The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

I love how prolific all the labels have been so far this year.  It's like covid-delayed titles and titles that would have been out now anyway are all coming out at once and giving us more to talk about than usual.  

Can't wait for the clues for these!  They usually get posted on Wednesdays, I think?

On 4/7/2021 at 1:59 PM, Jay said:

May be an image of 1 person and text

COMING SOON: We're excited to announce seven amazing soundtrack LPs on Record Store Day 2021’s newly announced release dates: The Matrix will be released as a deluxe 3-LP set, Village of the Damned will be released as a deluxe-edition double LP, The Iron Giant and The Goonies will get the picture disc treatment, and Shrek, Ghost of Mars, and Aliens will be released as limited-edition color LPs. This annual celebration will be held through a series of Record Store Day drops, which will occur on June 12th and July 17th. Visit recordstoreday.com to locate your local independent retailer.

THE MATRIX: The Complete Edition – Don Davis (3-LP Set) – *RELEASE DATE: JUNE 12th*
The science-fiction masterpiece has captured the imagination of another generation with news of a new Matrix film in production. This deluxe 3-LP set is pressed on Glitter-Infused Green vinyl, expanded to 44 tracks, and housed in a stunning new art design. Also included are classic film stills and an exclusive new interview with composer Don Davis.

THE GOONIES – David Grusin (Picture Disc) – *RELEASE DATE: JUNE 12TH*
In celebration of the 35th anniversary of The Goonies, the beloved soundtrack by Dave Grusin will be released on an LP picture disc for the first time ever! The special release features the album cover on side A and the infamous One-Eyed Willie on side B. The track listing to this abbreviated single-disc version of the original score was personally selected and assembled by Grusin himself. 

VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED: The Deluxe Edition – John Carpenter & Dave Davies (2-LP Set) – *RELEASE DATE: JUNE 12TH*
The Deluxe Edition for Village of the Damned presents the full score as heard in the film for the first time, a far more complete presentation than the 1995 Original Soundtrack which was not only truncated but made of an entirely separate mix that wasn’t featured in the film. The set does, however, include the track “Midwich Shuffle,” a fun number which was created specifically for the 1995 soundtrack, despite never actually appearing in the film. Interest in John Carpenter’s original film scores has never been higher, and his collaboration with Dave Davies of the Kinks is a one-of-a-kind moment in cinematic music history. The album includes all-new original art direction with new notes and classic film stills and comes pressed on Orange Haze vinyl. 

SHREK – Harry Gregson-Williams & John Powell (Limited-Edition Color LP) – *RELEASE DATE: JUNE 12TH*
Shrek is the second most successful animated franchise in history and celebrating its 20th anniversary in 2021. Harry Gregson-Williams and John Powell are two of the most prominent composers working on animated features today, and they joined forces to create a score that is still as fun and memorable as it was when it was first released. The LP will be released on Neon Green vinyl, making it a standout addition to any record lover’s collection.

THE IRON GIANT – Michael Kamen (Picture Disc) – *RELEASE DATE: JULY 17TH*
This first-ever picture disc of this heartwarming 1999 animated film celebrates The Robot, his best friend, Hogarth, and a cast of characters. The music is by Academy Award®-nominated composer Michael Kamen (Lethal Weapon, Die Hard), who was well-known for his work with Eric Clapton, Metallica and Pink Floyd, in addition to his brilliant theatrical scores.

GHOST OF MARS – John Carpenter (Limited-Edition Color LP) – *RELEASE DATE: JULY 17TH*
In celebration of Ghost of Mars’ 20th anniversary, the epic soundtrack will be released on “Red Planet” vinyl. John Carpenter recruited an unbelievable cast of musicians to record the soundtrack to this sci-fi horror film, starring Ice Cube and Natasha Henstridge. Among the featured players are GRAMMY®-winning musician Steve Vai, most of the heavy metal band Anthrax (including Scott Ian), Elliot Eason of the rock band The Cars, Buckethead of Guns N’ Roses, and Robin Finck of Nine Inch Nails and Guns N’ Roses. This soundtrack is apocalyptic and an important mark in John Carpenter’s unparalleled career as a director and composer. 

ALIENS: 35th Anniversary Edition – James Horner (Limited-Edition Color LP) – *RELEASE DATE: JULY 17TH*
Aliens is regarded as one of the greatest science fiction franchises of all-time. In honor of its 35th anniversary, the long out-of-print original soundtrack gets a fresh reboot on Acid-Blood Yellow-Green vinyl.  The soundtrack is scored by the great Academy Award®-winning composer James Horner (Titanic, Avatar, Beautiful Mind). The LP features the original Sigourney Weaver key art and original film stills.

