The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

With Varese's recent tidal wave of deluxifications, I went and found all of their DEs that I've picked up over the years, to remind myself.

At one end, I bought Nightwing based entirely on my rather liking the samples on their website - I've never seen the film, nor heard anything else by Mancini. And I got lucky - I love it. The other end of the scale being Dante's Peak, which I still can't quite believe is in that pile.

And whether that copy of Starship Troopers is defective.... no idea :P I have two identical copies.

The only other potential DEs I can immediately think of that I'd also buy would be I, Robot and Ice Age.

20210903_231349.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/07/2021 at 12:45 PM, Ollie said:

Varese is teasing this for Friday.

The Crow?

On 15/07/2021 at 10:56 AM, Jay said:

CD edition now available too

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/graeme-revell-the-crow-original-score-deluxe-edition-2-cd

• 1 month later...

Ah excellent news - knew there had to be one last batch on the way :) 

Of course we now have two days of completely uninformed speculation before Weds. And yes, hopefully means Dante and Love Field will be on digital soon.

Sweet, I had just checked Varese's Facebook page before lunch, thinking there was probably going to be announcement of more Club titles either this Monday or one Monday soon

As always, I hope for Horner's Brainstorm, Goldsmith's Medicine Man, and Shaiman's City Slickers!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Shaiman's City Slickers!

Is that a score you're a particular fan of? I see you mention it rather a lot.

I think the only ones left for me are I, Robot, Ice Age, and I'll pick up 13th Warrior when they get round to it. It's a glowing indication of how much Bryon & co have been on fire the last few years.

Edit - oh, forgot Sphere too, but I guess that it being Goldenthal and WB, that's not happening any time soon...

57 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh yea, I love it!

Since you're such a big fan of the score, can you speak about some of the unreleased music, especially if there are any unreleased highlight cues in the movie you can point to longing for, on a hypothetical future expanded release?

Yavar

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Do the Varese Club pre-announcements always use such a prominent colour gradient, or is that a first clue?

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat is definitely somebody's grail

On 03/09/2021 at 11:19 PM, Richard Penna said:

With Varese's recent tidal wave of deluxifications, I went and found all of their DEs that I've picked up over the years, to remind myself.

At one end, I bought Nightwing based entirely on my rather liking the samples on their website - I've never seen the film, nor heard anything else by Mancini. And I got lucky - I love it. The other end of the scale being Dante's Peak, which I still can't quite believe is in that pile.

And whether that copy of Starship Troopers is defective.... no idea :P I have two identical copies.

The only other potential DEs I can immediately think of that I'd also buy would be I, Robot and Ice Age.

20210903_231349.jpg

NIGHTWING is my favourite Mancini score, bar none.

Clues

And here they are, your clues for the final CD Club titles of the year. Let's see if you can crack these and win the respect of the Varèse admin.

May be an image of furniture, indoor and text

May be an image of 1 person and indoor

https://www.facebook.com/varesesarabanderecords/posts/1832717393587204

Debney's Elf and Badalamenti's Blue Velvet?

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2021/09/14/blue-velvet-deluxe-edition-soundtrack-announced/

"Elf on the Shelf" was the only thing I could think of that a shelf would represent

If it's just supposed to be a photo of something not being visible, could it be Goldsmith's Hollow Man or Walker's Memoirs of an Invisible Man?

Is there a scene with a shelf in either flick?

Well if it's not Elf, I have no clue.

The other one sounds like either Hollow Man or Blue Velvet. I can happily stay out of of the hype this time, as I'm not interested in any of these. (I'd buy one track from Hollow digitally)

A shelf is used to put things on right? Music fan put CD on them right? So this is a way to tell us to buy a big shelf because the whole Star Wars Collection is coming, can't see another explanation

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

"Elf on the Shelf" was the only thing I could think of that a shelf would represent

If it's just supposed to be a photo of something not being visible, could it be Goldsmith's Hollow Man or Walker's Memoirs of an Invisible Man?

Is there a scene with a shelf in either flick?

Shirley Walker's Memoirs of an Invisible Man would be VERY welcome.  Great score.

Some of the suggestions particularly on FB have been rather amusing (for lots of batches, not just this one), partly as they're not controlled by Varese, but also as some of them are extremely recent scores which wouldn't be on anyone's radar for expansion. Zimmer's Inferno was mentioned a lot for the last batch. I think some people are taking the guessing a bit too literally, and not connecting the dots with Varese's back catalogue.

30 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

The existing album is barely half an hour. I’d definitely be up for more of this important Shirley Walker orchestral score!

Yavar

Of course you would!😄

What would a DELUXE

BLUE VELVET contain?

9 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

What would a DELUXE

BLUE VELVET contain?

3 hours ago, Jay said:

The shelf picture is obviously AN UNFINISHED LIFE by Deborah Lurie

I might get BV if it has lots of cool , atmospheric Badalamenti.

Like TWIN PEAKS .

I have not seen the film but I only watched a few eps of TP and still bought the ost.

I already have the title instrumental and the fantastic " Mysteries of Love" song. Never felt the need for the complete ost

Blue Velvet is probably the closest thing to original series Twin Peaks that Badalamenti has written for Lynch.  Maybe even closer than what he wrote for Fire Walk With Me.  The Straight Story is probably their best collaboration though.

Hard to believe that there aren’t full score albums for Wild at Heart and Lost Highway yet…maybe there isn’t that much.  Have to watch those movies again someday

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Townson had previously nixed either Love Field or Dante's Peak?  Which one, and why?  And how do we know this?

Yeah I knew about Brainstorm (though I'm still clueless as to why) but this is the first I've heard of him actively nixing either of those. My guess is Dante's Peak, because when I interviewed him years ago he clearly had affection for Love Field and really regretted having to leave the lengthy Lost Luggage sequence off the album due to re-use fee time constraints. Since that was one of the shortest (if not THE shortest) original Goldsmith Varese albums (only 28.5 minutes), I'd be shocked if he was opposed to expanding it.

Yavar

55 minutes ago, Jay said:

Townson had previously nixed either Love Field or Dante's Peak?  Which one, and why?  And how do we know this?

Oh, Dante's Peak. I thought people would remember this exchange: (edit: ok, it's from a year and a half ago... maybe not :P )