The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

I think it's The Iron Giant too.

The Eiffel tower is made of iron, so its an iron giant.  And the original post said both titles were "big"

The second one might be HTTYD2, if Back Lot Records teamed up with Varese to make it happen, instead of doing it internally?  Like, the physical edition will be by Varese, but the only digital purchase / streaming version will be by Back Lot?

This is what happened with Randy Edelman's Backdraft 2 score; Back Lot Records released it on all digital platforms, and let Intrada Records release a physical CD version of it

Just now, Jay said:

I think it's The Iron Giant too.

The Eiffel tower is made of iron, so its an iron giant.  And the original post said both titles were "big"

The second one might be HTTYD2, IF Back Lot Records teamed up with Varese to make it happen, instead of doing it internally?  Like, the physical edition will be by Varese, but the only digital purchase / streaming version will be by Back Lot?

Is there actually much missing on Iron Giant? I don’t recall. I’d be up for that if it is as it’s one of my favourite Kamen scores.

2 minutes ago, Smaug The Iron said:

Well 

To be fair, it could be coming from Back Lot Music on Friday, completely unrelated to Varese's club batch.

But yea, it's looking like I was right about it being a pair-up dealy where Back Lot and Varese teamed up together to make it happen.

Bummer.

Two titles I have no interest in .

HTTYD2 s wonderful but I don't need another version.

TIG is a good score although it was mostly ghost written by others.

The track on the VS collection will satisfy me.

8 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Is there actually much missing on Iron Giant?

The answers are here:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33956-michael-kamens-the-iron-giant-in-full-score

Based on the second post in that thread, there are a lot of cues that weren't on the OST!

That must be one of the fastest clue solvings ever!

I have no interest in more music from TIG (I barely listen to the OST) but bring on HTTYD 2!

If Back Lot are handling it digitally, I wonder if it means it'll be on digital services on Friday alongside Varese's release. It would be nice to not have to wait until next Tues/Weds to hear it.

Also surprised that neither Love Field nor Dante's Peak are on digital. Perhaps issues with those two that didn't plague other recent club releases?

I appreciated the cheaper download for HTTYD1, since those scores never struck me the way they did all of you.  If the price is right on either side, I’ll pick it up.

The first clue really sounds like The Iron Giant and the second to HTTYD2.

However I don't know if it's just in France but usually when a kid lose his teeth we say that a little mouse (American talk about the tooth fairy I think) will come in the night to take them in exchange of sweets or money. So if not HTTYD2 I would think of Mouse Hunt by Silvestri

37 minutes ago, Jay said:

The answers are here:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33956-michael-kamens-the-iron-giant-in-full-score

Based on the second post in that thread, there are a lot of cues that weren't on the OST!

Aha cool. I must have missed that one. Thanks. 

36 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

That must be one of the fastest clue solvings ever!

I have no interest in more music from TIG (I barely listen to the OST) but bring on HTTYD 2!

If Back Lot are handling it digitally, I wonder if it means it'll be on digital services on Friday alongside Varese's release. It would be nice to not have to wait until next Tues/Weds to hear it.

Also surprised that neither Love Field nor Dante's Peak are on digital. Perhaps issues with those two that didn't plague other recent club releases?

I will probably get HTTYD2 on cd if the option is available. However I’ve been hanging on for digital version of Dante’s Peak so am also surprised it hasn’t appeared yet. I was fairly marginal on the original score so was happy to wait but now I’m getting impotent! Might have to order on cd with these new items. No doubt I’ll end up with three copies of the same thing. Their U.K. distribution people are lovely but a teeny bit hopeless!

I haven't seen Pee-wee's Big Adventure since I was a kid, but somebody posted that it has a scene set in France?

If that's true, then that could be the first title; The original clue did say both scores were "big" after all!

Plus there's the scene in the T. Rex head where Simone tells Pee-wee that her dream is to live in "the city of eternal love, Paris, France" and he encourages her to follow her dream.

Personally I think the tower itself being an "iron giant" makes that way more likely.

51 minutes ago, publicist said:

HTTYD2 already had a MORE THAN adequate release with almost 75 minutes on it. 

Since when does that matter to the C & C Crazies?!😵

46 minutes ago, Jay said:

I haven't seen Pee-wee's Big Adventure since I was a kid, but somebody posted that it has a scene set in France?

If that's true, then that could be the first title; The original clue did say both scores were "big" after all!