Unboxing video:

Clues have arrived

Here are your clues for this week’s CD Club releases. Do you have what it takes to crack the code and get the coveted “good job” reply from the Varèse admin?

196155344_1714058588786419_8710587123998

195909623_1714058592119752_2489864472535

https://www.facebook.com/varesesarabanderecords/posts/1714059428786335

So I guess that's The Matrix and The Hollow Man?

Hollow Man and The Matrix?

Varese did release an lp from the film Hackers last year. Maybe the clue is for that.

I know what it's not: a John Williams score.

Hollow Man and the Matrix seems to be great contenders and both terrific releases.

It's a bit of a long shot but the first one could be Panic Room, although I don't know if it's really possible

Or Brainstorm for the second one. I don't think so, but it would be absurd if this time it actually turned out to be that and we never even brought it up.

43 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Or Brainstorm for the second one. I don't think so, but it would be absurd if this time it actually turned out to be that and we never even brought it up.

Yeah, I also was thinking of Brainstorm, only because the puzzle piece was missing his head as opposed to another part of his body

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

FWIW Getty Image's title for the second picture is "Doctor Putting Human Puzzle Together"

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/photo/doctor-putting-human-puzzle-together-royalty-free-image/514409285

I was looking for some medicine related pictures and it came up tied to an article about neurodegenerative diseases. And I thought since half a Club logo was blue and Varese released the album, Deep Blue Sea must be the title. Given that it is about genetically engineered sharks developed to find a cure for Alzheimer's. 

It could also be John Powell's Paycheck as the puzzle motif appears on soundtrack's cover. 

Karol

Paycheck would be great, it's one of the first scores that made me think John Powell was a pretty great composer. It's more fully orchestral than the Bourne scores but isn't too MV in style. The two Hog Chase cues are terrific action set pieces.

Another silly reason why I think the first one would be The Matrix is because of the hammer. I remember that I first watched it at the age of 14-15 me and my mate were making fun of the score saying that it was just this guy banging on a radiator with a hammer. Oh how my musical tastes have (d)evolved since then. 😆😆😆

Karol

I really like those Paycheck tracks that were posted. I am curious as to what the exact contents will be if it actually is that score, since the bootleg/s are among some of the more extensive leaks, with quite a few suites/ideas and alts.

The jigsaw puzzle is being completed.

He is completing him.

"You complete me" said the man...

Jerry McGuire?!😗

I might rebuy the ost of PAYCHECK- unless-  a new version really adds ALOT of ESSENTIAL material

23 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I might rebuy the ost of PAYCHECK- unless-  a new version really adds ALOT of ESSENTIAL material

Well, Rachel's Theme (heard in string quartet in Rachel's Party) is IMO one of Powell's most beautiful works ever, and there is a TON more variation on it in the complete score.

40 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

The Matrix and Paycheck it is then. Awesome batch!

Truth! Varese has been really knocking it out of the park with Club titles this year!

Yavar

It's amazing what can happen when a producer more interested in throwing concerts leaves, and a producer interested in working on the titles in Varese's perpetuity catalog comes in... 

3 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Well, Rachel's Theme (heard in string quartet in Rachel's Party) is IMO one of Powell's most beautiful works ever, and there is a TON more variation on it in the complete score.

Good piece ; a bit derivative of Michael Nyman

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm amazing what one producer more interested in throwing concerts leaving, and a producer coming in interested in releasing everything in Varesese's perpetuity, can do ...

Eh...I still think Varese did pretty well during the Townson era...after all in his last year there we got awesome Deluxe Editions of Dracula and The Cowboys by Williams, Small Soldiers by Goldsmith, and On Deadly Ground and Under Siege 2 by Poledouris, among others. All very treasured albums by me. I mean, would I have loved if they did this Two Club Titles Every 4-6 Weeks thing? For sure. But they were hardly The Dark Years or something. :) (Except occasionally when it came to brickwall mastering... poor Gremlins 2, Runaway, and Peggy Sue Got Married...)

8 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Good piece ; a bit derivative of Michael Nyman

I can hear what you're thinking of when it comes to the string quartet arrangement, but when it comes to how that theme is treated throughout most of the score proper, I don't hear the similarity to Nyman (whose music I love, by the way).

Yavar

33 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm amazing what one producer more interested in throwing concerts leaving, and a producer coming in interested in releasing everything in Varesese's perpetuity, can do ...

Not from Brainstorm's POV… ;) 

Well they're not going to be able to do all at once are they. I'm waiting, slightly patiently, for Dante's Peak to be freed from its 30-minute horror show - a score apparently deemed unworthy by Townson, along with Brainstorm.

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

Another silly reason why I think the first one would be The Matrix is because of the hammer. ... 😆😆😆

Karol

But, isn't he driving a stake?

Hints at something vampirical.

What film contains Dracula and computers?

INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE?