The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

It's gotta be Dante's Peak, nothing else makes sense.

Wow, were Sleepy Hollow, Ghostbusters 2, and Dante's Peak literally your top 3 grails?  That's amazing to get all 3 so quickly!

What rounds out your top 5?  Just so I know what to expect in the coming months :p

Sleepy Hollow wasn't on top, but it was in my general 'grail' list. I actually can't find my list right now... :P 

Gladiator would also be on there; Spidey 3 sort of is but I don't listen to that as much these days. I'm very happily running out of grails!

55 minutes ago, Amer said:

There is unused music, alternates and few action cues missing from LOVE FIELD. Doug Fake talked about it on FSM years ago. 

Originally it was Roger, though Doug chimed in with some great stuff later:

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7704

This is actually my most-wanted Goldsmith expansion, because the score went substantially unused in the film (where there is still some great unreleased music to be heard) and the CD was only 29 minutes!

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Since they started these picture clues, I've been pondering how they would do DP without just showing a volcano or a rock. This is very clever if we're right.

Agreed. IMO this is Varese's most brilliant (and hilarious) clue image, yet.

Yavar

If it's Dante's Peak, that is a special one for me. Just so happened that I saw that movie around the time when I really started noticing film music and wanting to hear more of it. There's something about the main theme that stuck with me, and the OST was one of the first film score CDs I bought.

Exactly the same for me - I found the main title track during my very first days of discovering scores and I hooked onto the score heard in the film immediately. I'm a sufficiently big fan of the music in the film that I also tracked down the trailer music, the parade source music, and the bar source (last one's not hard - it's on IMDB)

The album is terrible - anyone basing their opinion of the score on that alone will be disappointed. Silvestri did a far better job making a half hour of Volcano.

First one is probably Love Field but I secretly hope that it's CMIYC

Dante's Peak seems to be a nice options for the second one. Certainly one of Varèse's cleverest clue if it's turns out to be true

2 hours ago, Kühni said:

If it's Dante's Peak...then it makes for one of the only two intersections between my profession (volcanologist) and my hobby (film music). Rock on... :up:

Mount Doom doesn't count? ;)

11 minutes ago, Kühni said:

And, @Permanent Waves, you might have a point there...weirdly enough, Orodruin changed shaped and behaviour between the movies, which is something that always rankled me... :puh:

It changes as the Ring draws closer.

It doesn't make sense, but its all I got!! ;)

Googling Love Field, that hint image is the first image that appears. I've had the original soundtrack since around the time of its release... never seen the movie, so I had no idea Love Field was the name of an airport. The last track on the soundtrack is one of my favorite Goldsmith piece, and I think as others have said, a significant amount of music has yet to be released. 

12 hours ago, Jay said:

The first picture is of Dallas Love Field.  So, the title is probably the 1992 Jerry Goldsmith score to Love Field

Love to be the smartass here, it's rather from 1990/91, the movie was shelved a long time.

Yeah, Dracula was a rare exception because they mysteriously had the tapes in their possession. Otherwise I think the last time they expanded a score they didn’t have perpetuity rights for was… the Stargate Deluxe Edition?

Yavar

There's a list here of every Club title they released from 2011 through the middle of 2017.  Are any of those ones that they don't own perpetuity rights to?

9 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Dracula is the only example of a time they produced a Deluxe Edition of a title they didn't hold in perpetuity.

And it was in my opinion the best set they ever did with a great artwork by Titus. Which leads me to ask: Why did Varèse has never made other artworks like this one? Was there a peculiar reason leading them to do it on this set?

13 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

And it was in my opinion the best set they ever did with a great artwork by Titus. Which leads me to ask: Why did Varèse has never made other artworks like this one? Was there a peculiar reason leading them to do it on this set?

Yes, it was requested by someone from Williams camp. 

Karol

1 hour ago, Holko said:

They should be more insistent with a certain other label!

As much as I adore Intrada, they have had deficient artworks in the past. I have nothing against modernizing the fonts a bit and keeping the original artwork, like they did with War of the Worlds. However, there have been many artworks now with technical slips which indicate either time pressure or dilettantism. The missing foot from The Eiger Sanction or the green vertical line on the left from Extreme Prejudice, just to mention two recent examples.

1 minute ago, Brundlefly said:

I have nothing against modernizing the fonts a bit and keeping the original artwork, like they did with War of the Worlds.

But imagine a new Titus WotW cover!

I have always been appreciating the different styles from the different labels, but you know an objective fuck-up is what it is... and of course Titus would have nailed it!

By the way, @Jay, you know whether it's possible to ask Jim Titus to upload the booklet covers of A.I. and Superman?:D

Hmm I feel like the AI booklet cover was posted somewhere? Maybe my main page interview with Mike about it? 

Maybe Superman is on his Behance page? 

For most batches, I appreciate that custom service by others.

Easier said than done though when one of the releases is probably a grail, but could be something else, given Varese's idea of clues.

21 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I miss the midnight announcements I'm sure Varese used to do :(  (or was that LLL's BF? I dunno...)

The suspense is causing some discomfort.

Yeah, it used to be midnight PT. Now it’s 12:00 noon PT, I think.

For some reason Lionheart and Knowing dropped early, they were available when I woke up that morning. 

15 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

So... do they own Damien?

Not sure. I'm sure they don't own the original album recording, which they would have sub-licensed. But it's possible that when they did their Deluxe Edition premiering the original film recording, they got perpetuity rights to the film recording at that point, just like they got perpetuity rights for all the new music they premiered on Planet of the Apes (so that LLL had to license from them if they didn't want to just reissue the original album).

On the other hand, when they did non-Club (therefore not "limited") Deluxe Editions of stuff like Stargate and Poltergeist II, they clearly didn't get any sort of perpetuity deal (not even on the previously unreleased music they premiered) because LLL was able to revisit the former in a two-disc set and Kritzerland and Intrada were able to revisit the latter in two- and three-disc sets, respectively.

Varese can be inconsistent at times. Usually they got perpetuity rights for stuff they released in the 90s, but sometimes there were exceptions (sometimes depending on studio, which is how Quartet was able to release definitive versions of Total Recall and Basic Instinct). Apparently among all the Patrick Doyle albums they did in the early-mid 90s, the only one they control in perpetuity is Carlito's Way (god we need a Deluxe Edition of that!) which is why LLL was able to expand Dead Again. LLL was also able to expand Pet Sematary by Goldenthal, and I think maybe Disney wasn't granting perpetuity rights to Varese in the 90s because Intrada was able to expand Iron Will.

Usually for their explicitly limited Club titles, Varese didn't bother to get perpetuity rights (if you license 3000 and tell people you aren't going to make any more, why would you bother with perpetuity rights?) That's why LLL was able to (slightly) expand Magic, for instance. But then there's a case like The Ballad of Cable Hogue, where Varese continues to be able to sell it digitally years later and it seems like they control it. So there are many exceptions and it's kinda messy.

8 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Yet at the time I remember a TON of people complaining about Titus's work on the Dracula artwork! Many people didn't like how Dracula himself was made smaller and moved off-center compared to the original cover image. And others wondered why the young lady's clothing disappeared...

41P038QQYRL.jpg

DraculaSlip_720x.jpg?v=1570302012

I'm a big Titus fan too... just sayin'.

Yavar