Well, I did point out this score just got listed on EBAY....

4 hours ago, publicist said:

HTTYD2 already had a MORE THAN adequate release with almost 75 minutes on it. 

Admittedly the OST for this one did a great job of picking the score’s highlights. It was also mastered better than the album for the first score. That said, based on the FYC I still think there’s room for improvement sonically and it’ll be nice to have the film mixes for all those cues that were missing instruments on the OST.

All this to say HTTYD 2 will be mine!!

Funny that both titles got revealed officially before Varese's official press release this time

Interesting dualities with this batch

-both score are for animated films

-both scores have had their sheet music published for study

-both releases were "spoiled" ahead of their own press release

Could we clear something up? Do UK orders come with additional customs fees when you order it in the EU? If so, what's the point of their international store? Their FAQ is not clear at all.

Yes it has, Amazon and other sites have signed up to an EU program that removes the customs clearance fees. So if you're not going to sign up to that system, why would I order in the UK instead of the US if import duties don't make any difference?

27 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Could we clear something up? Do UK orders come with additional customs fees when you order it in the EU? If so, what's the point of their international store? Their FAQ is not clear at all.

Just checked the International website... and I have to pay 16€ to ship to France! That sounds exaggerated...

On 09/03/2022 at 10:18 PM, bruce marshall said:

See the OMNI thread

Please link to the specific thread/post. Having worked with the handwritten manuscript (some of which is in Michael's own handwriting) and spoken extensively with the orchestrators, I'd love to see what's been said but can't find it. 

9 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Just checked the International website... and I have to pay 16€ to ship to France! That sounds exaggerated...

Gotta say that £23 for a double CD is pretty steep and the postage isn't cheap, but hey, this is one of my favourite scores so absolutely a price I'm willing to pay! Just lucky that we don't get hit with any kind of import taxes or duty in Guernsey (sorry everyone else).

37 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Yes they do, or at least they did last time I ordered there. As I recall, Varese opened the "international" store before Brexit, so they probably expected it to be a good base for Euro shipping. It isn't that now, unfortunately.

19 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Yes it has, Amazon and other sites have signed up to an EU program that removes the customs clearance fees. So if you're not going to sign up to that system, why would I order in the UK instead of the US if import duties don't make any difference?

Whatever programme Amazon has signed up to doesn't exactly *remove* the fees. Amazon simply handles them in advance and adds them to your original order total, so you know what you have to pay straight away and don't get any nasty surprises in the mail - and probably save on additional handling fees.

5 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Yes they do, or at least they did last time I ordered there. As I recall, Varese opened the "international" store before Brexit, so they probably expected it to be a good base for Euro shipping. It isn't that now, unfortunately.

[This by the way completely justified politico-economical rant has been removed has been removed due to violating forum rules]

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Whatever programme Amazon has signed up to doesn't exactly *remove* the fees. Amazon simply handles them in advance and adds them to your original order total, so you know what you have to pay straight away and don't get any nasty surprises in the mail - and probably save on additional handling fees.

It's great that we all get to live under the auspices of global capitalism where big businesses can make so much money trading all over the world yet god forbid a consumer might want to buy something they can't get locally for, in the grand scheme of thing, a vanishingly small amount of money, and ends up having to spend over the odds to get it.

21 minutes ago, chrissiddall said:

Please link to the specific thread/post. Having worked with the handwritten manuscript (some of which is in Michael's own handwriting) and spoken extensively with the orchestrators, I'd love to see what's been said but can't find it. 

Very interested to hear your comments
https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33956-michael-kamens-the-iron-giant-in-full-score-available-to-pre-order-now/#comment-1870690

10 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Oh lol, that's not an Omni thread.  Omni Music Publishing and Chris Siddall Music Publishing are two different companies. I should know! 

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

That means probably one Powell, I'm betting on Evolution

Pretty please yes.  Not much of note missing, but if nothing else just to get that fun score more exposure.

1 minute ago, May the Force be with You said:

Presumed Innocent?

That's what I'm thinking since we were teased on the latest LOJW preview for SpaceCamp they would be discussing SC as well as another score.

21 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Evolution indeed sounds like a strong contender, given Powell's announcement and the bottom colours.

Which leaves turquoise and black.... no idea.

having no idea the colors are actually part of the hints, but I'll go for I, Robot for turquoise and black

a wild guess: Blade II and whatever from Powell