The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

Yes, some very lovely passages. But also its more about re-ordering, the OST is a crazy amalgam of film cues and stuff recorded just for the album, in a completely random order

Ya there's still quite a bit missing from the original album. The album in a way is not a bad presentation but I would prefer the full score and with out the Christmas songs.

Edit: Jay beat me to it.

Home Alone is great, but you're right about the album. Complete mess. A sure nominee for Williams' worst presentation. Ad editing it is a real bitch. I finally gave up.

Only worst if you rank it by chronological accuracy. I think it works fine as its own listening experience.

It's missing the part where Kevin kisses the family photo goodnight. Also, the first break-in attempt and the complete Attack of the House with the film version of the swing to the tree house.

Only worst if you rank it by chronological accuracy. I think it works fine as its own listening experience.

Indeed. As-is, it is a wonderful Christmas album. Songs and all. Incomplete but indicative of album lengths of the time. I have never whittled it or its sequel down to just the score for round-the-year listening. I figure those and my TSO albums have zero play counts on my iPod.

Who knows if Home Alone II will get re-issued or not. Perhaps in a few years it might. It would be nice if one of the labels were to release a complete score for the first Home Alone film. It's long over due.

As long as Home Alone 2 took to sell out, I doubt it would be considered for reissue any time soon.

Home Alone is great, but you're right about the album. Complete mess. A sure nominee for Williams' worst presentation. Ad editing it is a real bitch. I finally gave up.

Agreed. It's a great album to listen to. It's always gotten a lot of play here around the holidays.

It's missing the part where Kevin kisses the family photo goodnight. Also, the first break-in attempt and the complete Attack of the House with the film version of the swing to the tree house.

Word

As long as Home Alone 2 took to sell out, I doubt it would be considered for reissue any time soon.

That's a good point. That's why I said maybe in a few years it may get a re-issue.

I too generally play the Home Alone scores around Christmas time. Seems a bit odd to play them any other time of the year.

Yes. I've become such a chronological snob lately. Home Alone drives me nuts. But back when chronology didn't bother me, it was one of my favorites. Still gets PLENTY of love during the holidays.

There's domething unique and... "quaint" maybe about Home Alone 1 that Home Alone 2 doesn't quite capture. Home ALone 2 is much more elaborate, and even almost over the top at times... and just louder and longer.

They both have their merits

Home Alone was one of those little great lovely works that Williams seems able to pull off with such grace and gusto. It's a charming score imbued with lovely references to Tchaikovsky and Prokofiev. I still remember it was very strange back then to see his name attached to what looked like a silly comedy. However, the film did unexpected ginormous box-office and seemed to reinforce the idea that Williams had the super-power of only choosing films that would become huge successes. It's interesting to note that he accepted to do it because he saw an opportunity to write original Christmas-themed music. On a trivia note, Bruce Broughton was originally assigned to write the score, but he had to walk off because of scheduling conflict.

As for the sequel, Williams clearly had a very narrow road to walk on, as the film is de facto a carbon copy of the first one, with just different location (hence the verbatim quotes from the first score). But there are several great new moments throughout: the Plaza Hotel music is lovely and the rambunctious Prokofiev-esque action music is quite exciting for a silly movie like this one.

The titles showed up at Colosseum.

A GATHERING OF EAGLES

THE THREE FACES OF EVE / THE SNAKE PIT

THE FORMULA

FIMUCITE 2

NIGHTFLYERS

There's domething unique and... "quaint" maybe about Home Alone 1 that Home Alone 2 doesn't quite capture. Home ALone 2 is much more elaborate, and even almost over the top at times... and just louder and longer.

I agree, for that reason, I listen to Home Alone more often. I mainly listen to Lost in New York when I have a hankering for one of the new Christmas songs, or "To the Plaza Presto."

Since I didn't recognize any of those titles, I looked 'em up. The composers, respectively, are:

Jerry Goldsmith

Robert Emmett Dolan / Alfred Newman

Bill Conti

(My Googling tells me Fimucité is a concert...?)

Doug Timm

The Gathering Of The Eagles Jerry Goldsmith, limited to 3,000 copies.

The Snake Pit / The Three Faces Of Eve Alfred Newman, Robert Emmett Dolan, limited to 1,500 copies.

The Formula Bill Conti, limited to 1,200 copies.

Fimucite 2: Closing Night Gala 2008 (DVD & CD) Diego Navarro, Joel McNeely, limited to 1,000 copies.

I bought the CD/DVD Fimucité release. It's my believe that this sort of release -- like the one from Ubeda with Poledouris -- deserves all of our suport and that if this releases get sold quickly will likely make more of this thing produced and released. Personally, I'm looking forward to the 2001 live performance.

