The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

Is How to Train your Dragon any good? Should I buy it?

Well you can listen to the entire album here for free :Musicme. Just search for John Powell and you'll find a lot of his albums, including How to Train You Dragon.

• 2 weeks later...
NEW LIMITED EDITIONS!

Date: 5/4/2010 Coming on May 10 will be our announcement of a new pair of releases in our limited edition series focusing on contemporary film scores. Our first releases of the series were John Debney's THE STONING OF SORAYA M., Marco Beltrami's IN THE ELECTRIC MIST, Brian Tyler's THE KILLING ROOM and Jeff Beal's STONE COLD.

Yes, you should.

It is excellent. If this score is not nominated for a Grammy and Oscar...well, there's something wrong with the awards system anyways, but still.

Yes, you should.

It is excellent. If this score is not nominated for a Grammy and Oscar...well, there's something wrong with the awards system anyways, but still.

I don't think it's that great. It's orchestral and soaring and all but nothing stuck with me .i didn't retain a single cue I'd want to put in some compilation of film music

...and another ~40 min release. I know there are reuse fees, but honestly, is that the best they can do?

Maybe only 40 minutes of music was written for the film. Maybe that's all the composer wanted released. Don't be too quick to judge

I don't think How to Train your Dragon's that great. It's orchestral and soaring and all but nothing stuck with me .i didn't retain a single cue I'd want to put in some compilation of film music

You're welcome to that opinion. I know it's the most played album on my iPod in the last month, and I enjoy it fully cranked in the car, with the windows down, over and over again, "singing" along with the triumphant parts.

At the same time, I never make "compilations" of film music. I started to make a soundtrack sampler playlist for my iPod, but it's a lot of work and I stopped at around C or D.

I listen to my ipod a lot. Whenever a track I really like pops up I press the center button to save it in a "on the go" play list so you don't forget about it.After it's saved to your computer when you hook up your ipod so I can drag those tracks into another playlist

I do this with scores with 1 or 2 tracks worth saving but otherwise wouldn't re-listen to .I weeded out all the Final Fantasy music that way too

...and another ~40 min release. I know there are reuse fees, but honestly, is that the best they can do?

Besides, it's not like HGW has brought anything new to Shrek since the first film. There's not a lot of music to begin with, especially since they use songs to score the film as well.

Varese has removed two titles from their club section that hadn't sold out:

Jerry Goldsmith's Studs Lonigan, which features John Williams on the piano. The other missing score is Elmer Bernstein's Cast A Giant Shadow.

Normally that would mean the rights have expired but there are titles issued before those two that are still available. Or perhaps sales have been so slow on those two that Varese decided to delete them.

Shame if that's the case, two fine scores.

Thinking about picking up Studs from SAE. To those familiar with it, how would you describe it?

Funny name for a movie.

MARMADUKE

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by Christopher Lennertz

Marmaduke, the world's most lovable Great Dane, leaps from comic strip fame (appearing in 600 newspapers in over 20 countries) to big screen stardom. In this family comedy event, the "Duke" is living large in Orange County, California. But fitting in with his new four-legged friends — and a potential romantic interest — isn't always easy for a super-sized teenage dog.

Marmaduke stars Owen Wilson (Marley And Me) as the voice of Marmaduke, Lee Pace, Judy Greer, and William H. Macy, plus the voices of Kiefer Sutherland, George Lopez, Fergie, Emma Stone, Damon Wayans, Marlon Wayans, Christopher Mintz-Plasse.

Composer Christopher Lennertz makes his Varèse Sarabande debut with this spirited and playful score.

