The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

6 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

This can't be just a vinyl release, this can't be.

Dreamt to be a Slacker, became an idol instead - Chapter 2 - Maxirueee ...

This score is too good to remain OOP forever

Is Starship Troopers OOP on CD or just between pressings?  I never got it. 

4 hours ago, Andy said:

Is Starship Troopers OOP on CD or just between pressings?  I never got it. 

Never got it? It’s the best album Varese ever produced!

6 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Never got it? It’s the best album Varese ever produced!

I know, I know. 

Im kicking myself because at the time, I didn’t want to know more. 

The Varese Club CD batch is coming very soon. They just confirmed on their facebook page to me. I wonder if they have also a CD reissue of STARSHIP TROOPERS as a surprise...

Screenshot_20230602_081407_Facebook.jpg

Gosh I sure hope so. I screwed up not picking it up. Sometimes in the hobby, I’m asleep at the wheel or my focus is ebbing away. 

The CD Club batch mentioned above will have two titles in it

Some of you folks with keen eyes may have spotted our newest series mentioned in our Starship Troopers announcement. We’d like to formally welcome you all to the Varèse Sarabande Vinyl Club, home of all the color vinyl exclusives we’ll have on our store moving forward. The Club requires no membership, only your dedication to the love of colored wax! Keep your eyes and ears peeled for more Vinyl Club colorways coming later this summer.

P.S: The Vinyl Club Blood & Bug Juice variant of the Starship Troopers LP may or may not be close to selling out, so you better act now or risk missing out on it forever.

Double P.S: This announcement does not mean we'll be neglecting your beloved CD Club. We've got tons of exciting new releases locked down for the rest of the year, and we'll be announcing our next pair very soon!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0AphAnZFLrLrJxgXFFvoEx34m8oXz1ujNYQBc1gQShECVTrF6o7hzCNwJbXGzgeDQl&id=100063509366371&mibextid=ZbWKwL

• 3 weeks later...

Yay :)  And back to normal guessing as Presto haven't ruined it this time, although no colour clue?

Whatever these are, they've taken Varese a lot of work as it will be only their second batch of the year.

How is it a “Club”?

I buy many of their Club releases yet I had to come here to see this announcement. 

Am I in the La-La Land Club?  What privileges do I enjoy being in the Quartet Records Club?

Intrada at least rewards you with loyalty points. 

Back in the day they had an actual club you had to join, and now they just re-use that name for their current program of catalog titles for whatever reason.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Back in the day they had an actual club you had to join, and now they just re-use that name for their current program of catalog titles for whatever reason.

Do you know how that worked? I.e. could you only find out about and purchase releases if you paid a fee and joined?

I don't think that would work nowadays as I doubt you'd find many people willing to just buy anything the label puts out to make it worth it.

I'm not sure what I'd like next from them actually - it's more which titles for which we have leaks/iso scores/etc, would be the most fun to see as a properly mastered and presented set - I, Robot, Ice Age, Sphere. I don't have a lot left that is actually completely unavailable. It would also be nice to have The 13th Warrior in nice remastered sound and whatever is missing.

3 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

If you're a penny pincher then you honestly have no business being a collector of any kind.

Nah. I’m not saying I’m cheap, I just like to see my money go as far as it can. 

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Do you know how that worked? I.e. could you only find out about and purchase releases if you paid a fee and joined?

I don't think that would work nowadays as I doubt you'd find many people willing to just buy anything the label puts out to make it worth it.

I don't think there was a fee to join, it was just that certain titles weren't sold in stores and you had to be on their physical mailing list to know about and purchase (by mailing a check). Pre-internet, obvs

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't think there was a fee to join, it was just that certain titles weren't sold in stores and you had to be on their physical mailing list to know about and purchase (by mailing a check). Pre-intetnet, obvs

I thought there was some kind of fee, or a subscription system where you had to buy some releases? It was before my time though, so perhaps I mis-remember what read about it years ago.

37 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I thought there was some kind of fee, or a subscription system where you had to buy some releases? It was before my time though, so perhaps I mis-remember what read about it years ago.

Maybe a fee to cover the cost of sending updates by snail mail? It hadn't occurred to me that this would be before the days of just e-mailing customers.

Although you'd think that just keeping a website up to date (which is probably how a lot of their customers find out nowadays) would be enough? Varese would have a website at that point, right?

It would be kind of cool to have a soundtrack club where there would be members-only exclusive releases with extra tracks or exclusive packaging for subscribers. 

