The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

He's got a pretty interesting style. A heavy low-key sound with driving beats and rhythms. Probably what'd you get if you created a pure breed between John Powell and Hans Zimmer. So far he's done well IMO, and is a solid 3 for 3. Robin Hood is the test, to see if he can adapt and change it up. It's nothing like the films he's scored before, so I'm anticipating what he'll come up with this time around. I mean, it has to be different, I can't imagine this film with music like that of American Gangster.

I think he's got no discernable style...but his last two Scott scores were far, far, far, better than any RCP score not by Zimmer, Powell, or HGW. Good themes and pretty nice colors to both, certainly more interesting than your Jablonskys.

I haven't seen a trailer yet

I saw a trailer in the cinema about a month ago and it made the film look like an unnecessary, generic piece of tosh from my viewpoint.

And it is indeed the sort of project that will test the metal of someone relatively obscure. I expect a couple of damn good themes and some action sequences that put modern JW to shame, Mr Streitenfeld.

I wouldn't count on it.

SOURPUSS!

:D

Seriously, with CLASH OF THE TITANS being the writing on the wall how Hollywood likes its potboilers scored for their demographic target group anno 2010, a substantial Streitenfeld score would be a more than pleasing surprise.

(given Sir Ridleys recent preferences how his film music should sound, i rather doubt it)

LOST: Season 5

Original Television Soundtrack

Music Composed by Michael Giacchino

The epic story of LOST twists, turns and time shifts in its brilliant fifth season. When destiny calls, the Oceanic 6 frantically race back to the island. Discover what forced them to return and find out the fate of all those who were left behind.

Academy Award-winner Michael Giacchino’s music has played a huge role in the series from the very beginning, and our latest collection of LOST musical highlights contains over 60 minutes of Season 5’s touching and thrilling score.

LOST Season 5 is now available on DVD and BluRay from ABC Home Video — and the show’s thrilling sixth and final season is currently airing on ABC.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 067 025 2

Release Date: 05/11/10

I'm not quite excited about the Season 5 soundtrack release since it pretty much just sounded like reused bits of Season 4 (though that music was my favorite in the series). Anyone else agree?

Jacob's Theme along makes me very excited for the Season 5 OST.

And I'm sure the OST will focus on the bits of music that aren't reminiscent of bits that have already been released, so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm more concerned with its shorter running length.

I'm not quite excited about the Season 5 soundtrack release since it pretty much just sounded like reused bits of Season 4 (though that music was my favorite in the series). Anyone else agree?

To my ears I heard the best music in Season 5 . But that's just a general impression

Yea while season 5 was airing was basically when I got really excited about LOST music, started noticing themes in the episodes more, the S4 OST came out which was great, etc.

I don't think Season 5 was the best season for Giacchino's score, but it was less of a rehash than Season 4, at least. There's some good stuff thrown in there.

Season 6 is gonna blow it out of the water, though. :D

Very, very difficult to say. IMO, it's not season 4 or season 6 (thus far), but the other four all have definite strong points. Not sure I could pick a favorite. Season 1 has a charming innocence and simplicity and newness, but the mythology is so limited that there isn't as much for me to be fascinated by. Season 2 has awesome stuff with DHARMA and the Others, but there are also some really weird, crappy episodes thrown into the mix. Season 3 has a lot of cool stuff with the Others, but also suffers in the first half from some weird, random elements. And season 5 was just an all-out geekfest for me...loved it, though I don't like it quite as much in retrospect now.

Season 4 came together nicely at the end, but there were a lot of things about it that annoyed me, and as we've discussed in the thread, season 6 is cool, but it's just been...slower than I expected. Feels like they're just setting up for an amazing finale, whereas other seasons tended to work a little better on an episode-to-episode basis. But I haven't seen last night's yet, so maybe that's changing now. :D

And then as for music, I have trouble picking between 1, 2, 3, and 6. Awesome music all around.

I've got a group of friends I'm planning on watching it with tonight - they couldn't meet last night, and it's fun to see it for the first time with them. The only thing is, doing that requires a tremendous amount of...patience. Boy, I'm on a roll here!

yeah I felt that last noght episode when further than the provious last ones, which was just time killing with a bit of revelations in the last 5 minutes

Season One is the best season, and frankly, none of the others are particularly close to it. But all of them are pretty great, and if the rest of this season goes well, it stands a good chance of being at least being in the top half.

SHREK FOREVER AFTER

Original Motion Picture Score

Music Composed by Harry Gregson-Williams

After challenging an evil dragon, rescuing a beautiful princess and saving your in-laws' kingdom, what's an ogre to do? Well, if you're Shrek, you suddenly wind up a domesticated family man. Instead of scaring villagers away like he used to, a reluctant Shrek now agrees to autograph pitchforks. What's happened to this ogre's roar? Longing for the days when he felt like a "real ogre," Shrek is duped into signing a pact with the smooth-talking dealmaker, Rumpelstiltskin. Shrek suddenly finds himself in a twisted, alternate version of Far Far Away, where ogres are hunted, Rumpelstiltskin is king and Shrek and Fiona have never met. Now, it's up to Shrek to undo all he's done in the hopes of saving his friends, restoring his world and reclaiming his one rue Love.

Composer Harry Gregson-Williams returns with a lush, magical score for the final chapter in the Shrek saga.