The Gathering Of The Eagles Jerry Goldsmith, limited to 3,000 copies.

The Snake Pit / The Three Faces Of Eve Alfred Newman, Robert Emmett Dolan, limited to 1,500 copies.

The Formula Bill Conti, limited to 1,200 copies.

Fimucite 2: Closing Night Gala 2008 (DVD & CD) Diego Navarro, Joel McNeely, limited to 1,000 copies.

Trent i hope you didn't stay up till 3am to find out what they were, since they already leaked 12 hours prior at 3 in the afternoon on sunday

I bought the CD/DVD Fimucité release. It's my believe that this sort of release -- like the one from Ubeda with Poledouris -- deserves all of our suport and that if this releases get sold quickly will likely make more of this thing produced and released. Personally, I'm looking forward to the 2001 live performance.

Agreed 100% Miguel, this release is the most important of the bunch to me, considering how few film music DVD's are out there are in circulation! Looks like a great programme of music too and at a good price with the bonus CD.

- Tim

Home Alone was one of those little great lovely works that Williams seems able to pull off with such grace and gusto. It's a charming score imbued with lovely references to Tchaikovsky and Prokofiev. I still remember it was very strange back then to see his name attached to what looked like a silly comedy. However, the film did unexpected ginormous box-office and seemed to reinforce the idea that Williams had the super-power of only choosing films that would become huge successes. It's interesting to note that he accepted to do it because he saw an opportunity to write original Christmas-themed music. On a trivia note, Bruce Broughton was originally assigned to write the score, but he had to walk off because of scheduling conflict.

As for the sequel, Williams clearly had a very narrow road to walk on, as the film is de facto a carbon copy of the first one, with just different location (hence the verbatim quotes from the first score). But there are several great new moments throughout: the Plaza Hotel music is lovely and the rambunctious Prokofiev-esque action music is quite exciting for a silly movie like this one.

:cool:

Trent i hope you didn't stay up till 3am to find out what they were, since they already leaked 12 hours prior at 3 in the afternoon on sunday

I live in Utah so it was only 1am for me no big deal. I know the names of the titles for this batch had leaked a few hours before hand. I was all ready up since I wasn't tired enough to sleep.

The Tudors: Season 4

By Trevor Morris

Showtime's THE TUDORS — a favorite with critics and audiences — presents the rarely dramatized, tumultuous early years of King Henry VIII's nearly 40-year, omnipotent reign (1509 – 1547). In addition to his famous female consorts, his 20+-year marriage to Catherine of Aragon, and the infamous dalliance with Anne Boleyn, THE TUDORS delves into Henry's most notable political relationship and the deconstruction of the Roman Catholic Church in England. Season 4 — the final season — focuses on Henry's ill-fated marriage to Katherine Howard, his uncommonly successful final marriage with Katherine Parr, an attempted invasion of France and the question of the kingdom's leadership after Henry's death.

Composer Trevor Morris won the 2007 Emmy Award for Best Theme for THE TUDORS and his music for Season 4 exhibits his best work yet, allowing him the opportunity to bring this epic saga to a powerful close.

Season 4 of THE TUDORS will be available on DVD and BluRay on October 12.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 067 049 2

Release Date: 10/12/10

Track List:

1. The Tudors Main Titles (1:34)

2. Dancing In The Rain (1:31)

3. An Emotionally Detached King (2:00)

4. From Their Bellies Like Two Sparrows (1:13)

5. Culpepper's Secret Rendezvous (2:03)

6. Yours As Long As Life Endures (1:40)

7. A King's Procession (1:51)

8. Katherine And Culpepper Have Sex (2:52)

9. Dereham Tortured (:39)

10. The Execution Ballet (4:35)

11. Henry Gets Drunk With Women (:57)

12. Praying For The Prince's Life (1:10)

13. Henry Arrives In For War (2:57)

14. Lighting The Fuse (:57)

15. Boulogne Falls (1:38)

16. Brandon Loves Bridgette (1:15)

17. Anne Askew Examined More Closely (2:53)

18. Mary Told Of Chapuys Death (2:00)

19. Surrey Plots For The Prince (1:08)

20. Anne Askew Burned (3:02)

21. Henry Asks Parliament For Unity (2:01)

22. Surrey Found Guilty (3:11)

23. Time Of Which We Have No Knowledge (:48)

24. I The Eighth Henry / Brandon Lux Aeterna (4:05)

25. Henry Says Goodbye To His Family (2:36)

26. Henry Dreams Of Death (1:33)

27. It Is Well Done / The End Of A Dynasty (2:47)

Hachi: A Dog's Tale

By Jan A.P. Kaczmarek

From Academy Award-nominated director Lasse Hallström (The Cider House Rules) comes Hachi: a Dog's Tale, a film based on one of the most treasured and heartwarming true stories ever told. Golden Globe winner Richard Gere (Chicago) stars as Professor Parker Wilson, a distinguished scholar who discovers a lost Akita puppy on his way home from work. Despite initial objections from Wilson's wife, Cate (Academy Award nominee Joan Allen , The Contender), Hachi endears himself into the Wilson family and grows to be Parker's loyal companion. As their bond grows deeper, a beautiful relationship unfolds embodying the true spirit of family and loyalty, while inspiring the hearts of an entire town.

Jan A.P. Kaczmarek (Unfaithful, The Visitor) provides a poignant and uplifting score.

HACHI: A DOG'S TALE is available on Sony Pictures Home Entertainment DVD and BluRay.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 067 048 2

Release Date: 10/12/10

Track List:

1. Japan (3:25)

2. New Home (1:45)

3. The Foot (2:39)

4. Dance Rehearsal (2:14)

5. Storm And The Rescue (1:35)

6. The Second Dance (:50)

7. Under The Fence (1:50)

8. Treats From Cate (1:50)

9. Parker's Dance Played On Piano (3:41)

10. Parker & Hachi Walk To The Station (2:02)

11. Baby (1:22)

12. Marriage Bath (3:26)

13. Fetch (2:10)

14. To Train Together (3:23)

15. Packing Boxes (2:13)

16. Parker & Hachi (3:26)

17. Hachiko Runs Away (4:26)

18. Memory Of The Storm ( 1:34)

19. Hachi — Waiting For Parker Again (2:49)

20. Hachi — Last Trip To The Station (2:04)

21. Goodbye (2:08)

22. Hachi, Parker & Cate — Memories (3:52)

From Varese's facebook:

QUANTITY ALERT: Fewer than 50 copies remain on Oscar:The Color Of Destiny by Diego Navarro.

QUANTITY ALERT: Fewer than 100 copies remain on Passchendaele by Jan A.P. Kaczmarek.

QUANTITY ALERT: Fewer than 200 copies remain on Short Circuit by David Shire.

QUANTITY ALERT: Fewer than 50 copies remain on Nightflyers by Doug Timm.

QUANTITY ALERT: Fewer than 150 copies remain on The Formula by Bill Conti.

QUANTITY ALERT: Fewer than 100 copies remain on Fimucite 2: Closing Night Gala 2008 (DVD & CD).

GET LOW

Original Motion Picture Score

Music Composed by Jan A.P. Kaczmarek

Robert Duvall

Sissy Spacek

Bill Murray

Lucas Black

Get Low is inspired by the true story of Felix “Bush” Breazeale, who attracted national attention and the largest crowd to assemble up to that date when he threw himself a living funeral party in 1938 in Roane County, Tennessee.

For years, townsfolk have been terrified of the backwoods recluse known as Felix Bush (Robert Duvall). People say he’s done all manner of unspeakable things, and they avoid him like the plague. Then, one day, Felix rides to town with a shotgun and a wad of cash, saying he wants to buy a living funeral, in which anyone who ever had heard a story about him will come to tell it, while he takes it all in.

Sensing a big payday in the offing, fast-talking funeral home owner Frank Quinn (Bill Murray) enlists his gentlemanly young apprentice, Buddy Robinson (Lucas Black), who discovers that behind Felix’s surreal plan lies a very real and long-held secret that must get out. As the funeral approaches, the mystery — which involves the widow Mattie Darrow (Sissy Spacek), the only person in town who ever got close to Felix, and the Illinois preacher Charlie Jackson (Bill Cobbs), who refuses to speak at his former friend‘s funeral — only deepens. But on the big day, Felix is the one who is going to do the telling about why he has been hiding out in the woods.

Employing a string quartet accompanied by piano, the score by Acadamy Award-winning composer Jan A.P. Kaczmarek (Finding Neverland) suggests a sense of mystery and anticipation, eventually swelling to a full orchestral setting.

Sony Pictures Classics’ Get Low was met with great acclaim when it began its rollout on July 30.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #:302 067 051 2

Release Date: 12/07/10

It's not another club batch, its their Limited Edition series... the line that has included so far:

• VSD-4201 The Stoning Of Soraya M. - John Debney
  • VSD-4202 In The Electric Mist - Marco Beltrami
  • VSD-4203 Jesse Stone: Stone Cold - Jeff Beal
  • VSD-4204 The Killing Room - Brian Tyler
  • VSD-4205 Oscar: The Color of Destiny - Diego Navarro
  • VSD-4206 Passchendaele - Jan A.P. Kaczmarek

It was about time they changed the look of their site. Definite improvement.