I disagree as you'd therefore be restricting the availability of a score in an age where the Internet makes that unneeded.

The current practice of putting exclusive tracks on non-soundtrack releases for different countries doesn't make sense to me because people can just buy (or will just 'obtain') those tracks anyway.

I’d add “digitally” to that.  Still got a chip on my shoulder about vinyl-exclusive tracks and the odd streaming-exclusive track (the latter of which at least has been dodged by film scores as far as I know, minus the brief periods where Doctor Strange 2 and LOTR).

Yeah, they were both streaming exclusive but only for a short period - for RoP, I’m sure it was to drive all traffic toward Amazon Music, and for Doctor Strange I’m sure it was because they planned on leaving a few tracks off of the release for a few weeks to avoid cameo spoilers.

4 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm not sure what I'd like next from them actually - it's more which titles for which we have leaks/iso scores/etc, would be the most fun to see as a properly mastered and presented set - I, Robot, Ice Age, Sphere. I don't have a lot left that is actually completely unavailable. It would also be nice to have The 13th Warrior in nice remastered sound and whatever is missing.

There’s about 17 minutes missing and it’s all good stuff! (Although, it is “out there” already… unlike say Medicine Man’s missing quarter hour of music!)

I think Sphere only leaked in lossy audio, right? So definitely at the top of my list, along with Goldenthal’s Demolition Man. Speaking of my wish list, maybe you’ll see some other stuff on it you want. I want complete Deluxe Editions of…
The Secret Garden (Preisner)
Carlito’s Way (Doyle)
Paulie (Debney)
Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers (Revell)
Christopher Columbus: The Discovery (Eidelman)
Terminal Velocity (McNeely)
Black Robe (Delerue)
Terminator 3 (Beltrami)
Frankie Starlight (Bernstein)
Final Analysis (Fenton)
Mists of Avalon (Holdridge)
The Happening (Howard)
Hudson Hawk (Kamen)
Hot Shots Part Deux (Poledouris)
M Butterfly (Shore)
The Dark Half (Young)
Memoirs of an Invisible Man (Walker)
Forever Amber (Raksin)
Year of the Comet (Mann, plus Barry premiere!)

And of course I want the complete film recordings of the 80s trilogy Varese oddly owns in perpetuity thanks to the rerecordings they did:
Eye of the Needle (Rozsa)
Brainstorm (Horner)
Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure (Elfman)

Yavar

I appear to have Sphere in lossless, although whether it actually is I neither know nor care (fake transcodes being fashionable) - it sounds fine to me. I'd obviously buy it.

I seem to remember on viewing a clip of part of the final battle in The 13th Warrior that something sounded different from the OST track so there may be a 'film version' of that, but otherwise I think the extra material struck me as just 'nice to have'. I'm a little more interested in the remastering aspect of a DE.

Ice Age would be another one that has some very nice extra material.

A members-only exclusive Soundtrack Club would be great, it would boost the sales of the label, because collectors would pay more to get more music and a better product. Regular customers would still get a “complete” release, members would get an even more complete one. 

I tried using google to search the FSM forum to see if someone made a post reminiscing about how the original Varese Club worked but I couldn't find one

He doesn't seem to want to post much lately, unless he's selling something, or if I got a detail wrong about a Perry Mason episode I watched

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

He doesn't seem to want to post much lately, unless he's selling something or if I got a detail wrong about a Perry Mason episode I watched

i got a confused emoji from him recently. it's comforting to know he's still out there  :wub2:

I remember getting the actual V/S Club newsletter thingey in the post when they announced the first batch of titles. If memory serves I think I had to send a SAE to their mailing address to get it. I certainly didn't have to pay anything for it, as I wouldn't have had any way to do so back then.

https://www.facebook.com/varesesarabanderecords/posts/pfbid01PtU6D16pPRyGo4WwsfRQYPGbEuib6h6GRUgUQC8k32T3o8rPGm39qCVU4K6s5r2l

Sooo... Alamy describes the top image as a shootout betwen gangsters in the 30s, and the bottom one is pretty obviously a trap.

What about Fierce Creatures for the bottom one?

353443931_732906055503033_31937509358741

354195562_732906042169701_10972266517884

I'd have said L.A. Confidential for the top one if that hadn't already come out. Not aware offhand of what other gangster/noir soundtracks they've done.

Mouse Hunt seems a decent call.