The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

14 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

The pool pic is from THE PLAYER.

So, obviously its RUDY.

STOP OR MY MOM WILLSHOOT is the other one

Is BLADE a VS title?

one knife, two people in the pic, so it gotta be Blade 2!

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

We like the score to Blade 2 now?

A Beltrami score for Del Toro film? What’s not to like? I thought it was Isham’s score for the original that was more mixed in people’s estimation…

Yavar

I’ve never heard a Beltrami score I particularly cared for.  The only of his scores I ever listen to is Scream 1, purely out of nostalgia for the film.

32 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

. Same goes for Isham.

You're dead to me!

Could the first one be THE PAPER CHASE?!

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Can't remember that any of them stood out.

MIMIC is superb

The original album for Goldsmith’s Love Field was longer in playtime than his music in the film, and the subsequent Varese Deluxe Edition DOUBLED the playtime (not including the extras/music by another composer!)

So yeah, who knows?

Yavar

13 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

No one’s done a detailed breakdown to figure that out yet, as far as I can tell.

The soundtrack is 6 minutes longer than the amount of music in the film (44 minutes vs. 38 minutes). However, the Angela’s Ashes OST is longer than the amount of score in the film, and that score still has a decent amount of unreleased material, not even counting what alternates might exist.

I found some cue titles that are not on the soundtrack. However, they could still be present in tracks that combine two or more cues:

That looks about right; those were the same titles that I discovered on GEMA a while back. One thing missing from that list is the source cue heard when Rusty's boss throws a farewell party after losing the election

BLADE Runner?

The woman is running away from a blade....

The passing of musicians ofen  leads to posthumous releases ( e.g. GBU on Quartet)

LEVIATHAN just got listed on EBAY!

That's gotta be the title

8 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

BLADE Runner?

The woman is running away from a blade....

The passing of musicians ofen  leads to posthumous releases ( e.g. GBU on Quartet)

LEVIATHAN just got listed on EBAY!

That's gotta be the title

Uh no chance.

I can't help thinking that neither the colours nor the picture clue were quite there with Presumed. I was sure it would be one of the Blade scores.

Nice to see it finally out though for those who want it.

Oof Bourne doesn’t even come close to replacing the OST. All 4 theme arrangements and the end credits are missing, as is the fantastic unused car chase cue. "Bourne Remembers" may be missing as well.

EDIT: On further inspection, Bourne Remembers may be included in "Conklin Killed." I'm still really bummed about the car chase though.

I'm sure I must've had some of Bourne Identity in my collection at some point (the OST track titles are too familiar) but I evidently decided it wasn't for me. The only Bourne cues in my collection are Atonement from Supremacy and Tangiers from Ultimatum.

A few other cues from the sequels are sort of interesting, but not enough for any routine listening, although I appear to have Ultimatum on CD.

I've never seen Presumed Innocent so I think I found its overall tone to dark and depressing. The main theme is nice though. Is that the only Williams in Varese perpetuity?

I do not understand how their clue was supposed to point anyone towards Presumed Innocent.  If Maurizio hadn't teased another Williams release was coming real soon last week, I'm not sure if anybody would have guessed it based solely on that image

Since a man holding a knife at a woman trapped in a basement with cowboy boots on has nothing to do with the plot of or any scene in Presumed Innocent, I'm not sure how you can say that

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Since a man holding a knife at a woman trapped in a basement with cowboy boots on has nothing to do with the plot of or any scene in Presumed Innocent, I'm not sure how you can say that

They Just  used a basic concept. Any thing else would have been more specific and too easy. 

26 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I've never seen Presumed Innocent so I think I found its overall tone to dark and depressing. The main theme is nice though. Is that the only Williams in Varese perpetuity?

It was the only remaining unexpanded Williams in Varese perpetuity, yes. But Varese still controls in perpetuity other ones they've already expanded (The Cowboys, most notably, but also Stanley & Iris and maybe a couple more, I forget).

Yavar

The only John Williams scores Varese has perpetuity rights to are The Cowboys, Stanley & Iris, and Presumed Innocent.

Always updated resource for this kind of info: https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32706-john-williams-scores-by-music-label/

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

The only John Williams scores Varese has perpetuity rights to are The Cowboys, Stanley & Iris, and Presumed Innocent.

Always updated resource for this kind of info: https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32706-john-williams-scores-by-music-label/

Yes, Once I heard that another was coming in the podcast.I just waited to see which label it would be and suddenly Varese made the announcement and PI immediately came to mind because of the Perpetuity rights . The clue was the final and obvious clue to me. 

I never said it didn't make sense to guess it after we heard Maurizio's tease, I said

49 minutes ago, Jay said:

If Maurizio hadn't teased another Williams release was coming real soon last week, I'm not sure if anybody would have guessed it based solely on that image

Ordered both new releases and availed myself of their sale as well.  Lots of scores I’ve liked in movies/shows, or from composers I’ve liked but have never picked up for $5 each!

Yes I am quite impressed with the sale here!  So many scores available for $5!

I would just like to say about Bourne: I was RIGHT!

No, but seriously, I'm pretty damn thrilled that for 2 years running now, when Powell's asked "What expanded albums you you want next?", the ones I suggest (Paycheck last year and Identity this year) have been what's come to fruition.

43 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes I am quite impressed with the sale here!  So many scores available for $5!

And the excellent DELUXE EDITIONS of Robocop 3 (Poledouris), Looney Tunes: Back in Action (Goldsmith), Babe (Westlake), and Wild Wild West (Bernstein) are all under $10! (Sad that they apparently didn't sell better, but AMAZING deals for all three.)

Yavar

Those prices are quite something for a lot of those titles. Unfortunately club releases are sporadic enough that I either want a title or I don't - a half price discount isn't going to sway me.

58 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

And the excellent DELUXE EDITIONS of Robocop 3 (Poledouris), Looney Tunes: Back in Action (Goldsmith), ...Wild Wild West (Bernstein) are all under $10! (Sad that they apparently didn't sell better...

Yavar

Maybe,they would have if they were more listener friendly...

?😗

1 minute ago, bruce marshall said:

Maybe,they would have if they were more listener friendly...

?😗

If you mean leaving out music, no I'm sure that would not have helped sales.

And I don't understand how having fewer tracks is "listener friendly" -- can you hear it when a track change happens?

Yavar

19 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

If you mean leaving out music, no I'm sure that would not have helped sales.

And I don't understand how having fewer tracks is "listener friendly" -- can you hear it when a track change happens?

Yavar

10 good tracks is more entertaining than 10 good and 10 mediocre tracks.

Oh god, please don't combine tracks unnecessarily! Don't remove choice from the listener! I HATE it when expanded releases have a 5 minute track that consists of 3 cues, only 1 of which is worth listening to regularly. 

I rarely want to listen to all the music from a score, but I sure want it all upfront so I can decide what makes the final cut.