20th Century Fox opens Marmaduke nationwide on June 4.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 067 033 2

Release Date: 06/22/10

THE A-TEAM

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by Alan Silvestri

THE A-TEAM follows the exciting and daring exploits of a colorful team of former Special Forces soldiers who were set up for a crime they did not commit. Going "rogue,' they utilize their unique talents to try and clear their names and find the true culprit. Liam Neeson (Schindler's List, Taken) portrays Hannibal Smith, a master planner of inventive missions requiring split-second timing, unusual skills and a team of incredibly proficient and … eccentric soldiers; Bradley Cooper (The Hangover) is Templeton "Face" Peck, who can procure anything for the Team's unorthodox and daring activities; top-rated UFC light heavyweight Quinton "Rampage" Jackson is B.A. Baracas, the Team's driver and muscle; and Sharlto Copley (District 9) is H.M "Howling Mad" Murdock, a gifted pilot — and certified loon. Jessica Biel (The Illusionist) stars as Capt. Charisa Sosa, a former love interest of Face's, but who's now relentlessly pursuing the Team for a crime not of their doing. Patrick Wilson (Watchmen) is Lynch, a mysterious CIA operative who is a key player in the Team's most explosive mission.

The high-octane adrenaline-fueled score is by Alan Silvestri (Night At The Museum).

20th Century Fox deploys THE A-TEAM nationwide on June 11.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 067 032 2

Release Date: 06/22/10

To imply that he didn't use his talent in this score, or that the quality of a score is directly related to the quality of a film, or that you can even judge the film before seeing it, are all ludicrous statements

Every Chris Lennertz film score has sucked. He kinda came close to something decent with Adam, but that's it. For some reason only his game scores are good. A better film can inspire a better score, is what I'm trying to say here. It happens, but it's not a common thing for bad films to have good scores.

I predict we'll see the following scores from Varese coming in the near future:

Arlo & Janis

Cathy

Luann

FoxTrot

Tank McNamara

Shoe

It's looks like there are a few copies of "Top Secret" is available in SAE.

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/4934/TOP-SECRET/

Anyway, since it was oop for a long time, I'm happy to have a chance to get one. I've ordered it. By the way, is the score good?

It's a good score, Jarre plays it straight, it's a littlemore subdued than Bernstein's Airplane!. I like Jarre's love theme.

Unfortunately the mastering of the disc is rather poor. Don't know if it's due to the condition of the tapes though.

CD CLUB ANNOUNCEMENT!

Date: 5/23/2010

On Monday, May 31 we will announce a single, special CD release.

If this upcoming release isn't Spartacus, what other titles do you think might qualify?

I'd say:

Conan The Barbarian Deluxe edition

To Kill A Mockingbird original tracks

The 10 Commandments Deluxe edition

The High And The Mighty

Star Trek The Motion Picture Deluxe set

Other contenders,but not likely:

Family Plot, Gremlins or Psycho (original tracks)

It wasn't stated which label was working on it.

However, given that Varese is the one lable that keeps things under wraps 99% of the time, I would guess that FP is coming from either FSM, Intrada or LaLaLand.

But you never know.

SAE is the distributor for FSM so they know what titles are coming from Lukas and co, as evident by the Rozsa box and Star Trek III hints/confirmations.

And it's possible they may know what other labels are doing too.

****edit*****

Hmm Varese changed their description:

On Monday, May 31 we will announce a single, special 2-CD Club release.

http://www.varesesarabande.com/News.asp

Perhaps it's not Spartacus, or my worst fears have come true.

I refer people back to this article from april...

http://www.underscores.fr/index.php/2010/04/interview-varese-sarabande-by-robert-townson-vo/4/

He said he'd continue working on his 1000th when he returned fro Ubeda.

My guess is a McNeely recording of Quo Vadis. Really.

Well because McNeely ran a poll on his site for what score people wanted him to record next and posted the results in January 2008. Quo Vadis was the winner.

http://www.joelmcneely.com/blog/music/

Couple that with the Rozsa estate telling Tadlow that they couldn't record it because there were other plans for the score.

I remember McNeely posting that but I assumed the Rozsa estate was referring to the box set from FSM.

Well now that I know it's 2 discs I think Spartacus isn't going to be announced. At least I hope not.

Odd that Varese would set aside the club release for Quo Vadis only. Unless Robert Townson has spent most of his time working on a mega deluxe Spartacus, I hope.

With alternates and the full score you have about 3 hours of music.

I did some quick calculations and it might be possible to do the complete score and the tribute album on 2 discs. Of course that's also assuming there's not a bunch of music that was cut from the film.