DreamWorks Animation will open Shrek Forever After on May 21.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 067 024 2

Release Date: 05/18/10

I wish John Powell had stayed and HGW had left the Shrek series as far as the music goes. The last 2 scores have been snooze fests.

I love the first Shrek, score and film, second score is average to me (I have a few tracks) but I do like the third. It seems to have just about pulled out as much musical inspiration as was possible from the film, but I wouldn't say it's anywhere close to the first.

Varese has posted front and back covers for all their May 11th releases to their website:

Mother and Child:

Front Cover: http://www.varesesar...2-067-021-2.jpg

Back Cover: http://www.varesesar...2-067-021-2.jpg

Robin Hood:

Front Cover: http://www.varesesar...2-067-020-2.jpg

Back Cover: http://www.varesesar...2-067-020-2.jpg

LOST Season 5:

Front Cover: http://www.varesesar...2-067-025-2.jpg

Back Cover: http://www.varesesar...2-067-025-2.jpg

and the blurb for Robin Hood is up

Academy Award Winner Russell Crowe

Academy Award Winner Cate Blanchett

Oscar® winner Russell Crowe stars as the legendary figure known by generations as Robin Hood, whose exploits have endured in popular mythology and ignited the imagination of those who share his spirit of adventure and righteousness. In 13th century England, Robin and his band of marauders confront corruption in a local village and lead an uprising against the crown that will forever alter the balance of world power. And whether thief or hero, one man from humble beginnings will become an eternal symbol of freedom for his people.

Robin Hood chronicles the life of an expert archer, previously interested only in self-preservation, from his service in King Richard's army against the French. Upon Richard's death, Robin travels to Nottingham, a town suffering from the corruption of a despotic sheriff and crippling taxation, where he falls for the spirited widow Lady Marion (Oscar® winner Cate Blanchett), a woman skeptical of the identity and motivations of this crusader from the forest. Hoping to earn the hand of Maid Marion and salvage the village, Robin assembles a gang whose lethal mercenary skills are matched only by its appetite for life. Together, they begin preying on the indulgent upper class to correct injustices under the sheriff.

With their country weakened from decades of war, embattled from the ineffective rule of the new king and vulnerable to insurgencies from within and threats from afar, Robin and his men heed a call to ever greater adventure. This unlikeliest of heroes and his allies set off to protect their country from slipping into bloody civil war and return glory to England once more.

Director Ridley Scott, whose Gladiator brought a contemporary spin to the world of ancient Rome, takes a similar turn with the Robin Hood legend, with a striking new score by Marc Streitenfeld, who also collaborated on the director's Body Of Lies and American Gangster.

Kicking off the Summer blockbuster season, Universal Pictures will open ROBIN HOOD on over 3500 screens on May 14.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 067 020 2

Release Date: 05/11/10

Track List:

1. Destiny (3:35)

2. Creatures (2:09)

3. Fate Has Smiled Upon Us (2:01)

4. Godfrey (3:32)

5. Ambush (1:14)

6. Pact Sworn In Blood (2:52)

7. Returning The Crown (1:13)

8. Planting The Fields (1:17)

9. Sherwood Forest (2:19)

10. John Is King (4:01)

11. Robin Speaks (2:31)

12. Killing Walter (1:58)

13. Nottingham Burns (2:11)

14. Siege (2:09)

15. Landing Of The French (2:46)

16. Walter's Burial (3:04)

17. Preparing For Battle (2:38)

18. Charge (1:18)

19. Clash (2:41)

20. The Final Arrow (2:29)

21. The Legend Begins (1:27)

22. Merry Men (1:48)

http://www.varesesarabande.com/details.asp?pid=vsd-302-067-020-2

He's a new one on me too.....on his imDb profile it appears he's been pretty settled in the RC/MV world for some years, but has occasionally knocked out the ocasional score of his own - though I have hardly heard of any of the movies he has composed for - let alone heard the scores. Will be interesting to see what he comes up with I think.

Will be interesting to see what he comes up with I think.

Indeed. I'm looking forward to listening to some samples once they become available. Interesting that Scott passed on Zimmer for a project of this scale.

Steitenfeld did Scott's last 3 films, so it was pretty much a given that he'd return for this one. Before he started composing he mostly worked as Zimmer's assistant. I do kinda wish though that Zimmer would return for this one, it would fit him perfectly. But then again the movie was lowered to PG-13, so it's gonna suck theatrically. I'm now anticipating Scott's director's cut.

They filmed Robin Hood as a r-rated movie then re-cut it to pg13 after the fact?

Why would a Robin Hood movie need to be R?

They filmed Robin Hood as a r-rated movie then re-cut it to pg13 after the fact?

Why would a Robin Hood movie need to be R?

This ain't no Kevin Costner fluff. I may be wrong about cutting it to PG-13, but I thought it said R on the original trailer. It's Ridley Scott, it's gritty, it's war, why would it be PG-13?

The official site has a looping clip in the b/g with what I assume is Streitenfeld's main theme. It's okay, but not the best I've heard.

I like the Lost tracklist. Fewer, longer tracks than previous releases. I prefer that to the fragmented first couple of albums which I've never gotten into.

Steitenfeld did Scott's last 3 films, so it was pretty much a given that he'd return for this one. Before he started composing he mostly worked as Zimmer's assistant.

Is that so. That kind of ... um, speaks for itself. :P :P