronic horn later in the process, working only with the recording engineer -- no orchestra.

2CD alone, the shipping fees are too high for shipping in Canada, so I'll wait to combine this one with... maybe a new JW release... Hoping :-)

3 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Must have been a different score I'm thinking of

Goldsmith *usually* liked to record the synths live with the orchestra (or at least he did in the 90s). Which is why the fact that he added them in post production for Lionheart might be an indication that they were specifically meant to cover up the bad performance.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

That was ridiculously fast. I didn't even get shipping notification. 😳

20210501_122908.jpg

Karol 

Wow, very fast indeed, did you order from the US website?

I'm not seeing "The Deluxe Edition" spine for Knowing, are you sure they didn't ship the OST? :D 

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I'm not seeing "The Deluxe Edition" spine for Knowing, are you sure they didn't ship the OST? :D 

I think if you look really carefully to the left bottom of the set you'll see it's a 2CD set

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

Wow, very fast indeed, did you order from the US website?

It was the international site. They're always quick but never this quick. 

And you can see in this picture it is a double CD case. ;)

Karol

7 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It was the international site. They're always quick but never this quick.

Great! Hoping for a fast delivery too :)

52 minutes ago, Jay said:

He of course ordered from the International site, not the US site

I don't know where crocodile lives :P

27 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I don't know where crocodile lives :P

Oh.  Right.

On 5/1/2021 at 4:30 AM, crocodile said:

That was ridiculously fast. I didn't even get shipping notification. 😳

Damn. Maybe I need to check my mail too. I haven't gotten word yet either.

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

LIONHEART won't arrive till The Crusades finally ends.😒

In that case, being Austrian, I'll get mine first.

Still waiting for the rest of my order, which was shipped on Monday. I'm still not sure about the whole post-Brexit customs/taxes situation, so perhaps that might cause delays. I've got a tracking number but the Royal Mail website says there is no tracking available for the service associated with my tracking number.

10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

In that case, being Austrian, I'll get mine first.

Still waiting for the rest of my order, which was shipped on Monday. I'm still not sure about the whole post-Brexit customs/taxes situation, so perhaps that might cause delays. I've got a tracking number but the Royal Mail website says there is no tracking available for the service associated with my tracking number.

My order (containing only The Knowing Deluxe Edition) also shipped on Monday. When I ordered from the international site, it said at checkout that the shipping would be by Royal Mail (no tracking) and I still got the tracking number. I suspect that the tracking will be useless in this case.

And of course in terms of customs fees it is really unfortunate for us on the continent that the international store is situated in Britain. And packages you have to declare seem to take forever to arrive these days (one of my packages from US had a 15 day adventure in the Finnish postal service before they sent me a customs declaration notice).  These are the first world problems we struggle with now daily. :P  

Also I feel that Varese not directly notifying those who had ordered Lionheart , that the release would be delayed, is not very good customer service in my book.

On 5/4/2021 at 3:58 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

@BryonDavis so where's the reissue of Peter Bernstein's Ewok scores?? :lol:

Ditto! I need this... but instead of a reissue I've been begging for complete releases...

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to listening to the club release of Knowing and I’m pretty pleased!  I’m usually fairly lukewarm on Beltrami but this one is probably up there at the top of his, along with the first Scream score.  It’s a bit long, so I suspect that the OST would have suited me well, but the highlights are very good!

Just received this in my email

101c20a3-2984-46d5-bd60-62c0594837a9.png

SPRING CLEANING SALE IS LIVE!

a0941038-37d8-aacb-d603-82bb87c063a1.png

It’s time to clear out the closets. Our annual Spring Cleaning sale is now live on our website. Get amazing deals on 100+ titles, half of which are down to their final box, meaning the last copies ever. A limited selection of Spring Cleaning titles are also available in the international store at a discounted rate as well. The sale will run until June 3rd, so you’ve got exactly a week to get your orders in. Act fast!

SHOP U.S.
SHOP INTL

• 2 weeks later...

Since every Varese Club batch so far this year has included a Jerry Goldsmith title, what are the most likely candidates for the next one?

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Since every Varese Club batch so far this year has included a Jerry Goldsmith title, what are the most likely candidates for the next one?

Presumably...NON-Jerry Goldsmith? :D 

But this has been an insane time for Goldsmith releases unlike any other in history, so who knows? (I know nothing about this imminent batch, but -- and I can't believe I'm saying this -- I would welcome a momentary respite from Goldsmith expansions personally!)

That said, the Varese-controlled Goldsmith titles I most want expanded are: The Other, Medicine Man, Mom and Dad Save the World, Our Man Flint, and (the partially rejected) Love Field.

See more, including fun custom cover mock-ups of the possiblities, here in this FSM thread from last year:

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=140019&forumID=1&archive=0

Yavar

I think I remember hearing there was some cool music in Medicine Man that wasn't on the OST album

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think I remember hearing there was some cool music in Medicine Man that wasn't on the OST album

About 15 min of music in the film that's unreleased on album...and of course it's all good -- it's Medicine Man!:

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=109823&forumID=1&archive=0

Yavar

Timeline would complete the expanded trio of his final 3 scores.

Hollow Man or The 13th Warrior would be 2 other choices.

I’m hoping it’s something I don’t want, since I bought a bunch of stuff at Intrada (Land Before Time, Mummy, Mummy Returns) last week and now I’m dropping money for Images and Always.

make an all-Goldsmith batch, Varese.  Don’t let me down!

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I’m hoping it’s something I don’t want, since I bought a bunch of stuff at Intrada (Land Before Time, Mummy, Mummy Returns) last week and now I’m dropping money for Images and Always.

make an all-Goldsmith batch, Varese.  Don’t let me down!

You mean "Let me down!"?