The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

• 1 month later...

Via FACEBOOK page Announcement :

Two exciting CD Clubs are headed your way this Friday. Here are your hints, let's see if you can crack these.

FB_IMG_1668623540290.jpg

FB_IMG_1668623534971.jpg

Here's the source:

https://twitter.com/VareseSarabande/status/1592946886574755840

or

https://www.facebook.com/varesesarabanderecords/posts/pfbid0pHkdnGdQUR3uKX7LCWpkComiiYTMd8mbggxuroNaFQ4BobV46kfCgu8DbRoBtUdTl

Neither image seems to line up with my own most wanted Varese expansions (Brainstorm, To Die For, Instinct, Medicine Man, Hudson Hawk, Italian Job, Mouse Hunt)

Looking at at the list of titles that Varese has perpetuity rights to,

Maybe the top image is Father of the Bride?

Maybe the bottom image is LA Confidential?

17 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Second one. But, to be honest, it's not really what "pay it forward" means. So probably not.

Karol

Pay it forward means that when someone does something for you, instead of paying them back, you pay it 'forward' and do something nice for someone else, creating a chain of goodness :) 

The movie's good but the score is Newman at his most experimental and would not be on anyone's list for expansion.

Google detects the first image (from a Korean stock image site) as (converted to English) "parents mirror their children" and the second one as "attorney and client confidentiality".

Second one as Jay speculated is probably LA Confidential. Not idea for the first one.

27 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

parents mirror their children

Any films out there with this theme that Varese released the OST album for?

But in the picture the child is acting like the adult

I actually thought of Mini Me for that image, and thought Varese had released some combo album of score from the first 2 Austin Powers films, but my memory was wrong and it was actually released by RCA Victor

Maybe a reissue or a re-do of Beltrami’s “Mimic?” The original was limited to only 1K copies, and it was reissued in the larger horror box a few years back, but maybe it’s time to come out again on its own?

22 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Maybe a reissue or a re-do of Beltrami’s “Mimic?” The original was limited to only 1K copies, and it was reissued in the larger horror box a few years back, but maybe it’s time to come out again on its own?

I'm pretty sure the Mimic DE was incomplete (somebody correct me if I'm wrong)... on at least two occasions Varese has done a second, bigger expansion of an earlier Deluxe Edition (The Omen and The Matrix).

Yavar

45 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

on at least two occasions Varese has done a second, bigger expansion of an earlier Deluxe Edition (The Omen and The Matrix).

They also included more cues from Scream 1 and 2 that weren't on their initial Deluxe Editions, in the Scream boxset. 

And they did The Cowboys twice, which is a score thay had no OST album so its basically two different catalog approaches

1 minute ago, Yavar Moradi said:

And even more needed: Gremlins 2 and Peggy Sue Got Married DEs

I didn't know those were incomplete! 

13 hours ago, Jay said:

They also included more cues from Scream 1 and 2 that weren't on their initial Deluxe Editions, in the Scream boxset. 

Huh! I didn't realize! I did recall that for one of the Scream scores that original short twofer album had some cue that wasn't included on the initial DE...

13 hours ago, Jay said:

And they did The Cowboys twice, which is a score that had no OST album so its basically two different catalog approaches

I mean, the original one was only a half hour album still because of reuse fees or whatever, and it basically served as an OST just long after the film came out.

13 hours ago, Jay said:

I didn't know those were incomplete! 

They aren't but they have terrible brickwall mastering (courtesy of Erick Labson I think) and they sound far worse than the original issues. Raggedy Man (the Encore Edition) has a milder version of this problem too...I'd gladly rebuy a chronological reissue with better sound of that too.

Yavar

47 minutes ago, ManofDestiny said:

What's missing from the DE?

One completely unreleased cue:

11M3    Zander and Carmen

8 alternates:

1M1AR    Bug Attack on Cameraman
2M1    Kiss In The Park
3M3R    Friends Forever
3M4    Transporting
4M2    Carmen's Shuttle Ride
8M3R    The Fleet Limps Home
10M2R Alt    Bugs!!!
11M1R    Whiskey Outpost Part 2
13M2    Captured Brainbug

And all the source music:

2M4    Touchdown
2M4A    Game Over
2M4B    Game Over
2M4C    Game Over
4M1A    Violin Piece
4M1B    Taps
9M2    Ace's Happy Dance
9M3    Ace's Serenade

9 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

I'm liking the frequency of these Varese Club releases lately.

11 hours ago, Amer said:

FB_IMG_1668623540290.jpg

frequency-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.

Could it be Frequency by Michael Kamen ?

There is zero reason to expect that tomorrow' CD version announcement will be any different than what they put up on digital/streaming sites

Here are some reasons:

1. In early 2018 Varese Sarabande ended the Encore Edition line in their limited Club series, and claimed they were done with straight reissues as Club titles. (This was also reiterated to me in further detail privately a couple years ago, when I brought up some things with Cary that I thought Varese should consider reissuing.)

2. Digital rights (and sometimes streaming rights specifically) are, simply put, different/distinct from CD rights. Look at the recent release of Silvestri's Death Becomes Her: The Deluxe Edition. CD only, while the simultaneous expansion of Silvestri's Tomb Raider - The Cradle of Life: The Deluxe Edition got premiered on CD and digital at the same time. The obvious reason why is that Varese's perpetuity agreement for one included digital rights and for the other it didn't.

3. Similarly, in the past Varese has reissued a classic album on LP, with no expansion, and then a little later released an expansion on CD (Rudy is one example, and I think The Iron Giant might be another?) -- again, different formats, different rules.

I'm not saying it's definite, but I think it's *possible* that Varese somehow had digital rights for the existing program of Mimic (released by them now twice on CD), but getting digital rights for the previously unreleased music was too expensive at this time (or something -- it could be that the studio was willing to grant digital rights when they produced their earlier expansion, but wasn't willing this time), and it could be a limited CD exclusive. Just speculation on my part, but it would be *extremely* strange for them to have a THIRD release of Mimic in the same expanded program as they released on CD twice before, as a new Club release...especially when there's a good chunk of music still missing (including a bit of music that was on the original short 90s album!)

Yavar

This Mimic cover looks like a double LP cover with two panels opening the face.
If it's the case, it's gonna be a nice object to own for the fans.

I'll pass on this one but I'm very interested in L.A. Confidential

31 minutes ago, Steffromuk said:

This Mimic cover looks like a double LP cover with two panels opening the face.
If it's the case, it's gonna be a nice object to own for the fans.

I'll pass on this one but I'm very interested in L.A. Confidential

Maybe releasing vinyl is the sore reason VS putting out Mimic again. This would explain the cover looking that way.