The site was down the other day when I checked it. I guess this was why.

As a web designer, I agree that it's much better.

Not going to win any awards but it's less cramped and easier on the eyes.

HOLY FUCK!!!

Limited to 5,000 copies

LOST: The Last Episodes

Original Television Soundtrack

Music Composed by Michael Giacchino

LOST's final season contained just too much great music from Michael Giacchino for a single or even a double CD to suffice. It was clear at the recording session for the series finale that our treatment of this historic television saga demanded an unprecedented final soundtrack release. In total we have chronicled LOST's final season with not one or two or even three CDs full of music, but a full 4 discs, featuring five hours of music! Lost: The Last Episodes now joins our previously released Lost: The Final Season to conclude our presentation of music from LOST's final sixteen episodes.

CD 1 of LOST: The Last Episodes features music from The Candidate, Across The Sea and What They Died For. Disc 2 is devoted solely to the epic and emotional concluding episode, The End. And that brings our LOST soundtrack series to a whopping ten discs! Bravo to Michael Giacchino and congratulations to J.J. Abrams, Damon Lindelof, Carlton Cuse, Bryan Burk and the entire LOST team! And thank you to all the LOST fans who have been part of this epic journey since Varèse Sarabande's Season 1 album. We are thrilled to offer this very special release to bring LOST's musical story to a moving and poignant end.

LOST Season 6 was released on DVD and BluRay from ABC Home Video on August 24.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 064 207 2

DISC ONE

1. Cage Crashers (:45)

2. Shephard's Why (1:08)

3. Sub-Primed (6:33)

4. SS Lost-tanic (6:56)

5. Flew The Coop (2:06)

6. Across the Sea (1:54)

7. Don't Look At the Light (3:31)

8. A Brother's Quarrel (2:58)

9. Make Like a Tree (6:10)

10. Mother of a Plan (5:14)

11. Mother of Sorrows (3:56)

12. Love is Stronger Than Death (2:51)

13. Cereal Experience (2:25)

14. The Four Amigos (1:13)

15. Walk And Talk And Aah! (2:31)

16. Hide and Snitch (3:00)

17. A Better Ben (1:56)

18. What They Died For (3:30)

19. Jack's Cup Runneth Over (1:41)

20. Get Out Of Jail Free Card (3:10)

DISC TWO

1. Parallelocam (3:23)

2. Leaver-age (1:10)

3. The Stick With Me Speech (3:05)

4. Ultrasonic Flash (2:52)

5. Fly By Dire (:52)

6. Down The Hobbit Hole (4:34)

7. Dysfunctional Setup (2:15)

8. The Well Of Holes (3:21)

9. Pulling Out All The Stops (2:28)

10. Blood From a Locke (:33)

11. Our Lady of Perpetual Labor (4:35)

12. If A Tree Falls (2:56)

13. Locke v. Jack (2:21)

14. Can't Keep Locke Down (2:51)

15. The Long Kiss Goodbye (5:29)

16. We Can Go Dutch (2:28)

17. Kate Flashes Jack (1:13)

18. Hurley's Coronation (2:47)

19. The Hole Shabang (7:29)

20. Aloha (1:12)

21. Closure (8:08)

22. Jumping Jack's Flash (:56)

23. Moving On (7:53)

Bonus Track:

24. Parting Words (Drive Shaft) (3:32)

ALSO: Desplat's The Special Relationship, limited to 1,000 copies.

I'm sorry, did I miss something? Are they now going to be limiting contemporary soundtracks by the most popular composers around? Limiting a Desplat to 1000 is pretty ridiculous.

I'm really, really starting to hate Varèse. It's always them that are adding a new dimension to the costliness of our niche and to the stupid limited edition business strategy:

e.g. Star Trek Deluxe, the unwillingness to give discounts to SAE and the other retailers, their unwillingness to put a lower price on the package so that non-US folk get nailed by customs; they were also the first to go 'mainstream' with the 500/1000/1500/etc. limited edition strategy (which prompted other labels to follow in order to keep up), and now this. They've got the most popular titles, usually, and that's why they get away with it.

(And that's even leaving out the fact that they're the first to have errors in their releases and then shut up about them, but let's not go there again.)

This is the first time I ordered from their Limited Edition line - and I got both of them. I'm glad to see that they followed up on Lost, between the 4 discs representing the final season I really have to say that they've given the customers what they wanted, rather than a half-assed presentation. Thanks!